Brent Guy: Wow!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Brent Guy: Wow!

Post by USU78 » May 26th, 2020, 7:38 am

These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 12):
YossarianQuackAttackAggieHomeTownSLBusufan1Machismoaggies22WillCut72FloridaAggie13aggieguy13 and 2 more users

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Re: Brent Guy: Wow!

Post by AggiesForever » May 26th, 2020, 7:43 am

That is a tremendous read and, unfortunately, too many people suffer in silence like Brent has. Its great to hear he has received help, its also great to hear that he has left this profession on his own terms.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 7):
USU78YossarianMachismoaggies22bluegrouseFloridaAggie13aggieguy13

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 26th, 2020, 9:24 am

Thanks for posting this. You never really know what demons another person is facing. Be nice to each other, people.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 11):
USU78thegreendalegelfBLUERUFiOAgsmanAggieArmysstrasseraggies22FloridaAggie13918AGGaggieguy13 and one more user

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 26th, 2020, 9:30 am

Yossarian wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 9:24 am
Thanks for posting this. You never really know what demons another person is facing. Be nice to each other, people.
Amen brother. This world is short on understanding and kindness and quick to judge. I know I could improve in those areas.

And yes thank you 78 for sharing. Great to see Brent has received help and knows the signs to help him in managing it. Way too many people suffer and never receive the help that could really benefit there lives. Also his wife sounds like an awesome person. I admire the spouses who fight the battle with that person.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 7):
USU78Aggie19AgsmanAggieArmysstrasseraggies22aggieguy13

USU78

Post by USU78 » May 26th, 2020, 9:46 am

slcagg wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 9:30 am
Yossarian wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 9:24 am
Amen brother. This world is short on understanding and kindness and quick to judge. I know I could improve in those areas.

And yes thank you 78 for sharing. Great to see Brent has received help and knows the signs to help him in managing it. Way too many people suffer and never receive the help that could really benefit there lives. Also his wife sounds like an awesome person.
Lost a nephew to this beast a few years ago, who left behind a wife and two kids. His father, my brother, worried about him, rushed to his apartment and was the one who found him. His sister, my niece, was the 911 operator who handled the call.

The meds for managing it are almost as miserable to the sufferer as to go without, which is why so many go "off their meds."
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 5):
OKAggieslcaggAggie19aggies22calaggie

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » May 26th, 2020, 11:17 am

Speechless. What a hellish nightmare to have to endure. God bless Brent and his amazing wife. Wow.

Heisenberg
Has thanked: 0

Post by Heisenberg » May 26th, 2020, 11:28 am

As Yossarian said, you just never know the demons other people are battling in silence. I think of all the criticism he endured during his tenure (I am sure he is first to acknowledge that the criticism and spotlight comes with the job), and then to add this on top of that. I couldn't imagine living through that.
These users thanked the author Heisenberg for the post:
NVAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 26th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Great, now I feel awful for posting all those pics on the forums back then with his blank stare after horrid losses with what I thought were clever captions.

Looking back, it's no wonder that we struggled as a program. There had been next to zero support from the school for decades, we found ourselves being tossed around from conference to conference (or conference-less), and this poor Guy was dealing with all this while being at the helm of one of the worst (if not worst) FBS programs in the country. Recipe = Disaster.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
BustaMcNuttAggieFBObsessionNVAggie

SLB

Post by SLB » May 26th, 2020, 12:30 pm

It is weird when when one's brain is not working right. I remember when I was in my early stages in recovering from my seizure, and I would have very surreal dreams and couldn't tell if I was asleep or awake after I was awake for 30 minutes. Depression is no joke either.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 26th, 2020, 1:19 pm

I'm pretty sure most you guys are figments of my imagination. Except Newhouse. I know he's real, I've met him.
But the rest of you guys are just in my head.

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » May 26th, 2020, 1:24 pm

This is why I am patient with President Trump after he tweets or retweets vile things about women or conspiracy theories about his political opponents because none of us really know what it's like to be a paper billionaire while simultaneously suffering from narcissism, low self esteem, or having a brain so powerful that we are playing 4-D chess in a 1-D world.
These users thanked the author sockpuppet for the post (total 5):
Sl7vkAggie formerly in HawaiiJSHarveyQuackAttackAggiecalaggie

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » May 26th, 2020, 3:19 pm

sockpuppet wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 1:24 pm
This is why I am patient with President Trump after he tweets or retweets vile things about women or conspiracy theories about his political opponents because none of us really know what it's like to be a paper billionaire while simultaneously suffering from narcissism, low self esteem, or having a brain so powerful that we are playing 4-D chess in a 1-D world.
Not for here.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
NVAggie

Nobody here knows anything.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 26th, 2020, 4:11 pm

Tough deal. You never know the struggles people are going through when you pass them on the street.

AggieFreak

Post by AggieFreak » May 26th, 2020, 4:19 pm

I have two dear friends, a mother and her daughter, that suffer from bi-polar disorder. It is something they have to battle with every day. It is not like regular depression. It is a constant struggle to find medications that work. After a while they become desensitized to one particular medication and have to transition. It takes weeks for a new medication to get into the system before you even know if it is effective. They are kind, hard working and amazing women who, from the outside, look like they have everything together. Very few know how hard that it takes an incredible effort for them just to get out of bed in the mornings. We never know what the person next to us might be going through.
These users thanked the author AggieFreak for the post (total 2):
USU78SLB

SLB

Post by SLB » May 26th, 2020, 4:22 pm

AggieFreak wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 4:19 pm
I have two dear friends, a mother and her daughter, that suffer from bi-polar disorder. It is something they have to battle with every day. It is not like regular depression. It is a constant struggle to find medications that work. After a while they become desensitized to one particular medication and have to transition. It takes weeks for a new medication to get into the system before you even know if it is effective. They are kind, hard working and amazing women who, from the outside, look like they have everything together. Very few know how hard that it takes an incredible effort for them just to get out of bed in the mornings. We never know what the person next to us might be going through.
I have a friend that was struggling with such things too less than a year ago.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
USU78

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 26th, 2020, 9:08 pm

I feel for the guy and his family. What a terrible thing to have to live through.

I get the sense from the article that he went his whole career without disclosing this, and it is a little concerning to me if he didn’t disclose the condition to any of his employers. I can’t judge him though.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » May 26th, 2020, 10:02 pm

Super sad and I also feel for him.
Very courageous coming out now.

I’ll just say what everyone is thinking though.

4 years of Brent Guy left me nothing but depressive. There was absolutely no manic.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » May 26th, 2020, 10:04 pm

I'm pretty sure you don't have to disclose any illness to an employer. I may be wrong.

Bi-polar is tough. It is tough to live with someone who has it. Lithium is amazing in terms of mood stabilization, but it attacks memory which becomes tough.
These users thanked the author Stucki for the post:
NVAggie

Hail the Utah Aggies!

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » May 26th, 2020, 10:21 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 9:08 pm
I feel for the guy and his family. What a terrible thing to have to live through.

I get the sense from the article that he went his whole career without disclosing this, and it is a little concerning to me if he didn’t disclose the condition to any of his employers. I can’t judge him though.
I was not a fan of his coaching and I'm going to say that this must be the reason for the attack punt.

Not disclosing the condition is something only he can make the call on and no one can fault him for that either way. I seriously doubt any of us on this board are bi-polar (at least when there isn't a game on) and until you have lived something like that we simply can't comprehend or know for certain how we would react. I would also venture a guess that professionally if his condition had been known he would have had very few (read 0) offers to coach. No team would have taken the chance.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » May 26th, 2020, 10:38 pm

pilotaggie wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 10:21 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

I was not a fan of his coaching and I'm going to say that this must be the reason for the attack punt.

Not disclosing the condition is something only he can make the call on and no one can fault him for that either way. I seriously doubt any of us on this board are bi-polar (at least when there isn't a game on) and until you have lived something like that we simply can't comprehend or know for certain how we would react. I would also venture a guess that professionally if his condition had been known he would have had very few (read 0) offers to coach. No team would have taken the chance.
I'm consistently amazed at the lack of tact people can display on this board.

I seriously doubt any of us on this board are bi-polar
If you read the article, you'd see that it isn't really that uncommon. Apparently 4.7% of men between 18 and 29 have it. So I seriously doubt that nobody on this board has it.

To put that number in perspective, if you took 14 random men between 18 and 29 (or 23 men and women of any age), there would be a 50% chance that at least one person has it. If you took a group of 100 men in that age range, there would be a 99.2% chance that at least one person has it. So the odds are pretty strong that a regular on this board diagnosed with bipolar disorder will read your comment.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » May 26th, 2020, 11:37 pm

As someone who has experience in depression and anxiety, I can't like this enough. I think we as a community do not spend enough time or resources on this matter. It is incredibly hard to admit it to yourself much less others. Hard to understand. And impossible to describe to someone.
I appreciate stuff like this, Jalen Moore , and even Tanner Magnum talking about their struggles.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 4):
QuackAttackAggieUSU78Agliciousaggieguy13

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » May 27th, 2020, 2:18 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 10:38 pm
pilotaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

If you read the article, you'd see that it isn't really that uncommon. Apparently 4.7% of men between 18 and 29 have it. So I seriously doubt that nobody on this board has it.

To put that number in perspective, if you took 14 random men between 18 and 29 (or 23 men and women of any age), there would be a 50% chance that at least one person has it. If you took a group of 100 men in that age range, there would be a 99.2% chance that at least one person has it. So the odds are pretty strong that a regular on this board diagnosed with bipolar disorder will read your comment.
Alright Quack for you and everyone I have added a signature so that I can attempt to not offend anyone in the future with my lame sarcasm that isn't always tactful.

HONESTY ALERT AHEAD!

