2020 Football-Updated targeting rule

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie_CEE

2020 Football-Updated targeting rule

Post by Aggie_CEE » April 21st, 2020, 11:17 pm

Glad to see that players aren't ejected to the lockeroom anymore. There's a few other minor updates for the year as well that are in this ESPN article:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ther-rules
These users thanked the author Aggie_CEE for the post:
GameFAQSAggie

dyedblue

Re: 2020 Football-Updated targeting rule

Post by dyedblue » April 21st, 2020, 11:21 pm

I’d rather see them go to a soccer style targeting where severe spots are auto ejections and incidental blows are a penalty and warning with a second one in a game being an ejection. Get 3 and you’re suspended for a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
thegreendalegelf

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 22nd, 2020, 12:04 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 11:21 pm
I’d rather see them go to a soccer style targeting where severe spots are auto ejections and incidental blows are a penalty and warning with a second one in a game being an ejection. Get 3 and you’re suspended for a game.
This sounds good to me - but only if the ref runs up and holds up a yellow or red card and then a mob forms and yells at him. Outside of the occasional goal, the card-receiving foul might be the most entertaining element of watching soccer :devil:
When I watch soccer and hear the whistle and see the ref running with his hand in his pocket, I'm on the edge of my seat.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 22nd, 2020, 1:18 pm

brownjeans wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 12:04 pm
dyedblue wrote:
This sounds good to me - but only if the ref runs up and holds up a yellow or red card and then a mob forms and yells at him. Outside of the occasional goal, the card-receiving foul might be the most entertaining element of watching soccer :devil:
When I watch soccer and hear the whistle and see the ref running with his hand in his pocket, I'm on the edge of my seat.
It has all of the suspense and anticipation of a gender reveal.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13aggies22NVAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 22nd, 2020, 1:19 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 1:18 pm
brownjeans wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
It has all of the suspense and anticipation of a gender reveal.
Boo. I hate gender reveals

Aggie_CEE

Post by Aggie_CEE » April 22nd, 2020, 3:35 pm

I wish the automatic ejection were removed and only enforced where replay shows that the player could have avoided contact by using proper technique. The incidental hit where it appears that targeting only occurred because of how quickly an offensive player lowers himself is what annoys me.

AGGIEFIGHT
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » April 22nd, 2020, 3:55 pm

I would foresee the player that did the targeting will be a hero and be able to incite the crowd from the sideline. I am fine with him staying on the sideline but they need to keep there mouth shut or be flagged with unsportmanslike and then kicked out

Aggie_CEE

Post by Aggie_CEE » April 22nd, 2020, 4:13 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 3:55 pm
I would foresee the player that did the targeting will be a hero and be able to incite the crowd from the sideline. I am fine with him staying on the sideline but they need to keep there mouth shut or be flagged with unsportmanslike and then kicked out
Why can't an ejected player help his team win from the sideline like everyone else? Throw a flag for taunting or un-sportsmanship if that's what is happening, but let the guy at least cheer for his team an get the crowd going.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 23rd, 2020, 8:15 am

Aggie_CEE wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 11:17 pm
Glad to see that players aren't ejected to the lockeroom anymore. There's a few other minor updates for the year as well that are in this ESPN article:

That's a step forward, yet the rule seems to overlooked the dynamics of high speed contact. Clearly there has been a spearing rule in place for many years, and that is a solid regulation. For those of us who have played or coached the game I believe the targeting rule has been unreasonably amplified times over

The ball carrier typically leads with his head when advancing the ball, and the defensive player has the responsibility to avoid leading with the crown of his helmet. The dynamics of contact football should require flexible insight as to what is intentional spearing or inadvertent contact and as I see the game, many instances of inadvertent helmet to helmet contact have been flagged as fouls.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 23rd, 2020, 8:25 am

brownjeans wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
The victim of the hit also has to writhe uncontrollably complaining that his arms, legs and head were affected by said hit.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
brownjeans

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 23rd, 2020, 8:44 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
The victim of the hit also has to writhe uncontrollably complaining that his arms, legs and head were affected by said hit.
They just need to act like an Air Force our BYU defender trying to slow our offense down.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 23rd, 2020, 10:56 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 8:25 am
brownjeans wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
Yep. We'll need to hire this guy as a coach:
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
FloridaAggie13

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 23rd, 2020, 11:40 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 8:15 am
Aggie_CEE wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 11:17 pm

That's a step forward, yet the rule seems to overlooked the dynamics of high speed contact. Clearly there has been a spearing rule in place for many years, and that is a solid regulation. For those of us who have played or coached the game I believe the targeting rule has been unreasonably amplified times over

The ball carrier typically leads with his head when advancing the ball, and the defensive player has the responsibility to avoid leading with the crown of his helmet. The dynamics of contact football should require flexible insight as to what is intentional spearing or inadvertent contact and as I see the game, many instances of inadvertent helmet to helmet contact have been flagged as fouls.
I've never minded the rule. If football is ever going to reduce head injuries players have to start keeping their head up to see what they tackle and start tackling more and "hitting" less. What I've always had a problem with is the uneven enforcement. It's really rare to see a ball carrier called for a penalty when using their head as a tackle-breaking tool. If we're really going to be about player protection, we have to discourage ALL players from using their head as a strike point, not just tacklers.

My son is going into 7th grade next year. He has played flag football for a couple years - usually playing up a grade because he's crazy fast. He wants to play tackle but his mom and I are making him wait. We're very wary about repeated blows to the head. I can teach him to play safe, but I'd like some assurance that others are going to try to play safe as well. Strict head-contact rules would help with that peace of mind. I know it won't eliminate head contact completely, but it should help.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 23rd, 2020, 12:51 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Good shot Florida...bulls eye,, no targeting intended.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 23rd, 2020, 4:51 pm

brownjeans wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
Yep. We'll need to hire this guy as a coach:
I root for Brazil, but Neymar is the whiniest little....

They had an Amazon series on the Seleção in Portuguese that I watched. In one of the matches he went down in front of their bench and even their coach rolled his eyes and told him to get up.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 23rd, 2020, 5:24 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 4:51 pm
I root for Brazil, but Neymar is the whiniest little....

They had an Amazon series on the Seleção in Portuguese that I watched. In one of the matches he went down in front of their bench and even their coach rolled his eyes and told him to get up.
I can't believe none of his teammates aren't getting in his ear about it. If I played with a guy like that I'd run over after his flop, take the ball put it down, and kick it straight out of bounds to give the ball to the other team. Then I'd give Neymar an earful about how we win on our feet, not cowering and whimpering on the ground.

Locked Previous topicNext topic