California Atty General torpedoes MWC

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Ahbye

California Atty General torpedoes MWC

Post by Ahbye » June 24th, 2020, 12:02 am

Probably. In response to Idaho legislating against men competing as women, California banned state-sponsored travel to Idaho. If the California schools won't travel to Boise, how does that work for scheduling?

Yossarian

Re: California Atty General torpedoes MWC

Post by Yossarian » June 24th, 2020, 12:22 am

That could be a problem. If the rest of the country would just let California lawmakers make the laws for every state, our country would be harmonious.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
USU78

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 24th, 2020, 5:49 am

Yossarian wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 12:22 am
That could be a problem. If the rest of the country would just let California lawmakers make the laws for every state, our country would be harmonious.
Well there are enough Californians moving to Idaho that it is only a matter of time.

People fleeing California because the state laws have made it unbearable to live in then come and vote for the same thing in the new state they moved to. Can’t make this stuff up.
Last edited by slcagg on June 24th, 2020, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
MachismoSLB

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 24th, 2020, 7:25 am

As long as California is ready to lose Boise State. Don't be surprised if Boise comes back with some demands that each California school travel to Boise every season with no return trips, and Boise will keep an extra $2M per season for its continued partnership with the state of California. California is very lucky to have Boise state.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 7):
YoungBloodAggieAggie19aggies22aggieguy13AggiesForeverUSU78AGinNEIowa

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 24th, 2020, 7:28 am

Ahbye wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 12:02 am
Probably. In response to Idaho legislating against men competing as women, California banned state-sponsored travel to Idaho. If the California schools won't travel to Boise, how does that work for scheduling?
We will host the Cal State games @ Boise here in Logan, for a fee.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 5):
flying_scotsman2.0aggies22ViAggieBLUERUFiOUSU78

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

calaggie

Post by calaggie » June 24th, 2020, 9:43 am

slcagg wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 5:49 am
Yossarian wrote:
Well there are enough Californians moving to Idaho that it is only a matter of time.

People fleeing California because the state laws have made it unbearable to live in then come and vote for the same thing in the new state they moved to. Can’t make this stuff up.
Yes, here in California, all we ever talk about is the dream of moving to Idaho.
These users thanked the author calaggie for the post (total 3):
AggiesForeverUSU78Sl7vk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 24th, 2020, 9:50 am

calaggie wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 9:43 am
slcagg wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Yes, here in California, all we ever talk about is the dream of moving to Idaho.
The allure of living a life like Napolean Dynamite is just too great.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
flying_scotsman2.0USU78AggiePT

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 24th, 2020, 9:52 am

These are dumb and short lived. I bet the schools will simply ignore them. They are technically state sponsored since the sports programs can argue they are self-funded.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 24th, 2020, 10:19 am

Ahbye wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 12:02 am
So the ban is for state-paid to Idaho citing two Idaho bills that were recently signed into law:

one prohibits transgender males from competing against females in athletic competition

the second one prohibits amending one's birth certificate to the gender with which they identify

There are 11 such states on California's banned list for paid state employee travel. These states include:

Alabama
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Mississippi
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas

I remember Arizona was on this list at one point but seemed to have awakened enough for California to accept them again. I don't know how this affects sports travel. The players are not paid state employees, but the coaches are.

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 24th, 2020, 11:53 am

calaggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

You may not talk about it. But it is happening and the main reason isn’t because of better beaches in other locations. California laws and regulations are killing business income and people’s ability to live reasonably.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercur ... ornia/amp/

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 24th, 2020, 12:13 pm

slcagg wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 11:53 am
calaggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

You may not talk about it. But it is happening and the main reason isn’t because of better beaches in other locations. California laws are killing business income and people’s ability to live reasonably.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mercur ... ornia/amp/
It's not just the business-unfriendly environment. California has one of, if not the highest gas taxes in the country. Close to the highest state income tax rate. They also have one of the largest state governments (over 300 departments and divisions at my last count) with a generous pension plan for state employees. You can live very well on a CalPERS plan after 20 or 30 years of service. This pension plan is a Ponsi scheme, however. The government must grow and get more people contributing to the plan for the current retirees to get their full pensions. As government grows, it must be fed. So more taxes, fees, and the like must be dreamed up. When you get in a time of an economic downturn and the stock market takes a dive, the pension fund is in jeopardy. I can't imagine the revolt that will happen if pensioners have to be told they are lowering or cutting their pensions.

