Sanfords original offense

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Notatrueaggie
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Sanfords original offense

Post by Notatrueaggie » November 4th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Ok I have finally come to the point that we completely suck. I don’t know what the deal is we don’t come to play and literally just give up and don’t even try. I don’t know how we beat sdsu on the road then just start absolutely sucking. Anyways do you guys think if Sanford brought his own offense in instead of adjusting to yost offense and adjusting it, would we be better? This question just came to mind but I hope y’all are gonna turn to basketball because we might not win another game because we are so bad. Just I want to go up to Gary and say why do we suck like $hit?

brownjeans
Flatulent
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 401 times

Re: Sanfords original offense

Post by brownjeans » November 4th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Not sure if we'd be better.
The team likely would have started slower because the team would be learning a new offense, but we'd see better play calling, more creative play calls.
With the injuries I'm not sure the team would be playing any better at this point. But I think Sanford would know much better how to leverage the strengths of the personnel and apply it if he was running his offense. He knows all the intricacies of his offense better.

I have a buddy who is a musician. His specialty is percussion - got a degree in it at USU. But he's generally a great and talented musician. The dude took my guitar and in a month was better with it than I was. So he can play guitar well and also piano. But those aren't the tools he's spent his whole life working with. Put him in a drum set, or at a marimba and you see something truly special.

Right now we're watching Sanford play an instrument he can play, but it's not one he's mastered.

It sounds totally reasonable when Gary says he's going to have his OC learn the system the players are using because it's better to get one guy to learn something new than get the entire team. But doing that is a bad idea if you want to maximize results at some point. Maybe Gary is only thinking short term and just wants the best result he can get right now. The trouble I see is that you constrain your team to playing basic tunes that fool the unwitting at a party, but you're not composing and executing finely crafted music. You won't get the best out of your coach or your team that way - not in the long run.

So I guess my short answer is that I think we might have worse results because we might not have been playing as well early, but we might be playing better now and we'd certainly be better off for next season.

Intermeddler
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Intermeddler » November 4th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Do we know this isn’t Sanfords offense? I know they made a big deal about keeping the pace and terminology the same but are the substantive plays the same? Blocking schemes?

brownjeans
Flatulent
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 401 times

Post by brownjeans » November 5th, 2019, 6:01 am

Intermeddler wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 8:48 pm
Do we know this isn’t Sanfords offense? I know they made a big deal about keeping the pace and terminology the same but are the substantive plays the same? Blocking schemes?
I haven't seen the playbook and compared it to last year, but GA and the players have said this is the same offense they ran last year.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13 & '16 FB Predict the Score, '17 & '18 Bowl
Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by sam tingey » November 5th, 2019, 6:02 am

brownjeans wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 6:01 am
Intermeddler wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 8:48 pm
I haven't seen the playbook and compared it to last year, but GA and the players have said this is the same offense they ran last year.
Neither has Sanford

Sl7vk
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 170 times

Post by Sl7vk » November 5th, 2019, 6:24 am

I thought the offense was much better on Saturday with Sanford using some jet sweeps to get to the edges. Not there yet but if you can eliminate some of the silly turnovers, getting closer.

JFW_AGGIES
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by JFW_AGGIES » November 5th, 2019, 6:29 am

We've made some small tweaks in the run game. But if you want to know what he'll ultimately want to run, go watch BSU's offense. It will be based on a power run game which is right in line with what GA wants.... which is a physically dominate team.

NVAggie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 602 times

Post by NVAggie » November 5th, 2019, 7:48 am

We need to recruit for the power run game. I don't think we currently have the horses. I'm also surprised it took this long to institute a jet sweep.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic