Call your shot: will there be a season?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.

Yes. Conference only, with games in the fall.
45%
Yes. Conference only, with games in the spring.
15%
Nope.
40%

Total votes: 80

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 12th, 2020, 9:56 am

Self-explanatory. Whatcha think.

jpswensen

Re: Call your shot: will there be a season?

Post by jpswensen » July 12th, 2020, 10:37 am

I am doubtful. I think schools and conferences will probably take into account how it affects their bottom line. Does holding some games end up making them lose less money.

Having sat in on many Town Halls at WSU where our President and Dean have been very forthright about the effects of state funding on the academics side of COVID19, if football doesn’t happen, there will likely be long lasting changes made to athletic programs because they can’t eat losses like this for very long.

Just for reference, in 2018 WSU had $65M in revenues and $69M in expenditures. Of those revenues, $8.4M was from ticket sales, $20M from media rights, $10.7M from conference distribution, and $9.1 from donors ($48M of total). I don’t know exactly how media rights payment are affected by a cancelled season, but all the rest of those are going to get hammered. On the expenses side, scholarship are $10.8M, coaches salaries are $12.8M, and other administrative salaries are $13.3M ($36M). None of those numbers will drop unless scholarships are pulled/decreased, sports cancelled, and/or coaches and other staff let go.

Every academic department is being asked to make pretty drastic cuts in expenditures (around 10%) to make up for loss in state funds. Many athletic departments are already running at a loss and the loss of the season could very cause losses that well dwarf the other revenue losses that universities are tying to cope with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 12th, 2020, 11:15 am

I'm thinking the league, within the next couple of weeks, will announce twelve game schedules for everybody, with twelfth games against regional indies and other regional schools looking for games: there's only so much NewMag and Bougar to go around.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » July 12th, 2020, 11:49 am

Perhaps this will finally bring head coaching salaries down a bit.
Crazy that the top paid public employees in almost all 50 States are football coaches.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 12th, 2020, 12:06 pm

I voted yes because I’m optimistic, but deep down?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 12th, 2020, 3:08 pm

USU78 wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 11:15 am
I'm thinking the league, within the next couple of weeks, will announce twelve game schedules for everybody, with twelfth games against regional indies and other regional schools looking for games: there's only so much NewMag and Bougar to go around.
I doubt you are right, but would be happy if you are. I'm leaning closer to the season not getting played. That isn't what I want to happen. Hopefully they find a way to have a season just with limited fans.

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » July 12th, 2020, 4:21 pm

I'm saying no. Realizing that no football means so much lost revenue that many schools, including USU, might see the deaths of their entire athletic departments. I cannot imagine allowing so many people being crammed together in stadiums. I wonder if, somehow, deals could be reached with the networks (you know, ESPN, CBS, PAC-12, et al) to broadcast games even in empty stadiums and in that way salvage some revenue. But in all of that, what about the health and safety of the players?

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » July 12th, 2020, 9:11 pm

Is the team getting tested?
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 12th, 2020, 10:35 pm

72AgGrad wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 4:21 pm
I'm saying no. Realizing that no football means so much lost revenue that many schools, including USU, might see the deaths of their entire athletic departments. I cannot imagine allowing so many people being crammed together in stadiums. I wonder if, somehow, deals could be reached with the networks (you know, ESPN, CBS, PAC-12, et al) to broadcast games even in empty stadiums and in that way salvage some revenue. But in all of that, what about the health and safety of the players?
I am sure they will try and play with no crowds if possible and at least get tv money. Fans in stadiums maybe can happen in very limited capacity since outdoors is a bit safer than indoors. Have stadiums be filled at say 20% and make masks mandatory. It sucks, but that is better than nothing.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 13th, 2020, 10:08 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 10:35 pm
72AgGrad wrote:
I am sure they will try and play with no crowds if possible and at least get tv money. Fans in stadiums maybe can happen in very limited capacity since outdoors is a bit safer than indoors. Have stadiums be filled at say 20% and make masks mandatory. It sucks, but that is better than nothing.
I think Euro soccer leagues that have admitted small crowds have required face masks and banned chanting and singing at the games. A stadium at less than half capacity with fans in face masks and not allowed to cheer while walking around like zombies six feet away from each other sounds like a great college football game day atmosphere. Will they at least allow a polite golf clap after a big play? How will they handle food concessions? Or will they be banned? Do they take the temperature of everyone as they walk in? Still lots of questions.

Eutaw St. Aggie

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » July 13th, 2020, 10:14 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:
Does playing a game at 20% capacity actually make money? Security, refs, cleanup, opposing team fee, etc all still have to be paid. I don’t know the typical revenues and costs of an individual game, so maybe that answer is yes.

Does anyone know what this sort of breakdown looks like? How much do tickets sales contribute to it being profitable? Or is the per game TV income much greater than ticket sales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Locked Previous topicNext topic