which FR from last yrs class need to take a big step for next yr?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 16th, 2019, 2:19 pm

DB'S - Lampkin showed that he has the ability to become a stater in the future so I hope that he is pushing for a starting role, which will help push upperclassmen to perform at a higher level. I'd also like to see if Tatum can start to show his talents,
LB- hopefully with a yr in the weight room Willingham and Thomson can push guys because this position needs to be able to produce,
DL- we have a lot of youth at these positions I'm hopeful that Rice and Bowcut can make a jump such at #92 did. both these guys already have good size. I'LL add some offensive guys later. what's your guys thoughts

CanuckAggie

Re: which FR from last yrs class need to take a big step for next yr?

Post by CanuckAggie » December 16th, 2019, 2:30 pm

I think that's a good list of names to watch.

I'd add Enoch Nawahine at RB. I hope he gets a decent amount of meaningful carries next year as I think he could be a big-time producer by the time he is done here.

I also hope Andy Koch at tackle lives up to all the praise he got from the coaches this year. I've got to think our O-line can make a big leap from where they were at this year.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 16th, 2019, 2:56 pm

- I think we need Elijah Shelton to take a big step forward at LB. He didn't have a great showing when he played. Which is understandable given he was a Freshman but hopefully it gets better.

- The entire O-line has to get stronger physically and needs to improve run blocking.

- As it stands right now we need Enoch Nawahine to be good next year or we're hurting at RB.

- Our corners are decent in pass coverage but we need the defensive backs as a whole to take a big step forward in their tackling.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 16th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I am hoping we have a few guys step up that were freshman this year at the wide receiving position. I specifically have high hopes for Ajani Carter! I do not know much about the other freshman WR....any that could step up and fill a role or get decent playing time? Looks like we have 5 freshman WRs. Ajani Carter, Tim Patrick Jr, Sawyer Merrill, Kanen Eaton, Kyle Van Leeuwen. Any of these guys any good? To be completely honest, I did not know we had guys named Tim Patrick, Sawyer Merrill, and Kanen Eaton on the team. I assume Van Leeuwen is the brother of the previous Van Leeuwen.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 16th, 2019, 3:21 pm

OL- Hill and Owen look like very talented guys that can add depth and push for playing time,
RB- I agree that Nawahine needs to show some flash we don't have much depth here.
WR-AJ Carter needs to earn playing time because we need him, Patrick needs to also show something, maybe also Eaton. We really lack talent at the outside WR spots. Hopefully we can get some FR that we can bring in a develop.
most our help looks like it will come in the form of JC's and Grad trans.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 16th, 2019, 3:30 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 3:11 pm
I am hoping we have a few guys step up that were freshman this year at the wide receiving position. I specifically have high hopes for Ajani Carter! I do not know much about the other freshman WR....any that could step up and fill a role or get decent playing time? Looks like we have 5 freshman WRs. Ajani Carter, Tim Patrick Jr, Sawyer Merrill, Kanen Eaton, Kyle Van Leeuwen. Any of these guys any good? To be completely honest, I did not know we had guys named Tim Patrick, Sawyer Merrill, and Kanen Eaton on the team. I assume Van Leeuwen is the brother of the previous Van Leeuwen.
IMO the only guys on this list that have a chance at seeing the field next year at WR are Ajani Carter & Tim Patrick Jr. And even then I think the jury is still out here. I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in a JC WR & a grad transfer WR.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 16th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Bryce Mortenson at TE. Repp was a real weapon this year and even though we will have a boatload of senior TE’s next season (Terrell, Lee, Manu, Boman) I don’t think any of them are near the receiving threat (size/speed/hands) as Repp was. Mortenson was such an all around athlete in high school. First team all-state in football as a receiver, first team regional basketball player, and regional high jump champ to boot! With all those accolades and standing 6’6” and 240-250lbs, I think he could be a real weapon.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 16th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 3:30 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
IMO the only guys on this list that have a chance at seeing the field next year at WR are Ajani Carter & Tim Patrick Jr. And even then I think the jury is still out here. I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in a JC WR & a grad transfer WR.
Ok thanks! I love picking up one or two grad transfers, but I would really like us to get a really solid freshman WR some time that could impact every year while at Utah State. Seems like our best wide receivers are here for a year or two and then gone. The exception of this is Tarver as he played fairly well for 3 years and then some of our past TE's.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 16th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 3:30 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
100% agreed. When it comes to receiving, AJ Carter and Tim Patrick have shown us nothing. It's rumored that Carter may even be moving to safety. We are absolutely in the market for grad transfer and JuCo WRs. We are also looking for a grad transfer RB. The redshirt freshmen are not guys that will make an impact next season. Kyle Van Leeuwen is an RM, Kanen Eaton is a 3* dude but he's a walk-on. I've heard that Oakley Hussey might be moving to WR. If it's not WR, he will be an RB. Walk-on Sawyer Merrill may not even be on the team next year.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 16th, 2019, 4:21 pm

I agree with a lot of what you guys are stating about our WR core. It seems like the only success we've had with bringing in HS WR is at the slot positions. Even when I look back at GA's 1st stint most our outside guys were JC players. I don't know who's currently recruiting FL but we don't seem to be making any headway there this yr.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 16th, 2019, 4:35 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 4:21 pm
I agree with a lot of what you guys are stating about our WR core. It seems like the only success we've had with bringing in HS WR is at the slot positions. Even when I look back at GA's 1st stint most our outside guys were JC players. I don't know who's currently recruiting FL but we don't seem to be making any headway there this yr.
We currently do not have the greatest name in the State of Florida when it comes to the recruiting game. Our presence has become basically non-existent.

I believe that Coach Andersen recruited Travis Van Leeuwen and Travis Reynolds. I felt like they were good outside receivers. But overall, I think you are correct with your JuCo observation.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 16th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Ahh yes I forgot about those 2 Renyolds was having a breakout yr before his injury. And Van Leewuen was Sold and tough. Got to know his dad during spring and fall camps when he was here, great family!
These users thanked the author JFW_AGGIES for the post:
aggies22

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 16th, 2019, 4:45 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 4:35 pm
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
We currently do not have the greatest name in the State of Florida when it comes to the recruiting game. Our presence has become basically non-existent.

I believe that Coach Andersen recruited Travis Van Leeuwen and Travis Reynolds. I felt like they were good outside receivers. But overall, I think you are correct with your JuCo observation.
What's happened with FL, where's Caputo recruiting I haven't seen any guy's that he been in on.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 16th, 2019, 5:08 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 4:45 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 4:35 pm
JFW_AGGIES wrote:

What's happened with FL, where's Caputo recruiting I haven't seen any guy's that he been in on.
I believe Caputo's primary area is Arizona. However, he was the secondary recruiter on Luke Marion. If any of you have been reading my interviews with our commits you'll find that Stacy Collins has been the primary recruiter on many of our commits.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 16th, 2019, 5:37 pm

I've noticed him,Frank and Sanford seem like our main recruiters

Locked Previous topicNext topic