Bodie Reeder, the next OC

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Bodie Reeder, the next OC

Post by aggies22 » January 15th, 2020, 2:21 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Are we sure he is being brought in as OC and not just QB coach?
I was told, Offensive Coordinator.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 15th, 2020, 3:05 pm

So the hunt for a new O C that fits into the system has been officially concluded then? Coach Reeder seems to have credentials and some decent experience to bring to Logan.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 15th, 2020, 4:19 pm

I'm hopeful.

I really like the idea that he's not bound to one tightly-integrated system but instead will do whatever it takes.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 15th, 2020, 8:06 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 4:19 pm
I'm hopeful.

I really like the idea that he's not bound to one tightly-integrated system but instead will do whatever it takes.
I like that to. There was so many times this past year it's we just went fast fast fast even though it wasn't working. I hope we use multiple formations Target the edges, get our Playmakers in space and just call plays that will help us win games.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 15th, 2020, 8:22 pm

I love having a FB/H-back.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
brownjeans

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 15th, 2020, 8:31 pm

USU78 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 8:22 pm
We used a couple of those a few years back. Kellen Bartlett and Keegan Andersen.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 15th, 2020, 8:34 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 8:31 pm
USU78 wrote:
We used a couple of those a few years back. Kellen Bartlett and Keegan Andersen.
Sometimes both at the same time.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » January 15th, 2020, 8:41 pm

USU78 wrote:
Yup. I hope this means we won’t be doing any more zone reads out of shotgun on 3rd and inches anymore.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
USU78hipsterdoofus21BLUERUFiO

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 15th, 2020, 9:34 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 8:41 pm
USU78 wrote:
Yup. I hope this means we won’t be doing any more zone reads out of shotgun on 3rd and inches anymore.
One of the huge problems with the Zone read this year with our offense is we didn't give love the opportunity to run that much. People were just keying in on the running back knowing that more often than not love wasnt going to run.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 15th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 9:34 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 8:41 pm
USU78 wrote:
One of the huge problems with the Zone read this year with our offense is we didn't give love the opportunity to run that much. People were just keying in on the running back knowing that more often than not love wasnt going to run.
And if he did run he wasn’t going to house it.

ususports

Post by ususports » January 16th, 2020, 6:54 am

I just hope our new OC adopts the play call where our QB does a fake handoff to the invisible 12th player. Since it never fooled anyone this past season, the odds suggest it is bound to work at least once this coming season. It would be a shame to scrap that play right before it works.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 16th, 2020, 7:25 am

Where does Bodie stand in the "lining up under center on short yardage" department?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 16th, 2020, 7:47 am

I think he will stand on the sideline or up in the booth. Not completely sure.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOdonlarson8

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 16th, 2020, 7:59 am

NVAggie wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 7:47 am
I think he will stand on the sideline or up in the booth. Not completely sure.
It's an under the center offense.
In 2018 Eastern Washington ran for 165 first downs and passed for 167.
Total yards passing and rushing were likewise very similar.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 16th, 2020, 9:19 am

Utilizing the run equally with the pass is passe. The offenses that score the most points are spread/west-coast/Air Coryell style offenses, not old-timey 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offenses. Offenses that move the ball most effectively get their best athletes in open space in on-on-one situations as much as possible. The best offenses work to create match-up advantages through pre-snap motion, misdirection, or imbalanced formations getting more receivers than defenders on one side of the field, providing easy hot routes for the QB when the primary advanced routes do not open up. Utilizing one or more of play action, RPOs, naked-bootlegs, misdirection, picks, decoys, and pre-snap motion on literally every play can both reveal to the QB what defense he is facing -- even when disguised -- and create confusion on the defense and match-up advantages for the offense. Blind loyalty to a 50/50 run/pass ratio has proved to be far less effective over time. What I want most is someone who understands this and uses both creativity and ingenuity in setting an offensive scheme.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
2004AG

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 16th, 2020, 9:23 am

In the thread about who we would like to see named the offensive coordinator, there were a few of you that specifically asked for the Eastern Washington Offensive Coordinator. THIS IS THE GUY! I'm kind of surprised that there is so little fanfare surrounding this hire. Don't let him getting railroaded out of North Texas fool you, I think this will turn out well for us.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyBLUERUFiO

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 16th, 2020, 9:33 am

aggies22 wrote:In the thread about who we would like to see named the offensive coordinator, there were a few of you that specifically asked for the Eastern Washington Offensive Coordinator. THIS IS THE GUY! I'm kind of surprised that there is so little fanfare surrounding this hire. Don't let him getting railroaded out of North Texas fool you, I think this will turn out well for us.
Him getting fired at North Texas is keeping me from jumping up and down over the hire. I would have liked to see a P5 QB coach get the job....A Yost type resume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 16th, 2020, 9:39 am

2004AG wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 9:33 am
aggies22 wrote:In the thread about who we would like to see named the offensive coordinator, there were a few of you that specifically asked for the Eastern Washington Offensive Coordinator. THIS IS THE GUY! I'm kind of surprised that there is so little fanfare surrounding this hire. Don't let him getting railroaded out of North Texas fool you, I think this will turn out well for us.
Him getting fired at North Texas is keeping me from jumping up and down over the hire. I would have liked to see a P5 QB coach get the job....A Yost type resume.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion my Aggie brother! Unfortunately, Utah State is in the odd position of usually catching a P5 coach on his way down and hoping to boost his stock or the young up-and-comer that is looking for the payday allure of the P5. Keep in mind at North Texas, Bodie Reeder was basically in Mike Sanford's shoes last year. Forced to keep alive an offense that featured a top returning QB but didn't fit what either guy truly wanted to run offensively. Both of these guys are considered young, innovative offensive minds. They didn't just suddenly start to suck.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 16th, 2020, 10:17 am

aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 9:33 am

You are certainly welcome to your opinion my Aggie brother! Unfortunately, Utah State is in the odd position of usually catching a P5 coach on his way down and hoping to boost his stock or the young up-and-comer that is looking for the payday allure of the P5. Keep in mind at North Texas, Bodie Reeder was basically in Mike Sanford's shoes last year. Forced to keep alive an offense that featured a top returning QB but didn't fit what either guy truly wanted to run offensively. Both of these guys are considered young, innovative offensive minds. They didn't just suddenly start to suck.
Fair enough. I actually liked Mike Sanford and was sad to see him go. Sanford took a lot of heat but I wanted to see a bigger sample size. (Same with Ena, I would have given him one more year)

