John Hartwell Interview

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ususports

John Hartwell Interview

Post by ususports » June 17th, 2020, 10:22 pm

The likelihood of football starting on time is great and all, but in this interview, he said that they will likely need to cut out the halftime and timeout promotions during games for safety reasons. How great is it that there will not be that cheesy, corny, stupid, lame, piece of crap, garbage rock-paper-scissors tournament? I am always a glass half full guy, so this is great news. :joking:

https://1280thezone.com/usu-ad-john-har ... t-on-time/
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 4):
aggies22BLUERUFiOUSU78ViAggie

Intermeddler

Re: John Hartwell Interview

Post by Intermeddler » June 17th, 2020, 10:35 pm

Agree. That’s an improvement.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
ViAggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 18th, 2020, 1:46 am

If the "second wave" is growing as quickly and steeply as reported and are predicting, I see no way there will be large gatherings of people in close proximity next fall (or winter or spring). I know people are optimistic and all, but these reports make me think otherwise.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
ViAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 18th, 2020, 7:56 am

ususports wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 10:22 pm
The likelihood of football starting on time is great and all, but in this interview, he said that they will likely need to cut out the halftime and timeout promotions during games for safety reasons. How great is it that there will not be that cheesy, corny, stupid, lame, piece of crap, garbage rock-paper-scissors tournament? I am always a glass half full guy, so this is great news. :joking:

Happy to hear that you're no longer a victim of (checks notes) promotional giveaways from companies that are buying sponsorships from the university.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78flying_scotsman2.0

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Aggie_CEE

Post by Aggie_CEE » June 18th, 2020, 8:33 am

You mean it won't be a 4 hour event, with only 2.5 hours of actual football? Finally some good news.
These users thanked the author Aggie_CEE for the post:
AggiesForever

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » June 18th, 2020, 9:38 am

Aggie_CEE wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 8:33 am
You mean it won't be a 4 hour event, with only 2.5 hours of actual football? Finally some good news.
there will still be commercial breaks and time outs, so the game isn't short, just the distraction during the timeouts won't be there, so it will seem longer, even though it will be the same length.

but that was a great interview and he talked a lot about the preparations, etc.

ususports

Post by ususports » June 18th, 2020, 9:49 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 7:56 am
ususports wrote:

Happy to hear that you're no longer a victim of (checks notes) promotional giveaways from companies that are buying sponsorships from the university.
Perhaps I used one too many adjectives. I get that the university needs sponsorships, and many promotions are decent. However, consider my distaste for some as concern for the companies. When people are dressing up like WWE wrestlers and flexing their muscles and pounding their chest over a Rock Paper Scissors game, it’s pretty stupid, and guess what, I can’t remember the company who sponsored it because I spent all of my time in a state of disbelief that someone thought it was a good idea thinking it would provide valuable entertainment. So that company definitely didn’t get their money’s worth. Additionally, when you have a dice game that there is no chance someone will win the grand prize, and you make one of the consolation prizes “a high five from Big Blue,” (that is a literal prize—no exaggeration) you are setting yourself up for people to not be interested. If you are going to be a sponsor, fork out an extra $10 for a tolerable consolation prize. Once again, I have no idea who the company sponsor is for that one, so count that as one more company that wasted money on sponsorship. Sponsorships are great and needed, and there are some entertaining promos that are good, but I won’t miss the stupid ones.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 18th, 2020, 10:37 am

Yossarian wrote:If the "second wave" is growing as quickly and steeply as reported and are predicting, I see no way there will be large gatherings of people in close proximity next fall (or winter or spring). I know people are optimistic and all, but these reports make me think otherwise.
Hospitalizations and deaths are what matters, not necessarily infections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
BigVBAg

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » June 18th, 2020, 10:49 am

ususports wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 7:56 am
ususports wrote:

Perhaps I used one too many adjectives. I get that the university needs sponsorships, and many promotions are decent. However, consider my distaste for some as concern for the companies. When people are dressing up like WWE wrestlers and flexing their muscles and pounding their chest over a Rock Paper Scissors game, it’s pretty stupid, and guess what, I can’t remember the company who sponsored it because I spent all of my time in a state of disbelief that someone thought it was a good idea thinking it would provide valuable entertainment. So that company definitely didn’t get their money’s worth. Additionally, when you have a dice game that there is no chance someone will win the grand prize, and you make one of the consolation prizes “a high five from Big Blue,” (that is a literal prize—no exaggeration) you are setting yourself up for people to not be interested. If you are going to be a sponsor, fork out an extra $10 for a tolerable consolation prize. Once again, I have no idea who the company sponsor is for that one, so count that as one more company that wasted money on sponsorship. Sponsorships are great and needed, and there are some entertaining promos that are good, but I won’t miss the stupid ones.
Fun fact: no company sponsored the Rock Paper Scissors tourney. It was pitched to a couple but no one took it. I hope that promotions aren’t taken away because that’s my job during the season. If those are gone, I’d imagine pre game fan fest on the west side of the stadium is gone too.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 18th, 2020, 11:03 am

No we're going to open it all up! Good luck everyone!
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
sstrasser

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ususports

Post by ususports » June 18th, 2020, 12:21 pm

tysteve20 wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 10:49 am
Fun fact: no company sponsored the Rock Paper Scissors tourney. It was pitched to a couple but no one took it. I hope that promotions aren’t taken away because that’s my job during the season. If those are gone, I’d imagine pre game fan fest on the west side of the stadium is gone too.
That is a fun fact, and thank you for validating my post with it. If businesses aren’t willing to part with their hard earned money, that might be an indication that a bad idea is being presented. I realize there are other factors that play into businesses saying no, but it should at least trigger the thought, “Is this really a good idea?” if multiple companies say no. I didn’t intend my initial joke to turn into the focal point of this thread, so let’s just focus on how exciting it is that an on time football season with at least some fan attendance is looking more likely and promising. I am very excited! :cheers:
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
sstrasser

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » June 18th, 2020, 12:53 pm

2004AG wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 10:37 am
Yossarian wrote:If the "second wave" is growing as quickly and steeply as reported and are predicting, I see no way there will be large gatherings of people in close proximity next fall (or winter or spring). I know people are optimistic and all, but these reports make me think otherwise.

And the US as a whole has had the weekly deaths drop from the peak (1,500 to 3,000 a day), but that dropping rate has basically stopped and we now have had several weeks where the daily deaths have been between about 400 to a 1,000 a day. So while the death rate has improved, it isn't on a downward trend any longer. :-(

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 18th, 2020, 1:11 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 12:53 pm
2004AG wrote:

And the US as a whole has had the weekly deaths drop from the peak (1,500 to 3,000 a day), but that dropping rate has basically stopped and we now have had several weeks where the daily deaths have been between about 400 to a 1,000 a day. So while the death rate has improved, it isn't on a downward trend any longer. :-(
Yes it is. Yesterday's 7-day death toll was the lowest it's been since April 1st. Deaths were up Tuesday and Wednesday (compared to Sunday and Monday), just as they are every week. This is likely a result of fewer tests being administered and processed on the weekends.

Here are some big HOWEVERS about the data, though:

1. States will routinely dump tests/death numbers from previous days, and that is not reflected in the daily data. So if a state, Texas for example, had conducted an investigation into pneumonia-like deaths in the past month and concluded that an additional 150 deaths should be attributed to COVID-19, all those deaths are counted in one day. This is both good (i.e. fewer actual deaths), and bad (i.e. the old death rate was actually worse than we thought).

2. It is difficult, if not impossible, to get a good idea what the actual fatality rate is. We are almost certainly undercounting deaths from COVID-19 just based on the fact that not everyone dies with a confirmed positive test in a hospital, but we are also missing thousands upon thousands of cases because they are not confirmed (likely because the sick are either asymptomatic or their symptoms are so mild they aren't going in for a test).

3. The death/positive case rate continues to drop. This is likely due to the fact that the average age of a confirmed case has steadily declined (and younger people aren't nearly as likely to die from this disease), and that our treatment regimen has improved in the few months we've been studying this disease (CPAPS rather than ventilators, Remdesivir instead of Hydroxychloroquine).

Overall, I'd say things are looking up. The best news of all is that the major pharmaceuticals are progressing well ahead of schedule with vaccine trials, and almost all of them expect to have millions of doses ready by fall/early winter.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 18th, 2020, 1:23 pm

2004AG wrote:

While I agree with you, in the eyes of the media and the self serving politicians and administrators the number of infections means another full scale push to close down the world for the fall and winter.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » June 18th, 2020, 1:30 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/pa ... 8f6f35.png

The last 2.5 weeks of the US of A daily death rate (not cases, not tests, not hospitalizations, etc.) do show a very tiny (barely observable) "decrease" - but compared to the earlier downward trend it is statistical noise.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post:
USU78

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » June 19th, 2020, 3:26 pm

ususports wrote:

If COVID-19 helps us get rid of the Wave of the Game this will all have been a net positive for Aggie football, and indeed for society as a whole.

Locked Previous topicNext topic