Jordan Love & Gerold Bright busted for smoking weed

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ThunderAggie

Re: Jordan Love & Gerold Bright busted for smoking weed

Post by ThunderAggie » December 17th, 2019, 3:50 pm

treesap32 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:44 pm
Here's my breakdown of the linked report:

Someone called the police telling them USU athletes were smoking pot. Cops arrive at apartment building and smell pot. They smell it stronger coming from a specific apartment room. They get into the apartment and find 6 people in there. Then they find a 7th person. They determine pot was consumed in apartment. The press charges. Athletes cooperate.

Did they even find pot? Seems like they're being charged on a stool pigeon (what are we, BYU?) and the cops sense of smell. I'm sure there's more to it than that, and maybe that's enough to charge, but as others have said, innocent until proven guilty.

I remember a similar story involving Robert Turbin when he was present in a car that smelled like Pot. Charges were dropped and he was determined to be innocent. I'm expecting something similar here.
I sure hope so. I am just worried that people see the story and then never see anything else so they just assume he is the guy who was charge with pot possession. I hope it gets cleared up!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 17th, 2019, 4:16 pm

treesap32 wrote:

Someone called the police telling them USU athletes were smoking pot. Cops arrive at apartment building and smell pot. They smell it stronger coming from a specific apartment room. They get into the apartment and find 6 people in there. Then they find a 7th person. They determine pot was consumed in apartment. The press charges. Athletes cooperate.

Did they even find pot? Seems like they're being charged on a stool pigeon (what are we, BYU?) and the cops sense of smell. I'm sure there's more to it than that, and maybe that's enough to charge, but as others have said, innocent until proven guilty.

I remember a similar story involving Robert Turbin when he was present in a car that smelled like Pot. Charges were dropped and he was determined to be innocent. I'm expecting something similar here.
I still say that Sneeeches deserve stitches!
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
BleedAggieBlue0

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » December 17th, 2019, 4:25 pm

The line dropped for USU. It is now at -4.5.

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » December 17th, 2019, 4:27 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:13 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:06 pm
I'm starting to hear there is less to this story than what is being reported. Expect this to end up being fought in court.
I guess we're all just going to ignore this...? One of the few people on this board with good sources and I haven't even seen much of a response to this post.

This is the problem with assuming that everyone is guilty from the get go. Let's wait until we have some actual facts before we "lose respect" for these players. Love and Bright at the very least have earned that much right?
Seriously. They haven't been convicted of anything. If they were in a room or apartment where the cops thought weed was being smoked, they would have been charged whether they smoked or not.

From personal experience, I have had the same thing happen with me in Logan. I fought the charges and they were later dropped.

GaAggie

Post by GaAggie » December 17th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Somewhat similar handwringing going on now at Georgia.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/geor ... I/amp.html

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » December 17th, 2019, 4:30 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:24 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:15 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
I'm starting to hear there is less to this story than what is being reported. Expect this to end up being fought in court.
I guess we're all just going to ignore this...? One of the few people on this board with good sources and I haven't even seen much of a response to this post.

This is the problem with assuming that everyone is guilty from the get go. Let's wait until we have some actual facts before we "lose respect" for these players. Love and Bright at the very least have earned that much right?
I wish this was the case but it is already all over espn and internet. People are going to label him which stinks for him and his legacy and future career.
This will be adjudicated and over with before the NFL combine. By that time Jordan will be able to answer any naysayers by telling them he wasn't involved.
If this really is the case and it ends up costing Jordan by dropping in the draft, would he have a case against anyone? I'd be pretty pissed if I got implicated in something right before the biggest opportunity in my life that could cost me money.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 17th, 2019, 4:31 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 4:30 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:24 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:15 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

I wish this was the case but it is already all over espn and internet. People are going to label him which stinks for him and his legacy and future career.
This will be adjudicated and over with before the NFL combine. By that time Jordan will be able to answer any naysayers by telling them he wasn't involved.
If this really is the case and it ends up costing Jordan by dropping in the draft, would he have a case against anyone? I'd be pretty pissed if I got implicated in something right before the biggest opportunity in my life that could cost me money.
Probably not. It was his decision to be in that dorm room.

dcaggiefan

Post by dcaggiefan » December 17th, 2019, 4:36 pm

NVAggie wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:10 pm
Logan City is just doing its job. They received a complaint, responded to the complaint, and enforced the law. This is just stupid by the players. They know the law. They know it was wrong. I'm glad they weren't operating a vehicle while smoking. They will probably pay a fine and move on with life.

Probably some BYU degenerate dropout decided to tattletale
These users thanked the author dcaggiefan for the post (total 2):
ViAggieBleedAggieBlue0

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » December 17th, 2019, 4:37 pm

This isn't an indictment on their character as people but on their judgment as individuals. A majority of people in this community do drugs for any number of reason ranging from recreation to medication and the drugs of choice range from harmless weed to life-altering and addicting prescribed pain killers. But the poor judgment of smoking pot in an apartment complex where even legal smoking of toabacco is not permitted by house rules and then of all places in The Millennial Towers, which is chock full of rich Mormon girls from Davis and Utah Counties who will sleep with you on a Friday night and call the police on you for smelling weed on a Saturday night, is the story for me. How could they not be versed in the ways of small town Utah and just find a home off campus to get high for a couple of hours like a normal college kid? Poor judgment indeed.
These users thanked the author sockpuppet for the post (total 2):
Aggie_in_Idahofrankiesaysrelax

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 17th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Listening to 1280 a few minutes ago. Love’s attorney says he is innocent and will be absolved of all charges....

FWIW.

Kinda ridiculous the kid has to hire an attorney for something like this.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post (total 4):
Roy McAvoyAggie_in_IdahoBleedAggieBlue0aggies22

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 17th, 2019, 4:46 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 4:40 pm
Listening to 1280 a few minutes ago. Love’s attorney says he is innocent and will be absolved of all charges....

FWIW.

If that's the case then what an indictment on LPD as a whole just rushing to charge him with a class B misdemeanor for the use and even Cache Valley Daily for blasting this out to the entire country. The story made national news quick.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 17th, 2019, 4:50 pm

sockpuppet wrote:This isn't an indictment on their character as people but on their judgment as individuals. A majority of people in this community do drugs for any number of reason ranging from recreation to medication and the drugs of choice range from harmless weed to life-altering and addicting prescribed pain killers. But the poor judgment of smoking pot in an apartment complex where even legal smoking of toabacco is not permitted by house rules and then of all places in The Millennial Towers, which is chock full of rich Mormon girls from Davis and Utah Counties who will sleep with you on a Friday night and call the police on you for smelling weed on a Saturday night, is the story for me. How could they not be versed in the ways of small town Utah and just find a home off campus to get high for a couple of hours like a normal college kid? Poor judgment indeed.
Wow. Yeah, let’s not cast judgement on Love and Bright... but let’s write a post like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 17th, 2019, 4:55 pm

I’m all for breaking laws in the state/country you choose to live in and then there being no consequence. I don’t agree with x law so I don’t need to follow it.

In all seriousness we’ve all made mistakes but usually there is a consequence tied to it.

This was a bone headed mistake for these young men. I’m sure they are great young men and will learn from this and do great in life.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
ShowMeAggie

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » December 17th, 2019, 4:58 pm

dyedblue wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 4:50 pm
sockpuppet wrote:This isn't an indictment on their character as people but on their judgment as individuals. A majority of people in this community do drugs for any number of reason ranging from recreation to medication and the drugs of choice range from harmless weed to life-altering and addicting prescribed pain killers. But the poor judgment of smoking pot in an apartment complex where even legal smoking of toabacco is not permitted by house rules and then of all places in The Millennial Towers, which is chock full of rich Mormon girls from Davis and Utah Counties who will sleep with you on a Friday night and call the police on you for smelling weed on a Saturday night, is the story for me. How could they not be versed in the ways of small town Utah and just find a home off campus to get high for a couple of hours like a normal college kid? Poor judgment indeed.
Wow. Yeah, let’s not cast judgement on Love and Bright... but let’s write a post like this.

Would you consider it poor judgment for someone to smoke pot on the public sidewalk in front of the police department? I would. Maybe you think it is not poor judgment to smoke pot (or hang around pot smoking) in a public place like a high rise apartment complex...but I do consider to be poor judgment.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 17th, 2019, 5:09 pm

sockpuppet wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 4:58 pm
dyedblue wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 4:50 pm

Would you consider it poor judgment for someone to smoke pot on the public sidewalk in front of the police department? I would. Maybe you think it is not poor judgment to smoke pot (or hang around pot smoking) in a public place like a high rise apartment complex...but I do consider to be poor judgment.
I don't think that's the part of your post to which dyedblue took exception.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 17th, 2019, 5:26 pm

We do understand that people are innocent until proven guilty. There is also that one that say's judge not lest you be judged. That's what I was taught in my church.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 17th, 2019, 5:27 pm

treesap32 wrote:

was it the article linked in the OP, or another one I read, that said the cops had to get a warrant for a urine sample from the suspects, but they were otherwise fully cooperative, or something to that effect. If they provided a urine sample, then they'll either be exonerated or proven guilty, right?

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » December 17th, 2019, 5:28 pm

bluegrouse wrote:Listening to 1280 a few minutes ago. Love’s attorney says he is innocent and will be absolved of all charges....

FWIW.

I hope this happens. Was this released in text somewhere or do I have track down the audio to hear it?

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » December 17th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Blue42 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:43 pm
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:28 pm
So is this the big bombshell thing that Ahbye was referring to a while back?
I would guess not, since it sounds like this all happened recently and Ahbye’s posts were from a while ago. I could be wrong though.
No, not what I was talking about. Weed is not a bombshell. Also, just because some states have chosen to legalize it doesn't change the fact that the substance causes issues in society. If some kid wants to get baked at his place and isn't going anywhere that night, I have less of a problem with it. However, I have yet to take a sex assault at USU that hasn't had the added flavor of drugs or alcohol. I don't remember one in the valley that hasn't either. I do have a problem with that. Now read between the lines.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 2):
USU78aceofspadeskb

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » December 17th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:53 pm
Cheecho6 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:39 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:25 pm
Whatever your options are about marijuana the fact remains that it is illegal in Utah. Spare me the argument that it doesn’t matter because it’s legal in other states.

Yes, they are college kids, but that also doesn’t excuse this. I expect kids in our program to have better judgement. Especially leaders like Love and Bright.

Meh. These guys just finished up finals and their college careers. They’ve put in so much work and taken a beating on their bodies for the Aggies.

Let them have a few celebratory puffs at the end of great careers. I won’t come down on them for it.
Regardless of how you feel about the drug, if it’s a team rule to not do it and they broke team rules does that change your opinion about whether or not they should play? No player(s) should be bigger than the program.
Nope. Let them play in the bowl game. I certainly hope you never ever break the speed limit or use your phone while driving. Those are infinitely more dangerous to others than weed and are both illegal. If you have, I hope you are punished to the fullest and others harshly judge you for it while criticizing your name online for it.
Wrong. So stupidly and horrifically wrong.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
aceofspadeskb

GaryTakeTheWheel

Post by GaryTakeTheWheel » December 17th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Whole bunch of weiners in this thread. It's not 1950. We're not BYU fans. Take your honor code moralizing to the private school forums.
These users thanked the author GaryTakeTheWheel for the post (total 2):
BleedAggieBlue0aggieman2828

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 17th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Cheecho6 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 5:28 pm
bluegrouse wrote:Listening to 1280 a few minutes ago. Love’s attorney says he is innocent and will be absolved of all charges....

FWIW.

I hope this happens. Was this released in text somewhere or do I have track down the audio to hear it?

I only heard it as I was driving. Gordon Monson read it on air so I’m assuming there is some sort of press release somewhere.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 17th, 2019, 5:48 pm

AgMac wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Yeah, it's so weird that the local Utah sports web page, ESPN, would even make a story of this non-issue. I'm just glad there are no national sport media outlets who might think this is newsworthy. So embarrassing for Utah.
Throwing pot politics aside, here's what we have:
Some guys knowingly broke the law and knowingly broke team rules. Seems to me that's only embarrassing for the idiots who willfully made that decision.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 17th, 2019, 5:51 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 5:48 pm
AgMac wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:29 pm
Yeah, it's so weird that the local Utah sports web page, ESPN, would even make a story of this non-issue. I'm just glad there are no national sport media outlets who might think this is newsworthy. So embarrassing for Utah.
Throwing pot politics aside, here's what we have:
Some guys knowingly broke the law and knowingly broke team rules. Seems to me that's only embarrassing for the idiots who willfully made that decision.
Not true. That is not what we have. We do not have all the facts yet. All we actually have is that they have been cited. That’s it. It has yet to be determined if they broke the law, team rules or anything else, knowingly or otherwise.
Last edited by bluegrouse on December 17th, 2019, 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 17th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 4:46 pm
bluegrouse wrote:

FWIW.

If that's the case then what an indictment on LPD as a whole just rushing to charge him with a class B misdemeanor for the use and even Cache Valley Daily for blasting this out to the entire country. The story made national news quick.
Question: In cases like this, is it the LPD or USUPD or both? Where do USUPD and LPD hand off? I mean, USU doesn't have a DA and a judge, do they? Are USU cases tried in Logan Municipal court or Cache County Court? How does this stuff work?

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » December 17th, 2019, 5:58 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 5:27 pm
treesap32 wrote:

was it the article linked in the OP, or another one I read, that said the cops had to get a warrant for a urine sample from the suspects, but they were otherwise fully cooperative, or something to that effect. If they provided a urine sample, then they'll either be exonerated or proven guilty, right?
Bingo! Contrary to some of the hyperbole on here, you don't get charged with possession of marijuana in this valley (or this state) unless you've got it in your control or in your system. Those who say otherwise are full of $hit. Put up or shut up before you make stupid baseless allegations like that. Do you realize how stupid and hypocritical you sound? "The cops just round everybody up, throw them in jail, and then sort it all out later, and by the way, how dare they accuse the players of committing crimes without any evidence?" You indict yourselves with your speech.

Bottom line is that every time we have a disappointing year here (thinking of our 3-9 year), it's because of internal issues that are selfish in nature. It's not that they dislike their teammates, it's that they don't think of the team before making the decision. I haven't yet read this case and I don't have to. Stuff like this has been going on all year while the Logan press has fiddled. It just happened to catch the eye of a reporter this week.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 2):
USU78ShowMeAggie

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » December 17th, 2019, 6:02 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 5:52 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:

FWIW.

Question: In cases like this, is it the LPD or USUPD or both? Where do USUPD and LPD hand off? I mean, USU doesn't have a DA and a judge, do they? Are USU cases tried in Logan Municipal court or Cache County Court? How does this stuff work?
USU and LCPD have the same level of authority, court system, etc. Jurisdiction only pertains to geography. All police officers in the state of Utah can enforce the law in any part of the state. But that doesn't mean you just go and start writing tickets in Mantua.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
BustaMcNutt

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 17th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Ahbye wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 5:58 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

Bingo! Contrary to some of the hyperbole on here, you don't get charged with possession of marijuana in this valley (or this state) unless you've got it in your control or in your system. Those who say otherwise are full of $hit. Put up or shut up before you make stupid baseless allegations like that. Do you realize how stupid and hypocritical you sound? "The cops just round everybody up, throw them in jail, and then sort it all out later, and by the way, how dare they accuse the players of committing crimes without any evidence?" You indict yourselves with your speech.

Bottom line is that every time we have a disappointing year here (thinking of our 3-9 year), it's because of internal issues that are selfish in nature. It's not that they dislike their teammates, it's that they don't think of the team before making the decision. I haven't yet read this case and I don't have to. Stuff like this has been going on all year while the Logan press has fiddled. It just happened to catch the eye of a reporter this week.
Questions of character.

Yikes!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 17th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:

FWIW.

What else would you expect him to say? :headscratch:

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 17th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Here is the quote from Love’s attorney:

Love’s attorney, Skye Lazaro, issued a statement via email to The Salt Lake Tribune regarding the incident.
“Contrary to initial reports Jordan Love was not arrested for any offense, but simply cited by the officer for a low-level misdemeanor possession charge," Lazaro said. "Based on the information available at this time, there was no marijuana or other illegal substances recovered at the scene. Jordan maintains his innocence and is confident he will be exonerated as this matter progresses through the judicial process.”

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 17th, 2019, 6:22 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 6:11 pm
Ahbye wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 5:58 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

Questions of character.

Yikes!
Questions of judgement? Maybe. Questions of character? Nah.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 17th, 2019, 6:22 pm

What did she have to say about Torrey Green?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 17th, 2019, 6:25 pm

treesap32 wrote:

Why?

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 17th, 2019, 6:27 pm

dyedblue wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 6:22 pm
What did she have to say about Torrey Green?

Yeah, because these two cases are so similar.........

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » December 17th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Ahbye wrote:
ShowMeAggie wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

If police were correct in everything they did we wouldn’t need courts and judges, now would we.

These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
bigblue

Locked Previous topicNext topic