Potential

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
frankiesaysrelax

Potential

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 12th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Has there been a single game this year where you feel our team has lived up to it’s full potential on both sides of the ball for all 4 quarters?

Maybe the SDSU game but even then we blew two 4th down plays that allowed touchdowns. I’m just hoping that our team puts together a complete game from both sides of the ball for the next two games. I’d like to not only see wins but but something of a no doubter win as well.

Aggie84025

Re: Potential

Post by Aggie84025 » November 12th, 2019, 3:51 pm

SDSU would probably be the closest. The offense sputtered in the redzone, but overall was really solid. The defense other than a few lapses were fantastic. Out side of that one or the other have played well in games, but never great together. Hopefully this is the game where we pull it together on both sides of the ball.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » November 12th, 2019, 4:30 pm

I can pinpoint a couple of games where both the offense and defense didn't live up to the potential at the same time. That won't happen this weekend. It will be an awesome game!

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 12th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Stony Brook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 12th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Stony Brook being excluded

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 12th, 2019, 5:18 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:Stony Brook being excluded
Brony Stook

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
sam tingeyutahcountyaggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 13th, 2019, 8:24 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 5:18 pm
Brony Stook

I hate to be the pessimist here but although the Aggies can win any one or all of their last few games their potential only allows for really close games absent game changing mistakes by the opposition (excluding New Mexico). Without Woodward the LB group is a mess and the secondary is terrible in both coverage talent and scheme. Tipa should help if they use him right and he's 100%.

We are going to have to have herculean efforts on offense, get the right tackle position figured out, and Love has to be mistake free. I shudder to think what Wyoming and Boise will do to this offense if the edge blocking doesn't improve. The edge rusher for Boise is a beast.

I hope the Aggies have an answer for Wyoming's press cover 2 and tough 4 man rush. They sure didn't last year.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 13th, 2019, 8:35 am

Nevada. But I admit I was much less high on this years team than most around here.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 13th, 2019, 9:27 am

Hick, you hit the nail on the head when you noted that "Tipa should help if they use him right". I suspect there is some real turmoil on our coaching staff due to a couple of poor losses to AFA and BYU. In my appraisal the wheel began coming off in the second half of the SDSU game when we let the Aztecs back in the game, but that was the second half, and we know our AGGIES are generally out adjusted this season for the second half.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 13th, 2019, 10:27 am

hickaggie wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 8:24 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Brony Stook

I hate to be the pessimist here but although the Aggies can win any one or all of their last few games their potential only allows for really close games absent game changing mistakes by the opposition (excluding New Mexico). Without Woodward the LB group is a mess and the secondary is terrible in both coverage talent and scheme. Tipa should help if they use him right and he's 100%.

We are going to have to have herculean efforts on offense, get the right tackle position figured out, and Love has to be mistake free. I shudder to think what Wyoming and Boise will do to this offense if the edge blocking doesn't improve. The edge rusher for Boise is a beast.

I hope the Aggies have an answer for Wyoming's press cover 2 and tough 4 man rush. They sure didn't last year.
I have watched football my whole life, but don't know the ins and outs like some on this board. What would be the best way for our offense to attach WYO's press cover 2 and 4 man rush in order to be successful?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 13th, 2019, 10:36 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:27 am
hickaggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Brony Stook

I have watched football my whole life, but don't know the ins and outs like some on this board. What would be the best way for our offense to attach WYO's press cover 2 and 4 man rush in order to be successful?
Great question. For me it would be lots of misdirection, and trick plays to get them to bite quickly.
If they are super aggressive, you have to use that aggression against them.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 13th, 2019, 10:58 am

Sl7vk wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:36 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Brony Stook

Great question. For me it would be lots of misdirection, and trick plays to get them to bite quickly.
I can only venture info on the line question. Double teams and pulling tackles, precise cutbacks by RBs, strong hook blocks on the DEs/OLBs, believable dive fakes (JL's been getting lazier and lazier on the dive fakes) to keep OLBs and safeties frozen for the 1/4 second they need to get our speed guys into one-on-one situations on the outside. And execute. Execute! EXECUTE! And don't jump offside or be lazy getting into the proper stance at the proper depth.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 13th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Brony Stook

So we are screwed?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 13th, 2019, 1:38 pm

dyedblue wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 1:25 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Brony Stook

So we are screwed?

I would think so.
With that said, the offense has looked loads better the last two weeks, albeit against pretty bad defenses.

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » November 13th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Brony Stook

The RPO! It's literally the destroyer of aggressive defense. Especially if they run a 4 man front. There is simply to many wholes in the zone. it will be a lot of dink and dunk but that is how you beat them. With two high safeties the chances of taking the top off are slim unless you go 5 wide and have speed all over the field. Look for zone read quick slants and everyone on this boards dirty word the out rout.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » November 13th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 1:38 pm
I would think so.
With that said, the offense has looked loads better the last two weeks, albeit against pretty bad defenses.
I wonder if we are giving Wyoming too much credit on defense. They have a formidable run D, for sure, but their pass D isn't that great. As far as overall yards allowed on defense, here is how they performed relative to offenses they've face. Other teams included that are basically in the same bracket as them:

Team Yds/Allowed relative to offenses faced
Fresno St 2.01%
Wyoming 0.95%
BYU -0.53%
Colorado St -1.67%
Nevada -1.99%
USU -2.54%

So, you say our offense against BYU and Fresno St looked better, but they were poorer defenses. I think this says they are pretty comparable. Plus, if you look at Pass Defenses (since our passing game has been looking particularly good) Wyoming is the worst in the conference save for New Mexico. I try not to read too much into these stats, but this comparison does give me hope. We'll still need the defense to show up, especially against the run, and our offense can't drop back into a funk.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 13th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 1:25 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Brony Stook

So we are screwed?

I would think so.
The first answer to attacking Wyoming's scheme is being able to block their 4 rushers for at least 4 seconds allowing receivers to break the press and run some crossing routes trying to rub defenders and force deep help to make decisions prethrow.

Second, the read RPO needs to be effective enough to slow lineman and freeze LBs. Its a lot harder to jam a receiver with your eyes in the backfield trying to make run reads and maintain outside contain. However, if the 4 man line is able to shut that down and maintain contain like they should allowing the OLBs/nickel guy to play pass first then its a lot more difficult.

Third the Aggie receivers need to be able to consistently beat the jams and find the zones between LB and safety help with quick throws when they do. The problem obviously is that the jams also disrupt normal timing unless the move to beat them is perfect so Love needs to adjust for that.

Overall though its the same deal. If the Aggie O-line can handle the 4 man rush, especially making the Ends go either too deep so Love can step up and have throwing and running lanes, or goad them into coming too with too shallow angles where they can get away with holding them in tight without getting the call so Love can scramble out and buy time then I think the Aggies will be fine.

I hope especially our right tackle is studying a lot of film on his Wyoming counterpart and uses those techniques to goad him where he wants him with his pass rush moves because I don't think physically its a good matchup straight up. Technique and smarts. For alll I have criticized Hack he did a pretty good job forcing Fresno's end too deep.

A few well placed wads of cash of the umpire to miss a few tackles by the O-lineman might be the Aggies best hope. :noidea:
Last edited by hickaggie on November 13th, 2019, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 13th, 2019, 3:59 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:32 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
I would think so.
I wonder if we are giving Wyoming too much credit on defense. They have a formidable run D, for sure, but their pass D isn't that great. As far as overall yards allowed on defense, here is how they performed relative to offenses they've face. Other teams included that are basically in the same bracket as them:

Team Yds/Allowed relative to offenses faced
Fresno St 2.01%
Wyoming 0.95%
BYU -0.53%
Colorado St -1.67%
Nevada -1.99%
USU -2.54%

So, you say our offense against BYU and Fresno St looked better, but they were poorer defenses. I think this says they are pretty comparable. Plus, if you look at Pass Defenses (since our passing game has been looking particularly good) Wyoming is the worst in the conference save for New Mexico. I try not to read too much into these stats, but this comparison does give me hope. We'll still need the defense to show up, especially against the run, and our offense can't drop back into a funk.
Can the Aggies block their front 4 as I discuss above. If they can things will open up. If not, then the stats to date won't matter because rushing Love with 4 guys with physical coverage to disrupt timing and deep help is the formula to beat love.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 13th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Hick stated it perfectly. The best way to beat the defensive scheme the Cowboys play is to effectively block the four down rushers because their scheme is not designed for heavy blitzing.

This gives Love more time to throw. More time means the zone defense gets stretched and holes appear for the receivers to attack and settle in. Less time means the zone stays tight and the db's can anticipate routes and jump the receiver as the ball is thrown because they know the QB has to let it go just after the second count.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 13th, 2019, 4:33 pm

One thing Coach Andersen mentioned in one of his weekly interviews is that they used an empty backfield a lot more in the game against Fresno. I thought they mainly only did on 3rd downs but I just started rewatching the first quarter and they actually used an empty backfield quite a bit. It opened up the middle of the field a lot more for Jordan and it will be interesting to see how much we do that against Wyoming this weekend.

An empty backfield also means Love needs to be willing to take off running to keep defenses honest, but I'm not as worried about him running in that situation as an RPO. It seems like the field opens up more when there are QB running opportunities in the empty backfield set.

Locked Previous topicNext topic