I certainly prefer the young and up-and-comer so he checks that box for me.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
aggies22oleblu111

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 16th, 2020, 10:31 am

ChicAggie wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 9:19 am
Utilizing the run equally with the pass is passe. The offenses that score the most points are spread/west-coast/Air Coryell style offenses, not old-timey 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offenses. Offenses that move the ball most effectively get their best athletes in open space in on-on-one situations as much as possible. The best offenses work to create match-up advantages through pre-snap motion, misdirection, or imbalanced formations getting more receivers than defenders on one side of the field, providing easy hot routes for the QB when the primary advanced routes do not open up. Utilizing one or more of play action, RPOs, naked-bootlegs, misdirection, picks, decoys, and pre-snap motion on literally every play can both reveal to the QB what defense he is facing -- even when disguised -- and create confusion on the defense and match-up advantages for the offense. Blind loyalty to a 50/50 run/pass ratio has proved to be far less effective over time. What I want most is someone who understands this and uses both creativity and ingenuity in setting an offensive scheme.
Don't tell the Titans

( I know they're an outlier, but they also remind me that there are many ways to win... and some are kind of boring.)

Full

Post by Full » January 16th, 2020, 1:39 pm

I like the hire. He seems to want to use what he has with maximum efficiency while I think his general philosophy aligns with GA. I think some offense struggles were magnified by the OC and the head coach wanting to change the offense.

I think getting first downs and scoring are fun no matter how you get there. The Wazzu and Air Force offenses can both be entertaining to watch

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 16th, 2020, 1:52 pm

Full wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 1:39 pm
I like the hire. He seems to want to use what he has with maximum efficiency while I think his general philosophy aligns with GA. I think some offense struggles were magnified by the OC and the head coach wanting to change the offense.

I think getting first downs and scoring are fun no matter how you get there. The Wazzu and Air Force offenses can both be entertaining to watch
I agree, I don't care what we run as long as we get first downs and score more points than the other team. The throw game is super fun to watch when rolling, but also when the run game is rolling and you can slam it down their throat is equally rewarding. I just want to see the team win how we get there is irrelevant to me.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 16th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Scotty and Hans interviewed Reeder earlier this afternoon. Seems like he's been on quite the roller coaster the past couple weeks. Though he is young, he has been around the block and exposed to a lot of great offensive minds. I liked his attitude and comments on his approach/philosophy, especially when asked about red zone and 3rd down and short yardage situations. He's not afraid to change packages/personnel for specific situations. Even though he wants to be able to ground and pound when needed, he also wants to be unpredictable and use more misdirection and trickery down in the red zone at times. Regarding pace, he wants to be able to change pace to suit the situation. I know they are saying it's an open QB battle for 2020 but I can see Columbi flourish in this type of offense. He has good accuracy to go along with a decently strong arm, and then has sufficiently lively legs to get chunks on the ground and keep the defense honest. He's very multifaceted. I think most of our young QB's fit his bill but Columbi has had the opportunity to show it in game situations. I think our offense sat back and relied too much on Jordan to bail them out last year, which resulted in him pressing a bit. I expect full engagement by all facets of the offense this year. Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
aggies22Blue42

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 16th, 2020, 10:33 pm

I don’t need 50-60 pts a game. I’m tired of having an offense that can’t get a 3rd and 1 or a 4th and 1. I’m tired of an offense that can’t put away a team in the 4th quarter. I’m tired of 3 and outs. I’m tired of seeing certain formations and knowing exactly what we’re going to do and then seeing the defense react like they also knew exactly what we were going to do.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
aggies22BLUERUFiO

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 16th, 2020, 10:56 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:Scotty and Hans interviewed Reeder earlier this afternoon. Seems like he's been on quite the roller coaster the past couple weeks. Though he is young, he has been around the block and exposed to a lot of great offensive minds. I liked his attitude and comments on his approach/philosophy, especially when asked about red zone and 3rd down and short yardage situations. He's not afraid to change packages/personnel for specific situations. Even though he wants to be able to ground and pound when needed, he also wants to be unpredictable and use more misdirection and trickery down in the red zone at times. Regarding pace, he wants to be able to change pace to suit the situation. I know they are saying it's an open QB battle for 2020 but I can see Columbi flourish in this type of offense. He has good accuracy to go along with a decently strong arm, and then has sufficiently lively legs to get chunks on the ground and keep the defense honest. He's very multifaceted. I think most of our young QB's fit his bill but Columbi has had the opportunity to show it in game situations. I think our offense sat back and relied too much on Jordan to bail them out last year, which resulted in him pressing a bit. I expect full engagement by all facets of the offense this year. Go Aggies!
Hey, this is theAKAggie checking in from the future, you guys are are NOT happy with Reader and think he’s mixing up personnel too much and the team can’t get chemistry as they’re constantly being swapped out. Alright, back in the time Machine, President in Exile Sanders has a news conference from Toronto about the Separatists and the Chairman failing to relinquish power.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 2):
BigBlueDartoleblu111

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic