We still have this guy for one more year...

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
crazywookie

We still have this guy for one more year...

Post by crazywookie » April 11th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Jordan Nathan has done more each year to impress.

This past season he's had some fantastic catches that we never thought he had any business pulling them in, but he did.

I look forward to seeing what he can do in his final season.

Plus, we get to have the best player parent ever hang around for another year.

Thanks Deseret News for writing the piece on him!
These users thanked the author crazywookie for the post (total 3):
taniataylorsstrasserViAggie

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: We still have this guy for one more year...

Post by aggies22 » April 11th, 2020, 10:59 pm

What impressed me most last season is he had his biggest games against the big opponents.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
AggiePTsstrasserAggie19

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » April 12th, 2020, 11:03 pm

I kinda love him
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 5):
USU78AggiePTsstrasserAggie19newtonianblue

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » April 13th, 2020, 9:46 am

taniataylor wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 11:03 pm
I kinda love him
my son, Nathan, is a BIG fan too, you have competition in becoming the Biggest Fan

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » April 13th, 2020, 10:51 am

sstrasser wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 9:46 am
taniataylor wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 11:03 pm
I kinda love him
my son, Nathan, is a BIG fan too, you have competition in becoming the Biggest Fan
More competition? I can't take it....I'm trying not to fold under pressure

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » April 13th, 2020, 11:32 am

I look forward to the big catches he'll make this year '22.

He had some amazing ones so we know he can play. I hope we see some opportunities for him and the offense to show more this year.

They need to out work their opponents now and reap the rewards

I'm optimistic that we'll have a season and we'll be able to enjoy one more year of JN

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 13th, 2020, 7:53 pm

An undersized, not particularly fast wideout that consistently dropped perfectly placed passes from an NFL caliber QB? Are you serious? A lot of our receiving core underperformed last year but he was the worst offender from a pass-catching perspective! He'd make a play here and there but not consistently enough to justify a starting spot.

That said I am intrigued by some of the newcomers.

ususports

Post by ususports » April 13th, 2020, 8:34 pm

Tell us how you really feel OrangeCountyAggie. Wow, I definitely disagree with your opinion. He had some great catches, and I look forward to seeing him play again this year. I feel that the “NFL caliber QB” who was constantly throwing pick sixes over and over again was a bigger problem with our offense. An occasional dropped pass hurts, but a consistent pattern of repeatedly gift wrapping 7 points to your opponent is far worse. I guess if you consider the passes thrown directly to the opposing defense as being “perfectly placed” then that’s an interesting perspective.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » April 13th, 2020, 9:07 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 7:53 pm
An undersized, not particularly fast wideout that consistently dropped perfectly placed passes from an NFL caliber QB? Are you serious? A lot of our receiving core underperformed last year but he was the worst offender from a pass-catching perspective! He'd make a play here and there but not consistently enough to justify a starting spot.

You must be a parent of a player that he beat for the starting spot!!! Lord.

By the way....he is theeee receiver that was depended on to convert 90% of 3rd downs - of which most he was successful...including shutting down one of the best college corners in the NCAA at the LSU game.... as you were sir
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 5):
newtonianblueususportsUSU78TurtleAggiePT

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 14th, 2020, 5:24 pm

taniataylor wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 9:07 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

By the way....he is theeee receiver that was depended on to convert 90% of 3rd downs - of which most he was successful...including shutting down one of the best college corners in the NCAA at the LSU game.... as you were sir
No, I don't have any relatives on the team and I have nothing against him personally (I will root for him and any Aggie on the field). I just got so tired of him last year never being open and dropping so many wide-open passes! :bangwall: Do you know how many touchdown receptions he had last year? ONE - against Wake Forrest!

Devin Tompkins deserves to start over him based on his production and better overall athleticism. That is all.

ususports

Post by ususports » April 14th, 2020, 6:02 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 5:24 pm
I just got so tired of him last year never being open
So what were you watching the 56 times he got open enough and made the catch?

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » April 14th, 2020, 8:09 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

No, I don't have any relatives on the team and I have nothing against him personally (I will root for him and any Aggie on the field). I just got so tired of him last year never being open and dropping so many wide-open passes! :bangwall: Do you know how many touchdown receptions he had last year? ONE - against Wake Forrest!

Devin Tompkins deserves to start over him based on his production and better overall athleticism. That is all.
Every receiver dropped balls - I never said he was perfect but he is the go- to guy to convert on 3rd down. No one catches every single ball....and to be very honest EVERYONE’s production was pretty bad on offense with the exception of Siosi...as far as DT, lol maybe there are reasons he didn’t start over J...not that I have any insight or anything.
But let me also educate u on a lil football tidbit....Jordan and Siosi were talked alot about in pre-season which in turn made them the highest scouted players by the opposing teams, so guess what that means....more people were defending Jordan and Siosi then when DT was able to catch a ball - he was much more wide open. But DT also had a significant amount of misses and dropped balls.
I do not get on here and knock anyone’s football ability because I couldn’t compete with them on my best day - almost sure that stands true for someone such as yourself.
AND I AM NOT MAKING EXCUSES FOR HIM BECAUSE HE’S MY KID, anyone on here will tell you I am very critical when he messes up - you barely participate on this forum but when you do you have to talk $hit about a player who loves his school, team and the people around him?
He has been home working out and rehabbing twice a day, conducting meetings with his position group and NEWSFLASH - he is graduating in May but wants to stay one more season with the Aggies.
He tore his labrum at the Fresno St game and went back in the game and started every game afterwards to finish the season with his team...I say his athleticism is vastly higher than you are giving him credit for
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
USU78Turtle

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » April 14th, 2020, 8:22 pm

ususports wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 6:02 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
I just got so tired of him last year never being open
So what were you watching the 56 times he got open enough and made the catch?
Or when he really wasnt open and still made the catch?
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
USU78

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » April 14th, 2020, 8:57 pm

taniataylor wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 8:09 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Every receiver dropped balls - I never said he was perfect but he is the go- to guy to convert on 3rd down. No one catches every single ball....and to be very honest EVERYONE’s production was pretty bad on offense with the exception of Siosi...as far as DT, lol maybe there are reasons he didn’t start over J...not that I have any insight or anything.
But let me also educate u on a lil football tidbit....Jordan and Siosi were talked alot about in pre-season which in turn made them the highest scouted players by the opposing teams, so guess what that means....more people were defending Jordan and Siosi then when DT was able to catch a ball - he was much more wide open. But DT also had a significant amount of misses and dropped balls.
I do not get on here and knock anyone’s football ability because I couldn’t compete with them on my best day - almost sure that stands true for someone such as yourself.
AND I AM NOT MAKING EXCUSES FOR HIM BECAUSE HE’S MY KID, anyone on here will tell you I am very critical when he messes up - you barely participate on this forum but when you do you have to talk $hit about a player who loves his school, team and the people around him?
He has been home working out and rehabbing twice a day, conducting meetings with his position group and NEWSFLASH - he is graduating in May but wants to stay one more season with the Aggies.
He tore his labrum at the Fresno St game and went back in the game and started every game afterwards to finish the season with his team...I say his athleticism is vastly higher than you are giving him credit for
The catch he made against fresno was awesome. How he caught that ball and held on was a thing of beauty. The toughness to come back in after that was impressive. Send our aggie love to jordan, i think he will have a great senior year.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
taniataylor

Turtle

Post by Turtle » April 14th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Jordan Nathan is a beast, and anyone who says otherwise isn't paying attention. The guy is as Aggie as they come and is top tier as a USU WR.
These users thanked the author Turtle for the post (total 2):
AggiePTsstrasser

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 16th, 2020, 1:14 am

taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

First off, I am an active participant on this board and have enjoyed many of your posts in the past (I'm not kidding). Props to you for defending your son - as you should :golfclap: And I'm sure he does try really hard!

However, that doesn't change the fact that he's not our best option at the slot position and was a member of a wide receiving group that grossly under-performed last year! Here's a statistical breakdown of him vs Deven Thompkins who played fewer minutes and was targeted less:

Player REC YDS TD AVG
THOMPKINS 40 536 4 13.4
NATHAN 56 581 1 10.4
VAUGHNS (2018) 33 581 5 17.6

For context, I also added Aaron Vaughns' numbers who started for us in the slot in 2018. Vaughns had the same number of yards as Jordan but was targeted far fewer times (and rarely dropped balls that were thrown to him)! Reiterating what I said, I will ALWAYS root for Jordan or any other Aggie that takes the field. But clearly his production in 2019 (and some of the other receivers) was not good enough and we suffered because of it! Please tell him to prove me wrong in 2020! GO AGGIES!

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 16th, 2020, 6:50 am

I'd like to know how many balls were actually dropped by each receiver. Does anyone know catches versus catchable balls thrown to each receiver? If we're going to talk about how many balls were not caught, I think we should have all the facts.

I happened to be watching the WF game again when this discussion started, so I started it over and just watched just the offense. I know it's just one game and maybe his best, don't know yet, but at half, Jordan's had 7 balls thrown his way and caught 5, a couple of which that were pretty good catches. The two misses: the first was a lousy pass, way underthrown by Love that was intercepted in the endzone. I would hold it against Nathan if he was at fault or didn't fight hard enough, not the case here. The other missed ball was thrown high, he probably should have caught it, would have been tough.

There are a lot of factors to consider. Just because one receiver has a higher yards per catch, doesn't mean he's the better receiver, there's a lot that goes into it. Like leadership, knowing the offense, blocking downfield, running the correct route, running good routes, straight up effort all the time and not just sometimes, etc.

It also needs to be noted that Jordan doubled the number of catches from 2018 and damn near doubled his yards while still having pretty much the same yards per catch average. Speaking of yards per catch, that is heavily influenced by play calling and what a given receiver is asked to do within the offense. We should look at yards after catch as well. Again, not a perfect metric, like the rest, only part of a bigger story.

I agree that ALL the receivers and the rest of the offense could have played better, but there is a deeper story here than the yet to be determined number dropped balls. I'm not saying OrangeCounty is wrong, Jordan dropped balls he should have caught and he's not the fastest receiver on the team, but we're only talking about part of the story, using only part of the facts. Context for all of this is important.

Go Aggies!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 16th, 2020, 10:03 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

First off, I am an active participant on this board and have enjoyed many of your posts in the past (I'm not kidding). Props to you for defending your son - as you should :golfclap: And I'm sure he does try really hard!

However, that doesn't change the fact that he's not our best option at the slot position and was a member of a wide receiving group that grossly under-performed last year! Here's a statistical breakdown of him vs Deven Thompkins who played fewer minutes and was targeted less:

Player REC YDS TD AVG
THOMPKINS 40 536 4 13.4
NATHAN 56 581 1 10.4

For context, I also added Aaron Vaughns' numbers who started for us in the slot in 2018. Vaughns had the same number of yards as Jordan but was targeted far fewer times (and rarely dropped balls that were thrown to him)! Reiterating what I said, I will ALWAYS root for Jordan or any other Aggie that takes the field. But clearly his production in 2019 (and some of the other receivers) was not good enough and we suffered because of it! Please tell him to prove me wrong in 2020! GO AGGIES!
I’m shocked you aren’t permanently banned yet. Jordan is Deity around here. I’ve never seen a player get so much love with the possible exception of Brady Jardine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » April 16th, 2020, 3:35 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 1:14 am
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Player REC YDS TD AVG
THOMPKINS 40 536 4 13.4
NATHAN 56 581 1 10.4

Well...you cannot compare season 2018 to 2019. Totally different competition.

FYI Jordan was moved to play both outside and inside receiver this year and constantly switching in every game.

Starting spots aren't only based on athleticism, some has to be with being coach-able, attitude off the field and during practice, the willingness to adapt to change. I wont say anything else, just know I know things.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 16th, 2020, 10:30 pm

taniataylor wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 3:35 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Player REC YDS TD AVG
THOMPKINS 40 536 4 13.4
NATHAN 56 581 1 10.4

FYI Jordan was moved to play both outside and inside receiver this year and constantly switching in every game.

Starting spots aren't only based on athleticism, some has to be with being coach-able, attitude off the field and during practice, the willingness to adapt to change. I wont say anything else, just know I know things.
This is a fair point. My biggest frustration is why we weren't able to replicate 2018 success from a receiving standpoint. Obviously, some of it was on Love's decision making and him pressing. However, our 2019 receiving group (Jordan included) dropped way too many catchable balls and disappeared in big moments. If you have any insight into what was going on behind the scenes, I'd like to hear it.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
Aggie19

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 17th, 2020, 1:52 pm

All I know is that I proudly wear my Jordan Nathan-Utah State Jersey with pride at the games

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 25th, 2020, 12:52 am

From the Athletic: https://theathletic.com/1770798/2020/04 ... nfl-draft/

"NFC scout: “He (Jordan Love) has the most physical upside of any of these guys. The great ones make it look easy. He makes it look easy. He’s an effortless thrower. He played with nobody around him. This year he was just out there winging it trying to make plays to win games. Did he develop some bad habits? Yeah, of course, he did. But you can rein that in. It’s (easier) to get guys that like to play it safe and check down and be chain-movers. It’s hard to get those guys that push the ball down the field. He’s the only quarterback I ever scouted who will throw into bigger windows as a pro than he did in college. Those guys did not get open for him. If he ends up outside the top 10 we could be saying, ‘How the heck did Jordan Love last that long?’ He’s just got that play-making ability. … He played with nobody around him. Lost an NFL tight end (Dax Raymond), lost an NFL running back (Darwin Thompson). People knock his decision-making. He was 32-6 (touchdown to interception ratio) in 2018 and 21-17 this year. That’s not decision-making. That’s a guy trying to make plays to win games. … He’s really cool. He’s got a nice calm about him. If anyone says he didn’t play well against LSU, lose credibility for that person. He played well against LSU, and his guys let him down. He put the ball on the money and guys were dropping balls on him. The talent discrepancy on that field that day was enormous.”
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
ViAggie

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » April 25th, 2020, 12:18 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:52 am

"NFC scout: “He (Jordan Love) has the most physical upside of any of these guys. The great ones make it look easy. He makes it look easy. He’s an effortless thrower. He played with nobody around him. This year he was just out there winging it trying to make plays to win games. Did he develop some bad habits? Yeah, of course, he did. But you can rein that in. It’s (easier) to get guys that like to play it safe and check down and be chain-movers. It’s hard to get those guys that push the ball down the field. He’s the only quarterback I ever scouted who will throw into bigger windows as a pro than he did in college. Those guys did not get open for him. If he ends up outside the top 10 we could be saying, ‘How the heck did Jordan Love last that long?’ He’s just got that play-making ability. … He played with nobody around him. Lost an NFL tight end (Dax Raymond), lost an NFL running back (Darwin Thompson). People knock his decision-making. He was 32-6 (touchdown to interception ratio) in 2018 and 21-17 this year. That’s not decision-making. That’s a guy trying to make plays to win games. … He’s really cool. He’s got a nice calm about him. If anyone says he didn’t play well against LSU, lose credibility for that person. He played well against LSU, and his guys let him down. He put the ball on the money and guys were dropping balls on him. The talent discrepancy on that field that day was enormous.”

I swear, once this season starts, you will eat your words. You really seem to think my Jordan was our biggest problem? Lol lol.....

gomretat

Post by gomretat » April 25th, 2020, 12:27 pm

taniataylor wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:18 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:52 am

I swear, once this season starts, you will eat your words. You really seem to think my Jordan was our biggest problem? Lol lol.....
Blaming it on our receivers is a simplistic and easy excuse by the national media for why Love's numbers were so far off from the year before. I dont think most people who follow the Aggies buy that at all. There were a number of things not right on the offense last year including some bad decisions by Love himself.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 25th, 2020, 12:37 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 10:30 pm
taniataylor wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 3:35 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Player REC YDS TD AVG
THOMPKINS 40 536 4 13.4
NATHAN 56 581 1 10.4

This is a fair point. My biggest frustration is why we weren't able to replicate 2018 success from a receiving standpoint. Obviously, some of it was on Love's decision making and him pressing. However, our 2019 receiving group (Jordan included) dropped way too many catchable balls and disappeared in big moments. If you have any insight into what was going on behind the scenes, I'd like to hear it.
Why start this Orange? Nathan has been one of the top WRs every year he has been here. If you don't think he will and should start next year then you are CRAZY! He is gonna be our top option this year. We do have good young bucks like Thompkins, Carter, etc but Nathan has the experience, leadership, and skill. And also our whole offense as a whole struggled last year and honestly I can't remember many times Nathan dropped the ball. The number of receptions by Nathan sums it up. He maybe didn't have as many big plays with TD's but he was critical in short down situations.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 25th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Nathan had some big drops, but he also has some spectacular plays. He wasn’t the problem with our offense, far from it. Nathan, in my opinion, was also playing out of position.

I too think it is lazy to blame Love’s decline in production on the talent around him.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » April 25th, 2020, 3:13 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 2:35 pm
Nathan had some big drops, but he also has some spectacular plays. He wasn’t the problem with our offense, far from it. Nathan, in my opinion, was also playing out of position.

I too think it is lazy to blame Love’s decline in production on the talent around him.

This is more reality. He is not perfect, but he is not the only reason for the low production.
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
ThunderAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic