Anyone have access to J Love article?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
LoveMyAggies

Anyone have access to J Love article?

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 29th, 2020, 6:55 am

See link

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto ... love-risky

Share the J Love text?

Sent from Mars using Tapatalk

AgsRock
Has thanked: 0

Re: Anyone have access to J Love article?

Post by AgsRock » March 29th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Jordan Love, Utah State Aggies
Scouts Inc. overall ranking: 22
Mean projection in Years 3-5: 57 DYAR
Bust (less than 500 DYAR): 64%
Adequate starter (500-1499 DYAR): 23%
Upper tier (1500-2500 DYAR): 10%
Elite (greater than 2500 DYAR): 2%

Scouts are high on Love's arm talent and smooth release, but his final year of college was quite unimpressive. Thanks in part to 17 interceptions with only 20 touchdowns, his already mediocre 7.2 yards per attempt number becomes 6.4 adjusted yards per attempt. Over the past decade, the only top-100 pick with a lower adjusted yards per attempt in his final college season was C.J. Beathard. Love had this poor performance against the easiest schedule of pass defenses faced by any of this year's top quarterback prospects.

But there's an asterisk here, which is that Love's performance declined dramatically between his sophomore and junior seasons. In 2018, Love had a far more impressive 9.4 adjusted yards per attempt, with 32 touchdowns and six interceptions. If Love had come out a year ago, he would have had a higher projection (420 DYAR). Teams considering Love in this year's draft need to watch two years' worth of film and figure out what changed for him in 2019.

AgsRock

Post by AgsRock » March 29th, 2020, 7:26 pm

That was a copy and past of the ESPN+ article.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » March 29th, 2020, 8:24 pm

Football forum?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » April 2nd, 2020, 9:54 pm

Just had an update on Jordan Love from my two scout buddies who were at the NFL combine. There has been a positive upward shift. I spoke with with them at the beginning of the 2019 season and they had Jordan going in the 4th or 5th round. This did not sit well with the posters on this board.

After the season scouts my friends included still had him at Round 4 or 5. After his performance in our Kent State bowl game and Senior Bowl week he got upgraded to the 2nd or 3rd Round. According to my friends he "killed" it at the combine impressing all scouts with the exception one who is to remain unnamed. That unnamed NFL coach described Jordan's combine performance as inconsistent and doubted if Jordan could actually play under center. I am told that the combine this year was a sh*t show - a lot of scouts and coaches boozing and playing with prostitutes...more than any past year. The one dissenting coach who was not impressed with Jordan supposedly had been out drinking all night and was either hungover or drunk during Jordan's throwing workout. Aside from that all were salivating and the consensus is he has moved ahead of Justin Herbert and is sitting at number 3 QB behind Burrow and Tagovailoa. (They really like Tua's accuracy).

They said Jordan was better than Herbert on all accounts with the exception of speed. Some clocked Herbert at a 4.65 40 ...his official time being 4.69. Jordan's official time being 4.74. Even so Jordan graded out as the better athlete - based heavily on his ability to move easily in and out of the pocket and throw on the run. I was also told that hours and hours and hours were spent watching film comparing Jordan's last season with the season before. The general opinion is that the 2018 season was so spectacular it is being given premium weight and the regression last season is not being as heavily weighted as published in the media. As they mentioned before and I posted earlier the blame for that regression is on the limited talents of our receivers...including tight ends. They were specific in stating that Repp did not deliver as expected. Scouts were really taken by the Jordan Love/Dax Raymond combo with Dax being instrumental to Jordan's success. I asked them where he will be drafted...and all they would say is "3rd QB" but would not divulge where or what team. Apparently that is not entirely fixed given the stellar wide receiver talent in this years draft many of of which could dominate the 1st round. Long and short as of today Jordan stands as the #3 QB in the draft. He is truly a spectacular talent and we were so fortunate to have him...both as a player and representative of our university.
These users thanked the author Mediocre at Best for the post (total 3):
QuackAttackAggieJSHarveyMachismo

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 2nd, 2020, 10:53 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 9:54 pm
I spoke with with them at the beginning of the 2019 season and they had Jordan going in the 4th or 5th round. This did not sit well with the posters on this board.
It “didn’t sit well” because I knew you and your scout friends were 100% wrong. You aren’t the only one here with “sources” and “connections”.

Love was never 4th or 5th round. After the Manning passing academy this summer he was already being slated as a 2nd round pick at worst.

All your post is exactly what many around here have known and been saying for the last few months already.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 4):
QuackAttackAggie2004AGthegreendalegelfAggieFBObsession

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » April 2nd, 2020, 11:13 pm

Roy: Respectfully not sure I am so wrong...a different perspective maybe but not necessarily wrong. He started out the 2019 season at 4 or 5 and ended the season at 4 or 5. His status has risen significantly since then. My sources have been pretty accurate as is the information I am posting. I am also well aware that others like yourself have other reliable sources and connections that may see things differently. Where we can agree is that Jordan is an amazing talent. I am only offering perspective - a limited one - from two of many scouts who have been very engaged in evaluating the 2020 draft QBs.

"One team source said they had a fourth-/fifth-round grade on Love. A few other teams said they had Love graded in the mid-rounds, but the team that likes him enough to draft him could do it in the early rounds because he has a starting skill set."

It cant be any clearer than that.
These users thanked the author Mediocre at Best for the post:
QuackAttackAggie

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 3rd, 2020, 6:28 am

I have watched Love shoot up the mock draft boards, and I have been left to sit here and wonder what the hell just happened.

Two years ago we watched a plucky young man throw dimes all over the field and elevate his game to a level rarely if ever seen at Utah State.

This past year was an absolute (I can't express myself without swearing) show where we fell apart in games we should have won and didn’t show up for games we had to win. Heck, we couldn’t even throw a simple out route.

If Jordan Love is the #3 QB in the draft, and I believe he is that good, than what did we watch last year? College football is all about the experience level of your QB. So why did we struggle so badly last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 3rd, 2020, 7:13 am

Just saw Rex Ryan say he thinks Herbert will be drafted before Love.

I heard he didn't like Jordan's footwork 😯

Go Aggies!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 3rd, 2020, 8:36 am

Mediocre at Best wrote:Roy: Respectfully not sure I am so wrong...a different perspective maybe but not necessarily wrong. He started out the 2019 season at 4 or 5 and ended the season at 4 or 5. His status has risen significantly since then. My sources have been pretty accurate as is the information I am posting. I am also well aware that others like yourself have other reliable sources and connections that may see things differently. Where we can agree is that Jordan is an amazing talent. I am only offering perspective - a limited one - from two of many scouts who have been very engaged in evaluating the 2020 draft QBs.

"One team source said they had a fourth-/fifth-round grade on Love. A few other teams said they had Love graded in the mid-rounds, but the team that likes him enough to draft him could do it in the early rounds because he has a starting skill set."

Everybody can have different opinions but your scouts were certainly in a minuscule minority. They were about the only two who thought he “started out 2019 at 4 or 5”.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » April 3rd, 2020, 9:00 am

2004 - I agree completely. What made it worth posting was those were surprising if not shocking outlier opinions at the start. I am really interested in Rex Ryan's take...Herbert before Love...not liking Jordan's footwork. Of course I may be biased but my opinion is had Jordan had the elite receivers Burrow and Tua had for last season...he would be the #1 QB.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 3rd, 2020, 9:03 am

Mediocre at Best wrote:2004 - I agree completely. What made it worth posting was those were surprising if not shocking outlier opinions at the start. I am really interested in Rex Ryan's take...Herbert before Love...not liking Jordan's footwork. Of course I may be biased but my opinion is had Jordan had the elite receivers Burrow and Tua had for last season...he would be the #1 QB.
For sure. It’s good to read different view points. Keep them coming.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 3rd, 2020, 9:18 am

Mediocre at Best wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 11:13 pm
Roy: Respectfully not sure I am so wrong...a different perspective maybe but not necessarily wrong. He started out the 2019 season at 4 or 5 and ended the season at 4 or 5. His status has risen significantly since then. My sources have been pretty accurate as is the information I am posting. I am also well aware that others like yourself have other reliable sources and connections that may see things differently. Where we can agree is that Jordan is an amazing talent. I am only offering perspective - a limited one - from two of many scouts who have been very engaged in evaluating the 2020 draft QBs.

You are an awesome Aggie, Mediocre at Best, so I apologize for the pwnage that's about to happen in this post. I think we need to revisit the things that were said and the posts that were made though.

I don't know doubt your sources. I just doubt they actually really have any clue as to what the reality is. Do you really believe Love skyrocketed up 5 rounds in the draft based off his performance this year? He's always had this high grade since this past summer.

These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 3rd, 2020, 9:22 am

Mediocre at Best wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 9:00 am
2004 - I agree completely. What made it worth posting was those were surprising if not shocking outlier opinions at the start. I am really interested in Rex Ryan's take...Herbert before Love...not liking Jordan's footwork. Of course I may be biased but my opinion is had Jordan had the elite receivers Burrow and Tua had for last season...he would be the #1 QB.
That was a joke, due to Rex's foot fetish. Look it up. 🙂

In all seriousness, he liked Herbert's athleticism and his size. Likes his arm, thinks he'll be a star. He didn't say much about Love, thinks he's a good QB, just prefers Herbert.

Go Aggies!

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » April 3rd, 2020, 9:38 am

Roy - No apology needed. I welcome and enjoy your posts. As 2004Ag pointed out my sources are definitely the minority but not necessarily out of touch with reality. That also does not mean they are correct in their assessment but others seem to have shared their less than full endorsement..they may have been extreme and out of touch at the outset of the season but certainly according to some may have been prophetic...assuming the opinions cited in the following article link below are viable then Jordan has indeed had an amazing upward trajectory since the end of the season. Again enjoy the exchanges.

https://www.walterfootball.com/draft2020QB.php

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » April 3rd, 2020, 9:44 am

Aggie 19 - Had no idea Rex had that proclivity. Appreciate any humor especially good humor during these recent times. Still find Rex's assessment interesting and wish he had disclosed more detail...but it sounds like it is no more complex than simple preference.
These users thanked the author Mediocre at Best for the post:
Aggie19

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » April 3rd, 2020, 11:02 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 9:18 am
Mediocre at Best wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 11:13 pm

You are an awesome Aggie, Mediocre at Best, so I apologize for the pwnage that's about to happen in this post. I think we need to revisit the things that were said and the posts that were made though.

I don't know doubt your sources. I just doubt they actually really have any clue as to what the reality is. Do you really believe Love skyrocketed up 5 rounds in the draft based off his performance this year? He's always had this high grade since this past summer.

Thanks for reminding me of this, I needed a good laugh. As if I don't know what "scouts" are saying about pro prospects :)
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
Roy McAvoy

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » April 3rd, 2020, 6:55 pm

dyedblue wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 6:28 am
I have watched Love shoot up the mock draft boards, and I have been left to sit here and wonder what the hell just happened.

Two years ago we watched a plucky young man throw dimes all over the field and elevate his game to a level rarely if ever seen at Utah State.

This past year was an absolute (I can't express myself without swearing) show where we fell apart in games we should have won and didn’t show up for games we had to win. Heck, we couldn’t even throw a simple out route.

If Jordan Love is the #3 QB in the draft, and I believe he is that good, than what did we watch last year? College football is all about the experience level of your QB. So why did we struggle so badly last year?

And the experience level of that QB was why the Aggies had a winning season.

1. He was playing with 8 new starters, including 4 of 5 o-lineman, and 4-5 top receivers and damn good NFL RB.
2. He was playing with an OC who didn't give a damn and didn't learn the O, took out the previous OC counter plays, and didn't install anything to address the short yardage game.
3. The Aggies eliminated the option in the RPO and let 4 guys control the run and pass rush while 7 guys sat back and played pass first reads.
4. The DC transformed a solid big play defense into a laughing stock.

In short Love had to do everything against defenses that knew what was coming, could jam receivers, short and play over the top, and with a banged up O line with no right tackle and a major center exchange problem. As analysts are saying Love is probably the only QB in the draft who threw into tighter windows in college than he will in the NFL.

Love has some things that need correcting. Presnap zone and man reads and seeing LBs drop underneath. But I think those are correctable. We'll see but to put all of the blame on him for the offensive woes ignores that football depends on 10 other guys and coaches that care. Talking about Sanford here.

It will be interesting to see how it goes. Give him the right situation and I think the sky is the limit. Maybe he'll be a bust too.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
AggiePT

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 4th, 2020, 9:54 am

hickaggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 6:55 pm
dyedblue wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 6:28 am

And the experience level of that QB was why the Aggies had a winning season.

1. He was playing with 8 new starters, including 4 of 5 o-lineman, and 4-5 top receivers and damn good NFL RB.
2. He was playing with an OC who didn't give a damn and didn't learn the O, took out the previous OC counter plays, and didn't install anything to address the short yardage game.
3. The Aggies eliminated the option in the RPO and let 4 guys control the run and pass rush while 7 guys sat back and played pass first reads.
4. The DC transformed a solid big play defense into a laughing stock.

In short Love had to do everything against defenses that knew what was coming, could jam receivers, short and play over the top, and with a banged up O line with no right tackle and a major center exchange problem. As analysts are saying Love is probably the only QB in the draft who threw into tighter windows in college than he will in the NFL.

Love has some things that need correcting. Presnap zone and man reads and seeing LBs drop underneath. But I think those are correctable. We'll see but to put all of the blame on him for the offensive woes ignores that football depends on 10 other guys and coaches that care. Talking about Sanford here.

It will be interesting to see how it goes. Give him the right situation and I think the sky is the limit. Maybe he'll be a bust too.
I agree with ☝🏼, but I’d like to expand on how big of an effect the O-line had last year.

We started out the year replacing 4-5 OL with majority of freshmen and Sophs playing. THEN we were hit with injuries which only enhanced our problem with having an inexperienced line.

Opposing teams were able to drop 7-8 players into coverage and still get good pressure on Love. No quarterback is going to succeed against that.

There were three games where we were able to give Jordan Love enough time to throw: Fresno State, Kent State, and San Diego State (which was unexpected). These three games he threw 90/125 (72%) , 998 yard s, 5tds, 1int (which was a good pass, but Jaylen Warren was hit right after he caught the ball and the ball went up into another defender’s hands).

Point is, the games we were able to give Jordan love sold protection, he was able to put up the type of numbers we’d expect him to, but the games we didn’t provide adequate protection, he struggled.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
AggiePT

Locked Previous topicNext topic