New QB transfer?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Madmartigan » July 15th, 2020, 11:10 am

AggiePT wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:08 am
Am I the only one that feels like the success of our season hangs in the balance right now with this discussion???
IF there is a season, which is a very big IF... it hinges on a well rounded QB that can run the offensive scheme our coaches think will bring us the most success. I think Colombi has the potential to be an excellent college QB. Good size, mobility, and arm strength.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » July 15th, 2020, 11:10 am

I don't understand why Columbi would leave unless the coaches just handed the job to Shelley. He had the inside track to start, Shelley or not. If Shelley was handed the job.... look out.

Just throwing out the possibility, I know certain folks can't give us the info at this time, but could it be Peasley that is leaving?

If it is Columbi and Shelley was handed the job, I would think others may join in transferring out.

Go Aggies!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » July 15th, 2020, 11:13 am

Aggie19 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:10 am
I don't understand why Columbi would leave unless the coaches just handed the job to Shelley. He had the inside track to start, Shelley or not. If Shelley was handed the job.... look out.

Just throwing out the possibility, I know certain folks can't give us the info at this time, but could it be Peasley that is leaving?

If it is Columbi and Shelley was handed the job, I would think others may join in transferring out.
I tried to a good job of outlining why Colombi would leave in my post on the previous page.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
GaryTakeTheWheel

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 15th, 2020, 11:16 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:13 am
Aggie19 wrote:

I tried to a good job of outlining why Colombi would leave in my post on the previous page.
You failed.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 15th, 2020, 11:17 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:09 am
AggiePT wrote:Am I the only one that feels like the success of our season hangs in the balance right now with this discussion???
No. They are both good QBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's just that one can throw the football.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
AggiePTAggie19

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Chod

Post by Chod » July 15th, 2020, 11:20 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 10:31 am
Guys GA wants a running QB, I was told early on not to be shocked if Peasly end up being the starter.
Columbi can run... I think I've seen him do it a time or two.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » July 15th, 2020, 11:27 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:09 am
AggiePT wrote:Am I the only one that feels like the success of our season hangs in the balance right now with this discussion???
No. They are both good QBs.

It's just that one can throw the football.
Don’t get me wrong, I think Colombi is clearly the better of the two but that doesn’t mean that Shelley isn’t talented. The problem is going to be that Shelley may be thrust into a tough situation wherein the rest of his teammates wanted someone else. So I don’t want to be unfair to Shelley. He’s a good kid and a good QB.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 2):
aggies22YoungBloodAggie

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » July 15th, 2020, 11:51 am

Aggie19 wrote:

Based on what I was told almost a month ago, I expect at least one QB to leave.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 15th, 2020, 11:53 am

If anyone leaves because they are afraid of compete for a job then so be it. Any coach in his right mind would take a Q.B. with experience at a higher level, you are not owed a starting job ever.

Henry has very little in game experience he might be good or he could flop, no one knows in advance what he can or can not do. If he is the best Q.B. for this system he will start period.

If current player's get all pissy with this then they lack what is needed to win. If any of them go on social media with opinions about this then they are as dumb as Mr Shaw. For hell's bells man up.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 15th, 2020, 12:06 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:53 am
If anyone leaves because they are afraid of compete for a job then so be it. Any coach in his right mind would take a Q.B. with experience at a higher level, you are not owed a starting job ever.

Henry has very little in game experience he might be good or he could flop, no one knows in advance what he can or can not do. If he is the best Q.B. for this system he will start period.

If current player's get all pissy with this then they lack what is needed to win. If any of them go on social media with opinions about this then they are as dumb as Mr Shaw. For hell's bells man up.
I wish it were as simple as that. The reality is that this transfer isn't being done in the spring when Colombi can survey the landscape of football talent and assess if he wants to stay or go. It happened two weeks before camp kicks off, and most programs are not taking on new QBs.

There's also something to be said about the perception of whether the new guy is getting preferential treatment. If Colombi perceives that to be reality, of course he's going to be miffed given that he's been in the program for the past three years and has been as good a teammate and player as anyone.

Colombi isn't an underclassman that can lose a QB competition and still transfer. He is a redshirt junior, and his shelf life is limited. Andersen is free to do what he believes is best for his team, just as Colombi ought to do what is best for him personally. It would've been nice, from Colombi's perspective, to have had more time to make that decision.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » July 15th, 2020, 12:09 pm

oleblu111 wrote:If anyone leaves because they are afraid of compete for a job then so be it. Any coach in his right mind would take a Q.B. with experience at a higher level, you are not owed a starting job ever.

This sounds tough and cool but Colombi isn’t being entitled. He has expectations because the staff made certain representations to him. He has put a lot of work into the program and has shunned other opportunities to leave. The team all knows this. Seems like anyone would feel the same way in his situation. But go ahead and use all of these tough sounding cliches about “kids these days”.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 6):
Intermeddleraggies22Roy McAvoyaggieguy13utahcountyaggieWillCut72

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » July 15th, 2020, 12:19 pm

So I’m reinstalling twitter again. Blegh...

BRuss804

Post by BRuss804 » July 15th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:51 am
Aggie19 wrote:

Assuming Intermeddler's info is true, isn't it at least possible that the staff knew that Colombi was thinking about transferring and that's why they brought in Shelley? Thus bringing in Shelley might not be the precipitating cause of Colombi leaving, but rather a (pre-emptive) reaction to his leaving? Or potentially Colombi is staying and will be the starter and Shelley was brought in to replace whoever is leaving?

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 15th, 2020, 12:41 pm

BRuss804 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 12:40 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:

Assuming Intermeddler's info is true, isn't it at least possible that the staff knew that Colombi was thinking about transferring and that's why they brought in Shelley? Thus bringing in Shelley might not be the precipitating cause of Colombi leaving, but rather a (pre-emptive) reaction to his leaving? Or potentially Colombi is staying and will be the starter and Shelley was brought in to replace whoever is leaving?
It's possible, but not what's actually happening.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 15th, 2020, 12:44 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 12:09 pm
oleblu111 wrote:If anyone leaves because they are afraid of compete for a job then so be it. Any coach in his right mind would take a Q.B. with experience at a higher level, you are not owed a starting job ever.

This sounds tough and cool but Colombi isn’t being entitled. He has expectations because the staff made certain representations to him. He has put a lot of work into the program and has shunned other opportunities to leave. The team all knows this. Seems like anyone would feel the same way in his situation. But go ahead and use all of these tough sounding cliches about “kids these days”.

I did not say anything about "kids these days". Football is a tough game . Any coach in his right mind would take a Q.B. like Shelly.

If Henry gets hurt then the staff would look like geniuses. Of course if Henry is the best Q.B. he will start. This is a good move by this coaching staff. The job is Henry's to lose.

I guess the staff should not take a kid because it might hurt the feelings of someone on the team. Is that what you people believe ?
Last edited by oleblu111 on July 15th, 2020, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » July 15th, 2020, 12:47 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 12:09 pm

I did not say anything about "kids these days". Football is a tough game . Any coach in his right mind would take a Q.B. like Shelly.

If Henry gets hurt then the staff would look like geniuses. Of course if Henry is the best Q.B. he will start. This is a good move by this coaching staff. The job is Henry's to lose.
I don’t disagree that on paper it’s good to have another QB but the question is whether it’s worth the potential issues it may cause. And I don’t think Colombi would be unjustified if he were to leave. That said I hope they both sty for the reasons you mentioned.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » July 15th, 2020, 12:50 pm

I'll cheer for the dude taking snaps whoever it is, but my bigger concern is that things like this can create problems in the locker room. I don't want it to tear the team apart. I think a lot of it has to do with how things have been communicated to the kids and if they feel the coaches are being fair and honest. If expectations were set and now are being reversed, trust is lost and I could see a kid or two jumping ship over it.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
aggies22

Go Aggies!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 15th, 2020, 12:53 pm

BRuss804 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:

Aggies22 already confirmed that’s not the case.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
aggies22

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » July 15th, 2020, 12:54 pm

I am hoping that this is one of those moments where all the insiders say for example, "Gary is not coming back to coach at USU" and then two days later he is announced as the new coach. Maybe the very fact that all the insiders are saying Colombi is not coming back really means that he will be back. :joking:

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » July 15th, 2020, 12:55 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:I am hoping that this is one of those moments where all the insiders say for example, "Gary is not coming back to coach at USU" and then two days later he is announced as the new coach. Maybe the very fact that all the insiders are saying Colombi is not coming back really means that he will be back. :joking:
He may very well be back.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » July 15th, 2020, 12:58 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 12:55 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:I am hoping that this is one of those moments where all the insiders say for example, "Gary is not coming back to coach at USU" and then two days later he is announced as the new coach. Maybe the very fact that all the insiders are saying Colombi is not coming back really means that he will be back. :joking:

OH CRAP! He really is gone. :lol: Just kidding.

