New QB transfer?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
GeorgiaAggie
Posts: 837
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:29 pm
Location: Carrollton, GA
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 74 times

New QB transfer?

Post by GeorgiaAggie » July 11th, 2020, 10:16 am

What’s up 22?




Yossarian
Posts: 3500
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Yossarian » July 11th, 2020, 10:18 am

A Utah QB would have a tough time cracking the USU top 5. Am I right?
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0brownjeanssam tingey



FL350Aggie
Posts: 129
Joined: January 19th, 2020, 4:57 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by FL350Aggie » July 11th, 2020, 10:35 am

Yossarian wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:18 am
A Utah QB would have a tough time cracking the USU top 5. Am I right?
Oh you know it. I’m ready for some Columbi time anyhow.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
aggies22



slcagg
Posts: 4947
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 744 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by slcagg » July 11th, 2020, 10:45 am

Immediately eligible? Was being moved to safety at Utah. Would be great if he would play there at usu.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2023
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Intermeddler » July 11th, 2020, 10:54 am

Madmartigan can back me up on this but I was told a couple weeks ago that Shelly would be transferring in and 2 of our current QBs would be transferring out.

It didn’t seem true so I didn’t bring it to the board but now I’m wondering who the 2 QBs my source mentioned were (he thought Colombi and Peasley but didn’t know and that’s the part that made me really skeptical).
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
aggies22



slcagg
Posts: 4947
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 744 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by slcagg » July 11th, 2020, 11:01 am

So how good is he?

I’ve been a big fan of colombi for a long time. Is shelley better?



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2965 times
Contact:

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by aggies22 » July 11th, 2020, 11:17 am

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:16 am
What’s up 22?

This might have legs. I can't say much more for the moment.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
USU78Aggie19Jjoey52



Yossarian
Posts: 3500
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Yossarian » July 11th, 2020, 11:54 am

slcagg wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 11:01 am
So how good is he?

I’ve been a big fan of colombi for a long time. Is shelley better?
I want Colombi.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 5):
Aggie19slcaggaggies22brownjeansAndroidAggie



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2782
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 549 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 11th, 2020, 12:05 pm

I can’t imagine Colombi would want to transfer out, given that he is the heir apparent and his father speaks so highly of USU. All our offseason marketing materials have featured HC3.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
aggies22


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2965 times
Contact:

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by aggies22 » July 11th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:54 am
Madmartigan can back me up on this but I was told a couple weeks ago that Shelly would be transferring in and 2 of our current QBs would be transferring out.

It didn’t seem true so I didn’t bring it to the board but now I’m wondering who the 2 QBs my source mentioned were (he thought Colombi and Peasley but didn’t know and that’s the part that made me really skeptical).
All our QBs are here.



Intermeddler
Posts: 2023
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Intermeddler » July 11th, 2020, 1:22 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 1:08 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:54 am
Madmartigan can back me up on this but I was told a couple weeks ago that Shelly would be transferring in and 2 of our current QBs would be transferring out.

It didn’t seem true so I didn’t bring it to the board but now I’m wondering who the 2 QBs my source mentioned were (he thought Colombi and Peasley but didn’t know and that’s the part that made me really skeptical).
All our QBs are here.
Yeah like I said I was skeptical of that part of it but he knew about Shelly coming in a couple weeks ago so who knows. PM me and we can chat about it.



USUaggie
Posts: 289
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:23 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by USUaggie » July 11th, 2020, 4:34 pm

His grandfather was a great safety here at USU!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author USUaggie for the post:
aggies22



Chatman
Posts: 1137
Joined: November 30th, 2010, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Chatman » July 11th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Shelly is an athlete. Will be a welcome addition wherever he ends up playing.



slcagg
Posts: 4947
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 744 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by slcagg » July 11th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Chatman wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 5:09 pm
Shelly is an athlete. Will be a welcome addition wherever he ends up playing.
I don’t think he is coming here to play any other position other than qb.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-utes ... ys-father/



Aggie84025
Posts: 1998
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 608 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Aggie84025 » July 11th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Looks like he would have to sit 1 year. Since he used a redshirt does that mean he could still have 2 years available next year or just one? Seems like a solid get if true.



bluegrouse
Posts: 3213
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by bluegrouse » July 11th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 5:26 pm
Looks like he would have to sit 1 year. Since he used a redshirt does that mean he could still have 2 years available next year or just one? Seems like a solid get if true.
Grad transfer, no?

So will a grad transfer hang around an additional year if/when 2020 football doesn’t happen or just decide to hang ‘‘me up and move on with his life?

EDIT: Apparently NOT a grad transfer - at least according to the portal info.



Aggie4ever
Posts: 10
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:06 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Aggie4ever » July 11th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Is this Phil Shelley’s grandson? Phil was a great defensive back for the Aggies in the 60’s. I believe he led the nation in interceptions his senior year. Anyone know?
These users thanked the author Aggie4ever for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22



USUaggie
Posts: 289
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:23 am
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by USUaggie » July 11th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Aggie4ever wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 6:22 pm
Is this Phil Shelley’s grandson? Phil was a great defensive back for the Aggies in the 60’s. I believe he led the nation in interceptions his senior year. Anyone know?
Yes, that is my understanding. Early 70s.
These users thanked the author USUaggie for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22



Texasaggie1
Posts: 133
Joined: October 19th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Texasaggie1 » July 11th, 2020, 7:15 pm

This would be interesting. He played high school at Lonestar high school in Frisco, TX. He started as a freshman.He took his team to the state finals in 2015. He made a lot of really good players look not so great. I sat next to his family for one of the games and tried to talk him them into considering USU before he committed to U of U. They said his grandfather loved USU.

He is an amazing athlete, but I have not seen the accuracy needed to keep defenses honest yet. I wonder if part of that is because all qb's at U of U seem to have their hands tied with the change in coordinators every year. I do think it would be a close competition between him and Colombi.
These users thanked the author Texasaggie1 for the post:
USU78



YoungBloodAggie
Posts: 2782
Joined: October 1st, 2013, 9:11 am
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 549 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 11th, 2020, 7:23 pm

I am firmly stuck halfway between "This feels like a slap in the face to Colombi" and "It'd be great to get an Aggie legacy kid with pedigree back on the farm."

I know that competition makes everyone better, nothing is earned, we need the best possible QB starting for us, blah blah blah. But Colombi, as far as I can tell, has the respect of his teammates and is as good of a QB as we've ever recruited.

I would feel much better about this if their eligibilities didn't overlap exactly. Shelley deserves a legit shot to be a QB somewhere, and Colombi has been putting in solid work for the last three years (especially during summers, when he goes home and plays with some of the best athletes in the country).


Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

AggieUprising50
Posts: 688
Joined: January 31st, 2015, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by AggieUprising50 » July 11th, 2020, 7:25 pm

If all of this is true I expect him to compete for Peasley’s spot as the backup.

Maybe Peasley’s not 100% and Gary’s bringing in a proven backup whose just as athletic.

I would be shocked if he beat out Colombi for the #1 Spot
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
aggies22



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 7918
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 1535 times
Been thanked: 451 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by USU78 » July 11th, 2020, 7:27 pm

USUaggie wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 4:34 pm
His grandfather was a great safety here at USU!
Phil? Loved that guy. Such a smooth athlete, and such a nose for the ball!
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
LKGatesaggies22


You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2965 times
Contact:

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by aggies22 » July 11th, 2020, 9:08 pm

Jason Shelley HAS to apply for immediate eligibility. If he is denied, he would have to sit.



Aggie19
Posts: 663
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 454 times
Been thanked: 322 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Aggie19 » July 11th, 2020, 9:11 pm

Looks like it might be a done deal...

Last edited by Aggie19 on July 11th, 2020, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
aggies22


Go Aggies!

Yossarian
Posts: 3500
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Yossarian » July 11th, 2020, 9:26 pm

He wouldn't get a sniff of NFL attention as the quarterback in Utah's system, if that is his goal.



QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score
Posts: 15750
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: 서울
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 576 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by QuackAttackAggie » July 11th, 2020, 9:27 pm




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22SLB



Yossarian
Posts: 3500
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Yossarian » July 11th, 2020, 9:34 pm

This seems really odd to me. Colombi is capable, had been in the program 3 years and is ready to break out. Peasley and Legas and Josh Calvin are all quality backups. This seemed like a position we were well stocked at.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22



Aggie84025
Posts: 1998
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 608 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Aggie84025 » July 11th, 2020, 10:20 pm

Yossarian wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 9:34 pm
This seems really odd to me. Colombi is capable, had been in the program 3 years and is ready to break out. Peasley and Legas and Josh Calvin are all quality backups. This seemed like a position we were well stocked at.
I agree, i wonder how Columbi feels about this. He has waited his time and is a real good talent. I understand competition is good but we seemed to be pretty good at already. We now have 5 which seems overkill.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22



LKGates
Posts: 3300
Joined: December 13th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 238 times
Contact:

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by LKGates » July 11th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:20 pm
Yossarian wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 9:34 pm
This seems really odd to me. Colombi is capable, had been in the program 3 years and is ready to break out. Peasley and Legas and Josh Calvin are all quality backups. This seemed like a position we were well stocked at.
I agree, i wonder how Columbi feels about this. He has waited his time and is a real good talent. I understand competition is good but we seemed to be pretty good at already. We now have 5 which seems overkill.
I'd like to remind everyone that in 2014, we went through 5 quarterbacks because of injuries, eventually drafting Tay Glover-Wright to fill in late in the season. By the way, I personally think Tay was the most versatile and athletic Aggie football player of the last 10 years. The kid could play just about any skill position on either side of the ball, and do it well.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieBlues


Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

Yossarian
Posts: 3500
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 39 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by Yossarian » July 11th, 2020, 10:58 pm

LKGates wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:33 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:20 pm
Yossarian wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 9:34 pm
This seems really odd to me. Colombi is capable, had been in the program 3 years and is ready to break out. Peasley and Legas and Josh Calvin are all quality backups. This seemed like a position we were well stocked at.
I agree, i wonder how Columbi feels about this. He has waited his time and is a real good talent. I understand competition is good but we seemed to be pretty good at already. We now have 5 which seems overkill.
I'd like to remind everyone that in 2014, we went through 5 quarterbacks because of injuries, eventually drafting Tay Glover-Wright to fill in late in the season. By the way, I personally think Tay was the most versatile and athletic Aggie football player of the last 10 years. The kid could play just about any skill position on either side of the ball, and do it well.
I certainly remember that year. I think that had to be some kind record, didn't it? We had 5 different quarterbacks throw at least one touchdown pass in a game that year. I also think that is a testament to how rare it is that any team gets to the fifth string QB. Having said that, it is equally rare to only have one upper classman on the depth chart. I see Shelly bringing some age and experience the others don't have. I'm still in the HC3 fan club. I think he has a great touch in his passes. I'm looking forward to seeing him work with the main group and a full pkaybook.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22



MWCFAN12
Posts: 795
Joined: January 1st, 2011, 2:10 am
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by MWCFAN12 » July 12th, 2020, 1:03 am

Colombi is my guy.

Away we go.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post:
aggies22



slcagg
Posts: 4947
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 744 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by slcagg » July 12th, 2020, 5:33 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 1:03 am
Colombi is my guy.

Away we go.
Thanks coach!
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22



UStateTim
Posts: 191
Joined: November 26th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by UStateTim » July 12th, 2020, 9:18 am

Yossarian wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:58 pm
LKGates wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:33 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:20 pm
Yossarian wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 9:34 pm
This seems really odd to me. Colombi is capable, had been in the program 3 years and is ready to break out. Peasley and Legas and Josh Calvin are all quality backups. This seemed like a position we were well stocked at.
I agree, i wonder how Columbi feels about this. He has waited his time and is a real good talent. I understand competition is good but we seemed to be pretty good at already. We now have 5 which seems overkill.
I'd like to remind everyone that in 2014, we went through 5 quarterbacks because of injuries, eventually drafting Tay Glover-Wright to fill in late in the season. By the way, I personally think Tay was the most versatile and athletic Aggie football player of the last 10 years. The kid could play just about any skill position on either side of the ball, and do it well.
I certainly remember that year. I think that had to be some kind record, didn't it? We had 5 different quarterbacks throw at least one touchdown pass in a game that year. I also think that is a testament to how rare it is that any team gets to the fifth string QB. Having said that, it is equally rare to only have one upper classman on the depth chart. I see Shelly bringing some age and experience the others don't have. I'm still in the HC3 fan club. I think he has a great touch in his passes. I'm looking forward to seeing him work with the main group and a full pkaybook.
I have to wonder if Legas or Calvin goes through a position change. Having two qb’s in the same class doesn’t make sense



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2965 times
Contact:

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by aggies22 » July 12th, 2020, 9:34 am

UStateTim wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 9:18 am
Yossarian wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:58 pm
LKGates wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:33 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 10:20 pm
Yossarian wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 9:34 pm
This seems really odd to me. Colombi is capable, had been in the program 3 years and is ready to break out. Peasley and Legas and Josh Calvin are all quality backups. This seemed like a position we were well stocked at.
I agree, i wonder how Columbi feels about this. He has waited his time and is a real good talent. I understand competition is good but we seemed to be pretty good at already. We now have 5 which seems overkill.
I'd like to remind everyone that in 2014, we went through 5 quarterbacks because of injuries, eventually drafting Tay Glover-Wright to fill in late in the season. By the way, I personally think Tay was the most versatile and athletic Aggie football player of the last 10 years. The kid could play just about any skill position on either side of the ball, and do it well.
I certainly remember that year. I think that had to be some kind record, didn't it? We had 5 different quarterbacks throw at least one touchdown pass in a game that year. I also think that is a testament to how rare it is that any team gets to the fifth string QB. Having said that, it is equally rare to only have one upper classman on the depth chart. I see Shelly bringing some age and experience the others don't have. I'm still in the HC3 fan club. I think he has a great touch in his passes. I'm looking forward to seeing him work with the main group and a full pkaybook.
I have to wonder if Legas or Calvin goes through a position change. Having two qb’s in the same class doesn’t make sense
Having Henry Colombi and Jason Shelley both being juniors doesn't really affect the underclassmen at QB. One way or another they will all be waiting for their turn for two seasons.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2814
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 606 times

Re: New QB transfer?

Post by ineptimusprime » July 12th, 2020, 9:53 am

I am hopeful about Colombi and really admire how he’s waited his turn.

The competition will be a good thing, and if he’s the guy, he’ll win the job. If he’s not the guy, I’ll be happy for Shelley (or whoever wins the job).

But this is all academic, because there probably won’t be a season.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic