Attendance / Wyo Fans

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SasquatchAggie
Has thanked: 0

Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by SasquatchAggie » November 17th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I thought that attendance was a little better than the announced number. Wyoming brought a good contingent of fans, probably the most I have ever seen them have there.

I know that a lot of Aggie fans like to cheer for Wyoming when they aren't playing USU but I sure love to beat those guys, mostly because of their fans. Some fans on their board think we are "rinky dink" and don't deserve to have a good team because we have low attendance numbers, Logan sucks, the gameday atmosphere sucked, our campus is ugly, and we didn't have working ticket scanners at the game. It's like they have never been to Laramie or attended a game at their own stadium. :headscratch:

I know that we all want better attendance numbers but that fact of the matter is that there are 2 other big D1 schools in Utah that we are competing with. If Cache Valley were the size of the Salt Lake Valley, we wouldn't have a problem filling a 45,000 seat stadium. But Cache Valley isn't that big and unfortunately I think we are always going to struggle with attendance.

Sl7vk

Re: Attendance / Wyo Fans

Post by Sl7vk » November 17th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Wyoming travelled very well.
I was erked to see all the Wyoming plates from Salt Lake to Logan.
I was happy their drive home was long and fruitless.
Student attendance held us back. We were easily short 4K students yesterday.
Lots of teams hate on us because we are easy targets.
Mountain West basketball champs and currently 5-1 in conference in football.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 17th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:19 pm
Wyoming travelled very well.
I was erked to see all the Wyoming plates from Salt Lake to Logan.
I was happy their drive home was long and fruitless.
Student attendance held us back. We were easily short 4K students yesterday.
Lots of teams hate on us because we are easy targets.
Mountain West basketball champs and currently 5-1 in conference in football.
Wouldn't it be something if we end up beating Boise and NM and AF loses one game and we win the MW championship. Then, to add to that, we live up to expectations, and win the MW basketball tourney again!!

We could have 3 straight MW championships (excluding smaller and less popular sports....not saying they are meaningless.)
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
Sl7vk

Lonely Cowboy

Post by Lonely Cowboy » November 17th, 2019, 9:40 pm

The WYO fans we interacted with yesterday were good guys/people. :-)

I traveled to the Wyoming game last year in Laramie. Their fans were accommodating and welcomed us to their stadium. I love that this game can become, and hope it will be a rivalry game once again.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 17th, 2019, 9:44 pm

I thought the WY fans were great. Not sure why student turnout wasn't great. Any ideas?

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 17th, 2019, 9:48 pm

SasquatchAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:02 pm
I thought that attendance was a little better than the announced number. Wyoming brought a good contingent of fans, probably the most I have ever seen them have there.

I know that a lot of Aggie fans like to cheer for Wyoming when they aren't playing USU but I sure love to beat those guys, mostly because of their fans. Some fans on their board think we are "rinky dink" and don't deserve to have a good team because we have low attendance numbers, Logan sucks, the gameday atmosphere sucked, our campus is ugly, and we didn't have working ticket scanners at the game. It's like they have never been to Laramie or attended a game at their own stadium. :headscratch:

I know that we all want better attendance numbers but that fact of the matter is that there are 2 other big D1 schools in Utah that we are competing with. If Cache Valley were the size of the Salt Lake Valley, we wouldn't have a problem filling a 45,000 seat stadium. But Cache Valley isn't that big and unfortunately I think we are always going to struggle with attendance.
The truth hurts. We don't have a fanbase that supports the football program well enough. I can't disagree with much that the Wyo fans are saying regarding our fan support. Now the part about Logan and our campus being ugly is pretty dumb.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 17th, 2019, 9:55 pm

https://wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19122

https://wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19124

There’s the two threads on the Wyoming board for those interested.

I can see why visiting fans would find us “small time,” but what those dipwads seem to be glossing over is that they are literally the only show in the entire state, whereas we are a distant third place in fan support and fan base in our state.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 17th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Outside of student attendance yesterday I thought the overall crowd was great. Let them say what they want it really doesn't bother me at all. I have been too games in Laramie war memorial is not a high-class facility as well. The only thing that matters is were 5 and 1 in conference and since joining the conference we are 5-2 against them so that's the only thing that matters. I don't know why I don't like Wyoming football but for some reason it just rubs me the wrong way.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 17th, 2019, 9:59 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:55 pm

I can see why visiting fans would find us “small time,” but what those dipwads seem to be glossing over is that they are literally the only show in the entire state, whereas we are a distant third place in fan support and fan base in our state.
Absolutely true they are literally the only show in town for the whole state whereas we are a distant third in our own State granted our population is a lot bigger but still.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 17th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:59 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:55 pm

Absolutely true they are literally the only show in town for the whole state whereas we are a distant third in our own State granted our population is a lot bigger but still.
Utah has 5 D1 schools. Wyoming has 1. I would hope that the one D1 program in Wyoming would have good fan support.

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » November 17th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Any talk of Logan or our campus being ugly is laughable. When we drove into Laramie to go to the game last year I laughed out loud and could not believe it was the location of their school. Talk about rinky dink.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

bpd

Post by bpd » November 17th, 2019, 10:28 pm

I attended a Utah State game in Laramie a few years ago, it was when JoJo Natson and Hunter Sharp were on the team. Their stadium was maybe half full... maybe. Their stadium is not that great. I also attended the basketball game in Laramie last year. They had about 1000 people in attendance.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 17th, 2019, 10:44 pm

Scoreboard
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
JSHarvey

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 18th, 2019, 4:56 am

Yeah I don’t think they big time attendance either. I bet they have better tailgating though.

And making fun of Logan is kind of funny coming from someone comparing to Laramie. Wyoming is never going to be a consistent winner because there is not a much instate talent.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » November 18th, 2019, 7:07 am

I was surprised at the amount of brown and yellow. At times they seemed to out cheer us.
The interaction I had with their fans was very pleasant.
Some of those criticisms are spot on imo.

bigbluemtn
Has thanked: 0

Post by bigbluemtn » November 18th, 2019, 8:13 am

You guys should be fasting and praying for the Pokes. Guess who they play next week.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 18th, 2019, 8:24 am

bigbluemtn wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 8:13 am
You guys should be fasting and praying for the Pokes. Guess who they play next week.
Colorado State.

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » November 18th, 2019, 8:39 am

The students killed our attendance. I thought the rest of the stadium filled in really well actually.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 18th, 2019, 8:50 am

I wish I had a picture of the game midway through the 2nd quarter when it was peak attendance. There's no way there was only 16,000 people there. I say 19,000 at minimum. I have no idea what happened.

You have the U of U announcing sell outs with only the stadium 2/3 full and then us announcing less attendance than what is actually there by about 15%.

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » November 18th, 2019, 9:06 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 8:50 am
I wish I had a picture of the game midway through the 2nd quarter when it was peak attendance. There's no way there was only 16,000 people there. I say 19,000 at minimum. I have no idea what happened.

You have the U of U announcing sell outs with only the stadium 2/3 full and then us announcing less attendance than what is actually there by about 15%.
Ticket scanners weren’t working. Didn’t get charged after the basketball game Friday night or something like that. I’m sure that made the count inaccurate compared to other games.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » November 18th, 2019, 9:10 am

Sad. I kinda like Wyoming fans (based on prior interactions). We have so much in common.

According to the banter, we are somehow obsessed with getting into BYU and beating BYU. They must not offer the Practical Logic course in Laramie.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » November 18th, 2019, 9:31 am

Madmartigan wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:48 pm
The truth hurts. We don't have a fanbase that supports the football program well enough. I can't disagree with much that the Wyo fans are saying regarding our fan support. Now the part about Logan and our campus being ugly is pretty dumb.
And do you know what I am getting really sick of-- Aggie fans telling me to pipe down about attendance. Well I won't. It stinks. We are winning at a .620 pace (62-40) since 2012, so there is absolutely no reason for Aggie fans to not attend games, especially on a beautiful fall afternoon. The product is excellent, the amenities are excellent, everything has been provided for USU fans to have a great game experience. Could some things be better? Yes, we could use some better concession facilities on the upper east side and more rest room facilities there.

But until Aggie fans-- students and townspeople -- start supporting this team by buying tickets,, coming early and tailgating and doing some of the other things, why should the athletic department do any more than the roughly $55 million or so they have already done? :disappointed:

You have to admit, some of those posts by Wyoming fans are pretty comical. "Our exceedingly beautiful campus?" Right.

BTW, we sat with a group of Wyoming fans and you could ask for better fans. They were friendly and into the banter that goes back and forth, but never anything negative or snotty. I would sit by a Wyoming fan anyday of the week over some condescending a$$ from BYU or Utah.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 2):
oleblu111GordoAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 18th, 2019, 9:31 am

SasquatchAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:02 pm

And Wyo is the only game in town... err the state. It's not like they've got two other D1-FBS schools, four FCS schools, pro basketball and soccer to contend with.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 18th, 2019, 9:38 am

AgMac wrote:I thought the WY fans were great. Not sure why student turnout wasn't great. Any ideas?
Because Image it Image is Image always Image like Image that Image for Image day Image games Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 18th, 2019, 10:01 am

Just to be clear

Showing my True Colors since 2022

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 18th, 2019, 10:11 am

We may be small time and rinky-dink, but we beat their asses. So yeah, there's that.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
JSHarvey

Formerly TulsAGGIE

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 18th, 2019, 10:15 am

AgMac wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:44 pm
I thought the WY fans were great. Not sure why student turnout wasn't great. Any ideas?
We talked before the Y game on how important it was. We all, obviously want to beat them bad every year. There were quite a few who thought that the Conference games are more important. There are points both ways that I agree with....BUT I submit to you that from an attendance standpoint, the Y game is the most important game of the year. Had we turned the tables and beat up on them like they did to us.....we would have had a few thousand more fans at the Wyoming game than we did.

IfelOfasofa

Post by IfelOfasofa » November 18th, 2019, 10:42 am

Not making an excuse, just doing some quick math of county population vs stadium size (2017 numbers):
USU needs 20% of the county to fill The Mav.
UofU needs 4% of the county to fill RES.
BYU needs 10% of the county to fill LES.
Wyo needs 70% of the county to fill War Memorial ( I assume they draw from farther, due to being the only team in the state).

With I assume a decent number of BYU and Utah fans in Cache county, USU needs a much higher percentage of the population to fill the stadium.

...from the spot where the sagebrush grows!
:utah: :state:

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 18th, 2019, 11:16 am

The game day experience at USU has gotten much better, but then again I have only been there a few times over the last 6 years and the games were in the evening. I noticed a lot more people tail gating than there used to be. And the one time I made it to Laramie to a game, I was extremely disappointed by the tail gating going on around the stadium. So...

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 18th, 2019, 11:18 am

rAggie wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 10:01 am
Just to be clear

I think USU casts a wider net than that, I've seen a lot of USU presence in places like Star Valley, Wyoming for example. :lol: But I don't blame those folks because USU is the closest FBC school

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 18th, 2019, 11:20 am

ViAggie wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 11:18 am
rAggie wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 10:01 am
Just to be clear

I think USU casts a wider net than that, I've seen a lot of USU presence in places like Star Valley, Wyoming for example. :lol: But I don't blame those folks because USU is the closest FBC school
One of the Wyoming fans claimed that we had 500,000 people living within 45 minutes of the stadium which is most likely what rAggie was trying to refute. They say that with that many people we should be able to fill the stadium. The reality though is that we don't have anywhere close to that many people.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
ViAggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 18th, 2019, 11:37 am

The key is and always will be drawing alums from Weber, Davis and Salt Lake County to Logan for game day.
If as a school we can do that in any meaningful way, we are primed for success.
Cache Valley is growing and becoming more wealthy, so that helps, but the Valley has never been very USU Football centric.

The school and the community needs to get more creative.
Not a single hotel in Logan offers a game day discount or anything of that sort. It's kind of crazy to me.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 18th, 2019, 11:42 am

Sadly, we SHOULD be filling the stadium, regardless of weather or opponent. It's a 25,000 seat facility. It's nuts to me that there are not 25,000 people willing to watch college football in such a beautiful setting. I'll never understand it.

mike1126

Post by mike1126 » November 18th, 2019, 11:49 am

I come up from weber county, and when I hit logan you would never know it was a gameday. Wheres the community support with flags etc.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » November 18th, 2019, 12:10 pm

I suspect that had Wyoming pulled out the win that the campus would have looked a little nicer, the stadium a little more full, the town a little livelier. Instead, as has been the case six of the last eight matchups between the schools, it was just another loss to a team with no fans on an ugly campus in a rinky dink town. You hate to see it. They do travel well though, so credit to them for that.

This also seems like a good place to point out that their basketball team's current NET ranking is 323. 323. Talk about rinky dink...

Locked Previous topicNext topic