Beginning of Season..what if I told you

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Beginning of Season..what if I told you

Post by Madmartigan » November 17th, 2019, 9:36 am

Pretend it's the beginning of the year, we are 0-0 and I give you a few data points on the future:

-USU wins all three West division games including beating SDSU and Fresno at their places
-USU would sweep Wyoming and CSU
-We would be 3-1 in games decided by a score or less

What conclusions/predictions would you make with regards to our overall record, state of the team, and amount of infighting on this message board?

If it were me, I'd guess we'd have a legitimate shot at a Mountain West championship and an 8 win season, which would be very good given most have conceded it's a rebuilding year this year and with the difficulty of our schedule.
Last edited by Madmartigan on November 17th, 2019, 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkaggies22

Sl7vk

Re: Beginning of Season..what if I told you

Post by Sl7vk » November 17th, 2019, 9:43 am

Some of the people here have really lost the plot lately.
I would absolutely love to win the MW with this years team. How crazy would that be?
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
aggies22Aggie_in_Idaho

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 17th, 2019, 9:49 am

Madmartigan wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:36 am
Pretend it's the beginning of the year, we are 0-0 and I give you a few data points on the future:

-USU wins all three West division games including beating SDSU and Fresno at their place
-USU would sweep Wyoming and Fresno

What conclusions/predictions would you make with regards to our overall record, state of the team, and amount of infighting on this message board?

If it were me, I'd guess we'd have a legitimate shot at a Mountain West championship and a 8 win season, which would be very good given most have conceded it's a rebuilding year this year and with the difficulty of our schedule.
I would have said we were on our way to 10 or 11 wins because I thought we could beat Wake Forest, Air Force and byu. San Diego State is who made me nervous in the preseason.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 17th, 2019, 9:50 am

i'd be happy with it.

but fun plot twist for the thread: have we ever won >=50% of the 'tough' games on our schedule?

accepted categories are:
- rivals: byu, utah, boise state
- beatable p5: wake, wisconsin, tennessee when they were supposed to be down, usc, etc...

i just checked going back to 2011 and no, we have not. so as long as the aggies win 6+ games i am happy. if they win more than that i'm pretty jazzed because wins are fun. but if you want to take this program to another level, we have to do this.

imanaggie

Post by imanaggie » November 17th, 2019, 9:51 am

The record is fine and probably in line with where many thought we would be at this point in the season. It was the way we lost to AF and BYU that leaves a bad taste in fans' mouths. We simply didn't compete in those games - is that on the players or coaches? Probably a combination of both.
These users thanked the author imanaggie for the post (total 4):
AngusAgAggieFBObsessionAggieSoxJSHarvey

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 17th, 2019, 9:55 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:49 am
Madmartigan wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:36 am

-USU wins all three West division games including beating SDSU and Fresno at their place
-USU would sweep Wyoming and Fresno

If it were me, I'd guess we'd have a legitimate shot at a Mountain West championship and a 8 win season, which would be very good given most have conceded it's a rebuilding year this year and with the difficulty of our schedule.
I would have said we were on our way to 10 or 11 wins because I thought we could beat Wake Forest, Air Force and byu. San Diego State is who made me nervous in the preseason.
Agreed. For me when I looked at the schedule and the roster I thought 7-8 wins was a very good year given the state of the team. We had very good starters but not much depth in the 2-3 deep. We have played probably our toughest schedule ever. OL and WR were big question marks. While WR has been better than most thought, OL has been inconsistent and well that red zone offense.. mind-numbingly bad.

My big point was, if we can win 7-8 games in a "rebuilding" year I'm pretty happy.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 17th, 2019, 10:04 am

imanaggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:51 am
The record is fine and probably in line with where many thought we would be at this point in the season. It was the way we lost to AF and BYU that leaves a bad taste in fans' mouths. We simply didn't compete in those games - is that on the players or coaches? Probably a combination of both.
Honestly, that's what I struggle with. Record wise, I thought 8-4. I even thought we might lose to byu in that prediction, I just didn't expect to get outplayed and outcoached as badly as we did.

For me, those games happen and you move on. As long as it's not a consistent thing. Like I've said and others have said, it's great to have expectations and winning again.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 3):
AngusAgAggieFBObsessionaggies22

Go Aggies!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 17th, 2019, 10:06 am

I believe 8-4 was, and still is the measuring stick for this team. Anything above that would have been exceptional. 7-5 is acceptable and 6-6 would be a failure. The fact is that we have won some games we weren’t supposed to and lost one we should have won. Beating Boise will be tough and we should throttle New Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
JSHarvey

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 17th, 2019, 10:21 am

Vegas had our over under at 7 this year.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 17th, 2019, 10:39 am

Sl7vk wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 10:21 am
I thought it was 6.5

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 17th, 2019, 11:14 am

I would take it any day of the week. Am i frustrated we lost to wake and got throttled by byu and af yes, but my bar is always bowl eligibility. I am super inpressed the way they have responded after those bad games. Feel really good about the trajectory of the program.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 17th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 10:39 am
Sl7vk wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 10:21 am
I thought it was 6.5
Might depend on the service being used. I remember it at 7 because it was so unusual being a flat number.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » November 17th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Any time you get throttled by BYU it is going to taint the entire season for most fans no matter what else happens. Those are just the unfortunate facts.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
JSHarvey

captain68
Has thanked: 0

Post by captain68 » November 17th, 2019, 2:05 pm

What if I would have told you at the first of the season that the team would accomplish what they have with the injuries we’ve had. I would have said that it was amazing. Sure sometimes it seems like we have under achieved, but the schedule this season has been brutal. Last year it was a cake walk. If we end this season with 7-8 wins it will be amazing!!!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 17th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Chatman wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 1:47 pm
Any time you get throttled by BYU it is going to taint the entire season for most fans no matter what else happens. Those are just the unfortunate facts.
Is it really true that a single game against BYU mars an entire season? If so, why do Aggie fans allow BYU to live in their heads rent free?

It was one game, and it sucked, but that happens sometimes.

I for one, was much more disappointed in the AFA game. We looked completely unprepared to defend the option and it derailed us from controlling our own destiny for a championship run.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
BadElbowSl7vk

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 17th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Chatman wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 1:47 pm
Not me, i want to beat byu but it does not affect me if we lose to them. I want to win the mountain west and go to a bowl game a whole lot more than to beat byu.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » November 17th, 2019, 4:07 pm

For me personally the AFA and BYU losses were the most (emotionally) painful. Letting Wake Forest get the win was the most annoying.

In this old thread (way back in May) I predicted 9-3 for the season - I was at least one game, and probably two games, overly optimistic.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49532&p=577105#p577105

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Locked Previous topicNext topic