Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB
Posts: 2795
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 330 times

Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by SLB » April 28th, 2020, 10:50 am

P5
2020- Washington and Washington State
2021- Washington State
2022- Alabama
2023-Iowa
2027- Oregon
2028 - Oregon
2029- Oregon
Home P5 games
2020 Washington State and 2028 Oregon
G5 opponents
BYU in 2020-2022 seasons (2 road and 1 home)
UConn 2022-2023 seasons (1 home and 1 road)
New Mexico State 2022 (Road)
FCS (all home games)
2020 SUU
2021 North Dakota
2022 Weber State
2023 Idaho State
TBD non-conference games in the 2020s
1 - 2023
3- 2027-2029
4- 2024-2026
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
aggies22



SLB
Posts: 2795
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 330 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by SLB » April 28th, 2020, 11:20 am




User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 8969
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 451 times
Been thanked: 299 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by ViAggie » April 28th, 2020, 12:00 pm

2020- Washington and Washington State - POSTPONED
2021- Washington State
2022- Alabama
2023-Iowa
2027- Oregon
2028 - Oregon
2029- Oregon
Home P5 games
2020 Washington State and 2028 Oregon
G5 opponents
BYU in 2020-2022 seasons (2 road and 1 home)
UConn 2022-2023 seasons (1 home and 1 road)
New Mexico State 2022 (Road)
FCS (all home games)
2020 SUU
2021 North Dakota
2022 Weber State
2023 Idaho State
TBD non-conference games in the 2020s
1 - 2023
3- 2027-2029
4- 2024-2026

FIFY :(


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie84025
Posts: 1835
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 525 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by Aggie84025 » April 28th, 2020, 12:29 pm

SLB wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 11:20 am
Why would Utah play us. They are too busy going to Laramie this year. I know that was a destination that their fan base wanted to go to.



ususports
Posts: 1418
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by ususports » April 28th, 2020, 12:41 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Why would Utah play us. They are too busy going to Laramie this year. I know that was a destination that their fan base wanted to go to.
It is a hidden gem and a recruiting hotbed.



User avatar
ThunderAggie
Posts: 1263
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has thanked: 327 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by ThunderAggie » April 28th, 2020, 1:08 pm

SLB wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 10:50 am
2022- Alabama
WE WANT BAMA!!! :rock:



dogie
Posts: 3068
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 7:56 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by dogie » April 28th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Just as a technical point, BYU, UConn and NMSU are neither P5 nor G5, but are FBS independents, and it is generally an inferior classification because they don’t get the benefits from inclusion in either of those groups.

BYU and UConn joined those ranks voluntarily and NMSU is there because they really had no choice.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post:
cdaAg



SLB
Posts: 2795
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 330 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by SLB » April 28th, 2020, 5:19 pm

dogie wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 5:10 pm
Just as a technical point, BYU, UConn and NMSU are neither P5 nor G5, but are FBS independents, and it is generally an inferior classification because they don’t get the benefits from inclusion in either of those groups.

BYU and UConn joined those ranks voluntarily and NMSU is there because they really had no choice.
FBS independents that are G5 tier level of opponent.



dogie
Posts: 3068
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 7:56 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by dogie » April 28th, 2020, 9:36 pm

SLB wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 5:19 pm
dogie wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 5:10 pm
Just as a technical point, BYU, UConn and NMSU are neither P5 nor G5, but are FBS independents, and it is generally an inferior classification because they don’t get the benefits from inclusion in either of those groups.

BYU and UConn joined those ranks voluntarily and NMSU is there because they really had no choice.
FBS independents that are G5 tier level of opponent.
True. I just never like to pass up an opportunity to point out that BYU isn’t G5, let alone P5.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9525
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4627 times
Been thanked: 2804 times
Contact:

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by aggies22 » April 28th, 2020, 11:08 pm

I won't be surprised to see another 2-for-1 pop up during 2024-2026.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
SLB



SLB
Posts: 2795
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 330 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by SLB » April 28th, 2020, 11:18 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 11:08 pm
I won't be surprised to see another 2-for-1 pop up during 2024-2026.
I 2nd this.
Possible P5 opponents for this USC and ND
USC would make the most sense since it would complete their schedule, and we have played USC in the past.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 2):
aggies22sneed



Chatman
Posts: 1130
Joined: November 30th, 2010, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by Chatman » April 29th, 2020, 12:06 am

SLB wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 11:18 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 11:08 pm
I won't be surprised to see another 2-for-1 pop up during 2024-2026.
I 2nd this.
Possible P5 opponents for this USC and ND
USC would make the most sense since it would complete their schedule, and we have played USC in the past.
I had the same thought about a 2-for-1 being worked on for this 3 year gap, but I can’t imagine USC coming to Logan. Maybe a Cal or Oregon State but not USC.



slcagg
Posts: 4500
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 554 times
Been thanked: 574 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by slcagg » April 29th, 2020, 5:09 am

Chatman wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 12:06 am
SLB wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 11:18 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 11:08 pm
I won't be surprised to see another 2-for-1 pop up during 2024-2026.
I 2nd this.
Possible P5 opponents for this USC and ND
USC would make the most sense since it would complete their schedule, and we have played USC in the past.
I had the same thought about a 2-for-1 being worked on for this 3 year gap, but I can’t imagine USC coming to Logan. Maybe a Cal or Oregon State but not USC.
I feel like a lower quality p5 like Oregon state or even cal could be scheduled on a 1-1 basis. Look at us with Washington state. Or look at Utah with Wyoming or sjsu or northern Illinois (the list for them goes on). It seems overall the pac 12 teams don’t have near the money (makes sense as the Conference is struggling a bit) of a big 10 or sec team and so they cannot afford to do as money games with solid g5 schools. Washington, usc and Oregon are the exceptions in that conference. But you see even Oregon doing some 1-1 (Wyoming is an example).
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
sstrasser



Full
Posts: 1777
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 11:07 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by Full » April 29th, 2020, 10:15 am

slcagg wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 5:09 am
I feel like a lower quality p5 like Oregon state or even cal could be scheduled on a 1-1 basis. Look at us with Washington state. Or look at Utah with Wyoming or sjsu or northern Illinois (the list for them goes on). It seems overall the pac 12 teams don’t have near the money (makes sense as the Conference is struggling a bit) of a big 10 or sec team and so they cannot afford to do as money games with solid g5 schools. Washington, usc and Oregon are the exceptions in that conference. But you see even Oregon doing some 1-1 (Wyoming is an example).
The PAC-12 attendance has dropped so far that they overtook ACC for the bottom of all P5 conferences. I suspect donations also decrease with attendance, but I’m not going to hunt that down. Exclusion from the “College Football Playoff” has had a negative impact on recruiting, as well as the drop in participation of football in California. The ACC is a basketball conference passing the PAC-12 in football. I would love to see PAC-12 schools playing in Logan. It seems like the PAC-12 will be closer to G5 programs on average than teams from the other P5 conferences.



Aggie19
Posts: 632
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 423 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by Aggie19 » April 29th, 2020, 11:15 am

Full wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 10:15 am
slcagg wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 5:09 am
I feel like a lower quality p5 like Oregon state or even cal could be scheduled on a 1-1 basis. Look at us with Washington state. Or look at Utah with Wyoming or sjsu or northern Illinois (the list for them goes on). It seems overall the pac 12 teams don’t have near the money (makes sense as the Conference is struggling a bit) of a big 10 or sec team and so they cannot afford to do as money games with solid g5 schools. Washington, usc and Oregon are the exceptions in that conference. But you see even Oregon doing some 1-1 (Wyoming is an example).
The PAC-12 attendance has dropped so far that they overtook ACC for the bottom of all P5 conferences. I suspect donations also decrease with attendance, but I’m not going to hunt that down. Exclusion from the “College Football Playoff” has had a negative impact on recruiting, as well as the drop in participation of football in California. The ACC is a basketball conference passing the PAC-12 in football. I would love to see PAC-12 schools playing in Logan. It seems like the PAC-12 will be closer to G5 programs on average than teams from the other P5 conferences.
While I agree, they are the bottom of the P5 right now, I'm not sure how much it has affected recruiting so far. For the 2020 class, the have 8 schools in the top 40 on 247. If they continue to struggle and don't get into the playoffs, we'll see. I think all those things you mention will have an effect if they aren't changed.


Go Aggies!

User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 5234
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Non-conference opponents in the 2020s so far

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 30th, 2020, 9:53 am

slcagg wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 5:09 am
Chatman wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 12:06 am
SLB wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 11:18 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 11:08 pm
I won't be surprised to see another 2-for-1 pop up during 2024-2026.
I 2nd this.
Possible P5 opponents for this USC and ND
USC would make the most sense since it would complete their schedule, and we have played USC in the past.
I had the same thought about a 2-for-1 being worked on for this 3 year gap, but I can’t imagine USC coming to Logan. Maybe a Cal or Oregon State but not USC.
I feel like a lower quality p5 like Oregon state or even cal could be scheduled on a 1-1 basis. Look at us with Washington state. Or look at Utah with Wyoming or sjsu or northern Illinois (the list for them goes on). It seems overall the pac 12 teams don’t have near the money (makes sense as the Conference is struggling a bit) of a big 10 or sec team and so they cannot afford to do as money games with solid g5 schools. Washington, usc and Oregon are the exceptions in that conference. But you see even Oregon doing some 1-1 (Wyoming is an example).
Given how our Oregon series is set up, it's basically a 1-1, then a money game.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic