What Jordan Love should teach recruits

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
swordsman1989
Has thanked: 0

What Jordan Love should teach recruits

Post by swordsman1989 » April 25th, 2020, 12:50 am

I know every kid wants to go to Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, or Clemson so they can be on national TV and compete for a national championship. But Jordan Love should teach recruits that if they wish to hope for an NFL career, getting themselves on the field of a division 1 program is far and away the most important thing, far more than which school you go to. The NFL scouting system is so deep and complex that if you are a starter or get regular game action in division 1 college football, you are going to be discovered. Outside of USU, Jordan Love had no FBS offers. Imagine if he had decided to take a preferred walk-on spot at a higher profile school and at best his experience was being a scout squad player or maybe a few minutes of mop-up duty in a blowout win over an FCS school. Do you think he would have developed enough as a player to become a first round draft pick? Of course not!

I am not a football expert, but from hearing those who are in the know, it seems similar to how airline pilots are trained in the sense that nothing compares to the real thing. In the airline industry we put new pilots through 25-30 hours of simulator training before they see the real airplane the first time. In those 25+ hours, we throw them through normal procedures, tons of emergency procedures, and even simulated normal flying. But always, without fail, the new airline pilot learns FAR more in the first hour of real flying than he or she did in the 25 hours in the simulator. There are many times where a pilot performs very well in the simulator, but then struggles once they start their line training in the real airplane. It sounds very similar to what football coaches and experts often say about players, that the first half of a real game is far more valuable for teaching, and exposes so much more than any amount of practices or scrimmages can. A guy can be a great player in practice, but come game time, many weaknesses get exposed that were not uncovered in practice.

IMHO Jordan Love is a great example of what can happen when a kid is dedicated and gets the chance to get on the field regularly and start in game scenarios. We also saw this with Bobby Wagner, who was recruited very little out of high school and whose only offer came from USU. But he was given the chance to get on the field and succeed and develop as a player who became a second round draft pick and has been one of the best linebackers in the NFL for the past decade with six consecutive Pro-Bowl selections and a Super Bowl ring.

Hopefully the coaching staff can use the examples of Jordan Love and Bobby Wagner to convince some guys to come to USU and get a better chance to get on the field than they might get by going to a bigger name school where the opportunities to get on the field will be far more difficult.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 5):
GaAggieThunderAggieAggie_in_Idahoaggies22AggieFBObsession

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: What Jordan Love should teach recruits

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 25th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Yep you can make the NFL from anywhere. Just looking at quarterbacks; Tony Romo, Carson Wentz and Joe Flacco didn't even go to FBS schools. If we go through mid major quarterbacks that made the NFL, the list would be long. If your goal is to make the NFL, you should not be scared away from playing at a mid major. USU has sent several players to the pros at other positions.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 25th, 2020, 8:02 pm

The top 3 picks all played at Ohio State. Jordan Love was the ONLY G5 player taken in the first round. That’s the lesson for recruits in this draft.

“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 25th, 2020, 8:06 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 8:02 pm
The top 3 picks all played at Ohio State. Jordan Love was the ONLY G5 player taken in the first round. That’s the lesson for recruits in this draft.
I think in the first three rounds lsu had 10 draftees and Alabama had 9. It is really quite amazing the amount of talent that comes out the top 5 programs compared to everyone else right now. It’s should be no surprise that it really is 3-4 programs every year that have a real chance at a national championship.

GoldcoastAggie

Post by GoldcoastAggie » April 25th, 2020, 8:11 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 8:06 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 8:02 pm
I think in the first three rounds lsu had 10 draftees and Alabama had 9. It is really quite amazing the amount of talent that comes out the top 5 programs compared to everyone else right now. It’s should be no surprise that it really is 3-4 programs every year that have a real chance at a national championship.
Money talks.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 26th, 2020, 8:09 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 7:47 pm
Yep you can make the NFL from anywhere. Just looking at quarterbacks; Tony Romo, Carson Wentz and Joe Flacco didn't even go to FBS schools. If we go through mid major quarterbacks that made the NFL, the list would be long. If your goal is to make the NFL, you should not be scared away from playing at a mid major. USU has sent several players to the pros at other positions.
Another positive for the program is Jordan love is one of the big stories of the draft and he was all over espn etc which is free marketing to recruits. A lot of the kids we may be competing for also have offers from say Colorado state. This past week has been a good thing for competing for those recruits.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » April 26th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Auburn, etc have so many players in the draft because they also get a lot of high quality recruits, many of which don't ever play much because of what the op is talking about. You guys are missing the point. I think it's a valid one. What if those same kids decided to make a name for themselves at a lesser program instead that was a good fit? Their chances of playing are much, much better.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » April 26th, 2020, 4:03 pm

I think this is more of a lesson for fringe recruits that has offers from lower tier P5 programs like Rutgers, Indiana, etc.. and G5 offers like Utah State. Go where you're wanted the most and where you'll see the most time on the field. Jordan Love didn't really have a choice but to go to Utah State since we were his only offer.

BigSkyAG

Post by BigSkyAG » April 26th, 2020, 4:34 pm

I have always been curious...Who was responsible for recognizing Jordan's talent? I know it happened under Matt's watch but who is the one the one that was sold on his talent early on? Any of you alpha posters (22, SlCAg, rat, et al) know?

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » April 26th, 2020, 4:48 pm

BigSkyAG wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 4:34 pm
I have always been curious...Who was responsible for recognizing Jordan's talent? I know it happened under Matt's watch but who is the one the one that was sold on his talent early on? Any of you alpha posters (22, SlCAg, rat, et al) know?
I thought I read somewhere that it was Josh Heupel, but don't hold me to that. I'll defer to posters who are more knowledgeable than I am.

cbingham

Post by cbingham » April 26th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Wow that was a lot of writing... what do the 14 draft picks from LSU tell recruits?
swordsman1989 wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:50 am
I know every kid wants to go to Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, or Clemson so they can be on national TV and compete for a national championship. But Jordan Love should teach recruits that if they wish to hope for an NFL career, getting themselves on the field of a division 1 program is far and away the most important thing, far more than which school you go to. The NFL scouting system is so deep and complex that if you are a starter or get regular game action in division 1 college football, you are going to be discovered. Outside of USU, Jordan Love had no FBS offers. Imagine if he had decided to take a preferred walk-on spot at a higher profile school and at best his experience was being a scout squad player or maybe a few minutes of mop-up duty in a blowout win over an FCS school. Do you think he would have developed enough as a player to become a first round draft pick? Of course not!

I am not a football expert, but from hearing those who are in the know, it seems similar to how airline pilots are trained in the sense that nothing compares to the real thing. In the airline industry we put new pilots through 25-30 hours of simulator training before they see the real airplane the first time. In those 25+ hours, we throw them through normal procedures, tons of emergency procedures, and even simulated normal flying. But always, without fail, the new airline pilot learns FAR more in the first hour of real flying than he or she did in the 25 hours in the simulator. There are many times where a pilot performs very well in the simulator, but then struggles once they start their line training in the real airplane. It sounds very similar to what football coaches and experts often say about players, that the first half of a real game is far more valuable for teaching, and exposes so much more than any amount of practices or scrimmages can. A guy can be a great player in practice, but come game time, many weaknesses get exposed that were not uncovered in practice.

IMHO Jordan Love is a great example of what can happen when a kid is dedicated and gets the chance to get on the field regularly and start in game scenarios. We also saw this with Bobby Wagner, who was recruited very little out of high school and whose only offer came from USU. But he was given the chance to get on the field and succeed and develop as a player who became a second round draft pick and has been one of the best linebackers in the NFL for the past decade with six consecutive Pro-Bowl selections and a Super Bowl ring.

Hopefully the coaching staff can use the examples of Jordan Love and Bobby Wagner to convince some guys to come to USU and get a better chance to get on the field than they might get by going to a bigger name school where the opportunities to get on the field will be far more difficult.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 26th, 2020, 6:10 pm

BigSkyAG wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 4:34 pm
It's a good question. The other question I have is who decided to keep his offer after his Senior year in HS? I'm sorry but I watched many of those games and there wasn't a single trait or play that made me think he was a D1 level talent, let alone a future NFL prospect. He looked skinny and slow with a wind up arm action that made it seem easy to predict where he was going with the ball. He wasn't dominant on the field and didn't particularly stand out in any way other than the announcers mentioning he was committed to USU several times a game.

He truly transformed his body and game while at USU. Of course you never know how recruits will turn out but usually recruiting them is based on glimpses of great ability or skill. In Jordan's case, I feel like his growth and skill happened almost entirely in college. I think we were more lucky than anything that we had a guy that was as driven as Love to become the best he could.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 26th, 2020, 6:28 pm

cbingham wrote:Wow that was a lot of writing... what do the 14 draft picks from LSU tell recruits?
swordsman1989 wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:50 am

G-g-geaux Tigazz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 27th, 2020, 3:01 pm

I don't think he was comparing Utah State to LSU. He was just making the point that you can make the NFL from Utah State which has shown to be true over and over. Nobody is saying USU sends the most players to the pros or is comparable to the SEC.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
sstrasser

Locked Previous topicNext topic