Teams Asking About JLove 2019 Interceptions

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Big Blue in a China Shop

Teams Asking About JLove 2019 Interceptions

Post by Big Blue in a China Shop » February 26th, 2020, 11:35 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 875174002/

He had some good quotes in the article. Well thought out and not blaming it on everyone else.
These users thanked the author Big Blue in a China Shop for the post (total 2):
ViAggiesstrasser

ThunderAggie

Re: Teams Asking About JLove 2019 Interceptions

Post by ThunderAggie » February 26th, 2020, 11:43 am

From what I have read, Jordan Love is killing it in the interviews. Had some good stuff to say about Gruden and then all these articles came out about how Jordan Love wants to play for the Raiders...lol. But if Jordan has a good showing in the combine, that combined with his good measurables and good interviews could land him pretty high. It’s crazy that we have an Aggie grabbing national attention and a possible top 15 pick!!
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 2):
ViAggiesstrasser

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 26th, 2020, 1:07 pm

And to think, when he committed before his senior year of high school, everybody said "who?".
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
ViAggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 27th, 2020, 11:34 am

aggies22 wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 1:07 pm
And to think, when he committed before his senior year of high school, everybody said "who?".
Lol at the people that insisted on Kent Myers. Kent Myers lost me when he bragged about his stats in a loss. TBH was never much of a fan.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
aggies22MrBiggle

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » February 27th, 2020, 1:47 pm

I have to chuckle...I was one of those big Kent Myers proponents. Really smitten with his high school film and really thought Yost could get in his head and elevate his game. Never happened...realized in the final season he lacked football IQ. Jordan Love in contrast...I was not at all impressed with his high school play and did not expect much...went so far to say on this board he was not DI caliber...wrong again...what an amazing talent physical attributes, character, and IQ.

I caught a lot of grief from the fan board last September2019 sharing my conversation with two NFL scout buddies who had Jordan at a 4th or 5th round pick. Scouting reports as of January 2020 had Jordan graded as a 4th or 5th round pick. I spoke with both of these scouts this past week. Interesting conversation. One says as of now Jordan is a 2nd round pick the other has him going in the 3rd round. The latter said 3rd round not because of talent issues but because of the draft composition - not so much other qbs - but the other pressing position needs. He specifically mentioned the abundance of WR talents that may be the best in draft history and go early. Also apparently teams after the season are also less enthusiastic about Jake Fromm. Both agreed that Jordan's draft stock improved with his bowl game play, the senior bowl week as well, and the combine data. While the media is raising questions about the dismissed marijuana case they said none of the teams are breaking a sweat over it. They said it will have no bearing on his draft status.

I asked about the media reports that teams are concerned about his 2019 interceptions and both said the same thing. Yes it is a concern but like many of you on the board they attribute it to coaching changes, different offensive coordinator, less experienced O line etc. What surprised me is that they said it had more to do with a weak receiver group Siaosi Mariner not being exempt...they were especially critical of slot receivers...their biggest criticism was that the group was not adept at getting space and seldom created mismatches. Their opinion is this is what had the greatest negative impact on Jordan's play and that his decision making is really nowhere near as bad as what is being called into question. He actually graded out high on reading defenses during the 2018 season. I am inclined to agree that we need much improved play in the slot and that given we lack talented receivers Gary's move toward a slower paced more run oriented offense is prudent. It is also why I think Henry Colombi who is a better dual threat than Jordan will be golden next year.
These users thanked the author Mediocre at Best for the post:
aggies22

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » February 27th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 1:47 pm
I have to chuckle...I was one of those big Kent Myers proponents. Really smitten with his high school film and really thought Yost could get in his head and elevate his game. Never happened...realized in the final season he lacked football IQ. Jordan Love in contrast...I was not at all impressed with his high school play and did not expect much...went so far to say on this board he was not DI caliber...wrong again...what an amazing talent physical attributes, character, and IQ.

I caught a lot of grief from the fan board last September2019 sharing my conversation with two NFL scout buddies who had Jordan at a 4th or 5th round pick. Scouting reports as of January 2020 had Jordan graded as a 4th or 5th round pick. I spoke with both of these scouts this past week. Interesting conversation. One says as of now Jordan is a 2nd round pick the other has him going in the 3rd round. The latter said 3rd round not because of talent issues but because of the draft composition - not so much other qbs - but the other pressing position needs. He specifically mentioned the abundance of WR talents that may be the best in draft history and go early. Also apparently teams after the season are also less enthusiastic about Jake Fromm. Both agreed that Jordan's draft stock improved with his bowl game play, the senior bowl week as well, and the combine data. While the media is raising questions about the dismissed marijuana case they said none of the teams are breaking a sweat over it. They said it will have no bearing on his draft status.

I asked about the media reports that teams are concerned about his 2019 interceptions and both said the same thing. Yes it is a concern but like many of you on the board they attribute it to coaching changes, different offensive coordinator, less experienced O line etc. What surprised me is that they said it had more to do with a weak receiver group Siaosi Mariner not being exempt...they were especially critical of slot receivers...their biggest criticism was that the group was not adept at getting space and seldom created mismatches. Their opinion is this is what had the greatest negative impact on Jordan's play and that his decision making is really nowhere near as bad as what is being called into question. He actually graded out high on reading defenses during the 2018 season. I am inclined to agree that we need much improved play in the slot and that given we lack talented receivers Gary's move toward a slower paced more run oriented offense is prudent. It is also why I think Henry Colombi who is a better dual threat than Jordan will be golden next year.
I think if you analyze Jordan's interceptions last year they fall into several different categories only a couple of which are concerning going forward.

1. Obvious Receiver fault. 3 of the picks were either off the hands of the receiver or caused by two receivers running same area. One of the Wyoming picks was a forced pass to a TE. Bad decision and not perfect but TE should have caught it still and it bounced into LBs hands.

2. 1 pick- batted and picked against Wyoming. Partially Love's fault.

3. 1 Forced deep throw into coverage no real harm on third down against LSU. Aggies were down big. Basically a jump ball punt but of course the LSU better athlete won. No big deal.

4. 3 picks. Jump ball throws that we would have won last year but Jordan and receivers weren't in complete sync or receiver just got beat. More Jordan just forcing a ball that the reciever was outmatched on.

5. 2-3 Picks bad throws or receiver timing on out routes to right side.

6. 2-3 Picks-Bad prensnap coverage indentification (disguised man/zone) to right side outs.

7. 4 picks failing to see LBs dropping in zone.

Obviously the last issue is the one that is the most worrisome. The other issues can be cleaned up with a decent O line and receivers. I felt like the presnap failures were a result of the offensive playcalling as much as anything that allowed corners to scout those presnap throws and disguise the D presnap. The failure to see LB drops or other zone defenders needs to be addressed because NFL coordinators will exploit this to death. Maybe part of this was due to the way the Aggies ran their O and coached the reads in the spread.

All in all I think we don't give Jordan enough credit for last year. His coordinator ensured the RPO was ineffective by eliminating the actual reads resulting in the run game being shut down by 4 defenders. Our D was giving up points at a rate not thought humanly possible so Jordan needed to try to force the issue. The Aggies had a third string right tackle a gimpy left one, and a center who made every snap an adventure. That's even before the new receiving corp and an offensive coordinator who mailed it in and/or failed to understand the necessity of using the read game and misdirection to freeze LBs and safeties.

We'll see but if he can clean up the underneath vision issues I think he could be special.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
aggies22

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 27th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:I have to chuckle...I was one of those big Kent Myers proponents. Really smitten with his high school film and really thought Yost could get in his head and elevate his game. Never happened...realized in the final season he lacked football IQ. Jordan Love in contrast...I was not at all impressed with his high school play and did not expect much...went so far to say on this board he was not DI caliber...wrong again...what an amazing talent physical attributes, character, and IQ.

I can’t believe those scouts have a job if they think J Love is going 3rd. And it’s highly unlikely he lasts till the 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 27th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:

Thank you for sharing my Aggie brother!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 27th, 2020, 7:41 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:

It was me who gave you direct grief. I don't doubt your friends are Scouts, but they're clearly up in the night with their opinion of Love. He is going to go in the 1st round and I seriously doubt their credibility if they don't know that already. Here was my response to your post back in December:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 2:57 pm
Mediocre at Best wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 7:29 pm
Attended last weeks ASU and UA game in Tempe. Spoke with one scout who says most scouts grade him as a 4th round pick. This is still better than what I was told earlier in the season that he was a 5th round pick. He also said most advocate that he consider transfer to a P5 program to restore his draft stock. As the conversation went further it became clear that other than us in Cache Valley very few have much regard for GA as a head coach and an offensive mind.
I know you've posted before about your connection with "scouts" and I won't dispute it, but this is vastly different than what I've heard.

I've heard Jordan Love had a 1st round grade after the manning passing academy this summer and his year last year. Sure, he struggled this season and dropped, but it's still looking like 3rd round at latest and probably sooner. I don't think there's any way he falls to the 5th round.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 27th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Burrow’s off season/ pre-draft “QB developer” with Pat McAfee thinks Jordan Love is top 10. Primarily discussed Love and addressed McAfee’s interception concerns

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 27th, 2020, 9:14 pm

If they say it is lack of teams needing QBs Vegas thinks otherwise. Line is 4.5 o/u for QBs going in 1st round. I don’t think 5 QBs have been taken in the 1st round in at least the last ten years and I’m not sure when or if there have been. So to think money comes in at five at all makes it seem like a demand for them this year.

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » February 27th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Frankie not so much a lack of QBs the conflict is many good QBs and perhaps the best crop of receivers ever in the draft. Makes for a hard choice.
These users thanked the author Mediocre at Best for the post:
frankiesaysrelax

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » February 28th, 2020, 2:16 am

I have seen a few mock drafts without him in the first round recently so that does show it could be hit or miss. Maybe it will be a wait and see which QBs go early to before they make their decision. Hoping the whole class is deep enough to wait out until later.

Locked Previous topicNext topic