One of Justin Ena's biggest problems

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

One of Justin Ena's biggest problems

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 27th, 2019, 10:43 am

He got used to having the kind of defensive linemen he had at Utah. Linemen that are able to get pressure on quarterbacks with a 3 or 4 man rush, so he didn't have to be creative with coverage there, like he needs to be here. And going deep on the D-line there. We can hope that with a year experience, he has learned that he has to be more creative with scheming cause he doesn't have the type of linemen he had at Utah. I would almost compare it to getting used to working on cars in a shop with all the expensive tools, then trying to do it in a driveway with cheap hand tools after getting used to the power tools.

That, and/or recruit d-linemen similar to what Utah has. While we will never be able to land the type that they are able to land in the PAC-12, we can at least hope to land linemen similar to what Utah was able to land in their Mountain West days which were always fairly solid even back then.

I can remember when Gary took over the first time around, and told us that James Brindley was similar to Eric Weddle, and my first thought was that I knew he has to cater to us being our coach now and tell us what we want to hear instead of how good Utah was, but I also hoped he didn't think any of defensive linemen at the time were better than or similar to Paul Kruger.

mcaggie1

Re: One of Justin Ena's biggest problems

Post by mcaggie1 » November 27th, 2019, 10:58 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 10:43 am
He got used to having the kind of defensive linemen he had at Utah. Linemen that are able to get pressure on quarterbacks with a 3 or 4 man rush, so he didn't have to be creative with coverage there, like he needs to be here. And going deep on the D-line there. We can hope that with a year experience, he has learned that he has to be more creative with scheming cause he doesn't have the type of linemen he had at Utah. I would almost compare it to getting used to working on cars in a shop with all the expensive tools, then trying to do it in a driveway with cheap hand tools after getting used to the power tools.

That, and/or recruit d-linemen similar to what Utah has. While we will never be able to land the type that they are able to land in the PAC-12, we can at least hope to land linemen similar to what Utah was able to land in their Mountain West days which were always fairly solid even back then.

I can remember when Gary took over the first time around, and told us that James Brindley was similar to Eric Weddle, and my first thought was that I knew he has to cater to us being our coach now and tell us what we want to hear instead of how good Utah was, but I also hoped he didn't think any of defensive linemen at the time were better than or similar to Paul Kruger.
I agree with your point. What I don’t understand is this. Going in to the season everyone was so excited about our front seven, especially with the quality and depth of the d line. “Strength of the team was the claim.” I know we had an injury or two, but still..... why the disconnect. We went from good to lousy quickly. Maybe Woodward is that good that he makes the Dline in front of him look that much better? .....or were we overhyping the front 4?

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 27th, 2019, 11:01 am

I don’t recall Patterson’s history but Aranda and Houston came from smaller programs that had to scheme and be creative to mask the D’s deficiencies. This year we went head up and it has not worked. Worried that there was no adjustments, at least that I can tell. But I’m more of an offensive genius as I sim the D while playing video games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 27th, 2019, 11:09 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 11:01 am
I don’t recall Patterson’s history but Aranda and Houston came from smaller programs that had to scheme and be creative to mask the D’s deficiencies. This year we went head up and it has not worked. Worried that there was no adjustments, at least that I can tell. But I’m more of an offensive genius as I sim the D while playing video games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patterson had been at Arizona State, West Virginia and Pittsburgh. Those are P5 schools that, while they do get some solid highly hated athletes, they still get guys kind of down the line from those that USC, Texas and Ohio State get. In the case of Utah, they might get more highly hated guys at other positions, but Utah gets higher rated d-linemen. And you have a point that Hawaii where Aranda was at, and Florida International where Orlando came from, are schools that have deficiencies that have to be schemed to mask.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
TheAKAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic