Bowl Game in Review: The good, bad, and ugly

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Bowl Game in Review: The good, bad, and ugly

Post by Madmartigan » December 21st, 2019, 10:11 am

Last night wasn't the outcome any of us wanted or the one that many expected. It's easy to get carried away after a win or a loss in shining a light on the good and bad. I saw some of both last night, but mostly bad:

The Good

Offensive Line: We were able to run the ball effectively and they gave Love loads of time to pass. KSU rushed 3 for most of the night, but Love was able to find open guys. Anytime you average 4.7 YPC on 40 carries you should win

Love, Bright, Mariner: All three went out as well as they could've in a loss with Bright's fumble as the exception. Loves INT was more of a fumble on Warren.

Field Goal Kicking teams: Lone bright spot in a very bad game from the teams.

Nick Heninger: In perhaps the only good thing Ena did: moving Heninger to linebacker was brilliant

The Bad

Special Teams: In what has been Gary's MO in close games we lose, we blundered a lot of ST teams plays. A muffed punt, Muffed Snap to the punter, and the bad Onside kick.

The Ugly

Tackling: I haven't seen a Gary coached team miss more tackles than this one this game and really all year. It is baffling to me how they can be such terrible form tacklers

Defense: Atrocious. So much time to prepare for a mobile QB and we had no answer. Kent did pretty much whatever they wanted on offense. Their athletes were nothing special. We didn't generate much pass rush and when we did Crum would escape and scamper for 20+ yards. I kept thinking to myself "IF Woodward were here, things wouldn't be going this way." Who knows.

Team Intensity: This one isn't measured by any statistic, but the lack of fire was evident and concerning. This needs to change or next year will be rough.

Overall, the season was average. I am concerned with the direction of the defense. If we're being real, the offense left a lot to be desired most of the year too. Major changes are needed. I would start with revamping the defense and changing scheme back to a 3-4 or 3-3-5. The big silver lining in a pretty dark end to the season is our entire Two deep from the OL returns. That should help make up for the significant losses we experience on offense.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
USU78

hickaggie

Re: Bowl Game in Review: The good, bad, and ugly

Post by hickaggie » December 21st, 2019, 10:22 am

Good summary. This will be a 3 win team at best next year if Gary doesn't take drastic measures to revamp this D from the ground up and that can't include Ena or the secondary coach. I would place money on that.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 21st, 2019, 11:26 am

hickaggie wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 10:22 am
Good summary. This will be a 3 win team at best next year if Gary doesn't take drastic measures to revamp this D from the ground up and that can't include Ena or the secondary coach. I would place money on that.
So why weren't you calling for Yost's head after the 3-9 yr?

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 21st, 2019, 11:28 am

My bad I meant MW he ran the O that yr

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 21st, 2019, 11:42 am

Not a problem JFW AGGIES,,, we're all AGGIES here my friend.,,,just major disputes about what is wrong and what should be done to make this program stronger. My ire is directed generally toward our defense which is historically Coach Andersens long suite.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 21st, 2019, 11:58 am

As everyone has probly already noticed most all our signings in the early period where defensive players, they now there's a problem.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 21st, 2019, 12:23 pm

I know we have to make personnel changes. I know that we have to recruit better football players, and maybe some from the JC ranks, or the transfer portal. Lot's of work there.

But what we NEED MOST.....is attitude. The difference in enthusiasm between the Kent State bench and the USU bench was palpable. It almost looked like we were saying (with attitude) that "we are better than you and all we have to do is show up and punch a time card." The only guy who looked invested in the attitude of enthusiasm was Heniger......and he is a former Ute.

I will never forget when we played Texan AM several years ago. It was in GA's 1st or 2nd year. We were fired up. Way fired up in the first half. It was a game. I sat there watching the players and coaches leave for the locker room at half time. You should have seen their swagger. Their heads held high with a look of confidence in their eyes. Gary and the coaches were the same way. My son who lives in Plano TX (by Dallas) and I looked at each other and I commented I hadn't seen that kind of swagger in an Aggie team for a long time. We were a team. We were confident. We were enthusiastic.......and the look on our faces said we were going to win. It lasted the whole game through.

All the x;s and o;s changes won't make enough to make a difference unless we play like Kent State did, with attitude.....and the way we have in the past (Tx am, Hawaii, etc.)
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
JSHarvey

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic