BYU is Screwed!!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Re: BYU is Screwed!!

Post by Aggie84025 » July 11th, 2020, 8:21 pm

Yossarian wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 11:46 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 9:43 am
Chatman wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 9:40 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 7:30 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 11:26 pm
BYU will likely play in the MW this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why would we help them out like this?
Because it helps everyone else in the conference also
How? Is BYU sharing their ESPN revenue? Our conference contract doesn’t get any sweeter with additional games on TV. And half the teams would spend MORE money by traveling to Provo. It’s not like they can sell more tickets to the BYU game.
ESPN will be in a world of financial hurt if there is no college football. They aren't going to be able to pay any more for MWC- BYU games. I doubt there will be a lot of interest in this Orlando NBA tournament and ESPN had alienated a good chunk if their viewers by making it a political tournament more than a basketball tournament. Their days may be numbered.
I used to love watching ESPN especially sportscenter. Aside from watching an Aggie game on ESPN I rarely watch any of their content. When I watch sports I don't want all the political messages, there is plenty of that garbage on the news networks.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
NVAggie

LKGates

Post by LKGates » July 11th, 2020, 10:04 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 8:05 pm
If BYU would like to have a 2020 football season, they should abandon independence and return to the mountain west for all sports. Period. If not, rot in hell, cougies.
I am only half joking when I suggest this: There are 5 independents that have no real conference affiliation; BYU, UConn, UMass, NMSU, and Liberty. This year, each school could play the other four home and home. Throw in an FCS game, and you have a 9 game season.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » July 11th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Yossarian wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Chatman wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

How? Is BYU sharing their ESPN revenue? Our conference contract doesn’t get any sweeter with additional games on TV. And half the teams would spend MORE money by traveling to Provo. It’s not like they can sell more tickets to the BYU game.
ESPN will be in a world of financial hurt if there is no college football. They aren't going to be able to pay any more for MWC- BYU games. I doubt there will be a lot of interest in this Orlando NBA tournament and ESPN had alienated a good chunk if their viewers by making it a political tournament more than a basketball tournament. Their days may be numbered.
What? :headscratch:

Are people really too politically blinded to support a league that is getting their sport back on the court while also supporting their players in fighting for equal rights and justice ? If people are either too racist or stubborn to watch a game with the words "Black Lives Matter" on the court, they're welcome to cut off their nose to spite their face and turn off the TV to pout in the corner. I'll be enjoying me some basketball.

I'm counting the days to the NBA restart and finally having some real sports on TV to follow. Should be fun!

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » July 12th, 2020, 12:59 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
If BYU would like to have a 2020 football season, they should abandon independence and return to the mountain west for all sports. Period. If not, rot in hell, cougies.

No Thanks. I would rather pass a kidney stone.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 12th, 2020, 3:26 am

treesap32 wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 11:21 pm
Yossarian wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Chatman wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Are people really too politically blinded to support a league that is getting their sport back on the court while also supporting their players in fighting for equal rights and justice ? If people are either too racist or stubborn to watch a game with the words "Black Lives Matter" on the court, they're welcome to cut off their nose to spite their face and turn off the TV to pout in the corner. I'll be enjoying me some basketball.

I'm counting the days to the NBA restart and finally having some real sports on TV to follow. Should be fun!
Good for you tree our favorite Silas! Go jazz right?

Just a thought and I’m not sure Yossarian is off because whether good or bad I do believe viewership will be down for multiple reasons (another is people aren’t used to watching basketball in July and August). What if for some people the blm movement is more than racism? Some people do believe that the actual organization believes in Marxism, change of western culture etc, religious liberty, family structure etc. The leaders of the organization have stated that in some way. Which I’d assume you are against as well. Now I get it the nba hasn’t said they support the organization but it isn’t difficult to have that as a slogan and then be tied to the organization. So obviously if the nba supports it it may rub some people the wrong way and they are free to choose to spend there time in some other way. And that is ok! It doesn’t make them racist or stubborn, but that’s just my opinion.

Btw I found it interesting that lebron announced yesterday that he would use his name on his jersey rather than a statement. Lebron is no dummy, i wonder if his concerns are with viewership. From a financial standpoint he was smart enough to sit out the whole China and Hong Kong controversy. I’m guessing deep down he knew China and Hong Kong and what was right. Why do think he decided to be one of the few in the league to not put a approved statement on his jersey?

Lebron also stated that he would have liked to have an opinion on what was approved to wear. Isn’t it kind of funny the nba is letting them wear something but it has to be approved and only fits one narrative? There are so many additional great causes out there. Take joe ingles maybe he’d like to promote autism awareness. Or lebron has done a lot even built a school maybe he’d like to promote the importance of education to the younger generation. Or maybe somebody wants to promote cancer awareness, or world starvation etc. These are grown man, why do they have preapprived messages only.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
USU78

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » July 12th, 2020, 7:44 am

Off topic but I think the nba games are going to suck with no crowd. Won't it be fun watching someone throw down a monster dunk and run back down the court to the sound of crickets chirping. As for the political crap, wake me up when the nba approves "Free Hong Kong" for the back of the jerseys.

