Morgan Scalley Suspended for Racial Slur

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Morgan Scalley Suspended for Racial Slur

Post by aggies22 » July 1st, 2020, 3:57 pm

With a pay cut and no longer Head Coach-in-waiting.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 1st, 2020, 4:27 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 3:57 pm
So I take from this that Utah thinks he was wrong. Took away a title that sounds fake and adjusted his salary close to what a coordinator would make if you aren’t worried about him being poached? (I wonder what changed in the market). He won’t miss a game or practices.

This foot half in stuff always makes me assume the worst of both worlds. He did it, Utah doesn’t have the integrity to do anything about it.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 1st, 2020, 4:42 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 4:27 pm
aggies22 wrote:
So I take from this that Utah thinks he was wrong. Took away a title that sounds fake and adjusted his salary close to what a coordinator would make if you aren’t worried about him being poached? (I wonder what changed in the market). He won’t miss a game or practices.

This foot half in stuff always makes me assume the worst of both worlds. He did it, Utah doesn’t have the integrity to do anything about it.
I guess we'll see if it becomes detrimental enough to the Utes that it makes sense to take that next step and cut him loose. You can be guaranteed that opposing coaches will use this against Utah in recruiting battles. If it gets to the point that they lose enough of these battles or have to explain away Scalley's comments too often, they may find it easier to release him.

Eutaw St. Aggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » July 1st, 2020, 5:35 pm

Racism is a ugly thing that was and is still a problem. I'm old enough that I saw Jim Crow laws in the south, that made me sick. Even some religion's practiced racism. The treatment is better, but not near what it should be, Until we judge people by their character, and not their ethnicity, we will have trouble.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 1st, 2020, 5:48 pm

Yossarian wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 4:42 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 4:27 pm
aggies22 wrote:

I guess we'll see if it becomes detrimental enough to the Utes that it makes sense to take that next step and cut him loose. You can be guaranteed that opposing coaches will use this against Utah in recruiting battles. If it gets to the point that they lose enough of these battles or have to explain away Scalley's comments too often, they may find it easier to release him.
They can’t back track. That shows too much indecisiveness/ lack of leadership on a hot issue.

They had other options “we are disappointed in Morgan and are determined to help him grow from this. Morgan has committed to donate $500,000 of his next year’s salary to improve the lives of disadvantaged persons....”

“Morgan will step down from DC responsibilities and serve as a co-DC (or other lesser role) in order to lead a new University of Utah initiative to serve people of color by....”

Instead all Utah did is save hundreds of thousands and renegotiate the contract and take advantage of Scalley’s loss of market power.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
JSHarvey

gomretat

Post by gomretat » July 1st, 2020, 6:35 pm

I am probably the only one but I think the Utes managed this well and made the right decision. The investigation they conducted was done by an outside firm from KC and from all accounts it was very thorough and well done. There is a lot of reasonableness in what they did and where they landed.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » July 1st, 2020, 6:59 pm

gomretat wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:35 pm
I am probably the only one but I think the Utes managed this well and made the right decision. The investigation they conducted was done by an outside firm from KC and from all accounts it was very thorough and well done. There is a lot of reasonableness in what they did and where they landed.
I agree, what he did was 7 years ago. If it was that big of an issue why wasnt it dealt with then. The player actually signed with Utah. According to the report they interviwed like 30 former players who stood up for him. I certainly dont condone what was said, but its nice to see a good investigation and make a decision that was reasonable. I dont support racism but the political correctness crowd has gotten out of control in my opinion.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 1st, 2020, 8:22 pm

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 1st, 2020, 9:49 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 6:59 pm
gomretat wrote:
I agree, what he did was 7 years ago. If it was that big of an issue why wasnt it dealt with then. The player actually signed with Utah. According to the report they interviwed like 30 former players who stood up for him. I certainly dont condone what was said, but its nice to see a good investigation and make a decision that was reasonable. I dont support racism but the political correctness crowd has gotten out of control in my opinion.
It’s not about political correctness. Utah is playing to the political correctness crowd without actually doing anything but saving $475,000-ish bucks.

Utah could have done all of what was said. 7
Years ago, other players, isolated incident, he’s super sorry, etc. They didn’t. They played both sides. Work credit for doing nothing but saving money.

The other reason it’s not about political correctness: It’s an N-Bomb. It’s not like he called a flight attendant a stewardess. It’s not like he was 15. 7 years ago Scalley was well into his 30s. He wasn’t some dumb kid.

If Gary Andersen dropped N bombs he would be canned very quickly. Sitake probably doesn’t survive either. I don’t think many if any other PAC or MWC schools would put up with a white coach using that language. Maaaybe Boise. Only Utah do I think this is permitted.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
calaggieJSHarvey

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 5th, 2020, 7:00 am

Any thoughts on TCUs Patterson getting in hot water?

Players were routinely using the n-bomb, Patterson told them to stop using the word referring to the word by name (as opposed to n-bomb or n-word).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 5th, 2020, 8:08 am

gomretat wrote:
We won't know for a few years. If he has learned and grown, he should not be held accountable forever for past mistakes on a personal level. People can change and be better. However, we all know this will be used against Utah on the recruiting trail as long as he is on staff. This isn't going away on that front. Utah will be painted as the coaching staff with the DC that uses racial slurs as long as he is on staff.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 5th, 2020, 10:42 am

I"m all for completely removing every movie, TV show, and song that contains the N word.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 5th, 2020, 11:47 am

NVAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 10:42 am
I"m all for completely removing every movie, TV show, and song that contains the N word.
There is a difference between it being used in a work of fiction and someone in a position of leadership referring to a player with the word. I'm not saying he should be fired. People can learn and grow. I am saying it will absolutely be against Utah on the recruiting trail. This also could cost Morgan Scalley a head coaching job down the road whether it be Utah or somewhere else, which is probably for the best for them since Jay Hill would be a better hire.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » August 5th, 2020, 11:59 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 11:47 am
NVAggie wrote:
There is a difference between it being used in a work of fiction and someone in a position of leadership referring to a player with the word. I'm not saying he should be fired. People can learn and grow. I am saying it will absolutely be against Utah on the recruiting trail. This also could cost Morgan Scalley a head coaching job down the road whether it be Utah or somewhere else, which is probably for the best for them since Jay Hill would be a better hire.
Patterson wasn't calling anyone the N word.... He was telling one of the players (who had an issue with him) to stop using it. He doesn't have tolerance of ANYONE on the team using that word.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 5th, 2020, 12:05 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 11:59 am
NVAggie wrote:
Patterson wasn't calling anyone the N word.... He was telling one of the players (who had an issue with him) to stop using it. He doesn't have tolerance of ANYONE on the team using that word.
I'm not talking about Gary Patterson.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » August 5th, 2020, 12:23 pm

August 5th, 2020, 12:05 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
My fault, should have read closer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 5th, 2020, 12:28 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 12:23 pm
August 5th, 2020, 12:05 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
My fault, should have read closer
No worries, go aggies!

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 5th, 2020, 12:30 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
My kids used to work for The River woods when they were in high school. They helped feed many Teams that came to Logan to play The Aggies. They used to tell me all the Time how prevalent that word was among the Teams. The only Team they singled out not hearing it from was Air Force, Fresno was the worst.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 5th, 2020, 1:41 pm

If it is such an offensive word, then it shouldn't be used by anyone. I'm all for that.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 4):
SBC_packers3rdGenAggieImakeitrainTurtle

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 5th, 2020, 4:01 pm

NVAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 1:41 pm
If it is such an offensive word, then it shouldn't be used by anyone. I'm all for that.
Probably not, but there is a difference between a coach in a leadership role that is in the business of recruiting majority black athletes compared to the word being used by Samuel L Jackson in Django Unchained or in rap music.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » August 5th, 2020, 4:24 pm

For the sake of argument, no, I don't see the difference. Is it really bad if you hear it all the time in music and common talk?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » August 5th, 2020, 5:00 pm

NVAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 4:24 pm
For the sake of argument, no, I don't see the difference. Is it really bad if you hear it all the time in music and common talk?
You're not getting it mate. It's bad both times, but there is a difference between high schoolers dropping the f-bomb at the lunch table and the principle firing that same word back at them. It's just not the same.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » August 5th, 2020, 5:16 pm

NVAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 1:41 pm
Context, Context, Context. The fact that this new generation has gone so overboard that they want someone fired for spelling out the word in the context of simply telling them not to use it is idiotic beyond belief. Especially, when there is 100% complete double standard for who can say the word in a non-racist context and not be subject to the ridiculous cancel culture. I'm not defending the word but context is everything. Whether you say the word or reference it with another name may be the difference between couth and uncouth and impolite and polite (kind of like saying the f-word or c-word vs. the real word) but if its not used in a racist or derogatory context its nothing more than that.

Maybe this is Sandbox but with the problems we are dealing with right now the fact that this is even a deal, let alone a big deal is evidence of our fiddling while Rome burns and a genuinely naive and unserious society.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 5th, 2020, 6:41 pm

NVAggie wrote:
I mean this with no disrespect, but you probably should see the difference.

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » August 5th, 2020, 11:52 pm

August 5th, 2020, 6:41 pm
NVAggie wrote:
If you truly want to fight racism, don't create double standards. Black people using the N word is equally as degrading as a white person using it imho. It's like walking around asking other LDS people if they've seen any visions or gold plates lately.

AggieBlues

Post by AggieBlues » August 6th, 2020, 12:11 am

CanuckAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 11:52 pm
NVAggie wrote:
If you truly want to fight racism, don't create double standards. Black people using the N word is equally as degrading as a white person using it imho. It's like walking around asking other LDS people if they've seen any visions or gold plates lately.
:headscratch:

The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 6th, 2020, 6:20 am

CanuckAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 11:52 pm
NVAggie wrote:
Totally dude. That should have been Morgan Scalley's defense.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » August 6th, 2020, 8:35 am

NVAggie wrote:
Trust me, I understand what you are trying to say. I also like the comparison of the principal vs. the students saying it at lunch. Again, for the sake of argument, why it is so offensive? Does the word hold a meaning that is offensive? or is it that certain people don't have the privilege of saying it in the group?

If a word is offensive, which I believe this is, it shouldn't be said by anyone. I've stopped using the r-word because other people let me know it was offensive. As I thought about it, I figured it was something easy for me to change. I believe it has made me more thoughtful of others. I don't ever use the n-word. If a song or movie has it, I turn it off. I teach my kids and others around me not to use it either. I believe it hurts the argument of how offensive the word is when it is used so frequently in certain groups and situations.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 6th, 2020, 8:52 am

The use of the n-word even within the black community is highly controversial. The controversy is largely generational- but there is also a bit of a class/gender component.

Many of those who lived through Jim Crow are very against anyone using the term. The argument to the younger generation being: “if you knew how hard we worked, if you knew how hurtful that word is and what it means to us: you’d never use it”.

However the word today amongst younger black people is more common.

So a football player may use it- But their grandparents may have a different view- they may be more inclined to believe that no one should use it. That’s why i agree with Patterson for not wanting the word used on his team. Identifying the word he doesn’t want used- may or may not have Necessitate using the word

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 6th, 2020, 9:05 am

NVAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 8:35 am
NVAggie wrote:
Trust me, I understand what you are trying to say. I also like the comparison of the principal vs. the students saying it at lunch. Again, for the sake of argument, why it is so offensive? Does the word hold a meaning that is offensive? or is it that certain people don't have the privilege of saying it in the group?

If a word is offensive, which I believe this is, it shouldn't be said by anyone. I've stopped using the r-word because other people let me know it was offensive. As I thought about it, I figured it was something easy for me to change. I believe it has made me more thoughtful of others. I don't ever use the n-word. If a song or movie has it, I turn it off. I teach my kids and others around me not to use it either. I believe it hurts the argument of how offensive the word is when it is used so frequently in certain groups and situations.
I too would prefer it wasn't said by anyone except in an educational context. However, people in position of leadership are going to be judged far differently than it being said in a rap album or friends using it in private conversation.

If a USU assistant coach did what Scalley did, I can tell you Andersen or Craig Smith would've come out strongly against that assistant, possibly fired him or at minimum supported the same type of punishment Scalley got.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 6th, 2020, 12:47 pm

August 6th, 2020, 9:05 am
NVAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 8:35 am
NVAggie wrote:

I too would prefer it wasn't said by anyone except in an educational context. However, people in position of leadership are going to be judged far differently than it being said in a rap album or friends using it in private conversation.

If a USU assistant coach did what Scalley did, I can tell you Andersen or Craig Smith would've come out strongly against that assistant, possibly fired him or at minimum supported the same type of punishment Scalley got.
No one is for what Scalley said.

Locked Previous topicNext topic