Colombi Transferring

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
donlarson8

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by donlarson8 » July 15th, 2020, 8:47 pm

I’m officially back off the GA bandwagon.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 15th, 2020, 8:50 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 6:14 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 6:07 pm
I must say that I'm stunned at the level of knowledge on this board, people know all the inside info, between players and staff, we know that he will light it up at some P-5 school, despite the fact that he ended up at USU in the first place.

I guess to catch up with you folks I should ask my source that actually is in the locker room what is going on
This entire day has shown you know nothing. Sorry you got caught with your pants down. Now can we get back to your regularly scheduled posts about how poor and cheap all our alumni are? I also like the ones where you threaten to stop supporting the program, as if any of us care at all.
I did not get caught with my pants down. I was just making fun of those folks that post here, and all the knowledge, that they think they have. All the alums of USU are not cheap, most just do not give a damn. For you I shall quote what Rhett said to Scarlet quite frankly my dear I do not give a damn.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » July 15th, 2020, 8:54 pm

donlarson8 wrote:I’m officially back off the GA bandwagon.
It may turn out to be a good football decision in the end. Just not a good way to treat a kid that was committed to the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
ThunderAggie

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 15th, 2020, 9:02 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 6:17 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
I must say that I'm stunned at the level of knowledge on this board, people know all the inside info, between players and staff, we know that he will light it up at some P-5 school, despite the fact that he ended up at USU in the first place.

I guess to catch up with you folks I should ask my source that actually is in the locker room what is going on
This entire day has shown you know nothing. Sorry you got caught with your pants down. Now can we get back to your regularly scheduled posts about how poor and cheap all our alumni are? I also like the ones where you threaten to stop supporting the program, as if any of us care at all.
Ha ha. Best post on the board in a long time.

If that is the best post on the board for a long time, I guess you must not expect much, and have not received much quality information. That I do not think Henry was the second coming, and that USU has a lot of alums that just do not care. For me to get called on that is ok because I'm most likely right about both.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 15th, 2020, 9:07 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 8:54 pm
It may turn out to be a good football decision in the end. Just not a good way to treat a kid that was committed to the program.

The problem is that coach's are hired to win, if they do not of course they get fired, sometimes a head man needs to can a assistant coach or at least move him as what G.A. did with Ena. Henry chose to go another route, and I respect his decision and wish him well.

You made a good post. congrats

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 15th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:I have been among the most vehement Of those not wanting GA back, but I am with him on this one. One always tries to get talent when available. There are injuries, remember having to start 4th string Kent Myers a few years back.

Columbi must figure Shelley is better than him if he doesn’t have the “eggs” to fight for his job. With that outlook, odds are he could melt in a tight situation.

I still can’t believe GA was brought in over Jay Hill, and do not expect a very good season.
No. Henri just realizes it wouldn’t be a fair fight.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
AndroidAggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 15th, 2020, 9:15 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

I did not get caught with my pants down. I was just making fun of those folks that post here, and all the knowledge, that they think they have. All the alums of USU are not cheap, most just do not give a damn. For you I shall quote what Rhett said to Scarlet quite frankly my dear I do not give a damn.
There are some people who absolutely have inside connections on here. You’d be wise to pay attention when they speak.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » July 15th, 2020, 9:20 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 8:54 pm

Emphasis on the word 'may'. My personal opinion is that Columbi is as talented as Love and has a better football IQ than Love. I wish him the best and think he'll light it up where ever he lands as long as he is given the opportunity. No disrespect to Shelley. He is a legacy, and I welcome him to the Aggie family. If Shelley is really better than Columbi then Gary is a genius, however I do question a lot of decisions Gary has made...most notably at Oregon State. When he hired McGiven and our Linebacker coach (can't remember is name), I thought to myself...'wow' Gary is doing Utah State a favor by taking those two coaches. Last year's football team was one of the most uninspired teams I've seen in a long time at Utah State. I still support Gary, but he better produce within the next 2 years or he will lose my support. I can't imagine how the rest of the team feels right now.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 15th, 2020, 9:28 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:15 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

There are some people who absolutely have inside connections on here. You’d be wise to pay attention when they speak.

When people post so called inside information, and that information may be bad for the program, it certainly is not what the person that gave such information wants passed out.These are the ones I do not pay attention to. Also people that pass harmful information to boosters are not that bright, and maybe not trust worthy.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » July 15th, 2020, 9:30 pm

While I feel bad for how this went down for Henry, and I prefer is style of QB play. GA is similar to Whit in that he wants a running, dual threat style of QB. He's attempted this style of offense at every school he's been the HC at. So at some point you have to let the HC run his style of offense and Defense.
Why do you think Copper Legas was brought in when we had Josh Calvin commited. I would also expect another QB to leave as well. The problem with this style of offense is that you very rarely will make it through a season with a healthy QB. So I hope we have serviceable back ups, I'm not sure we do at this time based on what I've seen thus far.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 15th, 2020, 9:34 pm

After thinking about it for a while I have mixed emotions for a while. I think Columbi was going to be good, but the honest answer to that is it was still unknown how he would play being the guy. He may have lit it up, but we don't know that. According to his 247 recruiting page, Shelley held offers from Utah, Clemson, SMU, North Texas, Southern Mississippi and New Mexico. He certainly did not light it up at Utah, but he was thrust in as a Freshman half way through the season and did a decent job against high level competition. I am not certain how he will turn out at USU, but I will support him and hope that he lights it up. I just hope the offensive players rally around him. One thing is for sure is the offense will be completely different than what he have seen the last 2-3 years. It seems to be real run heavy with a mix a play action passing. Be interesting to watch.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
oleblu111

SLB

Post by SLB » July 15th, 2020, 9:40 pm

My bet is that he goes to Kentucky. He has practiced with the WRs, and WRs coach Bouknight is at Kentucky.

Bigd23
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bigd23 » July 15th, 2020, 9:46 pm

I felt that bringing in Shelley was a wise move to give us a better backup QB option in case Colombi was injured or struggled with Peasley coming off of a torn ACL. Now we still don't have good experienced depth at QB, but I think this is more about not going about things the process the right way and a lack of transparency and communication than anything else. Hindsight is 20/20 and we can't get there until the results of this decision play out. We've been through 4 or 5 QBs in a season before and it makes sense to have another option as a backup QB you could turn to if needed. Dual threat running QBs also tend to get injured so Shelley may not last much of the season, but I'm an Aggie and I'm on board with whomever the starter may be (unless it is Myers over Love, which was ridiculous).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bigd23 on July 15th, 2020, 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cbingham

Post by cbingham » July 15th, 2020, 9:47 pm

Don't get the outrage... examine the facts:

1) HCs have allegiance to themselves and winning
2) GA was on staff for exactly 1 year with both players
3) If he didn't think Shelley would add value to the team then Shelley isn't a take
4) Lots of schools take transfer QBs to add value despite expectations from current players. Hell, OK has made a half decade of it and I don't see a lot of fans on the Big 12 message boards crying foul.

How many Patriots fans cried for Drew Bledsoe because he deserved to be the starter in NE? I certainly feel bad for kids whose dreams don't come true but I feel worse after Aggie wins. If GA gets it right we all forget about this, if he gets it wrong then maybe we see a new coach in 2-3 years.

cbingham

Post by cbingham » July 15th, 2020, 9:49 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:34 pm
After thinking about it for a while I have mixed emotions for a while. I think Columbi was going to be good, but the honest answer to that is it was still unknown how he would play being the guy. He may have lit it up, but we don't know that. According to his 247 recruiting page, Shelley held offers from Utah, Clemson, SMU, North Texas, Southern Mississippi and New Mexico. He certainly did not light it up at Utah, but he was thrust in as a Freshman half way through the season and did a decent job against high level competition. I am not certain how he will turn out at USU, but I will support him and hope that he lights it up. I just hope the offensive players rally around him. One thing is for sure is the offense will be completely different than what he have seen the last 2-3 years. It seems to be real run heavy with a mix a play action passing. Be interesting to watch.
Cameron Rising will be the best Utah QB in 20 years... no shame in getting beat out by that guy... not sure that means he didn't light it up.

coolag

Post by coolag » July 15th, 2020, 9:57 pm

In Gary some trust!!!

Not me.

Regulator of Class

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » July 15th, 2020, 10:00 pm

For me, the last Ute qb I'd have wanted over our guy (including Colombi) would have to be Brian Johnson. I'm disappointed with this development.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » July 15th, 2020, 10:02 pm

cbingham wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:49 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Cameron Rising will be the best Utah QB in 20 years... no shame in getting beat out by that guy... not sure that means he didn't light it up.
Cameron Rising isn’t even their projected starter right now.

jpswensen

Colombi Transferring

Post by jpswensen » July 15th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Starting to see several former players on Twitter expressing disgust with how this went down. I’m not sure at what point Andersen has to address this publicly, but given the likelihood of severely reduced revenues from COVID19, if he starts pissing off donors and fans it could be devastating to all of athletics and the university.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » July 15th, 2020, 10:08 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:45 pm
Aglicious wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:36 pm
I honestly believe that in a vacuum there is not much difference between Colombi and Shelley as far as production. The real problem comes in how this move affects the rest of the team though and how they produce as a group now. I guess I don't see the value in the risk versus reward with this decision.
Well said. Shelley isn't better than HC in the first place, and now Gary has brought into play chemistry and team locker room issues.
I hate defending GA, but depth is needed. Injuries happen and there is no clear back up and he was smart to get another capable QB. Not his fault Columbi could not handle a challenge.
These users thanked the author Jjoey52 for the post:
oleblu111

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 15th, 2020, 10:10 pm

This won’t be devastating to the program. While disappointing it certainly won’t wreck the program. Now the effects of not potentially not playing due to covid, that could be devastating.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » July 15th, 2020, 10:12 pm

I don't know if we can fault GA for bringing in Shelley, but we can fault him for how he handled the situation. If his intent was to bring in Shelley as a strong 2nd option to Columbi, he must not have conveyed that idea to Columbi and family.

Gary's disloyalty has been thrust into the spotlight, and that won't be good in the locker room OR in recruiting.
These users thanked the author Turtle for the post (total 3):
taniataylorAgliciousJSHarvey

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 15th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Some of you revered GA's younger self, and saying that the big problem is that GA is not his younger self. But even the "younger GA" had a quarterback leave, who was even recruited by him, and after being the #2 with Borel being a graduating senior and leaving the job for him.

I did want Jay Hill over GA returning, but any coach bringing in a quarterback in the same spot eligibility wise would have similarly driven Henry to leave.

pcaggie

Post by pcaggie » July 15th, 2020, 10:22 pm

Sad to see him go, was excited to see how he would do, but now that he is gone I will cheer for him, but the Aggies are my team and I for one will move on. I don’t have any idea what happen or what conversations time place, but I will give the coach’s the benefit of doubt. Good luck to Colombi and his dad!

cbingham

Post by cbingham » July 15th, 2020, 10:24 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 10:02 pm
cbingham wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 9:49 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Cameron Rising isn’t even their projected starter right now.
Not yet, I saw enough of him in person at Texas to think he'll turn out to be a player. He hasn't had a full camp so shouldn't be QB1 but I think he will be.
These users thanked the author cbingham for the post:
aggies22

BRuss804

Post by BRuss804 » July 15th, 2020, 10:35 pm

The only silver lining I can see in this situation is that half the board won’t have to learn how to spell Colombi’s last name now.

These users thanked the author BRuss804 for the post:
sam tingey

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » July 15th, 2020, 11:30 pm

Turtle wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 10:12 pm
I don't know if we can fault GA for bringing in Shelley, but we can fault him for how he handled the situation. If his intent was to bring in Shelley as a strong 2nd option to Columbi, he must not have conveyed that idea to Columbi and family.

Gary's disloyalty has been thrust into the spotlight, and that won't be good in the locker room OR in recruiting.
Agreed. We have seen him make numerous boneheaded decisions with his assistant coaches, we know he struggles with in-game management as well as coaching adjustments with Xs & Os, but we have always swept those things under the rug in exchange for the idea that his strength is how he treats the kids and puts them first which is the most important thing.

If that is out the door now too, what is left?
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
aggieguy13BLUERUFiO

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » July 15th, 2020, 11:36 pm

Columbi’s dad tweeted that HC is on an official visit to BYU right now. Couldn’t tell from the context if he was kidding or not. Could have been a cruel joke. That would be worst case scenario for me.
Last edited by bluegrouse on July 15th, 2020, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » July 15th, 2020, 11:36 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 10:08 pm
2004AG wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:45 pm
Aglicious wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:36 pm
I honestly believe that in a vacuum there is not much difference between Colombi and Shelley as far as production. The real problem comes in how this move affects the rest of the team though and how they produce as a group now. I guess I don't see the value in the risk versus reward with this decision.
Well said. Shelley isn't better than HC in the first place, and now Gary has brought into play chemistry and team locker room issues.
I hate defending GA, but depth is needed. Injuries happen and there is no clear back up and he was smart to get another capable QB. Not his fault Columbi could not handle a challenge.
Bold of you to assume there was any type of competition. The move to bring in Shelley speaks very loudly what the choice is, similar to the moves that Utah made to bring in quarterbacks to start ahead of Shelley. I don't foresee a good time with a Utah quarterback at the helm. That's the position that has held Utah back since Brian Johnson graduated.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

Aggies All the Way!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » July 15th, 2020, 11:37 pm

taniataylor wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 6:56 pm
Yossarian wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 6:46 pm
A few thoughts

1. This bums me out, but doesn't surprise after the Shelley announcement. I was really looking forward to seeing Colombi run the team.

2. None of us is in the locker room but we have a person in our community that is close to someone that is. Her son made a public comment in strong support of Colombi just a day or two ago. That gives me an idea or team support for HC.

3. There are both short term and long term implications of this. On the short term, team chemistry could certainly be affected, as has been said. In the long term, we have alienated a very pro-USU family, one of which is a high school FB coach in one of the hotbeds of college recruiting. A guy with a lot of connections, from the sounds of it. This guy was pushing USU football a lot in Texas.

4. All the drama caused by this move will only hurt because there is not going to be football this year. The implications will last a long time, though. This seems like a short-sighted move, at best.

5. I know absolutely nothing.
Are you referring to lil ole meeeee???
Wait a minute....you know someone on the team?
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 15th, 2020, 11:42 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:44 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:40 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:39 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:35 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:24 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:21 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:19 pm
Well I guess that Henry, and or the staff did not think he was as good as Shelley, maybe they both thought that.

The most popular player on the team is the backup Q.B. as far as the fans go. Noone here know just how good Henry would have been, because he only played as a mop up Q.B.
Gary hasn’t been honest to the Colombi’s ever since he got here. This transfer is more about integrity than it is playing time.
So did the Colombi's expect a iron clad agreement that he was going to start ?
You keep beating this horse like Gary's approach and treatment of the situation is irrelevant. Would you stick around for a coach you couldn't trust?
You are asking me to make judgement as to what was said that neither you or I know about.
Half of what you said is right, half is wrong. Guess which half is which.
So you were there for all conversations between the staff, and Henry, also keep in mind that Bodie Reeder is part of the equation.
Bodie Reeder had nothing to do with this

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 15th, 2020, 11:43 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:13 pm

The omission of GA seems to be the loudest message in this tweet.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 15th, 2020, 11:44 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:37 pm
Aglicious wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:29 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:24 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:21 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:19 pm
Well I guess that Henry, and or the staff did not think he was as good as Shelley, maybe they both thought that.

The most popular player on the team is the backup Q.B. as far as the fans go. Noone here know just how good Henry would have been, because he only played as a mop up Q.B.
Gary hasn’t been honest to the Colombi’s ever since he got here. This transfer is more about integrity than it is playing time.
So did the Colombi's expect a iron clad agreement that he was going to start ?
Do you believe he was going to even be given an honest and fair shot at competing for the position?
Yes.
The Colombis' do not share your optimism.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 15th, 2020, 11:48 pm

oleblu111 wrote:

He will end up at a P5 school.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » July 15th, 2020, 11:49 pm

Well in the end neither Colombi nor Shelley were going to lead the Aggies out of the field this year anyways. Shelley has a year to learn the playbook and gain the trust of the players.

Locked Previous topicNext topic