And yes, I hope byu gets screwed over this year.

Miguk Aggie

Post by Miguk Aggie » July 12th, 2020, 9:39 am

FWIW

I recently checked around the boards of our fellow MWC members and most of them agree about BYU getting screwed. Some posted a sense of glee about it.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 12th, 2020, 9:47 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 12:59 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

No Thanks. I would rather pass a kidney stone.
I mean, screw BYU and all, but BYU coming back would be: (1) good for the conference (as much as I wish it weren’t); and (2) extremely satisfying to see them brought to their knees to have to beg to get back in.

I can’t really see the MW having much incentive to throw them a lifeline otherwise unless ESPN is willing to renegotiate contracts in a way that means more $$ for each MW school for the upcoming season. Otherwise, it would seem to just dilute the TV money and create scheduling logistical issues just to do a favor for BYU. I don’t see that happening.

This will all end up being academic, because in all reality, I don’t think the season will happen.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
oleblu111

LKGates

Post by LKGates » July 12th, 2020, 5:39 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Chatman wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

The NBA has a list of approved "social justice" words and phrases that can be put on the uniforms. You will not be seeing, for example, "Free Hong Kong", or "Free the Uyghurs", or "All Lives Matter".
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
USU78

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 12th, 2020, 6:05 pm

LKGates wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 5:39 pm
treesap32 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Chatman wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

The NBA has a list of approved "social justice" words and phrases that can be put on the uniforms. You will not be seeing, for example, "Free Hong Kong", or "Free the Uyghurs", or "All Lives Matter".
I heard they approved "Zionism is Life!"

Or maybe not.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
LKGates

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » July 12th, 2020, 8:43 pm

"CTR" by jabari
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post (total 2):
USU78slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 13th, 2020, 8:47 am

TrueAG wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 8:43 pm
"CTR" by jabari
Lol. Sam with “read your scriptures”

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » July 13th, 2020, 10:41 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I think this scenario is highly likely. My guess is that Hawaii's season could get cancelled. I believe the Islands just extended its closure for tourist, etc.

Hopefully, the MWC makes a decision shortly and goes conference only, includes BYU, and re-schedules the season. It will be interesting to see if BYU plays along.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 13th, 2020, 10:52 am

IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 10:41 am
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I think this scenario is highly likely. My guess is that Hawaii's season could get cancelled. I believe the Islands just extended its closure for tourist, etc.

Hopefully, the MWC makes a decision shortly and goes conference only, includes BYU, and re-schedules the season. It will be interesting to see if BYU plays along.
Who cares if Hawaii can't play, why would we need ybu if we went conference only??????????? We have plenty of teams to play:

AFA (doubtful they play IMHO)
Boise
CSU
Fresno
Reno
SJSU
UNLV
UNM
Wyo

We can potentially play a full season with just our members alone.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » July 13th, 2020, 5:07 pm

ViAggie wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 10:52 am
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Who cares if Hawaii can't play, why would we need ybu if we went conference only??????????? We have plenty of teams to play:

Boise
CSU
Fresno
Reno
SJSU
UNLV
UNM
Wyo

Because the Mountain West schools are all insecure and pretend they hate the girl that dumped them years ago but their hearts skip a beat when she accidentally butt dials them.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 13th, 2020, 5:23 pm

TrueAG wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 5:07 pm
ViAggie wrote:
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Boise
CSU
Fresno
Reno
SJSU
UNLV
UNM
Wyo

Because the Mountain West schools are all insecure and pretend they hate the girl that dumped them years ago but their hearts skip a beat when she accidentally butt dials them.
No, our response is "new number, who dis?"
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
AggiePT

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » July 13th, 2020, 9:30 pm

TrueAG wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Boise
CSU
Fresno
Reno
SJSU
UNLV
UNM
Wyo

We like big butts and we cannot lie?

We know BYU has some voluminous coeds

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 13th, 2020, 9:36 pm

crazywookie wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 9:30 pm
TrueAG wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
IBleedAggieBlue wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Boise
CSU
Fresno
Reno
SJSU
UNLV
UNM
Wyo

We like big butts and we cannot lie?

We know BYU has some voluminous coeds
One ton 🍅
My girl's a one ton 🍅

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 13th, 2020, 11:28 pm

BYU can get us desperately needed eyes. Cutting off our nose to spite our face is a bad idea this season.

TBH We’d be very lucky to play either. We are closer to the Patriot League/Ivy League in terms of ability to fund a season than we are the Big 10.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » July 13th, 2020, 11:53 pm

LKGates wrote:

To revisit this issue, a guy posted audio of his call to the NBA jersey vendor on Twitter. The guy asked if he could have a "Social Justice" jersey with "Free Hong Kong" on it. He was told no, absolutely not. He asked if he could have a jersey with "Kill Cops" on it. He was told yes, no problem.

