Love leads college football in...

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 23rd, 2019, 10:53 pm

...interceptions.

But he won't be back next year. First round NFL talent I hear. Hmm...

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Love leads college football in...

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 23rd, 2019, 11:09 pm

I doubt he goes NFL, but he might transfer somewhere. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to get away from Sanford.

ususports

Post by ususports » November 23rd, 2019, 11:13 pm

Most of his interceptions have been returned for touchdowns, so NFL scouts are doubling his current touchdown total for the season in considering his potential.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
inigoNVAggie

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 23rd, 2019, 11:16 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:I doubt he goes NFL, but he might transfer somewhere. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to get away from Sanford.
Then he should stay here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » November 23rd, 2019, 11:16 pm

Picks won’t hurt him, NFL coaches can fix that, he will still go fairly early in draft. USU wasted the talent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 23rd, 2019, 11:22 pm

I don't want Love next year. Draft or transfer, doesn't matter to me. He may have one of the best arms we've had, but he hasn't been good this year. I know, blame the line and the receivers. Sure. But Love has been great a couple of games, and awful a whole bunch.

I really wanted to see Colombi tonight. I think he has the scrambling ability that can really help a mediocre to bad offense.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » November 23rd, 2019, 11:25 pm

AgMac wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 11:22 pm
I don't want Love next year. Draft or transfer, doesn't matter to me. He may have one of the best arms we've had, but he hasn't been good this year. I know, blame the line and the receivers. Sure. But Love has been great a couple of games, and awful a whole bunch.

I really wanted to see Colombi tonight. I think he has the scrambling ability that can really help a mediocre to bad offense.

Lame comment! He is absolutely incredible QB with little to no help at all and a complete jacked up offense game plan!
These users thanked the author aggiesdidwhat for the post (total 9):
MetsJetsAggiesBadElbowQuackAttackAggieaggieguy13aggies22ProvoAggieAggieFBObsessionusufan1sneed

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 23rd, 2019, 11:30 pm

AgMac wrote:

Love is great. The idea that you could just insert another quarterback and our offense would all of a sudden be better is not a reality. Love is our greatest asset. This year has not been his fault.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
BadElbow

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 23rd, 2019, 11:32 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 11:16 pm
Picks won’t hurt him, NFL coaches can fix that, he will still go fairly early in draft. USU wasted the talent.

We'll see. I agree Love is great and this year was not his fault or at least primarily not his fault, but I also don't see how you can say this year didn't hurt his draft stock.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 23rd, 2019, 11:41 pm

AgMac wrote:I don't want Love next year. Draft or transfer, doesn't matter to me. He may have one of the best arms we've had, but he hasn't been good this year. I know, blame the line and the receivers. Sure. But Love has been great a couple of games, and awful a whole bunch.

I agree. Love lost this game for us with his pick. I don’t care what play it is, he shouldn’t throw the ball without looking to see if the receiver is gonna be open. We had all the momentum before that pick. Colombi is our future and we should let him have some playing time. Love is gonna be gone after this year whether he transfers or goes to the NFL.

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » November 23rd, 2019, 11:44 pm

I know several of you were reactive to my early season post - NFL scout friends of mine had Love projected as a 5th round pick. Just spoke with one of them tonight who indicated that despite Love's poor year his ceiling is the 2nd round and floor being the 5th round. I never quite understand what they specifically look for...all three were critical of his play at Wake and the one with whom I spoke tonight thought Love's Wyoming game despite the interceptions was an NFL type game. Anyway he said after last weeks Chicago Bears' loss and Mitch Trubisky's struggles the Bears even more so are thinking of using a high draft pick on Love. I would be thrilled if that were the case... two QBs mentored by Yost on the roster...Love and Chase Daniel.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 23rd, 2019, 11:51 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 11:41 pm
AgMac wrote:I don't want Love next year. Draft or transfer, doesn't matter to me. He may have one of the best arms we've had, but he hasn't been good this year. I know, blame the line and the receivers. Sure. But Love has been great a couple of games, and awful a whole bunch.

I agree. Love lost this game for us with his pick. I don’t care what play it is, he shouldn’t throw the ball without looking to see if the receiver is gonna be open. We had all the momentum before that pick. Colombi is our future and we should let him have some playing time. Love is gonna be gone after this year whether he transfers or goes to the NFL.
Be careful what you wish for. NFL QB Talents like Love don't come around very often. There is much more going on than just quarterback play.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ProvoAggie

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 23rd, 2019, 11:53 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:

So he'll suddenly improve once he faces the best players in the world?
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 23rd, 2019, 11:55 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 11:51 pm
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:

Be careful what you wish for. NFL QB Talents like Love don't come around very often. There is much more going on than just quarterback play.
I don't think anyone is blaming Love for the outcomes. Just pointing out the paradox of him being called a first round NFL player vs the results against college players.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 24th, 2019, 12:00 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 23rd, 2019, 11:53 pm
Jjoey53 wrote:

How was he so good last season? Dude has Mahomes-esque ability, arm strength, mobility, accuracy. He's trying to do too much which leads to INTs, our offensive game planning is garbage this year and we are only winning games because Love and a few others over come it miraculously. If anyone else on the roster was at QB we'd probably win no more than 4 games

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 24th, 2019, 12:04 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 12:00 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

How was he so good last season? Dude has Mahomes-esque ability, arm strength, mobility, accuracy. He's trying to do too much which leads to INTs, our offensive game planning is garbage this year and we are only winning games because Love and a few others over come it miraculously. If anyone else on the roster was at QB we'd probably win no more than 4 games
Yep. People calling for Love to be benched or talking about how he is overrated have short term memories. He is a great quarterback who led us to our longest winning streak in school history. There are far more problems related to our offense than the Quarterback. Some fans just trash the QB when the team is losing without looking any deeper at all. Washington also has been underachieving this year. Yet their QB Eason will be drafted next year. It isn't always on the QB. We are very lucky to have had Love in our program.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 24th, 2019, 12:06 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

No, he doesn't have Mahones abilities. Not even close; he's not nearly as mobile and no, his arm isn't as good. Mahones played for poor teams at TT in a conference loaded with NFL talent, and still hung up ridiculous numbers.

Love was great last season because he is a good player, but the schedule was WEAK. Look at his performance against good teams even last year - average to poor.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » November 24th, 2019, 12:08 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

Absolutely agree Mets. These comments are so emotional.... Dropping all this blame on him. I pray he stays another year and GA has more time to build a team around him. But if we keep our OC Love should leave. He deserves way more.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 24th, 2019, 12:18 am

I'd get this comment about Williams for example but love is great for the program. Plays hard, good example, just hasn't gone his way this season.

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 24th, 2019, 12:30 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 12:06 am
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

No, he doesn't have Mahones abilities. Not even close; he's not nearly as mobile and no, his arm isn't as good. Mahones played for poor teams at TT in a conference loaded with NFL talent, and still hung up ridiculous numbers.

Love was great last season because he is a good player, but the schedule was WEAK. Look at his performance against good teams even last year - average to poor.
Want to know what his numbers were against only bowl teams last year?

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 24th, 2019, 1:24 am

Love may have all the nfl potential in the world. He may have been hamstrung this year by coaches, or receivers, or his line. He may be trying to do too much. And he has certainly shown some brilliance during his USU career.

But he has not been good this year. I'm sorry. He just hasn't. His stats will tell you that. Any person not hanging a USU degree on their wall will tell you that. I'm sure even nfl scouts, who believe he is a good nfl prospect, would say that.

His interceptions are momentum slayers. He's been off on a lot of throws. He is hesitant to scramble even when there is a lot of open field.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
Mr. Sneelock

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 24th, 2019, 1:35 am

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:

Love lost this game for us with his pick? Did someone really type that and enter that into the world.

Boise could have scored 70+ tonight if they wanted and you think a pick 6 in the middle of the first quarter lost us the game?

Love hasn’t been good but that was such a stupid stupid play call. You don’t call that against a zone which they obviously were in. The whole concept is the two outside receivers drive the coverage deep and open up the flat and it doesn’t work against zone. Love shouldn’t have thrown it but it was setting him up to fail which has happened a lot this year. He hasn’t been good enough but He’s not even close to why we lost tonight
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

ususports

Post by ususports » November 24th, 2019, 1:46 am

I would put equal blame on our defense tonight. They sucked and couldn’t tackle anyone. To be fair, they were probably tired from being on the field too long during warm ups right before the opening drive, but still.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 24th, 2019, 1:50 am

AgMac wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 1:24 am
Love may have all the nfl potential in the world. He may have been hamstrung this year by coaches, or receivers, or his line. He may be trying to do too much. And he has certainly shown some brilliance during his USU career.

But he has not been good this year. I'm sorry. He just hasn't. His stats will tell you that. Any person not hanging a USU degree on their wall will tell you that. I'm sure even nfl scouts, who believe he is a good nfl prospect, would say that.

His interceptions are momentum slayers. He's been off on a lot of throws. He is hesitant to scramble even when there is a lot of open field.
Do you think anyone else would be doing better? I don't. People blame Love like we could insert Columbi and be better off, we simply wouldn't. Love has had 3-4 bad games, against teams that dominated us in every facet of the game but those losses are somehow on him?

I'll admit he has thrown some bad INTs this year, but we would be staring at a 2016-esque season without Love starting, 3-4 wins max...it would be a disaster, and instead we are going to a bowl game. It sucks this year didn't go as planned for him or the team, but it most certainly isn't his fault and people complaining about Jordan Love honestly just come off as ignorant to the team aspect of football
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post (total 2):
IntermeddlerBadElbow

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 24th, 2019, 2:34 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 1:50 am
AgMac wrote:

Do you think anyone else would be doing better? I don't. People blame Love like we could insert Columbi and be better off, we simply wouldn't. Love has had 3-4 bad games, against teams that dominated us in every facet of the game but those losses are somehow on him?

I'll admit he has thrown some bad INTs this year, but we would be staring at a 2016-esque season without Love starting, 3-4 wins max...it would be a disaster, and instead we are going to a bowl game. It sucks this year didn't go as planned for him or the team, but it most certainly isn't his fault and people complaining about Jordan Love honestly just come off as ignorant to the team aspect of football
Do I think anyone else would be doing better? :noidea: I honestly don't know. Possibly not. Although I tend to think that a more dual threat QB can hide deficiencies in an offense. Deficiencies we clearly have. Deficiencies we might not have had last year, which allowed Love to shine.

Which goes to my point, Love has not been good this year. I think if anyone looked at this year in a bubble, without considering the success of last year and without considering what nfl boxes he checks, it would be hard to argue that he has done really well for the Aggies. Not only has he looked bad in losses, but he's looked bad in some wins as well.

But I get it. Human nature makes it difficult to look at things in a bubble. Just like human nature persuades us to call people ignorant when they don't agree with us.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » November 24th, 2019, 8:19 am

Why do this? The kid was questionable to play all week and he came out and answered the bell. He has had a rough year no doubt about it but the kid is crazy talented.

I think he leaves for the draft. I would love to see him stay another year as he has done nothing but bring positive attention to USU. When is the last time we had a qb that was even considered draftable?

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » November 24th, 2019, 8:32 am

AgMac wrote:

This is an unbelievable comment to make, and a really head scratching take :headscratch:

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 24th, 2019, 9:31 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 8:32 am
AgMac wrote:

This is an unbelievable comment to make, and a really head scratching take :headscratch:
Unbelievable. Head scratching. Really?

As pointed out in the OP, Love leads the nation in interceptions. Also in the bottom of the pack in other stats like QB rating, passive efficiency, etc.

We're emotionally attached to Love. He's done some amazing things at USU. He has NFL abilities. But objectively, he has not been good this year. He was the consensus top QB in the state before the season. Now, not one other D1 fanbase in the state would trade anyone on their 2 deep for him.

I'm conceding that it isn't all on Love. O-line, coaches, receivers, etc. all have blame. My point is that Love hasn't been so talented to mask those deficiencies this year. And we've got the same o-line, same coaches, same receivers (less Mariner and Repp) next year. So I don't think it's crazy to give someone with a different skill set a shot.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 24th, 2019, 9:32 am

Intermeddler wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:

Love lost this game for us with his pick? Did someone really type that and enter that into the world.

Boise could have scored 70+ tonight if they wanted and you think a pick 6 in the middle of the first quarter lost us the game?

Love hasn’t been good but that was such a stupid stupid play call. You don’t call that against a zone which they obviously were in. The whole concept is the two outside receivers drive the coverage deep and open up the flat and it doesn’t work against zone. Love shouldn’t have thrown it but it was setting him up to fail which has happened a lot this year. He hasn’t been good enough but He’s not even close to why we lost tonight
It’s Loves job to recognize they are in the zone and not throw it.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
TrueBlueAggie123

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 24th, 2019, 10:04 am

2004AG wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 9:32 am
Intermeddler wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:

And he doesn't recognize it, which is why he probably leads college football in pick-sixes.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 24th, 2019, 10:07 am

A double move would have torched both CSU and Boise

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 24th, 2019, 10:55 am

2004AG wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:

Cool. Don’t disagree but it didn’t lose the game for us

It would also be great if our experienced OC recognized they were in zone and didn’t call it, or realized that play has been picked several times already this year or that if it is picked it’s a certain pick six and if it’s caught it’s 5 yards at best, or that it’s one of the most difficult throws in football etc

So yeah Love is bad at recognizing late shifts in coverages and drops into zones but his OC is doing and has done a terrible job helping him but neither is why we lost last night

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 24th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:

Cool. Don’t disagree but it didn’t lose the game for us

It would also be great if our experienced OC recognized they were in zone and didn’t call it, or realized that play has been picked several times already this year or that if it is picked it’s a certain pick six and if it’s caught it’s 5 yards at best, or that it’s one of the most difficult throws in football etc

So yeah Love is bad at recognizing late shifts in coverages and drops into zones but his OC is doing and has done a terrible job helping him but neither is why we lost last night
Of course it didn’t lose the game. But it’s not Sanford’s fault that Love threw the ball. He doesn’t have a crystal ball as to whether they will play zone or man. Love needs to get to the line of scrimmage, and then read the defense and make the right decision. It’s Loves job to recognize the coverage and adjust accordingly.

I love Love. But it was a bad read. That’s ok. No player is perfect, but it was on him, not Sanford.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » November 24th, 2019, 12:55 pm

AgMac wrote:

Love’s QBR ranks him #88 out of 123 quarterbacks. No es bueno irrespective of his talent and NFL prospects. Last year it was #44.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 24th, 2019, 1:24 pm

The fact is that Love, as good as he is, has been bad this year, and I bet he would be the first to admit that. He needs to be better. So does the coaching staff, the offensive line, the receivers, and the running backs. And that's just the offense. The defense is a special kind of bad right now.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Locked Previous topicNext topic