New Bowl Game

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

New Bowl Game

Post by aggies22 » February 26th, 2020, 10:58 am

A new bowl game has just been announced that pits a PAC-12 team against a Mountain West team. Starting this December.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: New Bowl Game

Post by USU78 » February 26th, 2020, 11:02 am

Last edited by USU78 on February 26th, 2020, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » February 26th, 2020, 11:02 am

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » February 26th, 2020, 11:03 am

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 26th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Uh yea we've known about it for a while, it replaces the LV Bowl which the MWC lost with the new LV Stadium.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 26th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Does anyone else find it completely unacceptable that the Mountain West cannot keep a bowl affiliation in Las Vegas or San Diego. You have two of the most desirable getaway cities in the country - especially for a mild weather, mid-winter road trip - and no MW teams playing in those games. How did they get hijacked?
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 6):
flying_scotsman2.0Donmanaggies22NVAggieViAggieAggieFBObsession

Eutaw St. Aggie

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 26th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Thompson is a wild man, that's for sure.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
sstrasser

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 26th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 4:20 pm
Does anyone else find it completely unacceptable that the Mountain West cannot keep a bowl affiliation in Las Vegas or San Diego. You have two of the most desirable getaway cities in the country - especially for a mild weather, mid-winter road trip - and no MW teams playing in those games. How did they get hijacked?
San Diego bowl got scrapped and UNLV is having a hard time getting to play games in their own stadium. I really think that another Vegas bowl should be in the works though. Dump the Potato Bowl and do a 2nd one in Vegas.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 5):
USUaggiedonlarson8aceofspadeskbAggieFBObsessionSwaggieAggie

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » February 27th, 2020, 1:03 am

Craig Thompson needs to spend less time greasing his hair and more time advancing the cause of the Mountain West. Our bowl games suck a**s, our refs are a joke, the tv revenue is less than other g5 conferences, we play in crappy time slots, many of the conference members do not contribute ANYTHING (I'm looking at you SJSU, Wyoming and New Mexico). What I don't understand is why he's not lobbying or putting more pressure on automatic inclusion into the BCS (I'd maybe team up and file suit against the NCAA to at least get the same revenue share for the BCS and the playoffs that the P5 conferences get).

Honestly, what has he done to benefit the conference during his tenure?
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
Jjoey52

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 27th, 2020, 6:37 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 1:03 am
Craig Thompson needs to spend less time greasing his hair and more time advancing the cause of the Mountain West. Our bowl games suck a**s, our refs are a joke, the tv revenue is less than other g5 conferences, we play in crappy time slots, many of the conference members do not contribute ANYTHING (I'm looking at you SJSU, Wyoming and New Mexico). What I don't understand is why he's not lobbying or putting more pressure on automatic inclusion into the BCS (I'd maybe team up and file suit against the NCAA to at least get the same revenue share for the BCS and the playoffs that the P5 conferences get).

Absolutely NOTHING for 11 schools. He's done plenty for Boise State.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
USU78MachismoJjoey52

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 27th, 2020, 7:09 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:Craig Thompson needs to spend less time greasing his hair and more time advancing the cause of the Mountain West. Our bowl games suck a**s, our refs are a joke, the tv revenue is less than other g5 conferences, we play in crappy time slots, many of the conference members do not contribute ANYTHING (I'm looking at you SJSU, Wyoming and New Mexico). What I don't understand is why he's not lobbying or putting more pressure on automatic inclusion into the BCS (I'd maybe team up and file suit against the NCAA to at least get the same revenue share for the BCS and the playoffs that the P5 conferences get).

How long has this post been in your drafts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
donlarson8

Hail Aggies!

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » February 27th, 2020, 8:42 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Wyoming has been to as many conference championship games as we have, and has won as many men's basketball conference tournaments as we have since the realignment. Their fans travel well and are passionate about the university. Hard to say that they don't belong in the MWC.

New Mexico has underperformed in football, obviously, but the basketball team is generally competitive. Craig Neal went 76-52 in his four years as coach (including one tournament appearance), and Paul Weir is one of the better coaches we have in the conference. UNM was looking like an at-large NCAA team this year before the suspensions this year.

SJSU is mostly indefensible, especially considering their prime location for recruiting players. I'm not expecting them to be at the top of the conference every year in every sport, but they can hardly muster a bowl-eligible football team and are potentially looking at their second- or third-best MWC team since realignment, but will win fewer than ten games.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
Jjoey52

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 27th, 2020, 9:16 am

aggies22 wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 6:37 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Spot on 22 spot on, absolutely spot on.. Boise played him like a drum and he must have enjoyed some magic when he sold the rest of the MWC Presidents on the unequal and long term liabilities the MWC was about to embrace with Transmission Tech.

Craig was the hero for a day when the "PROJECT" broke down, and he briefly drew a lot of water with the MWC. Those days are long gone as perhaps he should be.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
aggies22

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 27th, 2020, 10:07 am

aggies22 wrote:
Absolutely NOTHING for 11 schools. He's done plenty for Boise State.[/b]
He has done ONE thing for us, San Jose State, Fresno State, Nevada and Hawaii. Inviting us!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 27th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 26th, 2020, 4:20 pm
We'll get back the San Diego Bowl eventually after the new stadium is built. I wonder if they'll continue to have the Holiday Bowl built when the new Aztec Stadium is built, it's projected to be around 35K seating.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
sstrasser

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » February 27th, 2020, 1:40 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
What I don't understand is why he's not lobbying or putting more pressure on automatic inclusion into the BCS (I'd maybe team up and file suit against the NCAA to at least get the same revenue share for the BCS and the playoffs that the P5 conferences get).
Using what leverage? The NCAA doesn't have anything to do with the BCS and the playoffs. The P5 conferences, the networks and the bowls control that. NCAA is little more than a spectator. The G5s have a seat at the table, a theoretical shot at the playoff and one NY6 bowl slot to share, but they'll never have much more than that.

In the immortal words of Marlo Stanfield: You want it to be one way. But it's the other way.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Nobody here knows anything.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » March 5th, 2020, 12:22 pm

OKAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 1:40 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
What I don't understand is why he's not lobbying or putting more pressure on automatic inclusion into the BCS (I'd maybe team up and file suit against the NCAA to at least get the same revenue share for the BCS and the playoffs that the P5 conferences get).
Using what leverage? The NCAA doesn't have anything to do with the BCS and the playoffs. The P5 conferences, the networks and the bowls control that. NCAA is little more than a spectator. The G5s have a seat at the table, a theoretical shot at the playoff and one NY6 bowl slot to share, but they'll never have much more than that.

In the immortal words of Marlo Stanfield: You want it to be one way. But it's the other way.
That is spot on, many of the complaints in this thread are not all Hairs fault. including the new T.V. contract which is the second highest for the G-5 conferences. The bowl picture is a direct reflection of the quality of MWC schools and where we are located. BSU football is the only national brand, so that is a big problem. We could also be a one bid league in basketball this season. I do not think Hair is all that, but the T.V. contract is quite good bowl game payouts and quality are more a reflection of who we are and where we are.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » March 10th, 2020, 3:12 pm

I hate it when people sh!t on Wyoming. They are our close allies in this conference along with New Mexico and Colorado State. We have a lot of history with them and it wasn't that long ago that they were regularly handing us our a$$.

SJSU is indefensible. The conference should've added someone else instead, almost anyone.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » March 10th, 2020, 3:22 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 9:16 am
aggies22 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Spot on 22 spot on, absolutely spot on.. Boise played him like a drum and he must have enjoyed some magic when he sold the rest of the MWC Presidents on the unequal and long term liabilities the MWC was about to embrace with Transmission Tech.

Craig was the hero for a day when the "PROJECT" broke down, and he briefly drew a lot of water with the MWC. Those days are long gone as perhaps he should be.
Maybe if other MWC teams give Boise a few 5-7 seasons, this might change. Until USU and other teams outperform Boise rhere really is no valid complaint, just jealousy.
These users thanked the author Jjoey52 for the post:
NVAggie

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » March 10th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2020, 9:16 am
aggies22 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Maybe if other MWC teams give Boise a few 5-7 seasons, this might change. Until USU and other teams outperform Boise rhere really is no valid complaint, just jealousy.
But where BSU gets more money than any of the other members that will continue to be more and more unlikely; just like the money differential will continue to expand the gulf between G5/P5. MWC needs more schools to step up, but they slit their own throats when they agreed to pay out for a one trick debatably ‘national brand’ pony. IMO MWC better off to let them go and then equalize the payout. Give other schools a fair shake. The current system will mean the donkeys, and only the donkeys, will ever draw any national water. Even them going NY6 only brings in a pittance to the other schools. Boise keeps half or something like that while the rest gets divided 11 ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic