Jay Hill a Candidate for New Mexico HC

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Jay Hill a Candidate for New Mexico HC

Post by Floppy Hat » December 17th, 2019, 10:06 am

Football Scoop is reporting that Jay Hill is the leading candidate to be New Mexico's next head coach.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... ew-mexico/

Jay should hold out for something better. New Mexico has potential, but they are so far down right now and their program doesn't appear to have the support it needs to be successful.

SLB

Re: Jay Hill a Candidate for New Mexico HC

Post by SLB » December 17th, 2019, 10:10 am

Floppy Hat wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 10:06 am
Football Scoop is reporting that Jay Hill is the leading candidate to be New Mexico's next head coach.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... ew-mexico/

Jay should hold out for something better. New Mexico has potential, but they are so far down right now and their program doesn't appear to have the support it needs to be successful.
I think that Colorado State made a good move for head coach, and if New Mexico gets Jay Hill. New Mexico would have made a good move on head coach.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 17th, 2019, 10:43 am

It would be a good get for them. New Mexico isn't an easy place to win, but Weber State was also not considered a place where winning at the level he has won at was possible. He has taken Weber farther than they have ever been.

If he goes to New Mexico and can even just take them to regular 7-5 type seasons, he would have a good case for the Utah job when Whittingham retires. I know they claim Scalley is the coach in waiting, but a successful proven Head Coach will certainly have people in his corner.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 17th, 2019, 11:19 am

If Morgan Scalley is the Coach in waiting then he is the Coach in waiting. It would horribly bad business (which Utah is good at I know) to pull that promise of promotion just for the sake of landing an up-and-comer like Jay Hill. Morgan Scalley has paid his dues at what is becoming one of the top programs in the PAC-12 (it kills me to say that).

Jay Hill is winning at Weber State by applying lessons learned at Utah while he was there. If Jay were to be foolish enough to take the New Mexico job he will quickly find that the Utah/Utah State/byu/Weber State formula that has led to success at all these programs will not translate to wins in Albuquerque.

Say it ain't so Jay! Just turn this one down!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 17th, 2019, 11:39 am

I'd take the CSU job over this one
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
oleblu111

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Full

Post by Full » December 17th, 2019, 11:41 am

ViAggie wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 11:39 am
I'd take the CSU job over this one
I would take Hill over Addazio.
These users thanked the author Full for the post:
ViAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 17th, 2019, 12:47 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 11:19 am
If Morgan Scalley is the Coach in waiting then he is the Coach in waiting. It would horribly bad business (which Utah is good at I know) to pull that promise of promotion just for the sake of landing an up-and-comer like Jay Hill. Morgan Scalley has paid his dues at what is becoming one of the top programs in the PAC-12 (it kills me to say that).

Jay Hill is winning at Weber State by applying lessons learned at Utah while he was there. If Jay were to be foolish enough to take the New Mexico job he will quickly find that the Utah/Utah State/byu/Weber State formula that has led to success at all these programs will not translate to wins in Albuquerque.

If Jay Hill does go to New Mexico and turn them around he would have just as good of a case for the Utah job as Scalley. Turning around Weber State from a 2-9 team to a final four team and then New Mexico from a 2-10 team to a winner would more than equal being a good Defensive coordinator.

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » December 17th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Yes, but Utah does not need to be "turned around." It's there already and needs consistency. IF they like Morgan for that job, then it's his, no matter how well Jay Hill does.

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » December 17th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Bite my tongue.....He would have been very good at USU.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 17th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:47 pm
aggies22 wrote:

If Jay Hill does go to New Mexico and turn them around he would have just as good of a case for the Utah job as Scalley. Turning around Weber State from a 2-9 team to a final four team and then New Mexico from a 2-10 team to a winner would more than equal being a good Defensive coordinator.
I just don't think Hill's formula for success would be successful at New Mexico.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 17th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Agezzz wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:01 pm
I agree he would have been successful at USU. Not sure NM is a good fit. I am not so certain his formula would work as well at NM.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 17th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Agezzz wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:01 pm
I can't discount what he's accomplished at Weber State and it is a different day and age but I witnessed first hand how horrible Dave Arslanian and Mick Dennehy were and that is why I would be apprehensive to go the FCS coach route again. Is it unfair to Jay? It sure is but those would be my reservations.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
MachismoWAAggielionhead

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » December 17th, 2019, 1:35 pm

And just like that, New Mexico has hired alum Danny Gonzales, the DC from Arizona State

Jay Hill may have interviewed, but him being the lead candidate was probably floated by New Mexico to help move negotiations with Gonzales along.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 17th, 2019, 2:37 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:08 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:47 pm
aggies22 wrote:

I just don't think Hill's formula for success would be successful at New Mexico
Apparently the officials at New Mexico saw things the same way you did "22".

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 17th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Floppy Hat wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:35 pm
And just like that, New Mexico has hired alum Danny Gonzales, the DC from Arizona State

Jay Hill may have interviewed, but him being the lead candidate was probably floated by New Mexico to help move negotiations with Gonzales along.
Yahoo also said Jordan Love might transfer to TTech so......
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
aggies22

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 17th, 2019, 2:47 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 2:41 pm
Floppy Hat wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Yahoo also said Jordan Love might transfer to TTech so......
Multiple sources saying the same thing.

https://footballscoop.com/news/danny-go ... ead-coach/

Locked Previous topicNext topic