Boise State Ticket Prices

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
IdAggie
Has thanked: 0

Boise State Ticket Prices

Post by IdAggie » November 21st, 2019, 6:27 pm

I just went onto the USU ticket office site to look at the ticket availability for the Boise St. game. I have several "Aggie fan" family members who were considering attending. I was very disappointed to see the number of seats still available for a game of this magnitude against a rival and ranked team. I looked at the prices and now fully understand the high ticket availability. They are priced at a level that makes it very easy for the potential attendee to stay home and watch it on TV, especially given the fact that it is a late night and late season game. The demographics of Cache Valley, including the available disposable income of many families make this game impossible for many. If the athletic department cares about sales, their fans, and filling the place for the athletes/coaches, they need to take a serious look at their pricing for this game and basketball. The flash sale is nice, but $40+ at the lowest is still way too high for many fans. Tickets did not move much with the flash sale, which should send a message. If we were a business and our price point was that high given our customers, we would shrivel up and die. Further, we will never expand our customer/fan base with this type pricing strategy!

I am a season ticket holder and also have Denver Broncos season tickets. My per seat charge for Broncos tickets is lower than most of the seats to the BSU game. This is ridiculous! The overall fan experience at an NFL game plus being at the NFL level make it much more attractive for the same price. There is a reason that the demand for Denver Broncos season tickets leaves them with a 20 year wait to get season tickets. With this demand they still do not stick it to the fan when they see the opportunity. Prices have not changed much in the 15+ years that I have had tickets. Could they charge more, absolutely...but they care more about their fan base and a packed stadium. Those who went to the LSU game were able to get into the stadium at an SEC school for a fraction of the price that it would cost to get into the USU game on Saturday. Something is not right here.

We should not even be having these conversations around attendance with our moderately sized venues and the products on the field/court. I am becoming very frustrated with the USU athletic department and their lack of effort and crappy approach to filling our venues in both football and basketball. It is time for some serious departmental reassessment and change in approach from sales strategy, to marketing, to pricing, to fan experience. etc. The responses that we have heard of "I have no idea", "its just a nationwide trend" along with no proactive effort just don't work.
These users thanked the author IdAggie for the post:
aceofspadeskb

Chatman

Re: Boise State Ticket Prices

Post by Chatman » November 21st, 2019, 6:34 pm

IdAggie wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 6:27 pm
I just went onto the USU ticket office site to look at the ticket availability for the Boise St. game. I have several "Aggie fan" family members who were considering attending. I was very disappointed to see the number of seats still available for a game of this magnitude against a rival and ranked team. I looked at the prices and now fully understand the high ticket availability. They are priced at a level that makes it very easy for the potential attendee to stay home and watch it on TV, especially given the fact that it is a late night and late season game. The demographics of Cache Valley, including the available disposable income of many families make this game impossible for many. If the athletic department cares about sales, their fans, and filling the place for the athletes/coaches, they need to take a serious look at their pricing for this game and basketball. The flash sale is nice, but $40+ at the lowest is still way too high for many fans. Tickets did not move much with the flash sale, which should send a message. If we were a business and our price point was that high given our customers, we would shrivel up and die. Further, we will never expand our customer/fan base with this type pricing strategy!

I am a season ticket holder and also have Denver Broncos season tickets. My per seat charge for Broncos tickets is lower than most of the seats to the BSU game. This is ridiculous! The overall fan experience at an NFL game plus being at the NFL level make it much more attractive for the same price. There is a reason that the demand for Denver Broncos season tickets leaves them with a 20 year wait to get season tickets. With this demand they still do not stick it to the fan when they see the opportunity. Prices have not changed much in the 15+ years that I have had tickets. Could they charge more, absolutely...but they care more about their fan base and a packed stadium. Those who went to the LSU game were able to get into the stadium at an SEC school for a fraction of the price that it would cost to get into the USU game on Saturday. Something is not right here.

