Can Love be replaced?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
RexburgAggie

Can Love be replaced?

Post by RexburgAggie » April 15th, 2020, 9:19 pm

We have been lucky to have Jordan Love these last few years! He played decent all season except in that game again Boise State. I knew they would win, but he looked horrible. I just don't think we have the QB talent to replace him. I honestly don't think we have ever had a QB as good as him in our history, so I am curious to see your guys' thoughts!

hickaggie

Re: Can Love be replaced?

Post by hickaggie » April 15th, 2020, 9:53 pm

First of all I think you are right. The Aggies were 4-8 team without Love and that's only thanks to the futility of the bottom feeders they faced. You can say his mistakes cost the Aggies Wake Forest and the chance to have a shootout with the Zoobs but they were only in that position because of Love in the first place.

As to whether he can be replaced though Colombi can be a very good college QB in the right offensive system. If the new coordinator can replicate the Keeton offense I think he will surprise but Keeton had some real weapons around him that if the Aggies have they are yet unproven. So much will depend on the O'line getting their act together and staying healthy. But I doubt we'll ever see an Aggie QB like Love. As far as best Aggie QB though Keeton as a sophomore was electric and would have probably outperformed Love last year just because he could better nuetralize the O-line struggles with his slippery style. He wasn't in the same league with arm talent though.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 15th, 2020, 10:51 pm

Never before has USU had a QB that was a first round pick. So we can't expect to replace Love - he's the first EVER at USU with that kind of talent.
But we have good QBs on the team. I think it's likely that Colombi is better than most QBs in the conference.
If the rest of the team plays well, we'll be fine. QB will not be a position of weakness next season.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 15th, 2020, 11:13 pm

brownjeans wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 10:51 pm
Never before has USU had a QB that was a first round pick. So we can't expect to replace Love - he's the first EVER at USU with that kind of talent.
But we have good QBs on the team. I think it's likely that Colombi is better than most QBs in the conference.
If the rest of the team plays well, we'll be fine. QB will not be a position of weakness next season.
Bill Munson was selected in the 1st round in 1964 by the LA Rams. Was he as talented as Love? I have no idea. At the time he set several school records and had an 8-2 record as a senior. Also played 16 years in the league. Love is very talented and probably has a much better arm.

I don't think we need to replace Love. If you look at how this team is being built and what Gary did the last time he was here, I think you'll see more of a run oriented offense. We have some very talented RBs. If our young offensive line can stay healthy, I think Colombi has the talent to run the offense effectively. Does he have Love's arm talent? No, but he doesn't need it.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
USU78

Go Aggies!

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 16th, 2020, 12:28 am

Aggie19 wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 11:13 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Bill Munson was selected in the 1st round in 1964 by the LA Rams. Was he as talented as Love? I have no idea. At the time he set several school records and had an 8-2 record as a senior. Also played 16 years in the league. Love is very talented and probably has a much better arm.

I don't think we need to replace Love. If you look at how this team is being built and what Gary did the last time he was here, I think you'll see more of a run oriented offense. We have some very talented RBs. If our young offensive line can stay healthy, I think Colombi has the talent to run the offense effectively. Does he have Love's arm talent? No, but he doesn't need it.
Agreed. One trait Colombi seems to have (generally speaking), is his ability to scan the field, not stare-down his receivers and be accurate with the football. If he continues to be a methodical passer who can get out and scramble when things break down - we'll be good (assuming our receivers don't keep wetting themselves).

Throw in a few wildcard formations that utilize Peasley or Legas' athletic abilities - we have great potential from an offensive standpoint!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 16th, 2020, 12:38 am

If Colombi is on the same level as Kennedy and Garretson, the Aggies will be just fine.

Eutaw St. Aggie

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 16th, 2020, 6:37 am

We can’t replace Love’s talent, but last year’s offense was a (I can't express myself without swearing) show. We can be better with less talent and experience by blocking, not running the ball up the middle with speed backs, using the RPO effectively, mixing in some fly sweeps to Scarver, playing guys in the right position, having A receiver to the side we’re rolling out to, pump faking and using double moves, and catching the ball.

Did I miss anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
IdaAg93

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 16th, 2020, 7:18 am

There are a lot bigger concerns on offense for me than qb. Rb depth and age (hopefully we can still get the jc kid ex UCLA commit) and wr (outside of our slot guys who do we have).

I expect the oline (if we stay healthy, our two tackles are very good), te’s and qb to be solid imo

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » April 16th, 2020, 7:35 am

slcagg wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 7:18 am
There are a lot bigger concerns on offense for me than qb. Rb depth and age (hopefully we can still get the jc kid ex UCLA commit) and wr (outside of our slot guys who do we have).
I couldn't agree more! QB is not a concern to me at all. Columbi is a stud and he will be just fine. RB depth is a concern. Although it is probably the most talented RB group we have ever had at USU they are extremely young and inexperienced. We do have potential at the outside receiver spot. If guys like AJ Carter, Wright, and Patrick can step up with the big time addition of Justin McGriff I think we will be just fine. I think at the end of the day it all goes back to how the guys are using their time during this virus crap, and how they are self motivating/training for the hopeful upcoming season.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 16th, 2020, 7:43 am

It is always possible for USU to replace a Jordan Love. Do we have one on the roster? Probably not. That means the coaches need to scheme in a way that the new QB can be successful.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 16th, 2020, 8:04 am

jeffdan25 wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 7:35 am
slcagg wrote:
I couldn't agree more! QB is not a concern to me at all. Columbi is a stud and he will be just fine. RB depth is a concern. Although it is probably the most talented RB group we have ever had at USU they are extremely young and inexperienced. We do have potential at the outside receiver spot. If guys like AJ Carter, Wright, and Patrick can step up with the big time addition of Justin McGriff I think we will be just fine. I think at the end of the day it all goes back to how the guys are using their time during this virus crap, and how they are self motivating/training for the hopeful upcoming season.
I completely forgot about Mcgriff!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 16th, 2020, 9:53 am

slcagg wrote:

I expect the oline (if we stay healthy, our two tackles are very good), te’s and qb to be solid imo
Running back depth will be just fine. Jaylen Warren, John Gentry and Elelyon Noa will be able to hold their own. The great thing about running back is no matter the age, you can kind of just plug and play the kid. If Lajuan Hunt can play here as a true freshman, John Gentry and Elelyon Noa sure as $hit will be able to! Rachaad White held out long enough for the P5 offers to come in and now holds offers from Texas Tech and Indiana. I think he's probably out. The depth at wide receiver again has me concerned but I agree with an improved offensive line.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
slcaggjeffdan25

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 16th, 2020, 10:06 am

Can Love be replaced? Sure. However, we aren't Alabama, LSU and so on, so we don't have future NFL guys backing up guys that are on their way to the NFL. When we lose a talented dude like Jordan Love, David Woodward, Tipa Galeai, etc., there should be an expected drop off in talent level. Realistically, we just don't have the luxury of having that type of depth. Will Henry Colombi be a good QB next season? Absolutely! This kid received P5 offers because he deserved them. He is talented and has a TON of potential. He has been and will continue working his a$$ off until the players are summoned back to campus. Henry is a completely different type of QB than Jordan, so naturally, the offense will look and operate differently to compliment his abilities. The 2019 offense was geared around what Jordan could do, the 2020 offense will be more suited to Henry and look very similar to what was run through Chuckie Keeton during Coach Andersen's first tour of duty here.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
slcaggUSU78

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 16th, 2020, 10:37 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 9:53 am
slcagg wrote:

Running back depth will be just fine. Jaylen Warren, John Gentry and Elelyon Noa will be able to hold their own. The great thing about running back is no matter the age, you can kind of just plug and play the kid. If Lajuan Hunt can play here as a true freshman, John Gentry and Elelyon Noa sure as $hit will be able to! Rachaad White held out long enough for the P5 offers to come in and now holds offers from Texas Tech and Indiana. I think he's probably out. The depth at wide receiver again has me concerned but I agree with an improved offensive line.
My concern on depth is if one or two of them have injuries on the run depth. Knock on wood but warren struggled this past year and def slowed down the 2nd half of the year. Hopefully that is not the case this year.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 16th, 2020, 10:58 am

slcagg wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 10:37 am
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

My concern on depth is if one or two of them have injuries on the run depth. Knock on wood but warren struggled this past year and def slowed down the 2nd half of the year. Hopefully that is not the case this year.
I think you'll all be shocked at how good Gentry and Noa turn out to be.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 16th, 2020, 11:19 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 10:06 am
Can Love be replaced? Sure. However, we aren't Alabama, LSU and so on, so we don't have future NFL guys backing up guys that are on their way to the NFL. When we lose a talented dude like Jordan Love, David Woodward, Tipa Galeai, etc., there should be an expected drop off in talent level. Realistically, we just don't have the luxury of having that type of depth. Will Henry Colombi be a good QB next season? Absolutely! This kid received P5 offers because he deserved them. He is talented and has a TON of potential. He has been and will continue working his a$$ off until the players are summoned back to campus. Henry is a completely different type of QB than Jordan, so naturally, the offense will look and operate differently to compliment his abilities. The 2019 offense was geared around what Jordan could do, the 2020 offense will be more suited to Henry and look very similar to what was run through Chuckie Keeton during Coach Andersen's first tour of duty here.
[/quote

That's a very good post you seem to understand football quite well. What will help Henry a lot is the O line having more experience. The receivers need to improve, but we may have a possession receiver which we did not have last year. I for one believe they needed taller receivers in order to catch contested passes, last season that group was mediocre at best, the running game will improve because of quality and again a more experienced O line.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
aggies22

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 16th, 2020, 11:33 am

After the '71 and '72 back-to-back 8-3 seasons with Tony Adams under center, there was considerable worry that the quarterbacks in the stable and being recruited would be unable to continue the high level of production we had been seeing, especially after Tony was unable to answer the call on Thanksgiving Day against Weeb and Mickey Doyle, his backup, really $hat the bed, and we lost HC Chuck Mills to Wake.

The change to a more run oriented offense against pretty much the same level of competition saw USU with pretty forgettable QB production produced 7-4 and 8-3 records in '73 and '74. I'm not particularly concerned about losing Love. The new coaching staff tried their level best to feature Jordan last season notwithstanding they had different long-range plans for the program.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 16th, 2020, 12:48 pm

jeffdan25 wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 7:35 am
slcagg wrote:
I don't know - that 2011 team that had Turbin, Smith, Williams, and Joe Hill might have something to say about that.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
Coloraggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 16th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Munson is the second qb I remember seeing. He probably didn't have as strong an arm as Love, but it was still very strong. Munson was pinpoint accurate. Love is potentially better, but there is something to say about a guy who played 16 in the NFL, and a majority of those years he started. Most of us forget Munson, but he is someone all Aggie fans should be proud of.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
Aggie19

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 16th, 2020, 4:02 pm

USU78 wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 11:33 am
After the '71 and '72 back-to-back 8-3 seasons with Tony Adams under center, there was considerable worry that the quarterbacks in the stable and being recruited would be unable to continue the high level of production we had been seeing, especially after Tony was unable to answer the call on Thanksgiving Day against Weeb and Mickey Doyle, his backup, really $hat the bed, and we lost HC Chuck Mills to Wake.

The change to a more run oriented offense against pretty much the same level of competition saw USU with pretty forgettable QB production produced 7-4 and 8-3 records in '73 and '74. I'm not particularly concerned about losing Love. The new coaching staff tried their level best to feature Jordan last season notwithstanding they had different long-range plans for the program.
Adams was taken out of the game in the first half by a cheap shot by a Weeb lb. Weeb's coach Sark Arslanian (yes, Dave's father) was jumping and cheering on the sideline when they carried Tony Adams off the field. Whether that is true or not, that is what my friend told me who was there.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 16th, 2020, 4:39 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 3:57 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Munson is the second qb I remember seeing. He probably didn't have as strong an arm as Love, but it was still very strong. Munson was pinpoint accurate. Love is potentially better, but there is something to say about a guy who played 16 in the NFL, and a majority of those years he started. Most of us forget Munson, but he is someone all Aggie fans should be proud of.
Most of didn't forget, rather never knew in the first place. Consider me educated.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 16th, 2020, 4:52 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 4:02 pm
USU78 wrote:

Adams was taken out of the game in the first half by a cheap shot by a Weeb lb. Weeb's coach Sark Arslanian (yes, Dave's father) was jumping and cheering on the sideline when they carried Tony Adams off the field. Whether that is true or not, that is what my friend told me who was there.
Tony had a bum ankle towards the end of the season. They worked on him on the sidelines after the cheap-shot, but he couldn't do it. And to make things worse, some idiot scout team freshman linebacker ran into him a couple of days before while showing blitz package. He required serious work to even get ready for Saturday.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 16th, 2020, 5:28 pm

Yes, he can be replaced and we will move on. He's a great talent but did not have a great year in 2019; this is not meant as a debate whether another qb would have been more productive because I don't think they would have.

We survived after Chuckie Keeton, Anthony Calvillo (all-time passing leader in CFL history), Eric Hipple, Tony Adams and Munson.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » April 16th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Tony Adams to the Forzani Brothers was a thing of beauty.

I saw Munson play when I was 11 years old in the old Romney!

Anyone remember a game against Idaho in which Merlin Olsen played QB for a little while in the 4th quarter. We were up like 76 to 6. It pissed Idaho off so much, that they threatened to never play us again.
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post:
USU78

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 16th, 2020, 6:51 pm

USU78 wrote:

You mean by eliminating every misdirection, counter and option, taking the QB keep O out of the RPO, barely pretending to even have the QB make a read on the run portion, cratering the defense so he was playing from behind, and generally screwing up the offense to allow 7 guys to sit back in pass first reads. It definitely showcased Love.

Sanford didn't try and do (I can't express myself without swearing). He was looking for an extra payday while awaiting a bigger job. Didn't even install one new formation or try to address the goal line issues. Instead he just dumb downed Yost's offense and never tried to understand it.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 16th, 2020, 7:21 pm

aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

I'm surprised he got a P 5 offer by holding out so long, yet wish him well as opposed to mostly riding the pine for the balance of his career. Rachaad White seems to have played his cards well.

RexburgAggie

Post by RexburgAggie » April 16th, 2020, 10:44 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Yeah, I guess you're right, Love was just a generational talent here. We are just a very mediocre team when it comes to recruiting and rarely land top recruits, and even struggle to land top MW recruits. I just don't see how we can replace him with our poor recruiting. I could be wrong, but I just see this year being another average year, in an average conference. Its a mold we just can't break and its starting to really bug me. I am Aggie Blue through and through, but it is frustrating how bad our team is some years. The best year we had for a long time was 2018, and we couldn't even win the MW that year. Love has carried this team on his back.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » April 17th, 2020, 11:24 am

RexburgAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 10:44 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Yeah, I guess you're right, Love was just a generational talent here. We are just a very mediocre team when it comes to recruiting and rarely land top recruits, and even struggle to land top MW recruits. I just don't see how we can replace him with our poor recruiting. I could be wrong, but I just see this year being another average year, in an average conference. Its a mold we just can't break and its starting to really bug me. I am Aggie Blue through and through, but it is frustrating how bad our team is some years. The best year we had for a long time was 2018, and we couldn't even win the MW that year. Love has carried this team on his back.
I can give you some perspective on "how bad our team is some years."
I'll give you a hint, it's been a while. Last one that comes to mind is Wells 3-9 year where he conspired to lose every close game we were in.

6-6, 6-7, 7-6 are all good years for us.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 17th, 2020, 2:04 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 11:19 am
aggies22 wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 10:06 am
[/quote

That's a very good post you seem to understand football quite well. What will help Henry a lot is the O line having more experience. The receivers need to improve, but we may have a possession receiver which we did not have last year. I for one believe they needed taller receivers in order to catch contested passes, last season that group was mediocre at best, the running game will improve because of quality and again a more experienced O line.
Sounds to me like these posters have a grip both on reality and football. Trust the off season physical preparation will have this team in better form to compete.

RexburgAggie

Post by RexburgAggie » April 20th, 2020, 3:48 am

Sl7vk wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 11:24 am
RexburgAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
I'll give you a hint, it's been a while. Last one that comes to mind is Wells 3-9 year where he conspired to lose every close game we were in.

You really think those are good years for us? We play in the Mountain West! Those wouldn’t be bad years if we were in the PAC or the Big12. Look at a team like Boise State. They run the table in the MW every year, if they don’t win the conference the season was a waste for them. I just want to be able to at least be the face of the conference And earn a little respect. But until we can go into Boise and win in their turf, we will never be respected in this conference. Until we do that, we will never be in a big bowl game and have a chance to prove ourselves. We will always just have to settle for the Idaho potato bowl.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 20th, 2020, 7:05 am

RexburgAggie wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 3:48 am
Sl7vk wrote:
RexburgAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

You really think those are good years for us? We play in the Mountain West! Those wouldn’t be bad years if we were in the PAC or the Big12. Look at a team like Boise State. They run the table in the MW every year, if they don’t win the conference the season was a waste for them. I just want to be able to at least be the face of the conference And earn a little respect. But until we can go into Boise and win in their turf, we will never be respected in this conference. Until we do that, we will never be in a big bowl game and have a chance to prove ourselves. We will always just have to settle for the Idaho potato bowl.
You are up past curfew.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » April 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 10:58 am
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

22, please elaborate.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 22nd, 2020, 3:58 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
RexburgAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Most collegiate coaches in America would tell you that 6 to 7 wins is a good year. 8 to 9 is a great year. 10+ is an elite year.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 22nd, 2020, 4:14 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 10:58 am
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

22, please elaborate.
These two players are very accomplished running backs. John Gentry was used all over the field in multiple ways because the #1 rated RB in the COUNTRY was also on his team and John STILL garnered scholarship offers from multiple P5 schools. If Jason Phillips hadn't been so diligent in just keeping in touch with John, he would be signed to an SEC team right now. In the case of Elelyon. Most schools didn't even try to recruit him because it was believed that he was a lock to either remain in San Diego and become an Aztec or follow his brother to Boise State. Elelyon broke Reggie Bush's career rushing record at Helix in just 2 1/2 years. Because we have one of the best closers in college football in Stacy Collins, Elelyon chose to become an Aggie.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
slcagg

Locked Previous topicNext topic