Texas fires Orlando

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Re: Texas fires Orlando

Post by TheAKAggie » December 1st, 2019, 9:12 pm

aggies22 wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 8:31 pm
Sl7vk wrote:One mans trash is another’s treasure.
Logan has changed a lot since he was here anyway.
I doubt a Culver’s and a second Costa Vida will be enough to sway them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But, but there's two Starbucks!

Hail Aggies!

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » December 1st, 2019, 9:24 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 8:49 pm
TheAKAggie wrote:

Are you counting the one inside Smiths?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 1st, 2019, 11:12 pm

YouEssYou wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 9:24 pm
aggies22 wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

Are you counting the one inside Smiths?
I am not. So there's three!!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USU78

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » December 1st, 2019, 11:39 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 5:50 pm
One mans trash is another’s treasure.
-Yup, this is true. We now have an up-to-date press box
-3 Starbucks as pointed out earlier
-Krispy Kreme
-Lucky Slice Pizza
-Even Stevens
-Del Taco
-Wingers reopened in the mall
-A second Costa Vida will open up soon along with a second Marriott
-Hampton In on 200 N so his family has a place to stay when the come to visit
-Center Street Development just finished
-There are less farmer’s fields...which in my opinion is unfortunate...but maybe Mrs. Orlando would dig that.
-The Cooper Mill came back and went, so we don’t have that going for us
-Movies 5 is gone out north, so if his family wants close access to movies they should maybe find a place in central Logan or in Providence
-Sweeto Burrito
-We lost Shopko and Macey’s on 400 N....suppose coach Orlando is an entrepreneur at heart, he has two prime locations to open something big
-Cherry Peak is now a thing. It wasn’t open with his first stint.
-He may not be able to do graffiti on the water towers this time. They have really cracked down on that, but a new trail system has really developed so he may find that enticing.
These users thanked the author TrueBlueFan for the post:
JSHarvey

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

ususports

Post by ususports » December 2nd, 2019, 12:40 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 8:24 pm
And BTW we have a DC on staff better than Orlando. He just happens to be coaching the TE's right now.
No we don't. He might be better than our current DC, but he is definitely not better than Orlando. Last year's defensive success was because of Patterson. When I saw how conservative Maile would call defensive plays (and our cornerbacks would be 100-150 yards off the line of scrimmage--sometimes in the stands watching the game with the fans instead of guarding the receivers), I remember thinking to myself, this makes sense, he played for Brent Guy. As has been pointed out many times, our best defenses have been when we were extremely aggressive, and that is not Maile's style. I think he is a great guy and glad he is still on our staff, but I would be less than excited if we were to make him our DC again.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
BustaMcNutt

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 2nd, 2019, 5:41 am

A 3-4 defense lends itself to aggression by its very nature. The 4-3 alignment didn't serve us at all well this season and that the 4-3 continued to be our basic set during the year continued to confirm the inability of Ena to use the talent on hand he inherited from the 2018 season.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 2nd, 2019, 6:09 am

The biggest issue this yr was our LB's inability to hit their gaps quickly. Woody was great until his injury, once he went down our D really struggled. Go watch the NM game again our LB's were very tenative on reading their keys and hitting the right gaps. When they were in position to make a decision the backs would bounce to the outside and our backers didn't have the speed to bounce it and make the tackle. There were a lot of missed tackles by this group on Sat.

cbingham

Post by cbingham » December 2nd, 2019, 7:17 am

I’m a Texas season ticket holder... a couple of thoughts on Orlando:
- He didn’t coach the same aggressive defense at UT as he did at USU
- His defense was ranked >100 this year. This with Almost all 5 and 4 star players... granted it was a young defense and a lot of injuries. Still >100
- Texas is the number 2 money program last year, will be 1 this year and has the state with really high end recruiting talent and established recruiting pipelines which have led to top 5 recruiting ranks over the last 3 years. They also pay key assistants 2X what USU will pay HCs. Additionally single game tickets can cost as much as season tickets at smaller schools. Expectations should be high
- Todd is an east coast guy, I have some friends I’m common. They didn’t hate Logan but we’re ready to get further east. I think we’ll see him take a season off and get back to a DC role in a tier 2 P5 conference team.
These users thanked the author cbingham for the post:
SlumJum

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 2nd, 2019, 8:00 am

Once global warming really starts kicking in Orlando's wife is really going to be kicking herself.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 2nd, 2019, 2:05 pm

ususports wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 12:40 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
And BTW we have a DC on staff better than Orlando. He just happens to be coaching the TE's right now.
No we don't. He might be better than our current DC, but he is definitely not better than Orlando. Last year's defensive success was because of Patterson. When I saw how conservative Maile would call defensive plays (and our cornerbacks would be 100-150 yards off the line of scrimmage--sometimes in the stands watching the game with the fans instead of guarding the receivers), I remember thinking to myself, this makes sense, he played for Brent Guy. As has been pointed out many times, our best defenses have been when we were extremely aggressive, and that is not Maile's style. I think he is a great guy and glad he is still on our staff, but I would be less than excited if we were to make him our DC again.
I want guys that are "all in for USU" .. Orlando was never that or ever going to be that. Frank is.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 2nd, 2019, 5:54 pm

Frank, bless him, may be all in for Utah State but I've not seen the performance out of him yet that would make him into a stellar D C.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 2nd, 2019, 6:08 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 5:54 pm
Frank, bless him, may be all in for Utah State but I've not seen the performance out of him yet that would make him into a stellar D C.
After the way he handled the team at the end of last year, I'd support of Frank as our next HC whenever that's a need.
I didn't feel that way before the bowl game, but he changed my mind.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
newtonianblueoleblu111BLUERUFiO

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 2nd, 2019, 6:22 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:Frank, bless him, may be all in for Utah State but I've not seen the performance out of him yet that would make him into a stellar D C.
Frank is all in for Utah State and single handedly held this team together last year after the bowl game. That dude has earned anything that comes his way.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
newtonianblueoleblu111

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ususports

Post by ususports » December 3rd, 2019, 2:28 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 2:05 pm
ususports wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
I want guys that are "all in for USU" .. Orlando was never that or ever going to be that. Frank is.
All things being equal, loyalty should definitely be a factor, but in this case, the two people being compared are not equal (Orlando was a better DC). If being “all in for USU” is the highest priority, let’s call Duryea and tell him he can have his job back. Again, I am not ragging on Maile. Glad he is here, I appreciate what he did when the rest of the staff took off for TT last year, but it is silly to say he is a better DC than Orlando and saying “he is all in for USU” as a reason for justification.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13BustaMcNutt

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 3rd, 2019, 5:46 am

dyedblue wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 6:22 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:Frank, bless him, may be all in for Utah State but I've not seen the performance out of him yet that would make him into a stellar D C.
Frank is all in for Utah State and single handedly held this team together last year after the bowl game. That dude has earned anything that comes his way.

While I absolutely do not want to diminish what Frank was able to accomplish last bowl season, we need to acknowledge that Stacy Collins was a big part of that as well.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 3rd, 2019, 5:40 pm

dyedblue wrote:

Think you have to throw some credit at Nyborg and Collins on that front as well. Triple handed!

Hail Aggies!

dyedblue

Texas fires Orlando

Post by dyedblue » December 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm

Duly noted AK and ‘22

Last edited by dyedblue on December 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 4th, 2019, 1:22 pm

ususports wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 2:28 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ususports wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
All things being equal, loyalty should definitely be a factor, but in this case, the two people being compared are not equal (Orlando was a better DC). If being “all in for USU” is the highest priority, let’s call Duryea and tell him he can have his job back. Again, I am not ragging on Maile. Glad he is here, I appreciate what he did when the rest of the staff took off for TT last year, but it is silly to say he is a better DC than Orlando and saying “he is all in for USU” as a reason for justification.
Todd was fired by UCONN, FIU, and Texas.. He was good at USU for 1-1/2 years with players he didn't get here same with Houston same with Texas. Todd is good with other coaches players .

Todd as a DC

2019 Texas 28.91 PPG
2018 Texas 26.07 PPG
2017 Texas 19.92 PPG

2016 Houston 23.46 PPG
2015 Houston 22.14 PPG

2014 USU 19.7 PPG
2013 USU 17.1 PPG

2012 FIU 31.7 PPG
2011 FIU 19.5 PPG

Red highlights the low PPG at at school

I doubt it is coincidence that is best years are always his 1st year. Todd isn't that good. He had a good 2 years here and very average everywhere eles.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 4th, 2019, 2:25 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 1:22 pm
ususports wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ususports wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
Todd was fired by UCONN, FIU, and Texas.. He was good at USU for 1-1/2 years with players he didn't get here same with Houston same with Texas. Todd is good with other coaches players .

Todd as a DC

2019 Texas 28.91 PPG
2018 Texas 26.07 PPG
2017 Texas 19.92 PPG

2016 Houston 23.46 PPG
2015 Houston 22.14 PPG

2014 USU 19.7 PPG
2013 USU 17.1 PPG

2012 FIU 31.7 PPG
2011 FIU 19.5 PPG

I doubt it is coincidence that is best years are always his 1st year. Todd isn't that good. He had a good 2 years here and very average everywhere eles.
I don't think he was fired by UConn or FIU. You have a link or something on that?

ususports

Post by ususports » December 4th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 2:25 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ususports wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ususports wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Todd as a DC

2019 Texas 28.91 PPG
2018 Texas 26.07 PPG
2017 Texas 19.92 PPG

2016 Houston 23.46 PPG
2015 Houston 22.14 PPG

2014 USU 19.7 PPG
2013 USU 17.1 PPG

2012 FIU 31.7 PPG
2011 FIU 19.5 PPG

I don't think he was fired by UConn or FIU. You have a link or something on that?
When Maile was Co-Defensive Coordinator (and the Co indicates he wasn't good enough to be named the main guy all stats aside) our numbers were:

2016 - 29.3 PPG Allowed
2017 - 26.9 PPG Allowed
2018 - 22.23 PPG Allowed (and if anyone thinks that Patterson was not the main reason for the drastic improvement is only kidding themselves).

You are making a much bigger deal of this than I ever intended with my comments, but whether you think Orlando is good or not, he was still a better coordinator at USU than Maile using your own numbers.

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » December 4th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
No link, but here's the info. :noidea: :noidea:

At the end of the 2010 season, Randy Edsall left UConn to be the head coach at Maryland. He hired Todd Bradford to be his defensive coordinator, leaving Todd Orlando unemployed. Mario Cristobal then hired Todd Orlando in January 2011 to be the DC at FIU...so no he wasn't fired by UConn.

Mario Cristobal was then fired by FIU in December 2012 and thus his staff was also relieved of their duties. Todd Orlando was then hired by Matt Wells as our DC in February 2013. So, I guess technically he wasn't fired by FIU either, just his boss was.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 4th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Floppy Hat wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 3:40 pm
Intermeddler wrote:

At the end of the 2010 season, Randy Edsall left UConn to be the head coach at Maryland. He hired Todd Bradford to be his defensive coordinator, leaving Todd Orlando unemployed. Mario Cristobal then hired Todd Orlando in January 2011 to be the DC at FIU...so no he wasn't fired by UConn.

Mario Cristobal was then fired by FIU in December 2012 and thus his staff was also relieved of their duties. Todd Orlando was then hired by Matt Wells as our DC in February 2013. So, I guess technically he wasn't fired by FIU either, just his boss was.
Helpful. Thanks. So the victim of coaching changes (good and bad) but not terminated in the same manner as he was by Texas.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 4th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 4:06 pm
Floppy Hat wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

Helpful. Thanks. So the victim of coaching changes (good and bad) but not terminated in the same manner as he was by Texas.

Very few assistants are ever truly fired. ( doubt he was at Texas ) nearly all assistants sign 1 year contract and when they are "fired" it means they just didn't renew their contract. Contracts run out at the end of the regular season usually.

There are a few OC/DC that have a rolling contract. Todd may have had one at Texas but that's it. (arandas is a 3 year rolling )

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 5th, 2019, 11:07 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:15 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
Floppy Hat wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

Very few assistants are ever truly fired. ( doubt he was at Texas ) nearly all assistants sign 1 year contract and when they are "fired" it means they just didn't renew their contract. Contracts run out at the end of the regular season usually.

There are a few OC/DC that have a rolling contract. Todd may have had one at Texas but that's it. (arandas is a 3 year rolling )
Yes, but there is a difference between your HC taking a different job or being fired and the new guy not retaining you and your current HC telling you that you are not cutting it and not renewing or terminating your employment. It appears this is the first time the latter has happened to Orlando.

And Orlando was guaranteed through March of 2020, so yes, he was truly fired.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Art ... 130723878/

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 5th, 2019, 11:14 am

Intermeddler wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 11:07 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:15 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
Floppy Hat wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

Yes, but there is a difference between your HC taking a different job or being fired and the new guy not retaining you and your current HC telling you that you are not cutting it and not renewing or terminating your employment. It appears this is the first time the latter has happened to Orlando.

And Orlando was guaranteed through March of 2020, so yes, he was truly fired.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Art ... 130723878/
Tell Orlando to contact Duryea. He might be able to get the rest of that contract money.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 5th, 2019, 1:41 pm

It has been reported that Orlando made very good money while at Texas. I thought he did wonders while in Logan and don't expect him to go begging for work if he chooses to continue coaching..

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 5th, 2019, 5:10 pm

ususports wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 2:55 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ususports wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ususports wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Todd as a DC

2019 Texas 28.91 PPG
2018 Texas 26.07 PPG
2017 Texas 19.92 PPG

2016 Houston 23.46 PPG
2015 Houston 22.14 PPG

2014 USU 19.7 PPG
2013 USU 17.1 PPG

2012 FIU 31.7 PPG
2011 FIU 19.5 PPG

When Maile was Co-Defensive Coordinator (and the Co indicates he wasn't good enough to be named the main guy all stats aside) our numbers were:

2016 - 29.3 PPG Allowed
2017 - 26.9 PPG Allowed
2018 - 22.23 PPG Allowed (and if anyone thinks that Patterson was not the main reason for the drastic improvement is only kidding themselves).

