New QB transfer?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
utahcountyaggie

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by utahcountyaggie » July 16th, 2020, 9:48 am

oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 1:04 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 12:50 pm
I'll cheer for the dude taking snaps whoever it is, but my bigger concern is that things like this can create problems in the locker room. I don't want it to tear the team apart. I think a lot of it has to do with how things have been communicated to the kids and if they feel the coaches are being fair and honest. If expectations were set and now are being reversed, trust is lost and I could see a kid or two jumping ship over it.
Any kid on a FBS football team that thinks the coach's should leave out a quality player, because it may make someone feel bad, is a good reason why they are not successful. I want the best players on the field at all times. Coach's get fired if they do not do that very thing. If a coach tells a player that he will be a starter then IMHO he has made a mistake. To say it is your job to lose is a better route.

If Henry is better than Shelly he will start.
Let's look at this from another perspective. 1997 Utah Jazz. We had a point guard (John Stockton) who had been with the program for quite some time and was "the guy". Would it have been worth it to try to bring in a solid player like Penny Hardaway or Gary Payton? NO. Point Guard was not an area of need, we had Stockton. There were other good point guards we could have gone after, but we already had a good one...and NEEDED a solid Center (not Ostertag). If the Jazz had tried to bring in another point guard, it would have pissed Stockton off, pissed Malone off and ruined the team dynamic.

By all accounts from those who are closely involved in practices, Colombi is the guy. I've been excited about him for 3 years. We had a QB, we didn't need a QB. We had other positions of need that Gary could have used a Grad transfer on.
These users thanked the author utahcountyaggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22cdaAg3rdGenAggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 9:55 am

utahcountyaggie wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 9:48 am
oleblu111 wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
I'll cheer for the dude taking snaps whoever it is, but my bigger concern is that things like this can create problems in the locker room. I don't want it to tear the team apart. I think a lot of it has to do with how things have been communicated to the kids and if they feel the coaches are being fair and honest. If expectations were set and now are being reversed, trust is lost and I could see a kid or two jumping ship over it.
Any kid on a FBS football team that thinks the coach's should leave out a quality player, because it may make someone feel bad, is a good reason why they are not successful. I want the best players on the field at all times. Coach's get fired if they do not do that very thing. If a coach tells a player that he will be a starter then IMHO he has made a mistake. To say it is your job to lose is a better route.

Let's look at this from another perspective. 1997 Utah Jazz. We had a point guard (John Stockton) who had been with the program for quite some time and was "the guy". Would it have been worth it to try to bring in a solid player like Penny Hardaway or Gary Payton? NO. Point Guard was not an area of need, we had Stockton. There were other good point guards we could have gone after, but we already had a good one...and NEEDED a solid Center (not Ostertag). If the Jazz had tried to bring in another point guard, it would have pissed Stockton off, pissed Malone off and ruined the team dynamic.

By all accounts from those who are closely involved in practices, Colombi is the guy. I've been excited about him for 3 years. We had a QB, we didn't need a QB. We had other positions of need that Gary could have used a Grad transfer on.
I see your point. But there is a Big difference between one of the top pgs of all time and a first time college football starter. Little more risk.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
oleblu111

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » July 16th, 2020, 10:10 am

slcagg wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 9:55 am
utahcountyaggie wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:

I see your point. But there is a Big difference between one of the top pgs of all time and a first time college football starter. Little more risk.
Definitely. No argument there.

To elaborate on the point a bit more....bringing in Gary Payton statistically would have given very similar production.
I liken that fact to Colombi and Shelley probably being similar production-wise (with a definite nod towards Colombi for his arm).
I use that analogy not to compare Colombi to the caliber of John Stockton.....just the situation of screwing up chemistry and the locker room (at a position that wasn't our greatest need) all for a player with similar statistical output (and at the expense of a player who was a leader for their team).
Last edited by utahcountyaggie on July 16th, 2020, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author utahcountyaggie for the post (total 2):
slcaggaggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 10:15 am

utahcountyaggie wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:10 am
slcagg wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 9:55 am
utahcountyaggie wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:

Definitely. No argument there.

To elaborate on the point a bit more....bringing in Gary Payton statistically would have given very similar production.
I liken that to the fact to Colombi and Shelley probably being similar production-wise (with a definite nod towards Colombi for his arm).
I use that analogy not to compare Colombi to the caliber of John Stockton.....just the situation of screwing up chemistry and the locker room (at a position that wasn't our greatest need) all for a player with similar statistical output (and at the expense of a player who was a leader for their team).
I think that is a very fair point. Just not sure if we know for sure what colombi will do until he actually plays meaningful minutes so extra competition and talent is good at this point. At least that is my opinion. And with that said I am as disappointed as the rest of you. I have been looking forward to Henry for like 4 years.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
utahcountyaggie

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » July 16th, 2020, 10:32 am

The outpouring of concern and fairness here is touching, of course with a 2-4 start half of the board would be calling for him to be benched.

Please continue.
These users thanked the author Aggieiester for the post (total 2):
GaryTakeTheWheelBustaMcNutt

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » July 16th, 2020, 10:42 am

Well.. after a night of contemplation I have calmed down a bit and don't feel quite as upset. I still feel that GAs move was horrible timing. But I also remember how frustrating it was to watch our offense last year. We tried to play a traditional passing offense for Jordan Love, but we clearly didn't have the OL and WRs that we needed for it. Also it was clear that our OC didn't know how to call plays in that style offense. I love Colombi's game a ton, but he is more like Jordan Love, so plugging him in this year would likely just bring a repeat of the 3-and-out offense we had last year. If we are going to transition to a 2012 style offense, we need to do it 100%, not Half way.
Again, I hate the timing and what this will likely do to the locker room. I truly think HC will shine with a new team, probably better than he was going to here in a run style offense. I wish him the best. I also am looking forward to seeing what Shelley has to offer. Go Aggies!

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » July 16th, 2020, 11:22 am

Listening to GA on 1280. Basically, saying He will always recruit and needs to have competition at every position and nobodies position is given. Every kid is given equal chance to compete and Shelley was brought it to compete for the job just like HC had the chance to compete for the job.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 16th, 2020, 12:02 pm

Elkaggie wrote:Listening to GA on 1280. Basically, saying He will always recruit and needs to have competition at every position and nobodies position is given. Every kid is given equal chance to compete and Shelley was brought it to compete for the job just like HC had the chance to compete for the job.
Nice cliche Gary. But then you shouldn’t haven’t promised the job to HC and you should have done it 5 months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
3rdGenAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 12:11 pm

slcagg wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 9:24 am
I feel like we talked about shelley years ago on this board when he was a prospect and said what if he were interested since his grandfather played here even with this other offers. Could be another guy. But remember a qb out of the north Dallas area being discussed.
Matt offered Jason Shelley out of high school. We definitely had an interest in him. Jason Shelley committed and signed with Utah and we signed Henry Colombi.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 16th, 2020, 12:39 pm

AggiePT wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:42 am
Well.. after a night of contemplation I have calmed down a bit and don't feel quite as upset. I still feel that GAs move was horrible timing. But I also remember how frustrating it was to watch our offense last year. We tried to play a traditional passing offense for Jordan Love, but we clearly didn't have the OL and WRs that we needed for it. Also it was clear that our OC didn't know how to call plays in that style offense. I love Colombi's game a ton, but he is more like Jordan Love, so plugging him in this year would likely just bring a repeat of the 3-and-out offense we had last year. If we are going to transition to a 2012 style offense, we need to do it 100%, not Half way.
Again, I hate the timing and what this will likely do to the locker room. I truly think HC will shine with a new team, probably better than he was going to here in a run style offense. I wish him the best. I also am looking forward to seeing what Shelley has to offer. Go Aggies!
That is how i feel as well. It is clear we are transitioning to more smash mouth run football. Really it comes down to our oline. If they take a big step forward Shelley and the running backs can shine which will open up our passing game. I just hope we have a season to watch it unfold.

Is Shelley faster than HC?
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AggiePT

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 12:41 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 12:11 pm
slcagg wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 9:24 am
I feel like we talked about shelley years ago on this board when he was a prospect and said what if he were interested since his grandfather played here even with this other offers. Could be another guy. But remember a qb out of the north Dallas area being discussed.
Matt offered Jason Shelley out of high school. We definitely had an interest in him. Jason Shelley committed and signed with Utah and we signed Henry Colombi.
That is crazy.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 16th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:32 am
The outpouring of concern and fairness here is touching, of course with a 2-4 start half of the board would be calling for him to be benched.

Please continue.
And what if Shelley leads us to a 2-4 start...with no Colombi, now? That meltdown would be much larger. I feel like we traded Darell Garretson for Kent Myers again. A solid QB for a solid athlete playing QB.

All that said, I hope Shelley plays well and makes this a moot point.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » July 16th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 12:39 pm
AggiePT wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:42 am
That is how i feel as well. It is clear we are transitioning to more smash mouth run football. Really it comes down to our oline. If they take a big step forward Shelley and the running backs can shine which will open up our passing game. I just hope we have a season to watch it unfold.

Is Shelley faster than HC?
Watching tape I would say no....nor is he a better passer.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Now this is interesting. Speculate away.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » July 16th, 2020, 1:54 pm

slcagg wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 1:49 pm

I've been lead to believe that this will be an impact player.
These users thanked the author JFW_AGGIES for the post (total 2):
slcaggBLUERUFiO

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » July 16th, 2020, 2:31 pm

Who's in the transfer portal from Utah?
These users thanked the author hvaggie for the post (total 3):
sam tingeyBLUERUFiOthegreendalegelf

gomretat

Post by gomretat » July 16th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Stating what seems obvious at this point:
1) The coaches were not sold on HC
2) They had to know there was a good chance HC would leave and they were fine with that. If not, there would have been conversation with HC before bringing Shelley into the fold.
3) My guess is that the locker room being upset is not a surprise either and something they believe they can manage.
4) They have to know this is a big risk move both from a W-L standpoint and how it impacts the psyche of the team. They were still willing to do it because of how they feel about the talent and fit difference between Shelley and HC. I really doubt that any of this was done without knowing in advance how this would look and be received.
5) I hope the risk pays off. Go Aggies.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
Sl7vk

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 3:03 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 1:54 pm
slcagg wrote:

I'm going with WR.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 16th, 2020, 3:29 pm

hvaggie wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 2:31 pm
LOL. But probably a safe bet.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » July 16th, 2020, 3:30 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 3:03 pm
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I'm going with WR.
any hints?
https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Footb ... =Immediate

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 3:32 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 3:30 pm
aggies22 wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I'm going with WR.
any hints?
Looking at that list I’d say joe crotchlow

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » July 16th, 2020, 3:33 pm

hvaggie wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 2:31 pm
Doesn’t even have to be in the portal now. Can jump in at any time.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 3:35 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I'm going with WR.
any hints?
I'll go one better. Once, I know I'll just post it. Right now, I have a guess BUT I don't want to spread rumors so I'll wait until I can confirm.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » July 16th, 2020, 3:59 pm

slcagg wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 3:32 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I'm going with WR.
any hints?
LOL. :lol: Bring in the 5th string BYU QB now to "compete" with Shelley? talk about controversy....

Machismo

Post by Machismo » July 16th, 2020, 4:03 pm

slcagg wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I'm going with WR.
any hints?

Jordan Overton 5-10 / 171 He must be fast..

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » July 16th, 2020, 4:24 pm

slcagg wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I'm going with WR.
any hints?
:puke:

Go Aggies!

BeNo

Post by BeNo » July 16th, 2020, 4:59 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 3:35 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I'm going with WR.
any hints?
I'll go one better. Once, I know I'll just post it. Right now, I have a guess BUT I don't want to spread rumors so I'll wait until I can confirm.
A guess IS NOT a rumor. Especially if you qualify it as a guess.

coolag

Post by coolag » July 16th, 2020, 5:10 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
slcagg wrote:

Tremendous
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
aggies22

Regulator of Class

Agsman

Post by Agsman » July 16th, 2020, 5:12 pm

aggies22 wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I'm going with WR.
any hints?
Can you just create a burner account already so you can throw out wild speculation and names without getting blowback?

Sent from some tractor on some farm...

These users thanked the author Agsman for the post:
thegreendalegelf

coolag

Post by coolag » July 16th, 2020, 5:37 pm

aggies22 wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I'm going with WR.
Well that rules out uncle Rico.

Regulator of Class

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » July 16th, 2020, 5:40 pm

coolag wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 5:37 pm
aggies22 wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I'm going with WR.
Well that rules out uncle Rico.
Does Jake Heaps still have eligibility?

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » July 16th, 2020, 6:36 pm

gomretat wrote:Stating what seems obvious at this point:
2) They had to know there was a good chance HC would leave and they were fine with that. If not, there would have been conversation with HC before bringing Shelley into the fold.
3) My guess is that the locker room being upset is not a surprise either and something they believe they can manage.
4) They have to know this is a big risk move both from a W-L standpoint and how it impacts the psyche of the team. They were still willing to do it because of how they feel about the talent and fit difference between Shelley and HC. I really doubt that any of this was done without knowing in advance how this would look and be received.
At least one coach was caught off guard and found only out from a fan almost two hours after the tweet announcing his transfer. That led me to think it wasn't really expected.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 8:41 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 6:36 pm
At least one coach was caught off guard and found only out from a fan almost two hours after the tweet announcing his transfer. That led me to think it wasn't really expected.

Which gives credibility to why I've been saying this developed in roughly 24 to 36 hours. Not 2 or more weeks as has been previously mentioned.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 9:07 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 6:36 pm

I’ve had plenty of things I’ve heard through the work grapevine before it was announced within my department at work.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » July 16th, 2020, 9:11 pm

I just want to take this moment to say it’s refreshing to have some big Aggie sports news to talk about. COVID + summer = bad sports news cycle.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Locked Previous topicNext topic