I really appreciate it when you guys give us the information that you can.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » July 15th, 2020, 12:59 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

LOL. I don’t think anyone knows right now. They’re all working through it.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 15th, 2020, 1:02 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 12:59 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

LOL. I don’t think anyone knows right now. They’re all working through it.

Thanks JCP. You seem to have some inside info, appreciate your sharing wirh us.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 15th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 12:50 pm
I'll cheer for the dude taking snaps whoever it is, but my bigger concern is that things like this can create problems in the locker room. I don't want it to tear the team apart. I think a lot of it has to do with how things have been communicated to the kids and if they feel the coaches are being fair and honest. If expectations were set and now are being reversed, trust is lost and I could see a kid or two jumping ship over it.
Any kid on a FBS football team that thinks the coach's should leave out a quality player, because it may make someone feel bad, is a good reason why they are not successful. I want the best players on the field at all times. Coach's get fired if they do not do that very thing. If a coach tells a player that he will be a starter then IMHO he has made a mistake. To say it is your job to lose is a better route.

If Henry is better than Shelly he will start.

Agsman

Post by Agsman » July 15th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Unless Colombi has been told otherwise, pretty sure this is still his job to lose. I really hope he just takes this opportunity and owns it. I get the loyalty card and how he could feel betrayed. But Shelley coming in really feels like Gary throwing a life line to one of his former players.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » July 15th, 2020, 1:06 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 12:53 pm
BRuss804 wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:

Aggies22 already confirmed that’s not the case.

Yep, other way around. Shelly is domino 1. Whether other dominoes fall remains to be seen.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 15th, 2020, 1:07 pm

On a positive note, everybody Gary has brought over from Utah has contributed in big ways to the success of USU.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
slcagg

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » July 15th, 2020, 1:09 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 1:07 pm
On a positive note, everybody Gary has brought over from Utah has contributed in big ways to the success of USU.
Yeah except for Ena... :devil:
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 4):
ususportsaggies22BLUERUFiONVAggie

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 15th, 2020, 1:18 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 1:09 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 1:07 pm
Yeah except for Ena... :devil:
Touche.. should've inserted *player*. Ena was a miss at DC last year for sure.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 15th, 2020, 3:00 pm

As the day has progressed, I will say this. A QB has not left the team, yet.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
AggiePTAggie19

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » July 15th, 2020, 3:10 pm

aggies22 wrote:As the day has progressed, I will say this. A QB has not left the team, yet.
As long as Colombi feels he’s getting a fair shot to compete I believe he will stick around. He isn’t afraid to compete as long as the competition is a fair one.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
aggies22

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » July 15th, 2020, 3:16 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 3:00 pm
A QB has not left the team, but a different position player has?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 15th, 2020, 3:25 pm

hvaggie wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 3:16 pm
aggies22 wrote:
No. Let's not let our imaginations run wild. The topic of the thread is QBs, let's keep it that way my Aggie brother.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
hvaggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 15th, 2020, 3:31 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 3:25 pm
hvaggie wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 3:16 pm
aggies22 wrote:
No. Let's not let our imaginations run wild. The topic of the thread is QBs, let's keep it that way my Aggie brother.
HOLY CRAP, HARTWELL IS GONE?

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 15th, 2020, 3:34 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 3:10 pm
aggies22 wrote:As the day has progressed, I will say this. A QB has not left the team, yet.
As long as Colombi feels he’s getting a fair shot to compete I believe he will stick around. He isn’t afraid to compete as long as the competition is a fair one.

Why would he feel that he would not get a fair shot ?

We need to understand that everyone, will get a shot, and the coach's will decide which player gives them the best chance for success. If they fail to do that then they will fail to keep their jobs. If you fail to sign a kid that has good experience at a higher level then you are a fool.

If Henry believes that he can not beat out Shelley than he needs to look at moving on, if his goal is to be a starting Q.B.

Imagine if Henry left, and SUU had a chance to sign him should they do it even if they have a kid that has been waiting two years to get a chance to start ? That is what some of you expect our staff to do.
Last edited by oleblu111 on July 15th, 2020, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
Aggie19

Locked Previous topicNext topic