You are making a much bigger deal of this than I ever intended with my comments, but whether you think Orlando is good or not, he was still a better coordinator at USU than Maile using your own numbers.
So you are saying the defense got better every year with Frank at DC and got worse every year with Todd was DC ?? And that is a bad thing ?

ususports

Post by ususports » December 5th, 2019, 10:57 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 5:10 pm
ususports wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 2:55 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ususports wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ususports wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Todd as a DC

2019 Texas 28.91 PPG
2018 Texas 26.07 PPG
2017 Texas 19.92 PPG

2016 Houston 23.46 PPG
2015 Houston 22.14 PPG

2014 USU 19.7 PPG
2013 USU 17.1 PPG

2012 FIU 31.7 PPG
2011 FIU 19.5 PPG

2016 - 29.3 PPG Allowed
2017 - 26.9 PPG Allowed

So you are saying the defense got better every year with Frank at DC and got worse every year with Todd was DC ?? And that is a bad thing ?
And you are saying that Orlando’s worst year at USU is still significantly better than Maile’s best year even though his best year was heavily aided by Patterson who was clearly calling the defense last year (i.e. shouldn’t even count for Maile). Let’s agree to disagree. :cheers:

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 6th, 2019, 12:00 am

Its hard to blame Orlando for the type of D he ran at Texas. That is usually a head coaches preference along with allowed agression levels. As I recall Orlando adjusted to a 3-4 which he hadn't run a ton of in the past when he came to USU.

Orlando had a team led by Zach Vigil and full of NFL talent. Nonetheless, the Defense when he left it was still full of talent and went to hell the next year. He ran the best defense the Aggies have ever had with Andersen's recruits. How much of that was adopting Aranda's stuff I don't know but he did a hell of a job with it.

If he would come back and be tasked by Gary with running an aggressive 3-4 or 3 3 5 it would be the best thing that happened to this team. A massive upgrade. I know that's not in the works and won't happen but to diss on Orlando is ridiculous. Just look at what an NFL loaded defense did the year after he left.

Something is wrong with Texas football culture. Their team and particular their defenses have vastly underperformed for years regardless of coaching despite having the most resources and top 10 talent every year. I don't know why but I wouldn't judge Orlando off of that.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 6th, 2019, 8:51 am

Why has a thread about Orlando become an attack on Maile? We're a bag of dicks.

ususports

Post by ususports » December 6th, 2019, 9:35 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 8:51 am
Why has a thread about Orlando become an attack on Maile? We're a bag of dicks.
First of all, I am a boob guy, so I have no interest in dicks. To answer your question, it is primarily because Frank’s wife likes to argue on this site. You’ll notice in multiple comments, I have expressed I am happy to have Maile on our staff, but Orlando was a better DC.

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » December 6th, 2019, 9:36 am

aggies22 wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

what about the new Jersey Mikes??

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » December 6th, 2019, 9:38 am

TrueBlueFan wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 11:39 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
-Krispy Kreme
-Lucky Slice Pizza
-Even Stevens
-Del Taco
-There are less farmer’s fields...which in my opinion is unfortunate...but maybe Mrs. Orlando would dig that.
-Movies 5 is gone out north, so if his family wants close access to movies they should maybe find a place in central Logan or in Providence
-Sweeto Burrito
-We lost Shopko and Macey’s on 400 N....suppose coach Orlando is an entrepreneur at heart, he has two prime locations to open something big
-He may not be able to do graffiti on the water towers this time. They have really cracked down on that, but a new trail system has really developed so he may find that enticing.
I'm sold. Searching for a job in Cache Valley starting now.
These users thanked the author AGNUMPI for the post:
oleblu111

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 6th, 2019, 10:35 am

JFWAggie wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 9:36 am
aggies22 wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

what about the new Jersey Mikes??
I've gotta pass, one of my best friends owns Capriottis.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 6th, 2019, 11:18 am

AGNUMPI wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 9:38 am
TrueBlueFan wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 11:39 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
-Krispy Kreme
-Lucky Slice Pizza
-Even Stevens
-Del Taco
-Sweeto Burrito
I'm sold. Searching for a job in Cache Valley starting now.
With all that you guys left out the only thing that a fellow from the east just might like in Logan. Old Chicago Pizza and TAP ROOM is now open.

He made $1,700,000 at Texas he ain't coming back.

Locked Previous topicNext topic