The NBA cancels anyone who speaks out about the CCP's authoritarian behavior, their shameless nullification of the rights that were guaranteed to citizens of Hong Kong after the transfer from Britain, and their imprisonment of Uyghur Muslims in concentration camps, all because of the money to be made from the Chinese market. Their embrace of social justice themes is just cynical marketing. I never really watched the NBA. I always found it boring. I certainly won't watch it now.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 4):
USU78slcaggNVAggienewtonianblue

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » July 14th, 2020, 4:56 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 11:28 pm
BYU can get us desperately needed eyes. Cutting off our nose to spite our face is a bad idea this season.

TBH We’d be very lucky to play either. We are closer to the Patriot League/Ivy League in terms of ability to fund a season than we are the Big 10.
With university endowments ranging from a low of $4.2 Billion, to a high of $40.9 Billion, the Ivy League is in the best position of anyone, including the Big Ten, to fund a football season if they were to choose to do so.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 14th, 2020, 5:49 am

LKGates wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 11:53 pm
LKGates wrote:

To revisit this issue, a guy posted audio of his call to the NBA jersey vendor on Twitter. The guy asked if he could have a "Social Justice" jersey with "Free Hong Kong" on it. He was told no, absolutely not. He asked if he could have a jersey with "Kill Cops" on it. He was told yes, no problem.

The NBA cancels anyone who speaks out about the CCP's authoritarian behavior, their shameless nullification of the rights that were guaranteed to citizens of Hong Kong after the transfer from Britain, and their imprisonment of Uyghur Muslims in concentration camps, all because of the money to be made from the Chinese market. Their embrace of social justice themes is just cynical marketing. I never really watched the NBA. I always found it boring. I certainly won't watch it now.
Great point LK. However you better watch out. For some on this board stating something like this makes you either racist, ignorant or stubborn.

Regardless what others believe the nba tv ratings will suffer as many in this country see the league, coaches and players as a bunch of overpaid hypocrites that want to tell the American people what to believe. Of course they do this until they think it will effect their payday.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 14th, 2020, 7:54 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 4:56 am
Imakeitrain wrote:

With university endowments ranging from a low of $4.2 Billion, to a high of $40.9 Billion, the Ivy League is in the best position of anyone, including the Big Ten, to fund a football season if they were to choose to do so.
I was referring to athletic department budgets and how they’re funded. The Big 10 can still make tens of millions off of tv alone. That’s a big incentive to push through.

So although Ivy League schools could fund a season it would be the school footing the bill with no gate and limited television appeal.

I think as much as we can the mwc will try to play. I just don’t know if it’s a foregone conclusion.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » July 15th, 2020, 4:46 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 7:54 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

I was referring to athletic department budgets and how they’re funded. The Big 10 can still make tens of millions off of tv alone. That’s a big incentive to push through.

So although Ivy League schools could fund a season it would be the school footing the bill with no gate and limited television appeal.

I think as much as we can the mwc will try to play. I just don’t know if it’s a foregone conclusion.
The Ivy League schools pretty much foot the bill for all of their sports as it is. Attendance is quite low at games, and sponsorship is quite small as well. Their athletic departments are not self sustaining. That is why they are actually in a relatively good position for sustaining themselves without any games. They don't rely on television, ticket sales, or sponsorships nearly as much as the other leagues.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 15th, 2020, 6:28 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 4:46 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

The Ivy League schools pretty much foot the bill for all of their sports as it is. Attendance is quite low at games, and sponsorship is quite small as well. Their athletic departments are not self sustaining. That is why they are actually in a relatively good position for sustaining themselves without any games. They don't rely on television, ticket sales, or sponsorships nearly as much as the other leagues.
My point was that smaller conferences might be impacted worse financially than the Big Ten who will still receive big tv dollars. Whereas some conferences need gate money, and money from body bag games and not being able to collect any of those could adversely affect the program.

I understand the Ivy League in particular has a different structure. They don’t have the same costs.

Are you claiming that Ivy League athletics budgets and revenues are on par with any P5 conference and that those budgets fully come from each university endowment?

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » July 15th, 2020, 6:38 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 6:28 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 4:46 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

My point was that smaller conferences might be impacted worse financially than the Big Ten who will still receive big tv dollars. Whereas some conferences need gate money, and money from body bag games and not being able to collect any of those could adversely affect the program.

I understand the Ivy League in particular has a different structure. They don’t have the same costs.

Are you claiming that Ivy League athletics budgets and revenues are on par with any P5 conference and that those budgets fully come from each university endowment?
No, not at all. But I am claiming that if they were an FBS league, with full ride athletic scholarships, etc. that they would be in a better financial position to keep their athletic departments alive during a non-existent season than any other conference would be.

Locked Previous topicNext topic