We should not even be having these conversations around attendance with our moderately sized venues and the products on the field/court. I am becoming very frustrated with the USU athletic department and their lack of effort and crappy approach to filling our venues in both football and basketball. It is time for some serious departmental reassessment and change in approach from sales strategy, to marketing, to pricing, to fan experience. etc. The responses that we have heard of "I have no idea", "its just a nationwide trend" along with no proactive effort just don't work.
Agreed. Great post. Then we will get a tweet at halftime from Bovee throwing all the Aggie faithful under the bus for the empty stadium.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
aceofspadeskb

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 21st, 2019, 6:36 pm

I'm all for pricing for demand, but you have to find the supply/Demand balance.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

IdAggie

Post by IdAggie » November 21st, 2019, 6:47 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 6:36 pm
I'm all for pricing for demand, but you have to find the supply/Demand balance.
Look at our ticket availability...the supply is high and the demand is low based on the price and recent sales. Time for a price reevaluation and adjustment. Do something to drive demand then think about higher prices. The product (winning teams) has been enhanced so you have to look at other variables. Must do something to create demand.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » November 21st, 2019, 7:01 pm

I was shocked at how expensive the cheapest tickets were. I can't believe it is 43 dollars for a single ticket. I had to find one resold at a cheaper price from someone else just so my wife could go with me. I can't even IMAGINE buying tickets for a family!

captain68

Post by captain68 » November 21st, 2019, 7:04 pm

Yup, I went in to see what the “flash sale” was all about I laughed out loud. The deal they did last year was awesome where you could get any seat in the stadium for $10. I bought several over on the west side and gave my east side tickets away to friends. 3,000 seats at $10 is better than 3,000 empty seats, and it gets butts in seats allowing people who maybe haven’t ever been to a game see what it’s all about.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » November 21st, 2019, 7:07 pm

Try KSL. There were some tickets available for 25.00.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 21st, 2019, 7:10 pm

Yeah, $43 for the cheapest ticket is way too much at this point in time.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Chatman

Post by Chatman » November 21st, 2019, 7:12 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 7:10 pm
Yeah, $43 for the cheapest ticket is way too much at this point in time.
The upper east side section should never be more than $15 until we start filling it up consistently.
Last edited by Chatman on November 21st, 2019, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post (total 4):
ProvoAggieAgMacaceofspadeskbaggieguy13

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » November 21st, 2019, 7:34 pm

OK, so in a situation like this. That is clearly (I can't express myself without swearing)! Do us as fans have a way to let someone know this just isn't OK. Granted, you would hope they are smart enough to figure it out... But it's just not the case clearly. I love my Aggies so much. But I'm sorry. It's just getting to a point where it's WAY more convenient (cost & time) to watch at home :(

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 21st, 2019, 8:01 pm

We need to get as much ticket revenue as possible so I am all for trying to maximize ticket revenue up to about a week before the game. If at those prices the tickets are not consistently moving then you need to start offering up significant discounts to maximize revenue for the last week as well as create a good atmosphere at the stadium with a full stadium. In this case we had sold about as many tickets as we were at those higher prices so after the WYOM game there should have been some fairly steep discounts up until the game.

I certainly love my Aggies and I have season tickets, but you have to think outside the box, but do it responsibly.

sneed

Post by sneed » November 21st, 2019, 8:02 pm

I didn’t realize BYU was such a hot ticket. I would have thought this game would be similar. Boise doesn’t bring as many fans as BYU?

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » November 21st, 2019, 8:34 pm

Honestly, it was these prices that drove me to get the family pack season tickets. So there is that part of the marketing as well.

303aggie

Post by 303aggie » November 21st, 2019, 8:38 pm

The fact that Utah has tickets for $38 behind the end zone as a P5, top-10 program in a major city while USU sells the same ticket in the end zone for $43 as a G5, unranked team in CV is laughable. I love the optimism, but at this point it seems like greed and pure stubbornness.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 21st, 2019, 8:41 pm

I remember when I started driving to Logan to watch USU games. It was the 3-9 year in 2016. I could get 50 yard line tickets 7th row west side seat backs for 25 bucks a piece. We stunk but it was cheap and I was with my boy and we loved it. After all learning to lose was part of being an Aggie.

Deals aren’t so good anymore, but I’ll take it.
Like a gentrifying neighborhood, some get squeezed out but most end up in a better place.

We are gentrifying as a program. There will be some pain but it’s how we progress.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 21st, 2019, 9:09 pm

The two seats next to my west side season tickets have either been empty or filled with opposing fans every game. I have a couple friends who would probably be willing to buy them for 2 or 3 games. But not for $80.

ususports

Post by ususports » November 21st, 2019, 9:24 pm

The good news is that the flash sale has been extended to season ticket holders. :sarcasm: I got an email today. It basically said, “Hey, no one including you wanted additional seats at the over priced flash sale yesterday, so we are offering you an extra two days to bend over and get screwed. Hurry fast to be the only one to get tricked into buying this awful deal.” Once again, they are marketing to people who already have tickets, and this time, it is even worse by extending the exact same offer that clearly didn’t work the day before.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
303aggie

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 21st, 2019, 9:43 pm

You all drive me crazy. Yes, it is more expensive. I'm not so annoyed at not wanting to pay that. I get it. It's a lot of money for the one event.

I'm annoyed how everyone whines when they are cheap still. Where were the whiners for the other 5 games? Don't tell me kickoff times. We learned that doesn't matter last year. You could have had all six games for about 2x the cost to the cheapest Boise ticket. We whine about wanting to sneak food in ( that is what pockets are for) and we whine about the cheapest parking I've ever seen at a college football game ( you can park in just about any lot for 10 freaking buck).

The truth is our fanbase sux and is the biggest albatross around the program's neck. We enjoy success we do not deserve as a fanbase so you better enjoy it while you can because it won't last...and get off my lawn.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 7):
Sl7vkMadmartiganOKAggieNVAggieoleblu111flying_scotsman2.0donlarson8

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 21st, 2019, 9:47 pm

GeoAg wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 9:43 pm
You all drive me crazy. Yes, it is more expensive. I'm not so annoyed at not wanting to pay that. I get it. It's a lot of money for the one event.

I'm annoyed how everyone whines when they are cheap still. Where were the whiners for the other 5 games? Don't tell me kickoff times. We learned that doesn't matter last year. You could have had all six games for about 2x the cost to the cheapest Boise ticket. We whine about wanting to sneak food in ( that is what pockets are for) and we whine about the cheapest parking I've ever seen at a college football game ( you can park in just about any lot for 10 freaking buck).

The truth is our fanbase sux and is the biggest albatross around the program's neck. We enjoy success we do not deserve as a fanbase so you better enjoy it while you can because it won't last...and get off my lawn.
I dont disagree with anything you said.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
oleblu111

IdAggie

Post by IdAggie » November 21st, 2019, 10:03 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 9:47 pm
GeoAg wrote:

Many of us have a valid concern. My butt has been in my seat one hour before game time for every game and have not left early once. Same with basketball. No complaints about weather, game time, parking, etc. It is a great venue and we have a quality team. My concern is that many of my friends and family who are avid Aggie fans simply cant afford to attend the BSU game because of price alone. Trust me...many avid Aggie fans who would sit through a blizzard cant make it to this weeks game with major implications against a top 25 rival. If we grow the base and get butts who want to be in seats in seats, the success that we are having can be sustained and excitement around the program will grow. . We cant do that with prices that are higher than NFL teams and Power 5 teams.

ususports

Post by ususports » November 21st, 2019, 10:15 pm

GeoAg wrote:
I'm annoyed how everyone whines when they are cheap still. Where were the whiners for the other 5 games?
I was at all five of them. Thanks for asking. I haven’t complained about season ticket prices, as they are great! I only complain when people in the AD are completely incompetent about how to market to people who are not buying their product (tickets) and publicly complaining that it is the customer’s fault instead of admitting that they are so stupid. Look no further than last year’s SJSU football ticket promo. They offered a deal to people who already had tickets, and when the season ticket holders were sharing the promo code to people who didn’t have tickets (who SHOULD obviously be their prime target), then people in the AD were posting on Facebook that they were upset that the promo code had been shared. It was like they thought, holy crap, we are selling too many tickets and this is working way better than it should. We need to put an end to this crap of selling tickets. Seriously, you offer a promo to sell tickets, and then you castrate your fan base for making it available to the people who need it most. You can be annoyed at the whining, but there is validity to the arguments that the AD isn’t very smart about marketing.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
AgMac

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 21st, 2019, 10:16 pm

IdAggie wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 10:03 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 9:47 pm
GeoAg wrote:

Many of us have a valid concern. My butt has been in my seat one hour before game time for every game and have not left early once. Same with basketball. No complaints about weather, game time, parking, etc. It is a great venue and we have a quality team. My concern is that many of my friends and family who are avid Aggie fans simply cant afford to attend the BSU game because of price alone. Trust me...many avid Aggie fans who would sit through a blizzard cant make it to this weeks game with major implications against a top 25 rival. If we grow the base and get butts who want to be in seats in seats, the success that we are having can be sustained and excitement around the program will grow. . We cant do that with prices that are higher than NFL teams and Power 5 teams.
Where are they for the other games where we have some of the cheapest tickets in the country? Where were they for SJSU last year when Tix were $13

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 21st, 2019, 10:18 pm

I'm not saying the prices shouldn't be lower for this game, they clearly should, but high prices are NOT the overall issue across the board.

ususports

Post by ususports » November 21st, 2019, 10:44 pm

GeoAg wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 10:16 pm
Where were they for SJSU last year when Tix were $13
I was there, along with over 19,000 of my good friends. Thanks for asking. I am assuming you are one of my 19,000 close friends, so don’t be offended by my post. The answer to your question is the opponent SJSU. They came into that game with a 1-8 record. Additionally, the AD got pissed that too many tickets were being sold (see my post above) so they actually shut down the promo code for a bit. That’s good marketing, right? I am not advocating that the price for the flash sale this year should have been $13, but if they did, I bet they would have had an awesome response. So to defend the USU marketing team by saying that price isn’t a major factor because we didn’t sellout cheap tickets to a cold November game against a crappy team that was 1-8 makes me wonder if you are over the marketing team for ticket sales. The bottom line is that $43 was obviously too high, and for the ticket office to be stubborn enough to not admit it, and think that extending the same crappy offer to season ticket holders, as if that is going to get a great response suggests they will never learn from their mistakes and increase attendance.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 21st, 2019, 11:05 pm

GeoAg wrote:

^^^ This post sells zero more tickets.

I'll be there again, for the 6th time this year. And I'll get home again after 2 a.m., for the third time this year. And I'll do it again next year, just like I did last year.

But there aren't 20,000 other people like me. Or you. So we can try to figure out at what price and by other means they'll want to join us. Or we can shout at empty chairs about how much they suck.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
2004AG303aggie

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 21st, 2019, 11:10 pm

This is Smurthwaites tweet on basketball tickets. They just don’t get it. I have no answer.

Decided to look up Lowest/Highest ticket prices for top-20 #NCAA basketball teams. Based on their first home conference game here is what I found...

Avg Low Price: $57
Avg High Price: $598

Fresno St @#UtahState Low: $22
Fresno St @#USU High: $42

#AggiesAllTheWay |

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

IdAggie

Post by IdAggie » November 21st, 2019, 11:24 pm

Look at the replies to his tweet. Totally inaccurate info trying to justify pricing. Many top 25 programs have tickets at under $10, especially to early non-conference games. I have verified this. Again, our pricing is an issue and then the AD complains about empty seats and tries to justify our pricing when others have a pricing level to get people in the arena. You have to make an effort to create excitement, build a fan base and a culture. The more I learn, the more frustrated I become with the AD on this issue.

IdAggie

Post by IdAggie » November 21st, 2019, 11:32 pm

KC was also the one that sent out the exciting email to extend the flash sale for season ticket holders as discussed above. As a donor I like the guy, but he is a bit out of touch on this issue.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » November 22nd, 2019, 4:56 am

Maybe it's a good idea to price out the Boise State fans who usually fill up our stadium at the lower prices because they are more committed to their program than we are. At least this way there are fewer Boise fans so it's closer to a home field advantage for USU.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » November 22nd, 2019, 5:54 am

I see both sides of this debate and I'm very torn by situation. First I'm a die hard Aggie fan, my oldest son has been going to Aggie FB games since he was 2 weeks old..he is now 12. I agree that prices in what the AD deems to be lower level seats are prices extremely high. I paid $53 for 1 seat in the south endzone. I usually buy season tickets but Held off because my son plays competitive sports and we missed the 1st game, but when I did try and purchase season tickets after the 1st game I was told that they would only sell me mini plans. Being a single parent I'll admit that I was trying to save a buck. But I'm also willing to pay $53 for my normal seating because its more than just a game for our family. I also realize that people in Utah and some of the surrounding area's are very cheap, but want a lot for their $$. Ask anyone who does web development about people in cache valley vs. SLC.
Any whoo its not that expensive to go to a game if you really want to be there, but if your a casual fan looking for something to do I can see why you would decide not to attend the game. What the AD needs to figure is what is the size of their core fanbase, and then price point for the causal fan to attend the game. They HAVE to grow the casual fan into part if their core fan base. This is crucial for the long term success of the athletic programs!!

Whatley_posse

Post by Whatley_posse » November 22nd, 2019, 6:42 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 4:56 am
Maybe it's a good idea to price out the Boise State fans who usually fill up our stadium at the lower prices because they are more committed to their program than we are. At least this way there are fewer Boise fans so it's closer to a home field advantage for USU.
43$ is cheap for a Boise state ticket. There will be plenty Boise state fans. At that price bsu fans buy there tix and gas.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 22nd, 2019, 7:37 am

dyedblue wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 11:10 pm
This is Smurthwaites tweet on basketball tickets. They just don’t get it. I have no answer.

Decided to look up Lowest/Highest ticket prices for top-20 #NCAA basketball teams. Based on their first home conference game here is what I found...Image

Avg High Price: $598Image

#AggiesAllTheWay |Image

Are you freaking kidding me???

Formerly TulsAGGIE

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 22nd, 2019, 7:47 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 7:37 am
dyedblue wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 11:10 pm

Decided to look up Lowest/Highest ticket prices for top-20 #NCAA basketball teams. Based on their first home conference game here is what I found...Image

Avg High Price: $598Image

#AggiesAllTheWay |Image

Are you freaking kidding me???
I had to go drop a reply. I'm beyond tired of being pushed under the bus. I'm getting close to saying screw it and withdrawing my monthly donation to the BBSF. Then I can purchase tickets. That's what they want, right?

Sorry guys...just really frustrated. Don't pull my fan card. I go to the games by myself because my amazing wife(who I love immensely) and I don't feel it's worth the money to bring the family. I have a pipe dream of family season tickets someday that is looking more and more bleak. Sounds like the problem isn't going to get better any time soon, and in the meantime tweet's like this and Jerry's throw me under the bus from my lone seat in the stands. :disappointed:

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » November 22nd, 2019, 7:53 am

$43 isn't bad. Also, kids are $25, which is great. I paid full price to take my kids to the FSU game (well kid, the other one that was going to go got sick). It was expensive, but it was the one game we could get to this year and it was worth every penny to me.

USU has had a huge turnaround in the last 10 years that happened really fast. I don't expect there to suddenly be 25,000 fans in the stadium.

It's not that people can't afford it, it's that they won't, because it isn't important to them.

This game in particular probably isn't going to boost the fan base by having lackluster fans in the stands. Watching a frustrating series of events unfold live is probably more frustrating than sitting at home watching on TV. It wasn't so bad back in the day, because at least I had several rows of seats to myself and it was a quiet place I could do my homework.

If we can't find another 1-3 thousand people that won't pay $40 or slightly less if they shop around then it is what it is.

20,000 X 43 = 860,000
is greater than
25,000 X 30 = 750,000

If tickets weren't selling well enough to make that math work they would change it up. That is greatly simplified, but it isn't about the university getting money, they are probably maximizing profits.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

IdAggie

Post by IdAggie » November 22nd, 2019, 8:05 am

Nice simple calculation, but so many more factors. You are missing concession sales, parking, programs, etc. What about getting people in the stadium who will then be repeat customers or even season ticket holders because they had such a great experience when we beat Boise. Last but not least. This AD says that put the student athlete first. What about the players and coaches who want to play in front of a packed house on senior night for a conference championship against a ranked team? They deserve it and the AD is making it difficult. How do you think 5000+ empty seats look for recruiting our future athletes/product? It all matters.

Locked Previous topicNext topic