Housing cost is a big issue here. I don't know how young people make it starting out. Even rent in suburbs 25 miles from Sacramento is crazy. Two bedroom apartments (like 700 or 800 sf) are renting for $2400/mo or more, in some cases. I need to get out while I have equity in my house before the it crashes.

California has done many things right, but they are killing the Golden calf. One thing that they did do right was put a cap on the property tax hikes from one year to the next. This keeps the property tax bill manageable while the property value went up on a steep incline. Without this, there would be a lot more people leaving. The climate and business opportunities brought people here in droves. Now they can't afford to stay. They are leaving and taking their Bay Area and Los Angeles politics with them. Phoenix, Boise, Denver, Austin, Seattle, Portland and their suburbs are popular landing spots.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
USU78

Eutaw St. Aggie

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » June 24th, 2020, 2:55 pm

The revolt will be like the one back in the 1980's called Proposition 13. A guy named Howard Jarvis mobilized citizens of the state and taxes and state spending were seriously curtailed. A lot people gave Prop 13 credit for helping to elect Ronald Reagan president in 1980. But as usual, government will find a way around everything. Thirty-five years later, Californians endure one of the heaviest tax burdens in the country. So what happened to Proposition 13? In addition to state increases in income and sales taxes, local governments made an end run around it by imposing an array of local taxes and "fees" to make up for lost tax revenue. Instead of tightening belts, like the voters asked for, they just taxed them in "unseen" ways. Like the out of control gas tax that Yossarian referred to.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » June 25th, 2020, 9:57 am

You guys crack me up.
Let's flush the 5th largest economy in the world, and the center of innovation in our country right down the toilet in favor of Rexburg Idaho.
:crazy:

SLB

Post by SLB » June 25th, 2020, 10:46 am

Sl7vk wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 9:57 am
You guys crack me up.
Let's flush the 5th largest economy in the world, and the center of innovation in our country right down the toilet in favor of Rexburg Idaho.
I was a 3rd generation Californian (my father and his father were born in Modesto), and the state of California is on the verge of a complete economic meltdown. The economy in California is very much based on tech these days which is leaving the state along everything else. The crops in California are depended on the bees from Arizona and Utah (so if anything happens to the bees in Arizona and Utah serious crop issues in California), and California keep passing rules to make it harder to farm in California. The debt for the state of California is out of control which means the many government workers in California are in trouble of losing their jobs. Cost of living in California is completely out of control, and it is hard to have a conformable amount of real dollars in California. Texas and Idaho are currently the top 2 states in getting Californians because the middle class in California are tired of being poor.
By % top states in population growth over the last 10 years
1) Utah
2) Texas
3) Colorado
4) Florida
5) Nevada
6) Idaho
7) Arizona
6 of top 7 in population growth by % have the mountain time zone.
Last edited by SLB on June 25th, 2020, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 25th, 2020, 11:01 am

Sl7vk wrote:
You guys crack me up.
Didn't your daddy ever teach you it's not how much you make, it's how much you spend?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » June 25th, 2020, 11:05 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:01 am
Sl7vk wrote:
You guys crack me up.
Didn't your daddy ever teach you it's not how much you make, it's how much you spend?
My daddy is a French immigrant who came here with 1 suitcase in 1975.
He grew up poor, did very well here, and really never learned to spend his money.

California's current situation is far less linear than some of you make it. California has had an out-migration of people to other states for 30+ years. It's complicated because the majority of people that leave are poor while those that move to California are wealthy. I'm not saying it's good or bad and I'm also not saying that I want to live in California by any means. Furthermore, the loss of residents has been made up for in most every year by international immigration to the State.

Cost of living is a function of wealth. Taxes play a large role as well, no question. With that said, the ballooning cost of living on the Wasatch front is almost 100% tied to increased salaries and a housing market that has been bubbling for years.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 25th, 2020, 11:09 am

Sl7vk wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:05 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
You guys crack me up.
He grew up poor, did very well here, and really never learned to spend his money.

California's current situation is far less linear than some of you make it. California has had an out-migration of people to other states for 30+ years. It's complicated because the majority of people that leave are poor while those that move to California are wealthy. I'm not saying it's good or bad and I'm also not saying that I want to live in California by any means. Furthermore, the loss of residents has been made up for in most every year by international immigration to the State.

Cost of living is a function of wealth. Taxes play a large role as well, no question. With that said, the ballooning cost of living on the Wasatch front is almost 100% tied to increased salaries and a housing market that has been bubbling for years.
ALLLLMOST responded to this in a way that would have sent it to the Sandbox. All I'll say is that poor people aren't the ones moving away, as they don't have the resources to do so. If I were you I'd look into it more.

Back to the business of this thread: I'd be willing to bet any sum of money that the Cal State schools will not miss any games in Boise over this travel ban.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 25th, 2020, 11:11 am

California sports is torpedoed. You can get private donations for awhile but it starts to get really expensive.

And it’s not like they can join the aac and have it be any better- as many of the schools are in travel ban states.

Sucks for SJSU. If they don’t want to travel to Boise, MWC should make them forfeit. California has 0 bargaining power here.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 25th, 2020, 11:12 am

ViAggie wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 9:52 am
These are dumb and short lived. I bet the schools will simply ignore them. They are technically state sponsored since the sports programs can argue they are self-funded.
Pray you're right.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » June 25th, 2020, 11:15 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:09 am
Sl7vk wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
You guys crack me up.

ALLLLMOST responded to this in a way that would have sent it to the Sandbox. All I'll say is that poor people aren't the ones moving away, as they don't have the resources to do so. If I were you I'd look into it more.

Back to the business of this thread: I'd be willing to bet any sum of money that the Cal State schools will not miss any games in Boise over this travel ban.
Incorrect.

SLB

Post by SLB » June 25th, 2020, 11:24 am

Sl7vk wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:15 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
You guys crack me up.

Incorrect.

You know that California is believe to be losing a seat in the House because so many left the state.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » June 25th, 2020, 11:32 am

Yes, they will lose a seat.
That's a result of lower earners being squeezed out of the state, AND much less international immigration coming into the state.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
USU78

USU78

Post by USU78 » June 25th, 2020, 11:43 am

Sl7vk wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:32 am
Yes, they will lose a seat.
That's a result of lower earners being squeezed out of the state, AND much less international immigration coming into the state.
Don't discount high earners running for the hills because of meteoric tax rises.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Sl7vk

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 25th, 2020, 12:39 pm

That's enough. No more opinions, just facts and eternal truths:

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » June 25th, 2020, 10:43 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Now that is funny! Has anyone heard that Arizona is the Mississippi of the West?

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » June 25th, 2020, 10:51 pm

SLB wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:24 am
Sl7vk wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
You guys crack me up.

Incorrect.

You know that California is believe to be losing a seat in the House because so many left the state.
This whole argument makes me laugh. It reminds me of the conversations on this board that Chicago is a (I can't express myself without swearing) hole because of crime. People that have not lived in Chicago generalize based on what they hear/read in the media, and think Chicago is a bad place.....when in fact it's one of the best big cities to live in. Illinois on the other hand is a (I can't express myself without swearing) show. I'd much rather have a government that is progressive like California than the corrupt government of Illinois that can't pay it's bills. Fact is California is the 5th largest economy in the world. Those of you that want kick it out of the US or have it drop in the Pacific Ocean should be careful what you wish for.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 26th, 2020, 12:35 am

ChicagoAggie wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 10:51 pm
SLB wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 11:24 am
Sl7vk wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
You guys crack me up.

Incorrect.

This whole argument makes me laugh. It reminds me of the conversations on this board that Chicago is a (I can't express myself without swearing) hole because of crime. People that have not lived in Chicago generalize based on what they hear/read in the media, and think Chicago is a bad place.....when in fact it's one of the best big cities to live in. Illinois on the other hand is a (I can't express myself without swearing) show. I'd much rather have a government that is progressive like California than the corrupt government of Illinois that can't pay it's bills. Fact is California is the 5th largest economy in the world. Those of you that want kick it out of the US or have it drop in the Pacific Ocean should be careful what you wish for.
Idk about all that. It’s not that California is “bad”. It’s just not really practical.

Here’s the thing with Cali..

If you’re broke, you can live in LA.

If you live paycheck to paycheck you can live in LA.

If you want to live in a normal house, you can commute from Chino Hills or something and even that isn’t exactly cheap.

I do want to move back to Cali. But, that’s because despite. But DC having similar issues to LA- I’m also jealous that in Utah $600,000 can get you a really cool place.

In Cali you can either spend $1.2 M on a run down tiny house in Sherman Oaks or you can by an incredible property in Scottsdale or an absolute compound in Texas.

For me it’s an easy choice. I’m single. I don’t care about buying a house. But if i were married and trying to raise kids- I would rather not have to commute 2 hours from Tustin or raise my family in a shoe box.

USU78

Post by USU78 » June 26th, 2020, 8:16 am

ChicagoAggie wrote:
June 25th, 2020, 10:43 pm

Now that is funny! Has anyone heard that Arizona is the Mississippi of the West?
I believe that would be Reno

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 26th, 2020, 8:45 am

USU78 wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 8:16 am
ChicagoAggie wrote:

If we are going solely off of "poor people and ugly relative to its neighboring states," the obvious Mississippi of the West is New Mexico.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
USU78

USU78

Post by USU78 » June 26th, 2020, 8:46 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 8:45 am
USU78 wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:

If we are going solely off of "poor people and ugly relative to its neighboring states," the obvious Mississippi of the West is New Mexico.
Winner! Winner! Winner!

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » June 26th, 2020, 9:22 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:

So does that make Arizona, Arkansas or Louisiana?

Go Aggies!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 26th, 2020, 9:43 am

AggiesForever wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 2:55 pm
The revolt will be like the one back in the 1980's called Proposition 13. A guy named Howard Jarvis mobilized citizens of the state and taxes and state spending were seriously curtailed. A lot people gave Prop 13 credit for helping to elect Ronald Reagan president in 1980. But as usual, government will find a way around everything. Thirty-five years later, Californians endure one of the heaviest tax burdens in the country. So what happened to Proposition 13? In addition to state increases in income and sales taxes, local governments made an end run around it by imposing an array of local taxes and "fees" to make up for lost tax revenue. Instead of tightening belts, like the voters asked for, they just taxed them in "unseen" ways. Like the out of control gas tax that Yossarian referred to.
I pay less in State income tax here in Ca than I did in Utah!!!! Yes that is true! The reason is because Ca gives you deductibles (child credit, et al). Does Utah give you those kind of deductibles? NOPE. So every year I lived in Utah, I always ended up writing them a check at the end of the year (odd because I got a fed. tax return). I will admit that if you are an empty nester in Ca, sitting pretty financially, then yes, you are paying higher taxes. Gas tax is somewhat regressive, but I will admit that I like driving down even roads with well painted lines (not fading every year from winter road salt).

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 26th, 2020, 9:48 am

ViAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 9:43 am
AggiesForever wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 2:55 pm
I pay less in State income tax here in Ca than I did in Utah!!!! Yes that is true! The reason is because Ca gives you deductibles (child credit, et al). Does Utah give you those kind of deductibles? NOPE. So every year I lived in Utah, I always ended up writing them a check at the end of the year (odd because I got a fed. tax return). I will admit that if you are an empty nester in Ca, sitting pretty financially, then yes, you are paying higher taxes. Gas tax is somewhat regressive, but I will admit that I like driving down even roads with well painted lines (not fading every year from winter road salt).
Congrats on the roads! First thing I think about when deciding to move somewhere is how often they paint the streets.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 26th, 2020, 9:51 am

Aggie19 wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 9:22 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:

Arkansas (especially NW Arkansas) is beautiful, and Louisiana has great food (some of the best in the country). Doubly complicating matters is that most of Louisiana and I think all of Arkansas are west of the Mississippi, so they already fill the role of Arkansas and Louisiana of the West.

No sir, Arizona is something much worse. Arizona is Delaware.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
Aggie19

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 26th, 2020, 9:55 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 9:51 am
Aggie19 wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 9:22 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
ChicagoAggie wrote:

Arkansas (especially NW Arkansas) is beautiful, and Louisiana has great food (some of the best in the country). Doubly complicating matters is that most of Louisiana and I think all of Arkansas are west of the Mississippi, so they already fill the role of Arkansas and Louisiana of the West.

No sir, Arizona is something much worse. Arizona is Delaware.
Nw Arkansas by Rogers, Fayetteville is great country.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
YoungBloodAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic