I am not giving up!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
IfelOfasofa

I am not giving up!

Post by IfelOfasofa » November 8th, 2019, 7:47 am

I don't post very much, I just read. I guess I have become that old Aggie. I remember going to day games before we had lights. I remember sitting in the south end zone among the weeds and occasional sage brush. I remember all white helmets with no logo. I have seen some horrible seasons run for years on end, mixed in with a good season from time to time. I remember when the annual byu game was on "National Tequila Day". Through all those years, one thing remained the same, I was an Aggie and an Aggie fan! It was hard, and I took some abuse, but I stayed true. I went, I watched, I supported and I waited...
Aggie football is now better than it has ever been! The last 10 or so years it has turned around, where I always wanted it to be. Bowl games, Conference and Division titles, National Rankings... my wildest dreams have came true!
Now I read that so many have given up because we aren't winning every game. I guess maybe that is a good place for the fans to be considering how it use to be, but I sure hope the players/coaches don't get on here and read what has been posted lately.
Gary Andersen literally turned this program around and took it to a place it has never been.
Matt Wells kept the program on course.
Gary is back and he needs a little time to get things set and fill holes and get his guys in the system. I for one am willing to give it to him.
Thank you Coach A! Don't quit on us, I for one, am not going to quit on you!

I proudly come from the spot where the sagebrush grows!
These users thanked the author IfelOfasofa for the post (total 16):
ThunderAggiecrazywookieFloridaAggie13Sl7vkaceofspadeskbnewtonianbluebreadysmithozzie1pJSHarveycdaAg and 6 more users

...from the spot where the sagebrush grows!
:utah: :state:

GeorgiaAggie

Re: I am not giving up!

Post by GeorgiaAggie » November 8th, 2019, 7:52 am

IfelOfasofa wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 7:47 am
I don't post very much, I just read. I guess I have become that old Aggie. I remember going to day games before we had lights. I remember sitting in the south end zone among the weeds and occasional sage brush. I remember all white helmets with no logo. I have seen some horrible seasons run for years on end, mixed in with a good season from time to time. I remember when the annual byu game was on "National Tequila Day". Through all those years, one thing remained the same, I was an Aggie and an Aggie fan! It was hard, and I took some abuse, but I stayed true. I went, I watched, I supported and I waited...
Aggie football is now better than it has ever been! The last 10 or so years it has turned around, where I always wanted it to be. Bowl games, Conference and Division titles, National Rankings... my wildest dreams have came true!
Now I read that so many have given up because we aren't winning every game. I guess maybe that is a good place for the fans to be considering how it use to be, but I sure hope the players/coaches don't get on here and read what has been posted lately.
Gary Andersen literally turned this program around and took it to a place it has never been.
Gary is back and he needs a little time to get things set and fill holes and get his guys in the system. I for one am willing to give it to him.

:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap: :thanks:
These users thanked the author GeorgiaAggie for the post:
IfelOfasofa

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » November 8th, 2019, 8:33 am

Well said!
These users thanked the author USUstudent13 for the post:
IfelOfasofa

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 8th, 2019, 8:41 am

Awesome post. Aggie fandom runs in my blood. As much as it sucks to lose at times I will always be a fan. We are not going to win 10-11 games every year there are only a handful of teams that can do that. I do want to see the team play with more passion and the coaches be creative when what they are running is not working. Losing Woody was such a huge blow on defense. He did a great job of getting everyone set and was as solid a tackler as there is. Hopefully with the new guys can learn things and be able to fill in. As Jimmy V said don't ever give up.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
JSHarvey

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » November 8th, 2019, 8:41 am

National Tequila day was the best.....
remember when two dudes ran onto the field dressed up as a lime and salt shaker.....

I too sat thru many years of cold games only to lose.
I was there when we beat Steve Young and BYU in the rain storm....
I was there when Fresno kicked at least a 99 yard field goal to win in the last second.
and I will be there Saturday, November 16, vs. Wyoming.

peace
These users thanked the author sammyhagar for the post:
IfelOfasofa

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 8th, 2019, 8:52 am

This right here is what it means to be an Aggie.
Thank you for the post and a little bit of perspective.
Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
IfelOfasofadonlarson8

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » November 8th, 2019, 9:07 am

I’m tired of everyone ripping coach A. People keep talking about him inheriting an 11 win team - no he didn’t, he inherited the youngest half of an 11 win team.

We also don’t need a drastic change, we put 540 yards on BYU. Our lack of depth this year has caught up to us, we are having a hard time polishing a drive - which is a depth issue.

Our poor D has been maxed out all year.

Back to the point of the post - I’m 100% behind this team, they are more disappointed in the performance than we are.

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » November 8th, 2019, 9:09 am

Plus the same people that say coach A looks like he lost his energy are also the ones who (I can't express myself without swearing) about Calhoun and his antics.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » November 8th, 2019, 9:10 am

I was so down on this team after that beating we took last week, but I guess hope springs eternal because I'm still excited for Aggie football. I hope we come out and compete, and I'll always back my Aggies.

UState16

Post by UState16 » November 8th, 2019, 9:43 am

We are in some great company of Aggies who have seen enough bad football to last a lifetime. I think the team is right where most of us thought we may be at the beginning of the season. The kicker is the way in which the team has lost the past few games that hurts so much. Something to think about is that our Defense has already played roughly 10 games worth of snaps and we are heading into game 9 of the season. I for one will be watching till the very end. Let's GET IT AGGIES!

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » November 8th, 2019, 10:57 am

IfelOfasofa wrote:

Well said! I agree with you 100%! My first real introduction to Aggies football was in the late 60's when my dad would take me to watch Aggie game film and listen Coach Chuck Mills dissect the film. I have been a die hard Aggie ever since. Go Aggies and go Coach A!
These users thanked the author blueaggie for the post:
IfelOfasofa

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 8th, 2019, 11:12 am

I saw Chuck Shelton at the Trailside getting a drink once. That cemented my mania.

1TruAggie

Post by 1TruAggie » November 8th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Losing to better athletes or teams having a good day in a competitive, hard-fought game goes with the territory.

Getting boat-raced by less than great teams isn't really acceptable.

Still cheering for the Ags, just don't recognize this collective group from early September. Bummed as their performance the last month or so reminds us of the bad ole days...

aggieaz

Post by aggieaz » November 8th, 2019, 4:41 pm

IfelOfasofa wrote:

My first year at USU was the year Brent Guy was hired and I went the his student gatherings. I watched as we went 1-10 and still was excited about USU football. I am hooked and proud of the it. Thanks for the post.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » November 8th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Very good post, thanks. I don't go back as far as some posters in this thread (started at USU in 1979) so my view is not quite as long-run as some, but longer than many.

What I'm seeing that worries me a bit is that Coach Andersen just doesn't seem anywhere near as fired up as he did when he was here earlier. But that level of passion is incredibly hard to maintain so maybe that is to be expected.
Things that I'm seeing that are great are:
Good recruits.
A commitment to USU.
Players working hard during the off season.
Gerald Bright's optimism.
And lots of other things to numerous to list.

I think as some have mentioned that our depth is killing us this year because we needed it and it doesn't seem to be as good as was hoped.

I am hoping the team is able to get more first downs and sustain drives all the way to points. I don't care if they do that in a couple of monster plays or grind out a 7 minute length of the field 5 yards at a time marathon. Just take most possessions to points. Or more simply - Just Win.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow. :-)

Go Aggies!

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 9th, 2019, 7:13 am

Next two games will define the season. Need to win at least one of them or the season was a colossal failure.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 9th, 2019, 7:36 am

The quest to salvage the season starts today. Let’s go Aggies!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 9th, 2019, 8:04 am

I don’t think any of us have given up. I hope to hell we finally see some adjustments because if we lose tonight we’re not going bowling. Go Aggies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 9th, 2019, 9:15 am

People aren't giving up, just disappointed that the team played so far below expectations during their last two games. Hopefully this week was a gutcheck and they play fired up and get the win tonight. Going to a bowl is still a solid accomplishment for Aggie football. Let's make it 8/9.

TheBigSilk

Post by TheBigSilk » November 9th, 2019, 9:48 am

Great Post. I have found myself amazed at the product on the field over the last 10 years, and think a lot about the students never knowing what it is like to watch your team win 1 game a season, attack punt, or live on moral victories alone. (I'm a Brent Guy era Aggie)

4 wins are not where we want to be at this point, but with any coaching change, we have to give him time. I predict 3 years in, Gary will have some scary talent, and hopefully an innovative offensive scheme to win a MWC Championship and beat our rivals consistently.

Go Aggies!

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 9th, 2019, 1:05 pm

I haven't given up on this team even though it's just a shadow of the team that opened with Wake Forest. The scouting has been done, and our opponents read us like an open crayon coloring book. Having said that, I hope we begin turning the season in our favor beginning today......... I would also hope to have excellent health, live to be 100 and be sharp as a tack the night I die in my sleep, but that too is unlikely.

Locked Previous topicNext topic