MW has New TV deal

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JFW_AGGIES
Posts: 692
Joined: September 2nd, 2017, 6:02 am
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 136 times

MW has New TV deal

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 16th, 2019, 5:13 pm

35 mill per yr combo with Fox and CBS about 3mil per team per yr



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15695
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 867 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by brownjeans » December 16th, 2019, 5:18 pm

So less than half what the American Athletic Conference got?
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Zaggie07



FormerlyVegasAggie71
Posts: 225
Joined: April 16th, 2018, 10:05 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » December 16th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Here's a link with more info: https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB- ... 12/16.aspx

"The new Fox and CBS contracts, which will go into effect July 1, provide the conference’s 10 schools -- not including Hawaii and Boise State, which have separate arrangements -- with a significant revenue lift. Under the old contracts, those 10 schools made $1.1 million per year, per school. That per-school figure should jump to about $3 million or more. The league’s media deals are complicated because Boise State’s home games are negotiated separately from the rest of the conference. In the previous arrangement, Boise was paid a $1.8 million annual bonus, a deal negotiated in 2012 when the school jumped to the Big East and then quickly returned. Thompson has said that Boise will continue to receive a bonus above what other MWC schools get as an incentive to keep the Broncos in the league. Hawaii also has a separate deal, as it is a football-only member of the MWC."

Bottom line is we will be getting about $3MM/year as opposed to the $1.1MM we were getting. Still peanuts compared to P5 conferences, but better than we were getting.
These users thanked the author FormerlyVegasAggie71 for the post:
JSHarvey



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 13258
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 841 times
Been thanked: 1106 times
Contact:

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by ProvoAggie » December 16th, 2019, 6:14 pm

No more ESPN games.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
ViAggie



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 1360
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has thanked: 1174 times
Been thanked: 491 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 16th, 2019, 7:56 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 6:14 pm
No more ESPN games.
I don't care if all our games are on Facebook, personally. Whatever gets us the most money is good with me.



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7785
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by 2004AG » December 16th, 2019, 8:02 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 6:14 pm
No more ESPN games.
I don't care if all our games are on Facebook, personally. Whatever gets us the most money is good with me.
Let’s not get too carried away. Exposure for the program matters.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 3831
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 1267 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by ineptimusprime » December 16th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Sounds like it’ll mostly be FS1 and CBS Sports Network now.

The article says Fox outbid ESPN, but aren’t Fox and ESPN both owned by Disney now?



isrred
Posts: 1965
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:33 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by isrred » December 16th, 2019, 8:37 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 8:15 pm
Sounds like it’ll mostly be FS1 and CBS Sports Network now.

The article says Fox outbid ESPN, but aren’t Fox and ESPN both owned by Disney now?
Fox Corp spun off of 21st Century Fox (which Disney acquired). Fox corp is mainly the TV, News, and sports properties.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15695
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 867 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by brownjeans » December 16th, 2019, 8:38 pm

isrred wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 8:37 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 8:15 pm
Sounds like it’ll mostly be FS1 and CBS Sports Network now.

The article says Fox outbid ESPN, but aren’t Fox and ESPN both owned by Disney now?
Fox Corp spun off of 21st Century Fox (which Disney acquired). Fox corp is mainly the TV, News, and sports properties.
This.
Here's a link with the details:
https://www.npr.org/2019/03/20/70500902 ... entury-fox

But if you watch Fox News, you probably won't trust that link.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
Zaggie07IdaAg93



Full
Posts: 1867
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 11:07 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by Full » December 16th, 2019, 9:04 pm

From $1.1 million to just over $3 is a healthy jump. I hope the new deal is short enough that it gives the conference another bite at the apple we while the American is locked in for twelve years. If we have a six year deal and close the gap again, that helps the conference continue to grow. Of course a lot can happen between now and 2032.



User avatar
GeorgiaAggie
Posts: 915
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:29 pm
Location: Carrollton, GA
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 135 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by GeorgiaAggie » December 16th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Not so fast my friends



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2282
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 17th, 2019, 6:23 am

2004AG wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 8:02 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 6:14 pm
No more ESPN games.
I don't care if all our games are on Facebook, personally. Whatever gets us the most money is good with me.
[b]Let’s not get too carried away. Exposure for the program matters.[/b]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate exposure, but at what cost? A partially filled stadium due to late night November starts is hardly a positive event for Utah State and what about the fans who are sitting in cold, windy and dark conditions. For me, driving back to SLC in the middle of the night is not my best choice for after game adventures. We should take the greatly improved payout all the way to the bank.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
NavyBlue



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 7785
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 215 times
Been thanked: 552 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by 2004AG » December 17th, 2019, 7:33 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 6:23 am
2004AG wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 8:02 pm
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 6:14 pm
No more ESPN games.
I don't care if all our games are on Facebook, personally. Whatever gets us the most money is good with me.
[b]Let’s not get too carried away. Exposure for the program matters.[/b]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate exposure, but at what cost? A partially filled stadium due to late night November starts is hardly a positive event for Utah State and what about the fans who are sitting in cold, windy and dark conditions. For me, driving back to SLC in the middle of the night is not my best choice for after game adventures. We should take the greatly improved payout all the way to the bank.
I hate the 8:30 games a much as anyone. I'd rather get a root canal than watch games on Facebook.

In this case, it looks like we are getting the payout, AND we don't have to be on Facebook. :rock:



bpd
Posts: 1245
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by bpd » December 17th, 2019, 7:42 am

Games will still be on Facebook and probably At @t sports. It sounds like the deal is in place, just working out a few minor details. I am not a huge ESPN fan, so I like it.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3613
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1265 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by Aggie84025 » December 17th, 2019, 8:17 am

I may be in the minority, but I enjoy watching games on CBS Sports network. I think overall they do a nice job. In my opinion Fox does a really good production as well. I realize a lot of the games would be on FS1, but I have enjoyed the production of the games I have seen there.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5927
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 566 times
Been thanked: 1156 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 17th, 2019, 8:22 am

Even if the mountain west ended up signing a deal with fox sports that paid the same as ESPN but gave us better time slots I think that would be a huge win. I hate these 8:30 starts on ESPN and think they take a toll on the fan base.



User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4351
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by aceofspadeskb » December 17th, 2019, 8:45 am

No doubt we'll still have 8:00 time slots. Fox also has TV deals with the Big10, Big12, and PAC12. That's too many games to have them all in the afternoon. If we wanted to get rid of our 8:00 start times, we needed to find a less crowded network. We didn't.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 17947
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 938 times
Been thanked: 986 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by NVAggie » December 17th, 2019, 9:05 am

Utah and the P12 play most of their games at 8 to 8:30. We will only have more of those games if this goes through.



Imakeitrain
Posts: 7943
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 475 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by Imakeitrain » December 17th, 2019, 9:07 am

$1M-3M is a pretty sweet deal. Without looking anything up, or doing any research, my expectation is that conferences aren't often getting 3X the amount on every contract renegotiation.

Also, I don't really like ESPN very much. In my experience they run interviews and public interest pieces in the middle of the game, and then scramble to cut back to a big play that they missed. I've seen this a lot more in baseball, but I seem to see it occur in our football games every now and then.


“If at first you don’t succeed, do not try skydiving”

User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 12123
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 871 times
Been thanked: 567 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by ViAggie » December 17th, 2019, 9:13 am

Mo'money less problems


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 12123
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 871 times
Been thanked: 567 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by ViAggie » December 17th, 2019, 9:14 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 6:14 pm
No more ESPN games.
and hopefully no more 8:30 PM start times in November


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
jeffdan25
Posts: 140
Joined: June 11th, 2019, 8:37 am
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by jeffdan25 » December 17th, 2019, 9:45 am

I could actually see us with early, early kickoffs. Fox is pushing hard to get teams to do the 12 noon est kickoffs. The Pac12 has pushed back against because it would be a 9 a.m. kickoff for the majority of their teams. I could honestly see the MWC taking these spots.
These users thanked the author jeffdan25 for the post:
Roy McAvoy



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5927
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 566 times
Been thanked: 1156 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 17th, 2019, 9:46 am

jeffdan25 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 9:45 am
I could actually see us with early, early kickoffs. Fox is pushing hard to get teams to do the 12 noon est kickoffs. The Pac12 has pushed back against because it would be a 9 a.m. kickoff for the majority of their teams. I could honestly see the MWC taking these spots.
My thoughts as well.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 17947
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 938 times
Been thanked: 986 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by NVAggie » December 17th, 2019, 10:11 am

Interesting. Didn't know that was in the mix.



User avatar
Chod
Posts: 195
Joined: September 22nd, 2012, 9:04 pm
Location: Smithfield
Has thanked: 75 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by Chod » December 17th, 2019, 10:30 am

This is bull :bs: :

"Thompson has said that Boise will continue to receive a bonus above what other MWC schools get as an incentive to keep the Broncos in the league."

I would rather have them bolt the league then continue to operate as the Prima donna that they are. Where are they going to go? Will their fans be excited to join the a different conference that requires them to travel even further? The pandering that goes on between the MW and Boise St. just really grates on me and makes me despise their school and resent our affiliation in the conference more and more.
These users thanked the author Chod for the post (total 7):
Aggie19aggieman2828NavyBlueAggie_in_Idahoaggies22TrueBlueAggie123Lambchops



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15695
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 867 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by brownjeans » December 17th, 2019, 10:57 am

Getting less than half what the AAC gets doesn't seem like a good deal to me. I understand the market favors eastern teams, but c'mon.



Full
Posts: 1867
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 11:07 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by Full » December 17th, 2019, 11:39 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 10:57 am
Getting less than half what the AAC gets doesn't seem like a good deal to me. I understand the market favors eastern teams, but c'mon.
If this is an 6-8 year deal then their is the opportunity to renegotiate before the 12 year AAC deal ends. I’m paying attention to the length of the deal.



User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4351
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by aceofspadeskb » December 17th, 2019, 12:42 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 10:57 am
Getting less than half what the AAC gets doesn't seem like a good deal to me. I understand the market favors eastern teams, but c'mon.
You have to look at the markets the two conferences are in. Houston, Cincinnati, Dallas, Orlando, Annapolis, and Philadelphia. That's a much bigger TV draw than San Diego, San Jose, Boise, Albequorque(sp?), Vegas, Logan, etc...



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15695
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 867 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by brownjeans » December 17th, 2019, 1:47 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:42 pm
brownjeans wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 10:57 am
Getting less than half what the AAC gets doesn't seem like a good deal to me. I understand the market favors eastern teams, but c'mon.
You have to look at the markets the two conferences are in. Houston, Cincinnati, Dallas, Orlando, Annapolis, and Philadelphia. That's a much bigger TV draw than San Diego, San Jose, Boise, Albequorque(sp?), Vegas, Logan, etc...
Market shmarket, what are the ratings comparisons?



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2282
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 17th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Chod wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 10:30 am
This is bull :bs: :

"Thompson has said that Boise will continue to receive a bonus above what other MWC schools get as an incentive to keep the Broncos in the league."


I would rather have them bolt the league then continue to operate as the Prima donna that they are. Where are they going to go? Will their fans be excited to join the a different conference that requires them to travel even further? The pandering that goes on between the MW and Boise St. just really grates on me and makes me despise their school and resent our affiliation in the conference more and more.
So tell me Commissioner Thompson, where would Boise possibly go? The Broncos and SDSU came back to the MWC directly following the implosion of the BIG EAST. In fact the Broncos have no where to go right now,,,,,period.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 3):
Aggie_in_Idahoaggies22aceofspadeskb



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 6104
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 227 times
Been thanked: 454 times
Contact:

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by TheAKAggie » December 17th, 2019, 5:51 pm

The only changes will be espn games are now on FS1. Start times and third tier rights will be similar.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hail Aggies!

SLB
Posts: 5307
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 271 times
Been thanked: 594 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by SLB » December 17th, 2019, 5:56 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:42 pm
brownjeans wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 10:57 am
Getting less than half what the AAC gets doesn't seem like a good deal to me. I understand the market favors eastern teams, but c'mon.
You have to look at the markets the two conferences are in. Houston, Cincinnati, Dallas, Orlando, Annapolis, and Philadelphia. That's a much bigger TV draw than San Diego, San Jose, Boise, Albequorque(sp?), Vegas, Logan, etc...
Yesterday news
Boise is the fastest growing city in the US.
San Diego, Fresno, San Jose, and Vegas are big cities.
Utah State is in a growing area.
New Mexico, Air Force, and Colorado State are in good sized cities, and Colorado State and Air Force have pretty good viewership. Air Force is a nationwide special since it is the Air Force.
Wyoming and Nevada have some viewership.
Hawaii is the team of Hawaii.



User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4351
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 173 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by aceofspadeskb » December 18th, 2019, 8:09 am

SLB wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 5:56 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:42 pm
brownjeans wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 10:57 am
Getting less than half what the AAC gets doesn't seem like a good deal to me. I understand the market favors eastern teams, but c'mon.
You have to look at the markets the two conferences are in. Houston, Cincinnati, Dallas, Orlando, Annapolis, and Philadelphia. That's a much bigger TV draw than San Diego, San Jose, Boise, Albequorque(sp?), Vegas, Logan, etc...
Yesterday news
Boise is the fastest growing city in the US.
San Diego, Fresno, San Jose, and Vegas are big cities.
Utah State is in a growing area.
New Mexico, Air Force, and Colorado State are in good sized cities, and Colorado State and Air Force have pretty good viewership. Air Force is a nationwide special since it is the Air Force.
Wyoming and Nevada have some viewership.
Hawaii is the team of Hawaii.
All of what you just said is true. As is what I said. We have some big markets, some fast growing markets, even a monopoly. Their markets are still bigger. Boise my be the fastest growing city in the US, but it's still not as big as any of the markets I mentioned(perhaps Annapolis, but that's the Naval academy which as you stated for Air Force, is a Nationwide special interest). San Diego, Fresno, San Jose, and Vegas are big, but not as big as Houston, Philadelphia, Dallas, and Cincinnati. Sure Utah State is growing, but it's hard to argue the fanbase is growing with the same pace as evidenced by our attendance numbers.

I don't like it either. The MW will never catch up to the bigger conferences. Truth hurts. We'll have to continue to do more with less.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post:
JSHarvey



Full
Posts: 1867
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 11:07 am
Location: Davis County
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by Full » December 18th, 2019, 9:48 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 8:09 am
All of what you just said is true. As is what I said. We have some big markets, some fast growing markets, even a monopoly. Their markets are still bigger. Boise my be the fastest growing city in the US, but it's still not as big as any of the markets I mentioned(perhaps Annapolis, but that's the Naval academy which as you stated for Air Force, is a Nationwide special interest). San Diego, Fresno, San Jose, and Vegas are big, but not as big as Houston, Philadelphia, Dallas, and Cincinnati. Sure Utah State is growing, but it's hard to argue the fanbase is growing with the same pace as evidenced by our attendance numbers.

I don't like it either. The MW will never catch up to the bigger conferences. Truth hurts. We'll have to continue to do more with less.
The ability to play late games should get us closer to a level playing field. Hair specifically said the biggest value to broadcasters is the ability to play late at night. Does it really matter that UCF is playing in a large media market when Florida is playing at the same time. Does the media market where Cincinnati, SMU, or Houston play matter when Ohio State, TCU, Texas, or Texas A&M are the featured games on TV.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 15695
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 867 times

Re: MW has New TV deal

Post by brownjeans » December 18th, 2019, 11:48 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 8:09 am
SLB wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 5:56 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:42 pm
brownjeans wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 10:57 am
Getting less than half what the AAC gets doesn't seem like a good deal to me. I understand the market favors eastern teams, but c'mon.
You have to look at the markets the two conferences are in. Houston, Cincinnati, Dallas, Orlando, Annapolis, and Philadelphia. That's a much bigger TV draw than San Diego, San Jose, Boise, Albequorque(sp?), Vegas, Logan, etc...
Yesterday news
Boise is the fastest growing city in the US.
San Diego, Fresno, San Jose, and Vegas are big cities.
Utah State is in a growing area.
New Mexico, Air Force, and Colorado State are in good sized cities, and Colorado State and Air Force have pretty good viewership. Air Force is a nationwide special since it is the Air Force.
Wyoming and Nevada have some viewership.
Hawaii is the team of Hawaii.
All of what you just said is true. As is what I said. We have some big markets, some fast growing markets, even a monopoly. Their markets are still bigger. Boise my be the fastest growing city in the US, but it's still not as big as any of the markets I mentioned(perhaps Annapolis, but that's the Naval academy which as you stated for Air Force, is a Nationwide special interest). San Diego, Fresno, San Jose, and Vegas are big, but not as big as Houston, Philadelphia, Dallas, and Cincinnati. Sure Utah State is growing, but it's hard to argue the fanbase is growing with the same pace as evidenced by our attendance numbers.

I don't like it either. The MW will never catch up to the bigger conferences. Truth hurts. We'll have to continue to do more with less.
As we learned with San Jose, the size of the market isn't as important as interest. No one in their market cars about watching San Jose. Ratings for the games matter more than population in the "market" area.



Locked Previous topicNext topic