Clearly I didn't bother with the statistics but if you read that entire paragraph I have no problem with Guy and his decisions about not revealing his condition. For anyone else on this or any other board to claim to know what they would do in his situation is pure ignorance. You are right someone on here statistically has bi-polar disorder I hope they are able to seek and get the treatment the need.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » May 27th, 2020, 4:32 am

The attack punt was Arslanian, not Guy.

I feel bad for him and hope he is doing better now that he is not hiding this condition. I also hope his story can help spread awareness for bi-polar disease. Above all, I do wish him and his family the best. Remember, even though he was not successful as a head coach, he is still part of the Aggie family. Also don't forget that he was part of the coaching staff for the 1993 Big West and Las Vegas Bowl championship team.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 2):
OKAggieAggieFBObsession

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » May 27th, 2020, 7:27 am

There were a lot of factors playing into his ability to succeed at USU and we just learned of another one with him disclosing being bi-polar. IIRC Guy was good at identifying players with talent but as a head coach did not do a great job of developing it further. The general lack of university and community support for the program for decades certainly hindered the resources available to help develop the players to become what they could and it was not until there was greater emphasis placed on football that things really started to change. He seems to have done better in a coordinator role.

It is amazing that in spite of his illness he was able to accomplish what he has in life. Few are able to successfully handle the responsibilities and lifestyle of being a college football coach but yet was able to do it with a serious illness. And don't forget his wife and all that she had to deal with through this. I have greater respect for both of them after learning of this.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post (total 2):
USU78OKAggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » May 27th, 2020, 11:52 am

pilotaggie wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 2:18 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 10:38 pm
pilotaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Alright Quack for you and everyone I have added a signature so that I can attempt to not offend anyone in the future with my lame sarcasm that isn't always tactful.

HONESTY ALERT AHEAD!

Clearly I didn't bother with the statistics but if you read that entire paragraph I have no problem with Guy and his decisions about not revealing his condition. For anyone else on this or any other board to claim to know what they would do in his situation is pure ignorance. You are right someone on here statistically has bi-polar disorder I hope they are able to seek and get the treatment the need.
perhaps it is because of some of the truly tactless posts I've seen that I just assumed your sarcastic post was not a joke.

KissMyAg

Post by KissMyAg » May 28th, 2020, 12:17 am

I remember Guy for these reasons:

1. He almost got the Boise State head gig and lost out, at the last minute, to Hawkins.
2. His D was great at ASU and we played against him with Cooley and company in Tempe (their fans are douche rockets.
3. He use to always say - my wife needs to hide the knifes in the house after a loss.
4. He recruited Turbin and maybe Wagner?
5. He loved working for Spetman.
6. He only had the NEZ for a few months before he was let go.
7. Be inherited a cluster from Dennehy (mainly because of no facilities and lack of a conference).
8. He had some success as a DC after USU.
9. The “Aggies” on the back of the jerseys was a terrible idea.
10. I ran into Kevin Robinson’s old roommate, a few years ago, and he believes Kevin could have made it to the NFL if he had better coaching.

He has influenced more lives than most, if not all, than us... That’s most important.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » May 28th, 2020, 7:21 am

KissMyAg wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 12:17 am
I remember Guy for these reasons:

1. He almost got the Boise State head gig and lost out, at the last minute, to Hawkins.
2. His D was great at ASU and we played against him with Cooley and company in Tempe (their fans are douche rockets.
3. He use to always say - my wife needs to hide the knifes in the house after a loss.
4. He recruited Turbin and maybe Wagner?
5. He loved working for Spetman.
6. He only had the NEZ for a few months before he was let go.
7. Be inherited a cluster from Dennehy (mainly because of no facilities and lack of a conference).
8. He had some success as a DC after USU.
9. The “Aggies” on the back of the jerseys was a terrible idea.
10. I ran into Kevin Robinson’s old roommate, a few years ago, and he believes Kevin could have made it to the NFL if he had better coaching.

He has influenced more lives than most, if not all, than us... That’s most important.
One other game he had while at ASU, which got me excited about us hiring him hoping it was a sign of what we would see here, was them shutting out Iowa. I also will never forget that we hired him, the local fox station for some reason decided to show highlights of his ASU defense giving up big plays to USC to go along with talking about the hire on the news, rather than good plays his ASU defense made.

Him recruiting Wagner is not maybe, he DID recruit him. But others will try arguing that he deserves credit for that and get shot down.

Maybe not so much him, but some of his assistants would come and help do the dirty work on the North Endzone, only to be let go after that season. One assistant coach while we were working on the auditorium was saying that he could do some work like this if football didn't work out.

Kevin Robinson DID make it "to" the NFL, he lasted for one season.

joeaggie

Post by joeaggie » May 28th, 2020, 9:14 am

Sockpuppet. Leave your BS at the door.no need for it here..

USU78

Post by USU78 » May 28th, 2020, 9:23 am

brownjeans wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 1:19 pm
But the rest of you guys are just in my head.
Hah! Knew it!
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
brownjeans

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic