Is it Colombi time?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2580
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 445 times

Is it Colombi time?

Post by ineptimusprime » November 3rd, 2019, 12:47 am

Sincere question.

I like Jordan. He seems like a great kid. I wanted him to succeed a lot.

I just feel like anyone else would have been benched with the production he’s put up so far this season.



User avatar
bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff, '16 Bowl, '19 WTHCG
Posts: 2162
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston
Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by bigblue » November 3rd, 2019, 12:56 am

Honestly, I doubt it would make much of a difference. I'm thinking the coaches are more at fault than the players. Put Columbi in and have the exact same plays called and maybe we would have a few more touchdowns but I don't think it would equate to wins. I wouldn't complain if he came in for a series or two though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

TrueBlueAggie123
Posts: 143
Joined: October 14th, 2013, 5:32 pm
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » November 3rd, 2019, 12:57 am

12 interceptions in 8 games is terrible. He needs to be benched. He’s overthrowing receivers and throwing picks right to the other team. He was missing wide open receivers all night. We need to stop making excuses for him. Colombi can’t do any worse so why not see what he can do?



Blue Sage
Posts: 521
Joined: January 28th, 2015, 6:24 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by Blue Sage » November 3rd, 2019, 1:05 am

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 12:57 am
12 interceptions in 8 games is terrible. He needs to be benched. He’s overthrowing receivers and throwing picks right to the other team. He was missing wide open receivers all night. We need to stop making excuses for him. Colombi can’t do any worse so why not see what he can do?
This game he had 4 turnovers, and nearly 3 more. Love needs to figure somethings out. Hate to say it, it's Colombi time. If you have more TD passes than turnovers that's one thing but that is not what is going on here. This is not a one-game thing either, it's getting worse as the year goes on.



Slim80
Posts: 22
Joined: October 26th, 2019, 10:00 pm
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by Slim80 » November 3rd, 2019, 1:10 am

On an overall team performance basis, I don’t think it will make a difference. There are too many issues that need to be fixed and Love is only one of them. Having said that, the above arguments are pretty good so I’m all for giving Columbi a chance. What’s the worst that could happen.......we play like crap and lose a game?



Winning Team
Posts: 104
Joined: February 5th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by Winning Team » November 3rd, 2019, 1:13 am

No



Blue Sage
Posts: 521
Joined: January 28th, 2015, 6:24 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 27 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by Blue Sage » November 3rd, 2019, 1:19 am

Yup, it's Colombi time.



Donman
Posts: 2529
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:49 am
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by Donman » November 3rd, 2019, 1:22 am

Unfortunately yes. He gives the ability to run

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk




User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2720
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 183 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by AgMac » November 3rd, 2019, 1:22 am

I also don't think it would help. But there is no defending Love. He had a decent amount of time tonight and just made some terrible decisions and throws. His TD to INT ratio is embarrassing as is his QB rating. He is a not good. Not close to good.



User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2720
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 183 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by AgMac » November 3rd, 2019, 1:23 am

Donman wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 1:22 am
Unfortunately yes. He gives the ability to run

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
This is the one reason I wouldn't mind giving him a shot. He has the ability to scramble that Love just doesnt.



WasatchAggie
Posts: 585
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:58 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by WasatchAggie » November 3rd, 2019, 1:23 am

Yes. We couldn't do worse.
These users liked this post from WasatchAggie:
Blue Sage



Aggie84025
Posts: 1432
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 343 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by Aggie84025 » November 3rd, 2019, 1:39 am

Give him a few series similar to how Love got them when Meyers was playing. If he does well start giving some more. It certainly will not be much worse.



Aggie in Boise
Posts: 283
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by Aggie in Boise » November 3rd, 2019, 1:40 am

I'm not certain that Colombi is the answer but it's definitely time to give him more reps (a lot more). Tonight's interceptions were fully on Love.



aggies22
Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8175
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 2698 times
Been liked: 1510 times
Contact:

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by aggies22 » November 3rd, 2019, 1:07 am

12 picks to 8 scores 8 games into the season is definitely grounds for benching and while they're at it make room for Kyler Hack. Holy $hit he was HORRIBLE!
These users liked this post from aggies22. Total Likes: 4
BustaMcNuttAggie19FloridaAggie13Aggie in Boise



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7731
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 385 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by dyedblue » November 3rd, 2019, 5:45 am

I don’t think it changes the outcome, but why not try to get a spark?

Why did love keep trusting out there when it was 42-14?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

DCAggie24
Posts: 8
Joined: November 7th, 2018, 6:34 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by DCAggie24 » November 3rd, 2019, 9:20 am

Could we have an Ewing Theory situation come into play?



User avatar
utahcountyaggie
Posts: 92
Joined: August 15th, 2018, 11:56 am
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by utahcountyaggie » November 4th, 2019, 10:55 am

100% Colombi-Time!!!

Definitely can't be any worse than right now......but if we get him playing time, there's at least the CHANCE for something different (better)


Living amongst the Zoobs.... :anonymous:

User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14774
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 418 times
Contact:

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by treesap32 » November 4th, 2019, 11:46 am

Love currently ranks #105 in Total Quarterback Rating in FBS at 43.8.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/page/3

He is #3 in the nation in total interceptions thrown. The two quarterbacks that have thrown more are the guy from NMSU (14) and the guy from UAB (13).



Imakeitrain
Posts: 5506
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Location: Vienna, VA
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 224 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by Imakeitrain » November 4th, 2019, 11:47 am

There is a saying that goes: "The backup QB is always the most popular guy in town".
These users liked this post from Imakeitrain:
BLUERUFiO


"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 4862
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 111 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 4th, 2019, 11:48 am

We should put him in after halftime against Fresno State since his running would be effective with Fresno State dropping 8 in coverage. But don't have him start or put him in any earlier than halftime and give the chance to adjust.

Think when we played at BYU in 2011.

Also, now that there are few enough games left to let guys keep their redshirts, we could also consider Cooper Legas.



Chatman
Posts: 1087
Joined: November 30th, 2010, 11:04 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by Chatman » November 4th, 2019, 11:56 am

I am excited for Colombi to take over when it is his time

But this is a DUMB question really. Love is a legit top 5 QB and will be drafted in the first two or three rounds no matter what happens this year. You don’t bench that kid.

Let’s consider:
We lost 4 offensive linemen, an NFL running back. An NFL TE, his three top 3 receivers, his offensive coordinator, his head coach,. Give the kid a break. The expectations for this offensive were way too high.
These users liked this post from Chatman:
BLUERUFiO



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2268
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by newhouse9 » November 4th, 2019, 11:58 am

I'd love to see Henry play. Not to knock Jordan, but just because Henry is a talented kid who can bring a different energy.

Having said that, if Henry is under pressure, with little running game and few receivers who can consistently get open, I don't know that it will make a lot of difference.



User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2720
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 183 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by AgMac » November 4th, 2019, 12:30 pm

treesap32 wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 11:46 am
Love currently ranks #105 in Total Quarterback Rating in FBS at 43.8.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr/_/page/3

He is #3 in the nation in total interceptions thrown. The two quarterbacks that have thrown more are the guy from NMSU (14) and the guy from UAB (13).
This is seriously disconcerting. It is also the reason why it is DUMB to suggest that giving Colombi a shot is DUMB. I'm not saying we should, but Love's play has warranted the question.



USUstudent13
Posts: 167
Joined: November 23rd, 2016, 4:49 pm
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by USUstudent13 » November 4th, 2019, 12:47 pm

At the very least I’m surprised he didn’t even get a chance to play in the last game, down by 28 you would think he they would put him in for a drive or 2.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2798
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 373 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by ChicAggie » November 4th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Chatman wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 11:56 am
Let’s consider:
We lost 4 offensive linemen, an NFL running back. An NFL TE, his three top 3 receivers, his offensive coordinator, his head coach,. Give the kid a break. The expectations for this offensive were way too high.
I hear you, Chatman, but many of Love's poor throws this season have little/nothing to do with any of those things. Last year Love looked like the best QB in USU history. This season a full 25%-50% of his throws are so far off target I can't help but hearken back to those years when we had guys like Ron Lopez, Matt Wells, Patrick Mullins, and Kirk Johnson under center. I really feel bad for the guy because I'm not sure exactly what has happened, but to point fingers at everyone but Love also seems misguided.


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14774
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 418 times
Contact:

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by treesap32 » November 4th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Love is currently ranked #106 in Passer Rating at 118.9. For comparison, Jalen Hurts is #1 with a rating of 224.3.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... g/dir/desc

Here are the top 3:

1 - Jalen Hurts - 224.3
2 - Tua Tagovailoa - 212.4
3 - Joe Burrow - 204.5



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14774
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 418 times
Contact:

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by treesap32 » November 4th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Jordan Love's Touchdown to Int Ration is 9 touchdowns to 12 INTs (9/12)

For comparison, here are the TD/INT ratios for some other NFL Prospect QBs

Jalen Hurts - 21/3
Tua Tagavailoa - 27/2
Joe Burrow - 30/4
Justin Herbert - 24/2
Jacob Eason - 20/5
Jake Fromm - 11/3



User avatar
aggieguy13
Posts: 873
Joined: December 1st, 2010, 7:51 pm
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by aggieguy13 » November 4th, 2019, 1:26 pm

I'd like to preface this by saying that I don't for one second think that Love should be benched. However, here are his 2019 stats compared to the stats of the man he replaced as the starter in 2017:

2019 Jordan Love: 8 games: 176/295 59.7% Comp Pct., 2,014 yards, 6.83 yards per attempt, 9 TD, 12 INT, 118.9 QB Rating, 43.8 QBR, 47 rushes for 80 yards, 0 rush TD

2017 Kent Myers: 7 games: 124/197 62.9% Comp. Pct., 1,278 yards, 6.49 yards per attempt, 8 TD, 7 INT, 123.7 QB rating, 41.5 QBR, 80 rushes for 291 yards, 5 rush TD

Not great.



hickaggie
Posts: 3031
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by hickaggie » November 4th, 2019, 1:33 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 12:58 pm
Chatman wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 11:56 am
Let’s consider:
We lost 4 offensive linemen, an NFL running back. An NFL TE, his three top 3 receivers, his offensive coordinator, his head coach,. Give the kid a break. The expectations for this offensive were way too high.
I hear you, Chatman, but many of Love's poor throws this season have little/nothing to do with any of those things. Last year Love looked like the best QB in USU history. This season a full 25%-50% of his throws are so far off target I can't help but hearken back to those years when we had guys like Ron Lopez, Matt Wells, Patrick Mullins, and Kirk Johnson under center. I really feel bad for the guy because I'm not sure exactly what has happened, but to point fingers at everyone but Love also seems misguided.
Go back through last year. Love always missed a few inexplicable throws. Accuracy is not the issue with Love. Both of his first 2 Ints (I turned it off before the last one) were because he never saw the LB in the same zone, same route. He's also had a huge percentage of passes dropped. Without the Ints the first 3.5 quarters of play last night was brilliant QB play. Of course the Ints happened and are inexplicable since the LB was in his line of sight the entire plays.

I don't disagree that his picks have been mind boggling and certainly cost the Aggies the Wake Forest game. Had he not had them Saturday I think it would have been like a 49-35 loss or something like that. But they happened and I don't disagree with those who want to play Columbine. But Love is still the least of this team's problems.



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14774
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 418 times
Contact:

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by treesap32 » November 4th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Love had several passes that he way over- and under-threw on Saturday. I remember 2 or 3 that were "easy" quick throws under no pressure toward the sideline, maybe 5-8 yards away that he simply threw into the stands. I'm surprised that you saw his play on Saturday as brilliant even discounting his 3 ints. He did rack up some yards (394), but ended up with 1 TD pass, 3 Interceptions, and a 59.2% completion percentage. That completion percentage is actually below his poor average this year (59.7%). His QBR was 121.2 which is slightly above his abysmal 118.9 on the year which ranks him among the worst in all of FBS.

Last year, Love's passing percentage was 64% and his QBR was 158.3. He had a 32 to 6 TD to INT ratio.

This is a completely different quarterback. It seems like many fans and even our own coaches are giving Love a huge benefit of the doubt based on how he performed last year and the hype he got coming into this season. If his name wasn't Jordan Love he would've been benched by now.

Sorry, but that's the truth. Flame away.
These users liked this post from treesap32. Total Likes: 2
codingaggieZaggie07



hickaggie
Posts: 3031
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by hickaggie » November 4th, 2019, 2:49 pm

treesap32 wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 2:40 pm
Love had several passes that he way over- and under-threw on Saturday. I remember 2 or 3 that were "easy" quick throws under no pressure toward the sideline, maybe 5-8 yards away that he simply threw into the stands. I'm surprised that you saw his play on Saturday as brilliant even discounting his 3 ints. He did rack up some yards (394), but ended up with 1 TD pass, 3 Interceptions, and a 59.2% completion percentage. That completion percentage is actually below his poor average this year (59.7%). His QBR was 121.2 which is slightly above his abysmal 118.9 on the year which ranks him among the worst in all of FBS.

Last year Love's passing percentage was 64% and his QBR was 158.3. He had a 32 to 6 TD to INT ratio.

This is a completely different quarterback. It seems like many fans and even our own coaches are giving Love a huge benefit of the doubt based on how he performed last year and the hype he got coming into this season. If his name wasn't Jordan Love he would've been benched by now.

Sorry, but that's the truth. Flame away.
I only watched the first 3.5 quarters. He was 15 of 18 at one point with 2 picks. The throw out of the end zone was a huge mistake. He had Bright wide open for the TD underneath. He had 2 big plays called back for illegal man downfield including a TD. He under threw one play under pressure that I saw and had one other bad incompletion.

Other than the baffling picks I thought he looked sharp, was patient under pressure, and moved well through the first 3 quarters. I didn't realize he was all the way down to 59% by the end of the game.



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5163
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 289 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by Aglicious » November 4th, 2019, 4:26 pm

After watching the game again last night I really have to question why we didn't see Colombi for a series or two just to let Jordan watch the game from a different perspective. BYU was bringing 3 guys on most downs with a LB as the 4th guy that would approach late and usually spy Love or pick up the RB should they release into the flat. There was no secret to anything they were doing. There was often 10-12 yards of open field beyond the LOS unless our WRs ran short routes. We could have dumped it to a RB over and over for gains of 7-10 yards all night long but we just refused to do it. We could have called delayed QB runs or draw plays to RB's all night but instead we never forced them to change their game plan or scheme.

On the INTs to the LB's Love had RB's that were coming off their chip block and about to come open with open field all around but instead of being patient or aware of that he had his eyes fixated down field staring down Nathan who was trying to find an opening in the zone D. It's like he forgets there are other options available and that you can move the ball down the field with gains that are less than 20 yards. I sometimes think he grew too accustomed to the number of explosive type plays last year and wants to move the ball that way again this year no matter what might be available. He will always opt for the high risk/high reward deeper route over a shorter one that may be the more safe play.
These users liked this post from Aglicious:
JSHarvey



User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 647
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by El Sapo » November 5th, 2019, 10:34 am

The coaches haven't disciplined Love for any of his mistakes and it's too late to start now. He really could have benefited from some constructive discipline. Like I've said before, it's unacceptable for him to make certain mistakes on certain parts of the field. If he had learned that early this season? Things might have been different moving forward. Mistakes are magnified against better teams, so it's important to get things sorted out even when the other team isn't competitive.

Understand that a lot of the mistakes Love made were the result of bad calls by Sanford or poorly run plays by his teammates. It's up to the coach to identify Love's mistakes and make him aware that it's unacceptable.


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 647
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by El Sapo » November 5th, 2019, 10:44 am

Aglicious wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 4:26 pm
After watching the game again last night I really have to question why we didn't see Colombi for a series or two just to let Jordan watch the game from a different perspective. BYU was bringing 3 guys on most downs with a LB as the 4th guy that would approach late and usually spy Love or pick up the RB should they release into the flat. There was no secret to anything they were doing. There was often 10-12 yards of open field beyond the LOS unless our WRs ran short routes. We could have dumped it to a RB over and over for gains of 7-10 yards all night long but we just refused to do it. We could have called delayed QB runs or draw plays to RB's all night but instead we never forced them to change their game plan or scheme.

On the INTs to the LB's Love had RB's that were coming off their chip block and about to come open with open field all around but instead of being patient or aware of that he had his eyes fixated down field staring down Nathan who was trying to find an opening in the zone D. It's like he forgets there are other options available and that you can move the ball down the field with gains that are less than 20 yards. I sometimes think he grew too accustomed to the number of explosive type plays last year and wants to move the ball that way again this year no matter what might be available. He will always opt for the high risk/high reward deeper route over a shorter one that may be the more safe play.
Sitake said after the game that they played a "special" defense just for the Aggies. He said they saw on film that Love has a rhythm to his throws and their defense was reacting based on timing. All they had to do was guess if it was a 3 step drop or a 5 step drop and they knew pretty much when the ball would come out of Loves hands. Like I've said before teams study and take away the first option, some QB's are defeated by that. Pro QB's are defeated by that.

So Gary or Sanford are supposed to see that adjustment. Give them a quarter. They should see what the stench are doing. Like you say, pull Love out for a series and explain it to him. Let him watch what the stench is doing on the field, See if the timing changes with Henry and if the stench can adjust.

It didn't happen. We got out coached by Sitake?
These users liked this post from El Sapo:
JSHarvey


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

BigBlueBlood
Posts: 30
Joined: January 4th, 2013, 12:30 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Is it Colombi time?

Post by BigBlueBlood » November 5th, 2019, 11:24 am

None can be more frustrated than Jordan. Who knows if it's time, but it's clear there is a difference between last year's JL and this year's. In fact, the first game he looked like the QB I'm sure he wants to be. Something has changed. He didn't just forget how to be a stellar QB. Is it play calling, new coaching, a disconnect with new receivers, lack of synergy with new and young OL? Who knows? But someone needs to figure out the variable(s) and get them fixed. Otherwise, letting him take a breather and allowing another to step in for a while may be necessary. My concern is that while he was hurried some and sacked a few times on Saturday, he had more time than previous weeks in my view, and when receivers were wide open, he under or over threw them, or didn't notice them, which is totally uncharacteristic of JL. So, again, collectively they need to find the variable(s) and fix them. He's got too much talent. It's a head scratcher for certain.
These users liked this post from BigBlueBlood:
El Sapo



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic