"Jordan Love is a top 10 pick"

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

"Jordan Love is a top 10 pick"

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 28th, 2020, 1:20 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 3):
TrueAggiemansstrasseraggies22

ThunderAggie

Re:

Post by ThunderAggie » February 28th, 2020, 7:36 am

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0 ... 76343f99d2

Here is his combine highlights from NFL.com
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 2):
MachismoJjoey52

ViAggie

Re:

Post by ViAggie » February 28th, 2020, 2:45 pm

MONEY (and lots of it)

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re:

Post by aggies22 » February 28th, 2020, 2:57 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 1:20 am

I found this take from Jordan Palmer to be quite insightful.

bluegrouse

Re:

Post by bluegrouse » February 29th, 2020, 2:42 pm

April 23 cannot get here soon enough. Are there any more showcases for him between now and then or is the combine the last? Wondering if he has other opportunities to raise or lower his stock at this point. I think he done about as well as he could have possibly done to this point. Excited to cheer for him on Sundays!

donlarson8

Re: "Jordan Love is a top 10 pick"

Post by donlarson8 » March 1st, 2020, 3:44 pm

bluegrouse wrote:April 23 cannot get here soon enough. Are there any more showcases for him between now and then or is the combine the last? Wondering if he has other opportunities to raise or lower his stock at this point. I think he done about as well as he could have possibly done to this point. Excited to cheer for him on Sundays!
Still has USU pro day

Aggie84025

Re:

Post by Aggie84025 » March 1st, 2020, 4:28 pm

How did Woody do at the combine?

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » March 1st, 2020, 6:50 pm

David Woodward, Utah State. Woodward is a smart player that gets off blocks really well. However, teams will find it difficult to look passed his below average 40-yard dash time.

AggiePT

Re:

Post by AggiePT » March 1st, 2020, 8:29 pm

Everything I’m reading is saying he didn’t test all that well. I’m not all that surprised, I don’t think his value as a playmaker is due to physical traits as much as it is his nose for the ball. Hopefully scouts are putting in some time looking at his film, because he is a baller that jumps off the tape every play. He’s a difference maker in game.

Aggie84025

Re:

Post by Aggie84025 » March 1st, 2020, 8:52 pm

Yep he was never going to wow with his physical traits. The guy's a complete baller and if he can stay healthy he will be productive in the NFL. They need to look no further than last year when he was healthy our defense was a lot better and when got injured and sat out the last half of the season we were pretty much toast.

GameFAQSAggie

Re:

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 1st, 2020, 9:17 pm

WAAggie wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 6:50 pm
David Woodward, Utah State. Woodward is a smart player that gets off blocks really well. However, teams will find it difficult to look passed his below average 40-yard dash time.

frankiesaysrelax

Re:

Post by frankiesaysrelax » March 2nd, 2020, 4:20 pm

Back to the headline topic, I just read this little blurb from Peter King on Yahoo sports. Pretty interesting take and one a lot of us probably already kind of figured.

"Love for Jordan Love: I stopped in my tracks walking by a TV on Thursday night, hearing NFL Network’s Marc Ross saying of Utah State quarterback Jordan Love, “His potential far exceeds Tua.” So I found Ross, 11 years a top personnel executive with the Giants, and asked for an explanation.

“If you actually watch Jordan on tape, watch the traits he has, the playmaking ability, the innate feel for the game, the feel for the pocket, the poise, that will transfer well to the NFL,” Ross said. “When you would watch him every game, there were those ‘oh my gosh’ plays that you just have to keep rewinding . . . I have been banging his drum for a while saying that he was my second favorite guy. When you watch Utah State and Jordan Love’s cast, he was under siege every play, just about. With Tua, or Joe Burrow, they have layup plays where the scheme, the protection’s there, there’s a wide receiver open every time.

“Jordan Love didn’t have any layups in his offense. He’s got these receivers who will be nowhere close to NFL receivers who are tightly covered. He has to overcome all that on every play. Whereas, the Tuas and Joe Burrows, they just really have to make five or six tough plays a game, three-pointers. Jordan Love, every play for him is a three-pointer, or beating his man off the dribble to try to score.”"
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Sl7vk

Re:

Post by Sl7vk » March 2nd, 2020, 4:33 pm

^^^^^ So true!

AggiePT

Re: Re:

Post by AggiePT » March 2nd, 2020, 4:46 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 4:20 pm
Back to the headline topic, I just read this little blurb from Peter King on Yahoo sports. Pretty interesting take and one a lot of us probably already kind of figured.

"Love for Jordan Love: I stopped in my tracks walking by a TV on Thursday night, hearing NFL Network’s Marc Ross saying of Utah State quarterback Jordan Love, “His potential far exceeds Tua.” So I found Ross, 11 years a top personnel executive with the Giants, and asked for an explanation.

“If you actually watch Jordan on tape, watch the traits he has, the playmaking ability, the innate feel for the game, the feel for the pocket, the poise, that will transfer well to the NFL,” Ross said. “When you would watch him every game, there were those ‘oh my gosh’ plays that you just have to keep rewinding . . . I have been banging his drum for a while saying that he was my second favorite guy. When you watch Utah State and Jordan Love’s cast, he was under siege every play, just about. With Tua, or Joe Burrow, they have layup plays where the scheme, the protection’s there, there’s a wide receiver open every time.

“Jordan Love didn’t have any layups in his offense. He’s got these receivers who will be nowhere close to NFL receivers who are tightly covered. He has to overcome all that on every play. Whereas, the Tuas and Joe Burrows, they just really have to make five or six tough plays a game, three-pointers. Jordan Love, every play for him is a three-pointer, or beating his man off the dribble to try to score.”"
I agree with this take. It was rare for Love to have an open receiver this last season. It was like the only chance we had to score was if we had a huge chunk play to start the drive. Love knew this and was doing everything he could. Very few layup type plays for him to take advantage of.

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » March 2nd, 2020, 9:03 pm

The two biggest things about Jordan from last year that could have really changed things as far as his TD in int ratio is receivers not dropping home run balls, there were a lot of them, and adjusting 1 play calk. He was intercepted 4 times on the exact same play to a receiver on a quick comeback on the right side. This could have easily been changed by making the receiver show the same and make a double move or a hitch after we saw the defender try to jump the route. That change was never made.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie

Re:

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 2nd, 2020, 10:01 pm

Gretsch wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 9:03 pm
He was intercepted 4 times on the exact same play to a receiver on a quick comeback on the right side.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
Gretsch

gomretat

Re:

Post by gomretat » March 3rd, 2020, 9:47 am

I wonder how his teammates feel about the praise for Jordan that always throws them under the bus. Maybe it is true but I bet it gets old.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re:

Post by NVAggie » March 3rd, 2020, 10:12 am

It isn't Jordan Love saying that stuff. It is the opinion of those watching film. They don't have to like it, but it is an opinion. I don't fault Love for that at all.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 3rd, 2020, 11:30 am

gomretat wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 9:47 am
I wonder how his teammates feel about the praise for Jordan that always throws them under the bus. Maybe it is true but I bet it gets old.
If they don't like it, they have nobody to blame but themselves. If they don't want to hear it, they should get better. It's the truth. And it isn't Jordan throwing them under the bus.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

AggiePT

Re:

Post by AggiePT » March 3rd, 2020, 12:05 pm

I really don't think anybody is throwing them under the bus. As a whole, the offense under-performed last season. It seems pretty clear and objective to me that Jordan had less time to throw and less separation by pass catchers the majority of the time. If the team isn't capable of recognizing this and using it as motivation for next season, we will not get any better. Complacency = Mediocrity

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » March 3rd, 2020, 9:28 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 11:30 am
gomretat wrote:
If they don't like it, they have nobody to blame but themselves. If they don't want to hear it, they should get better. It's the truth. And it isn't Jordan throwing them under the bus.
No one said Jordan is throwing anyone under the bus. Those praising Jordan are doing the throwing. But even then, there is one of two things going on in the heads of those who find themselves under the bus: 1-"they're certainly not talking about me! I'm freaking awesome." Or 2-"yep, the starting __ for Alabama/LSU is probably a better player than I am."

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » March 4th, 2020, 12:59 pm

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 9:28 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 3rd, 2020, 11:30 am
gomretat wrote:
No one said Jordan is throwing anyone under the bus. Those praising Jordan are doing the throwing. But even then, there is one of two things going on in the heads of those who find themselves under the bus: 1-"they're certainly not talking about me! I'm freaking awesome." Or 2-"yep, the starting __ for Alabama/LSU is probably a better player than I am."
I think the receivers get a bit of bad wrap in all of this but as a group they were average at best and did have some big drops. There were a couple games where it was obvious that guys were not getting open and that doesn't even factor in what LSU did to them. If you watch the LSU tape both the 1st pick in the endzone and desperation throw late in the game for the last pick were 50/50 balls where the defenders were just better athletes. Love could have took the sack or thrown the ball away but I don't blame him for taking chances. And then he had a beautiful post TD just dropped earlier.

But the real tragedy was the offensive line and offensive coaching that allowed our run game to be shut down by 4 guys and a supposed read option that no one was biting on. Combine that with the swiss cheese defense requiring Love to get TDs every drive to keep up and the right tackle problem and Love never had a chance.

Colombi will be a great QB and maybe he could have helped by actually being instructed to keep the ball on TRO read but I think we underappreciate how good Love was in an impossible situation for any QB. Yes, he had some big mistakes. He struggled to see underneath zone presnap and dropping LBs post snap but part of that is what happens when a team can simply dedicate 7 guys to pass first reads.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Aggie19

Mr. Sneelock

Re:

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 4th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Here's the thing. Our offense last year underperformed, with perhaps the best QB we have ever had and a likely first round pick. So apparently it wasn't primarily his fault. That means that it was either the players around him or the coaches. Maybe both. Take your pick.

Without Jordan Love last year, our offense may have been disastrous. What will it look like next year?

Formerly TulsAGGIE

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » March 4th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 3:17 pm
Here's the thing. Our offense last year underperformed, with perhaps the best QB we have ever had and a likely first round pick. So apparently it wasn't primarily his fault. That means that it was either the players around him or the coaches. Maybe both. Take your pick.

Without Jordan Love last year, our offense may have been disastrous. What will it look like next year?
I think we’ll see a lot more Jet Sweeps next year. We ran it well in our last two games and Scarver, Thompkins and Nathan would all be able to run it well. Not to mention Jaylen Warren has shown to be an incredible lead blocker on the edge.

I’m expecting to see improvement on the offensive line with a focus on running the ball. If Mcgriff or Carter can turn into a solid possession receiver, I think we’ll be ok on the offensive side of the ball.

If anything, it’s our front 7 that scares me the most.

Locked Previous topicNext topic