Recruiting

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SasquatchAggie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Recruiting

Post by SasquatchAggie » January 27th, 2020, 9:27 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 6:38 pm
slcagg wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 4:29 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 4:13 pm
slcagg wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 3:56 pm
On a side note, how did we not get a visit from Jake griffin where his dad played here but he visits BYU. Dad should have done better teaching him.
byu kids will always pray for the byu offer. Once that happens it's game over. Same story every year, just a different kid. I think he's going on a mission so he could still visit but I haven't really heard much about there being a mutual interest. I think there was interest initially. Here's a new name to keep on eye on. 3* OL Tai Marks from Mater Dei.
But his dad was an Aggie. Well he played here anyways.

That is an interesting name. Are we looking for a young oline guy?
He does play center. Center wasn't a super consistent spot for us last year.
Griffin took an unofficial visit to USU I believe during the Colorado State game. He wanted to be an Aggie and would have committed had we offered him a scholarship that weekend. We told him we didn't have a scholarship for him so him and his dad left pretty ticked off. The following week he picked up a couple of PAC-12 offers and went to Utah on a visit. We then decided we would offer him a scholarship but had already burned the bridge with his dad. His dad has been a donor all these years after playing at USU but won't be anymore. This kid wanted to be an Aggie and the coaches messed up big time.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 27th, 2020, 9:48 am

SasquatchAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 9:27 am
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
On a side note, how did we not get a visit from Jake griffin where his dad played here but he visits BYU. Dad should have done better teaching him.
byu kids will always pray for the byu offer. Once that happens it's game over. Same story every year, just a different kid. I think he's going on a mission so he could still visit but I haven't really heard much about there being a mutual interest. I think there was interest initially. Here's a new name to keep on eye on. 3* OL Tai Marks from Mater Dei.

Griffin took an unofficial visit to USU I believe during the Colorado State game. He wanted to be an Aggie and would have committed had we offered him a scholarship that weekend. We told him we didn't have a scholarship for him so him and his dad left pretty ticked off. The following week he picked up a couple of PAC-12 offers and went to Utah on a visit. We then decided we would offer him a scholarship but had already burned the bridge with his dad. His dad has been a donor all these years after playing at USU but won't be anymore. This kid wanted to be an Aggie and the coaches messed up big time.
That's not good.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 27th, 2020, 10:09 am

That’s too bad. Hate losing a donor and legacy kid.

Somehow we had an OL scholarship for the unheralded son of our much maligned DC, but not a legacy kid that was getting Pac-12 offers. Not a great look if the above is all true.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2020, 10:37 am

SasquatchAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

If true (I have no reason to believe it's not), that's too bad. Thank you for sharing my Aggie brother.

ususports

Post by ususports » January 27th, 2020, 10:52 am

SasquatchAggie wrote:
If he really wanted to be an Aggie, I highly doubt that he would turn down our scholarship offer even if it came a week or two later than he wanted. Someone who has their mind made up that they want to play for a specific school (as you implied) would not change their mind that fast. Cute story though.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 27th, 2020, 11:11 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 10:09 am

Somehow we had an OL scholarship for the unheralded son of our much maligned DC, but not a legacy kid that was getting Pac-12 offers. Not a great look if the above is all true.
Pretty sure the timing of this is off. Ena received his offer (as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure it is a schollie at this point) well after the CSU game, just as Griffin would have. I would be surprised if Ena got a call from Gary before Griffin did.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

SasquatchAggie

Post by SasquatchAggie » January 27th, 2020, 11:18 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 11:11 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 10:09 am

Pretty sure the timing of this is off. Ena received his offer (as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure it is a schollie at this point) well after the CSU game, just as Griffin would have. I would be surprised if Ena got a call from Gary before Griffin did.
I thought it was the Colorado State game but it could have been later in the year. It may have been the BYU game. Either way, he was told that we didn't have a scholarship for him and then when he started getting PAC-12 offers we decided we did have one for him. They felt like the only reason we decided to offer was because the big schools started to offer and that we didn't take the time to fully check him out. Our coaches were going to be going to his basketball game tomorrow night in Phoenix but I don't know if we still are since he committed to the stench.

loganaggie3

Post by loganaggie3 » January 27th, 2020, 11:26 am

I can confirm the Griffin details. Source level 9.9. First choice was USU. we didn’t offer until after PAC-12 offers were on the table. Utah State lost a donor and a recruit in this debacle.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 27th, 2020, 11:34 am

Well this is a kick in the nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 27th, 2020, 11:43 am

Sounds like something we'd hear during the Wells era, usefully Gary is all over these kinds of things. A little surprising. Bummer
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Go Aggies!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 27th, 2020, 11:53 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 10:37 am
SasquatchAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
slcagg wrote:

If true (I have no reason to believe it's not), that's too bad. Thank you for sharing my Aggie brother.
I'd be pissed too. Why ask him to visit if you don't have a scholarship for him? Maybe the staff was trying to play them and get them for free. I mean, they may have been thinking that his family donates and loves the Aggies so maybe they thought they could get the kid without using a scholarship.
If I were in the shoes of that dad (and I might be in about six years), I'd be pissed if that was their game. If they want me to essentially provide my son with a Daddy scholarship talk to me directly about it. Maybe even offer me a scholarship at the same time so that I know you feel strongly about wanting my son whether I pay his way or not.

Anyway... poorly handled.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 27th, 2020, 12:10 pm

I think the number one reason for not having a scholarship for Jake would likely be how many schollies are currently committed to OL. When you look at our depth chart, we bring back at least ten guys for the next two years.

I don't think we should put words in the coaches' mouths at this point and say that they wanted a booster to pick up the tab for a guy because he already likes the university.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 27th, 2020, 12:21 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 12:10 pm
I think the number one reason for not having a scholarship for Jake would likely be how many schollies are currently committed to OL. When you look at our depth chart, we bring back at least ten guys for the next two years.

I don't think we should put words in the coaches' mouths at this point and say that they wanted a booster to pick up the tab for a guy because he already likes the university.
Perhaps I may be wrong, but I believe that Jake is going on a LDS mission before he will be going to BYU, so why does not having a scholarship right now matter ?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 27th, 2020, 12:39 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Was it an official visit? That's what's confusing. If they didn't have a scholarship it makes no sense to have him come on an official visit. Either it wasn't an official visit, they were trying to do something clever, or they're just dishonest jerks. I hope it was no. 1.
Last edited by brownjeans on January 27th, 2020, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SasquatchAggie

Post by SasquatchAggie » January 27th, 2020, 12:54 pm

It was an unofficial visit.
These users thanked the author SasquatchAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22brownjeans

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2020, 1:05 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 12:21 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Perhaps I may be wrong, but I believe that Jake is going on a LDS mission before he will be going to BYU, so why does not having a scholarship right now matter ?
You are 100% correct. Since he's a mission kid it wouldn't have mattered if we had a schollie or not. There would just need to have one for him within the class of 2023.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 27th, 2020, 1:07 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 1:05 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

You are 100% correct. Since he's a mission kid it wouldn't have mattered if we had a schollie or not. There would just need to have one for him within the class of 2023.
Which makes the coaches’ flubbing of this all the more perplexing.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 27th, 2020, 1:09 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Oh well then we are just going to steal him back halfway through his service! Perfect plan.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 27th, 2020, 1:11 pm

I try not to pass judgement on something that I do not have all the facts on, but the fact we did not have a schollie for him until a week later gives me a lot of questions that I have no answer for. I will not pass blame with the little knowledge I have.

Also the fact that he is a mission kid and did not need a schollie makes this one hard to understand.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 27th, 2020, 1:18 pm

If the coaches just didn’t think he was worthy of a scholarship, that’s one thing. But all of the sudden coming up with a scholarship a few weeks later once he had Pac-12 offers makes it look more like they were interested but were maybe taking the kid for granted.

Like others have said, we don’t have all the facts. But if the information confirmed by multiple posters is true, it sure smells.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » January 27th, 2020, 1:32 pm

There are many former players who have kids who play, but not all of them can "play." But their dads are convinced they can.
So you have to be really careful. You would hope that Keegan and the other guys coordinating recruiting for USU have every legacy kid identified and already know who can play and who can't.

I don't fault them if they never offered him a scholarship. Their scholarships may have been committed when he came on his "unofficial" visit. It happens. They may have also known that he was going to be a mission kid and have something up their sleve for 2023? Who really knows what can happen between now and them.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
brownjeans

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 27th, 2020, 2:27 pm

SasquatchAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 12:54 pm
It was an unofficial visit.
Good to know. I don't fault our coaches then. They can't stop a kid from visiting his favorite school. They have no obligation to give him a scholarship.

ususports

Post by ususports » January 27th, 2020, 2:29 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 1:18 pm
If the coaches just didn’t think he was worthy of a scholarship, that’s one thing. But all of the sudden coming up with a scholarship a few weeks later once he had Pac-12 offers makes it look more like they were interested but were maybe taking the kid for granted.

Like others have said, we don’t have all the facts. But if the information confirmed by multiple posters is true, it sure smells.
The only "confirmed" information (if you can even call it that) is from one side of the story. Since we don't have all of the facts, no point in overreacting and judging the coaching staff. This post is not aimed at the poster I quoted, just in general.

CacheAggie

Post by CacheAggie » January 27th, 2020, 3:32 pm

Just saw in Twitter that Yaro Duvalko decided to officially re-open his recruitment this morning. Looks like he is most likely gone. Did we find someone better?

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » January 27th, 2020, 3:42 pm

CacheAggie wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 3:32 pm
Just saw in Twitter that Yaro Duvalko decided to officially re-open his recruitment this morning. Looks like he is most likely gone. Did we find someone better?
The fact that we have 4 scholarship QB's on the roster and all but 1 are freshman is pretty telling. We have plenty of talented depth at that position. I would much rather have us sign one next year to spread the depth out a little.
These users thanked the author jeffdan25 for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyaggies22WillCut72

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 27th, 2020, 3:48 pm

CacheAggie wrote:
It's 2 things. 1) He is being asked to grayshirt, so it's not a true 2020 offer. 2) He loved Mike Sanford, who is now gone.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 3:48 pm
CacheAggie wrote:
It's 2 things. 1) He is being asked to grayshirt, so it's not a true 2020 offer. 2) He loved Mike Sanford, who is now gone.
Or could it really be that a committed QB chose to take an under the radar official visit to UNLV last weekend?
Last edited by aggies22 on January 27th, 2020, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2020, 4:27 pm

CacheAggie wrote:
We are not in the market for another QB. The vacated scholarship will be used on someone that is more a position of need.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 27th, 2020, 5:04 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 4:27 pm
CacheAggie wrote:
We are not in the market for another QB. The vacated scholarship will be used on someone that is more a position of need.
Like a center?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 27th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 5:04 pm
aggies22 wrote:
CacheAggie wrote:
Like a center?
Too soon.

Truthfully though I'd take a great DL, DT or LB ahead of a center at the moment.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 27th, 2020, 5:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Also the Desi news reported that Jake had a offer from USU prior to his visit this last weekend to YBU.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2020, 6:00 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 5:38 pm
aggies22 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Also the Desi news reported that Jake had a offer from USU prior to his visit this last weekend to YBU.
That is correct.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
oleblu111

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 27th, 2020, 6:02 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 5:04 pm
aggies22 wrote:
CacheAggie wrote:
Like a center?
Possibly Tai Marks at Mater Dei in California. He recently gave an interview where he said there was some mutual interest.

Rustyj87

Post by Rustyj87 » January 29th, 2020, 6:15 pm

I saw john gentry was In town any chance comes here?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 29th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Rustyj87 wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 6:15 pm
I saw john gentry was In town any chance comes here?
I would say there is a very good chance he comes here.

Locked Previous topicNext topic