When will we know if there will be a season?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
LKGates
Posts: 3300
Joined: December 13th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 238 times
Contact:

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by LKGates » April 29th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 4:04 pm
bpd wrote:Here is the thing about most anti-body tests. They suck and are unreliable. So while everybody and their brotther are making them, 85% of them don't work.
I’d like to see some data on that. I work for a company that makes tests that are searching for specific antibodies, mainly for cancer detection. We don’t make COVID kits, but an 85% false positive test is unheard of. How would a test find an antibody that does not exist in the host? If you have some information I would like to read about how these are failing at that rate.
I'm with Chupamedia on this. First, define "unreliable". Second, show me the data.
When you say a test is unreliable, are you talking about sensitivity or specificity? Sensitivity is the ability of a test to detect the disease if it is present; roughly, a low false negative rate. Specificity is roughly a low false positive rate. There tends to be a yin and yang between sensitivity and specificity; more specific tests tend to be less sensitive, and vice versa. Each has their place in laboratory diagnostics. Most commercially available antibody tests are very good, with both sensitivity and specificity running well above 90%. So which are you talking about?
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
Chupamedia


Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

bpd
Posts: 1075
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by bpd » April 29th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 4:04 pm
bpd wrote:Here is the thing about most anti-body tests. They suck and are unreliable. So while everybody and their brotther are making them, 85% of them don't work.
I’d like to see some data on that. I work for a company that makes tests that are searching for specific antibodies, mainly for cancer detection. We don’t make COVID kits, but an 85% false positive test is unheard of. How would a test find an antibody that does not exist in the host? If you have some information I would like to read about how these are failing at that rate.
It was reported yesterday (don't remember where I saw it) that Quest had the actual first best test that was now available this week. That most of the the other tests were unreliable. My wife works for a healthcare company based in Arizona (we live in Colorado) and they had a conference call about the test 2 weeks ago. The person in charge said there were so many unreliable tests because most tests are designed to test for a coronavirus, not Covid 19. Well most people have had a coronavirus over the last 6 months via a cold or flu...etc... That fouled a lot of things up.

Look, are we going to get better anti-body tests and more of them, I hope so and would imagine so over the next couple of months. Do a lot more people have or had it then what is being tested? Of course. Instead of .7% of the country having it, most areas probably have 6-10%, while NYC has around 20%. I am hopeful of a vaccine by Jan/Feb and have read some encouraging information the last couple days about that. That is why I think basketball season should move to the winter.



ususports
Posts: 1418
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by ususports » April 30th, 2020, 12:18 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 3:52 pm
Ok, I'll play. That may all very well be true. Anti-body test may be terribly innacurate. But there's something to be said about the fecal matter tests that indicate the same regarding a much higher infected rate, and the controled studies performed by Stanford, the NBA, or Cruise ships on all people (not just those showing symptoms) that confirms a much higher infected rate. Also sheer numbers we have of a state with 3M people and only about 4k confirmed cases.
Which is a more important cause, donating my feces to further the work for Covid-19 testing or donating it to hipster to send a care package to Duryea? I already offered in the basketball thread to add to the pile for Duryea, but as luck would have it, I just checked my private messages and hipster didn’t take me up on it, so I am more than happy to take a dump to help save lives (or more importantly—to help us have a college football and basketball season). Just let me know where to send it.



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3356
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by ratofallaggies » April 30th, 2020, 7:45 am

ususports wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 12:18 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 3:52 pm
Ok, I'll play. That may all very well be true. Anti-body test may be terribly innacurate. But there's something to be said about the fecal matter tests that indicate the same regarding a much higher infected rate, and the controled studies performed by Stanford, the NBA, or Cruise ships on all people (not just those showing symptoms) that confirms a much higher infected rate. Also sheer numbers we have of a state with 3M people and only about 4k confirmed cases.
Which is a more important cause, donating my feces to further the work for Covid-19 testing or donating it to hipster to send a care package to Duryea? I already offered in the basketball thread to add to the pile for Duryea, but as luck would have it, I just checked my private messages and hipster didn’t take me up on it, so I am more than happy to take a dump to help save lives (or more importantly—to help us have a college football and basketball season). Just let me know where to send it.
The great thing is that you don't have to even send it. They're doing the work to find it themselves. Could you imagine performing that research?!?!



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3356
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by ratofallaggies » April 30th, 2020, 7:49 am

bpd wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 8:42 pm
Chupamedia wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 4:04 pm
bpd wrote:Here is the thing about most anti-body tests. They suck and are unreliable. So while everybody and their brotther are making them, 85% of them don't work.
I’d like to see some data on that. I work for a company that makes tests that are searching for specific antibodies, mainly for cancer detection. We don’t make COVID kits, but an 85% false positive test is unheard of. How would a test find an antibody that does not exist in the host? If you have some information I would like to read about how these are failing at that rate.
It was reported yesterday (don't remember where I saw it) that Quest had the actual first best test that was now available this week. That most of the the other tests were unreliable. My wife works for a healthcare company based in Arizona (we live in Colorado) and they had a conference call about the test 2 weeks ago. The person in charge said there were so many unreliable tests because most tests are designed to test for a coronavirus, not Covid 19. Well most people have had a coronavirus over the last 6 months via a cold or flu...etc... That fouled a lot of things up.

Look, are we going to get better anti-body tests and more of them, I hope so and would imagine so over the next couple of months. Do a lot more people have or had it then what is being tested? Of course. Instead of .7% of the country having it, most areas probably have 6-10%, while NYC has around 20%. I am hopeful of a vaccine by Jan/Feb and have read some encouraging information the last couple days about that. That is why I think basketball season should move to the winter.
Not sure I could care less about a vaccine. This has nothing to do with deaths....



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15875
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 422 times
Been thanked: 1047 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 30th, 2020, 8:59 am

ususports wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 12:18 am
ratofallaggies wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 3:52 pm
Ok, I'll play. That may all very well be true. Anti-body test may be terribly innacurate. But there's something to be said about the fecal matter tests that indicate the same regarding a much higher infected rate, and the controled studies performed by Stanford, the NBA, or Cruise ships on all people (not just those showing symptoms) that confirms a much higher infected rate. Also sheer numbers we have of a state with 3M people and only about 4k confirmed cases.
Which is a more important cause, donating my feces to further the work for Covid-19 testing or donating it to hipster to send a care package to Duryea? I already offered in the basketball thread to add to the pile for Duryea, but as luck would have it, I just checked my private messages and hipster didn’t take me up on it, so I am more than happy to take a dump to help save lives (or more importantly—to help us have a college football and basketball season). Just let me know where to send it.
Sorry, I didn't consider the exchange of fecal matter amongst two consenting adults a private issue.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
USU78



User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 876
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by El Sapo » April 30th, 2020, 1:37 pm

I'm worried that it's still too early to be taking down the restrictions. Glad we are just easing out of restrictions a little at a time here in the CA Bay Area. My County shelter in place has been extended to May 30, but the golf courses can open next week, so there are carefully measured actions being taken.

Right now the mindset I see ( I've had it myself) is that cova's not that bad, cmon, open up already, what's the big deal? Then I started thinking of some similar health situations I've encountered. People who rely on medications to avoid serious illness (especially mental)? After a period of time they wonder why they are taking the medication because they don't have any of the old symptoms and the meds they take usually have serious undesirable side effects. Like shelter in place has helped lower the curve, but has a negative effect on our economy..

So here we are socially distancing, staying at home and we're doing pretty good. Like a patient who is taking medication and is successfully avoiding illness. Some places are in great shape, others seem to be improving.

So are we ready to stop taking the meds? The illness is still there just waiting for an opportunity. That choice doesn't seem logical to me at this point


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6160
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 319 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by 2004AG » April 30th, 2020, 3:00 pm

El Sapo wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 1:37 pm
I'm worried that it's still too early to be taking down the restrictions. Glad we are just easing out of restrictions a little at a time here in the CA Bay Area. My County shelter in place has been extended to May 30, but the golf courses can open next week, so there are carefully measured actions being taken.

Right now the mindset I see ( I've had it myself) is that cova's not that bad, cmon, open up already, what's the big deal? Then I started thinking of some similar health situations I've encountered. People who rely on medications to avoid serious illness (especially mental)? After a period of time they wonder why they are taking the medication because they don't have any of the old symptoms and the meds they take usually have serious undesirable side effects. Like shelter in place has helped lower the curve, but has a negative effect on our economy..

So here we are socially distancing, staying at home and we're doing pretty good. Like a patient who is taking medication and is successfully avoiding illness. Some places are in great shape, others seem to be improving.

So are we ready to stop taking the meds? The illness is still there just waiting for an opportunity. That choice doesn't seem logical to me at this point
Unless you're willing to shut it all down for the next 12-18 months and bankrupt the country to the point we end up a third world country, opening up May 1 or November 1, the health implications are the same.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
hipsterdoofus21



FormerlyVegasAggie71
Posts: 219
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 10:05 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » April 30th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Utah is faring better and opening up more quickly than other states, and was never as restrictive as most. The fascinating question will be if some schools/conferences are open for business/football and others aren't. Do you re-schedule with teams that will play? I could see Utah giving the green light to open up universities, thus allowing sports to play, while a state like CA may be more stubborn to do so.
Last edited by FormerlyVegasAggie71 on April 30th, 2020, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 8995
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 452 times
Been thanked: 305 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by ViAggie » April 30th, 2020, 4:29 pm

FormerlyVegasAggie71 wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 4:27 pm
Utah is fairing better and opening up more quickly than other states, and was never as restrictive as most. The fascinating question will be if some schools/conferences are open for business/football and others aren't. Do you re-schedule with teams that will play? I could see Utah giving the green light to open up universities, thus allowing sports to play, while a state like CA may be more stubborn to do so.
and thus there would not be a FB season.


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie84025
Posts: 1852
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 537 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by Aggie84025 » April 30th, 2020, 8:23 pm

I am confident utah state will be back to school by end of summer and fall semester. The problem is the other states and schools. It only takes one to not open that messes over everything.

Unless we want bankrupt everything we need to open up everything now. The virus isnt going anywhere so we need to learn to live with it until a vaccine is ready.



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3356
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by ratofallaggies » May 1st, 2020, 7:42 am

I'll say it again.... There will be a college football season.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 4):
aggies22AggiePTJonnyCienPesosMachismo



sneed
Posts: 839
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 2:32 am
Has thanked: 895 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by sneed » May 1st, 2020, 7:52 am

ratofallaggies wrote:I'll say it again.... There will be a college football season.
I agree. This isn’t baseball we are talking about. Bring back the ESSENTIAL sports.
These users thanked the author sneed for the post (total 5):
AgMan21aggies22Cast Iron AggieAggiePTMachismo



User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 1801
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 398 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by sam tingey » May 1st, 2020, 7:55 am

sneed wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:52 am
ratofallaggies wrote:I'll say it again.... There will be a college football season.
I agree. This isn’t baseball we are talking about. Bring back the ESSENTIAL sports.
ouch!



BiocatAg
Posts: 204
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 2:35 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by BiocatAg » May 1st, 2020, 9:30 am

The SEC commissioner has already said they will play, regardless of what other conferences decide.
These users thanked the author BiocatAg for the post (total 3):
aggies22hipsterdoofus21AggiePT



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9539
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4649 times
Been thanked: 2810 times
Contact:

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by aggies22 » May 1st, 2020, 10:40 am

Arizona and Arizona State have announced they will resume on-campus learning this fall. Let the dominos fall!!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
hipsterdoofus21



taniataylor
Posts: 1718
Joined: June 24th, 2016, 9:21 am
Location: Monrovia, Ca
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 637 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by taniataylor » May 1st, 2020, 10:47 am



Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5396
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 383 times
Been thanked: 652 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 1st, 2020, 10:52 am

What you all aren't factoring in is that there's basically going to be a 6 week practice requirement before any games. https://watchstadium.com/ncaas-football ... 4-27-2020/

For schools like the ones in California, Oregon, & Washington, I have a hard time envisioning these kids being allowed to live on campus and practice in mid July.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15875
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 422 times
Been thanked: 1047 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 1st, 2020, 10:54 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 10:52 am
What you all aren't factoring in is that there's basically going to be a 6 week practice requirement before any games. https://watchstadium.com/ncaas-football ... 4-27-2020/

For schools like the ones in California, Oregon, & Washington, I have a hard time envisioning these kids being allowed to live on campus and practice in mid July.
I could definitely see the PAC12 "making a stand" and refusing to play this year. Not surprised at all to hear the SEC and teams from the Big 12 talking about playing. Nothing gets in the way of football in the south.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
sam tingey



User avatar
sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl
Posts: 1801
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 8:40 am
Has thanked: 398 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by sam tingey » May 1st, 2020, 10:59 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 10:54 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 10:52 am
What you all aren't factoring in is that there's basically going to be a 6 week practice requirement before any games. https://watchstadium.com/ncaas-football ... 4-27-2020/

For schools like the ones in California, Oregon, & Washington, I have a hard time envisioning these kids being allowed to live on campus and practice in mid July.
I could definitely see the PAC12 "making a stand" and refusing to play this year. Not surprised at all to hear the SEC and teams from the Big 12 talking about playing. Nothing gets in the way of football in the south.
As it shouldn't



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9539
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4649 times
Been thanked: 2810 times
Contact:

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by aggies22 » May 1st, 2020, 11:22 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 10:52 am
What you all aren't factoring in is that there's basically going to be a 6 week practice requirement before any games. https://watchstadium.com/ncaas-football ... 4-27-2020/

For schools like the ones in California, Oregon, & Washington, I have a hard time envisioning these kids being allowed to live on campus and practice in mid July.
I don't really get this 6-week thing? Most schools only utilize 22 or 23 of the maximum 25 fall camp practices allowed and that only takes up 4 weeks.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5445
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 210 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by GameFAQSAggie » May 1st, 2020, 11:32 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 11:22 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 10:52 am
What you all aren't factoring in is that there's basically going to be a 6 week practice requirement before any games. https://watchstadium.com/ncaas-football ... 4-27-2020/

For schools like the ones in California, Oregon, & Washington, I have a hard time envisioning these kids being allowed to live on campus and practice in mid July.
I don't really get this 6-week thing? Most schools only utilize 22 or 23 of the maximum 25 fall camp practices allowed and that only takes up 4 weeks.
Conditioning. 2 weeks to get conditioned before "practices" start.



ususports
Posts: 1418
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by ususports » May 1st, 2020, 11:34 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 11:22 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 10:52 am
What you all aren't factoring in is that there's basically going to be a 6 week practice requirement before any games. https://watchstadium.com/ncaas-football ... 4-27-2020/

For schools like the ones in California, Oregon, & Washington, I have a hard time envisioning these kids being allowed to live on campus and practice in mid July.
I don't really get this 6-week thing? Most schools only utilize 22 or 23 of the maximum 25 fall camp practices allowed and that only takes up 4 weeks.
Agreed. I have seen plenty of people successfully gain weight in less than 6 weeks. Just tell players to eat more chips, cookies, and churros now to get a jump start on things. No need to wait until 6 weeks before the season starts.



User avatar
ratofallaggies
Posts: 3356
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by ratofallaggies » May 1st, 2020, 12:09 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 11:32 am
aggies22 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 11:22 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 10:52 am
What you all aren't factoring in is that there's basically going to be a 6 week practice requirement before any games. https://watchstadium.com/ncaas-football ... 4-27-2020/

For schools like the ones in California, Oregon, & Washington, I have a hard time envisioning these kids being allowed to live on campus and practice in mid July.
I don't really get this 6-week thing? Most schools only utilize 22 or 23 of the maximum 25 fall camp practices allowed and that only takes up 4 weeks.
Conditioning. 2 weeks to get conditioned before "practices" start.
You can bet on each strength and conditioning program ensuring that each athlete understands and has a program to follow to ensure they're conditioned by the time the go ahead is given.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 2):
aggies22MrBiggle



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9539
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4649 times
Been thanked: 2810 times
Contact:

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by aggies22 » May 1st, 2020, 12:12 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 11:32 am
aggies22 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 11:22 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 10:52 am
What you all aren't factoring in is that there's basically going to be a 6 week practice requirement before any games. https://watchstadium.com/ncaas-football ... 4-27-2020/

For schools like the ones in California, Oregon, & Washington, I have a hard time envisioning these kids being allowed to live on campus and practice in mid July.
I don't really get this 6-week thing? Most schools only utilize 22 or 23 of the maximum 25 fall camp practices allowed and that only takes up 4 weeks.
Conditioning. 2 weeks to get conditioned before "practices" start.
I know for a fact that each kid on the team has already been handed down a workout plan to follow while they are waiting this thing out. If a kid shows up needing to condition he deserves to be left behind and fall down the depth chart.



Blitz79
Posts: 1274
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by Blitz79 » May 1st, 2020, 12:32 pm

So people are saying that there will be a season. Unfortunately they don't have the final say. SEC can say all they want but it may not happen.



User avatar
MrBiggle
Posts: 1285
Joined: October 10th, 2013, 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 277 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by MrBiggle » May 1st, 2020, 12:55 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 3:00 pm
El Sapo wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 1:37 pm
I'm worried that it's still too early to be taking down the restrictions. Glad we are just easing out of restrictions a little at a time here in the CA Bay Area. My County shelter in place has been extended to May 30, but the golf courses can open next week, so there are carefully measured actions being taken.

Right now the mindset I see ( I've had it myself) is that cova's not that bad, cmon, open up already, what's the big deal? Then I started thinking of some similar health situations I've encountered. People who rely on medications to avoid serious illness (especially mental)? After a period of time they wonder why they are taking the medication because they don't have any of the old symptoms and the meds they take usually have serious undesirable side effects. Like shelter in place has helped lower the curve, but has a negative effect on our economy..

So here we are socially distancing, staying at home and we're doing pretty good. Like a patient who is taking medication and is successfully avoiding illness. Some places are in great shape, others seem to be improving.

So are we ready to stop taking the meds? The illness is still there just waiting for an opportunity. That choice doesn't seem logical to me at this point
Unless you're willing to shut it all down for the next 12-18 months and bankrupt the country to the point we end up a third world country, opening up May 1 or November 1, the health implications are the same.
Amen, this is how I feel!


Where only sage brush grows

User avatar
GUS
Posts: 2738
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by GUS » May 1st, 2020, 4:11 pm

Just saw that for all of Cache County, there has only been 43 covid 19 cases with something like 6 hospitalizations. It seems to me that safeguards can be put in place with that low of incidence. We are also finding out that there are lots of individuals that have had the virus with no symptoms and it has been more widespread than originally thought. I think there will be football in September. I also think that those of us who have cancer or other immune deficiencies will have to watch on tv while the young and healthy get to watch live.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2505
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 227 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 1st, 2020, 7:59 pm

Part of me worries they'll start the season, but a few players will get Covid 19 and then they'll shut it all down again.



User avatar
IdaAg93
Posts: 1476
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:30 am
Location: SE Idaho...a perfect distance from the hive.
Has thanked: 328 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by IdaAg93 » May 3rd, 2020, 6:59 pm

GUS wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 7:10 pm
News has been coming out that covid19 is less deadly and more wide spread than originally thought. I have a feeling that the non-at-risk people will be out and about like normal within the next 3-4 weeks. Sporting events will take place with safe guards in place. Those of us who have things that make us at risk to the disease will see restrictions continue to some extent. Football and basketball will take place.
Conceptually, this is where it's going. I believe in herd immunity. Unfortunately, those metabolically fragile (obese, (pre)diabetes, cardio and respiratory issues) constitutes 88% of those over 50 yrs old. Think of how many older season ticket holders we have. That's a lot of empty west side blue seats.
Word to the wise, get your health in check and attend these games. The best immunity to good health. Be smart!!



User avatar
tysteve20
Posts: 234
Joined: August 28th, 2014, 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by tysteve20 » May 4th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Take this with a grain of salt but I just received an email from the university.


“We are sorry to inform you Sports Management, MSLE 3850.001, has been cancelled for Fall 2020.

Since there will be no athletic events on campus nor profession sports participation during Fall semester due to Covid 19, Professor Eric Schulz would be very limited in opportunities he typically provides this class.”

Not sure if that’s official word or just speculation on the university’s part.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 8995
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 452 times
Been thanked: 305 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by ViAggie » May 4th, 2020, 1:58 pm

BiocatAg wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 9:30 am
The SEC commissioner has already said they will play, regardless of what other conferences decide.
They all say that... until they don't


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 8995
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 452 times
Been thanked: 305 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by ViAggie » May 4th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:59 pm
Part of me worries they'll start the season, but a few players will get Covid 19 and then they'll shut it all down again.
Likely if they do decide to play, FB is an extreme contact sport, if you've ever been at the bottom of a pile you know what I mean.


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2505
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 227 times

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 4th, 2020, 6:20 pm

ViAggie wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 2:00 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:59 pm
Part of me worries they'll start the season, but a few players will get Covid 19 and then they'll shut it all down again.
Likely if they do decide to play, FB is an extreme contact sport, if you've ever been at the bottom of a pile you know what I mean.
And that is the question the NCAA and pro leagues have to come to grips with. If they decide to play there will be players and coaches who get Covid 19. Knowing that will they decide to play anyway and just accept that this is the new normal and part of the risk for the foreseeable future or are we just going to shut down sports until there is a vaccine?

I'm for playing and just using precautions such as limited fan attendance, but I can see how leagues won't want to get sued into oblivion by deciding to go forward.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9539
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4649 times
Been thanked: 2810 times
Contact:

Re: When will we know if there will be a season?

Post by aggies22 » May 4th, 2020, 6:47 pm

When the SEC says they are playing football then we'll know there will be a season.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieFBObsession



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic