Oregon 3 game series

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
sneed

Re: Oregon 3 game series

Post by sneed » April 29th, 2020, 8:52 pm

LKGates wrote:I think this is a good set up; home and home and a money game. About as good a deal as your ever going to get with an upper tier P5.

As for Utah, be patient, grasshopper. We need to focus on ourselves. Let me paint you a picture. The U continues to beat BYU. Six years from now, the series over the last 15 years is 15-0 for Utah. Meanwhile, the Aggies continue to edge past BYU. Over the previous 6 years, USU has gone 5-1 over BYU. At the same time, Utah State has won two MWC championships. We're now in 2026, and Utah State is favored for the MWC championship, and Utah is favored for the PAC-12 south championship. At this point, the fans, the local media, and yes, even the state legislature are itching for a head to head to resolve the issue.

Rosy scenario? Absolutely. Probably won't happen. But it is the only way to make the series resume. At that point, Utah drops BYU from their schedule, and the Battle of the Brothers resumes. BYU starts a new "Holy War" with Liberty.
It will take just the opposite to play Utah. Fall to a San Jose level and the will magically have room on the schedule for us.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 30th, 2020, 5:33 am

LKGates wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 8:44 pm
Rosy scenario? Absolutely. Probably won't happen. But it is the only way to make the series resume. At that point, Utah drops BYU from their schedule, and the Battle of the Brothers resumes. BYU starts a new "Holy War" with Liberty.
You're right it's too rosy. It's too rosy in the fact that the Utes will never replace BYU with USU.

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 30th, 2020, 9:06 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 9:40 pm
Guaranteed Oregon backs out pays the fee for our home game in this scenario just as Utah did with our home game sometime back

RemindMe! 8 years
Yeah I really hope that we got something in the contract that says that Oregon has to pay a steep buyout if they back out of the game in Logan. Otherwise I am virtually certain that they have no intention of coming to Logan. They will just cancel the last two games in the series and get a free home game out of the deal.

sneed

Post by sneed » April 30th, 2020, 8:56 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
Guaranteed Oregon backs out pays the fee for our home game in this scenario just as Utah did with our home game sometime back

RemindMe! 8 years
Yeah I really hope that we got something in the contract that says that Oregon has to pay a steep buyout if they back out of the game in Logan. Otherwise I am virtually certain that they have no intention of coming to Logan. They will just cancel the last two games in the series and get a free home game out of the deal.
They went to Boise 11 years ago and lost. I think Wyoming is the only road game they have done since that isn’t P5. I don’t follow closely enough to know if Fresno St, San Jose st, Georgia St etc games were money games or if they backed out. Have they backed out of a bunch of series?

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » May 1st, 2020, 2:25 am

sneed wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 8:56 pm
StanfordAggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

RemindMe! 8 years
They went to Boise 11 years ago and lost. I think Wyoming is the only road game they have done since that isn’t P5. I don’t follow closely enough to know if Fresno St, San Jose st, Georgia St etc games were money games or if they backed out. Have they backed out of a bunch of series?
I don't know about Oregon specifically, but many P5 teams have pulled this type of shenanigan where they insist on playing at home first and then cancel the return game. It's very hard to win damages in court for this type of thing; you'll cover your attorney fees if you are lucky. (Even if there is a buyout specified in the contract, courts will often refuse to enforce it.) Remember when Notre Dame agreed to a 2-for-1 with BYU? BYU played them twice in South Bend but they reneged on the return game to Provo. I'm very worried that Oregon is trying to pull the same stunt with USU.

I'm slightly reassured by the fact that the game in Logan is one year after the game in Eugene. Given that schedules are typically set years in advance, they would have to scramble to remove us from the schedule after the away game. But they could very easily agree to play in one of those week 0 national TV games against an SEC opponent and try to say, "We're so sorry, but the opportunity to play Florida on national TV was too good to pass up. We'll be sure to give you the game we owe you as soon as we can."

But who knows? I also just remembered that Oregon is playing North Dakota State next year. They are clearly willing to play challenging preseason games where they won't get any credit for winning. That may be one of the best preseason games of the year next year. My guess is that Oregon will only be a very thin favorite, which is crazy for a traditional P5 power playing at home against an FCS school.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » May 1st, 2020, 9:03 am

usu99 wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 1:17 pm
I don't like this, sorry. The setup is great, but we need to be playing mid level P5 not top of the conference.
Top of PAC12 is equal to mid-to-lower teams in any other "Power" conference.

Locked Previous topicNext topic