Utah State and BYU insults and stereotypes

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieVoice
Has thanked: 0

Utah State and BYU insults and stereotypes

Post by AggieVoice » October 29th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Just for fun this rivalry week. What are some of the best and worst insults and stereotypes that these two fan bases use year in and year out?

USU:

1) Farmers - I like this one. It gives me pride, it's playful. If they mean it as insulting, it doesn't stick. Who doesn't want to be associated with farmers?
2) Ogden - I have never understood this one. It just seems stupid. It is annoying though and red flags them as a truly despicable person, so I guess it serves their purpose.
3) BYU rejects, or couldn't get into BYU - I transferred from BYU to Utah State so I love when this one gets thrown at me. I wonder what others think.

BYU:

1) Zoobs - not sure what this means, but we all use it.
2) BYU - Provo - I really like this one and it seems somewhat new. If you can tactfully place it in a conversation with a zoob, it lands well. Probably comparable to the Ogden one, but it actually makes sense.
3) MLM's - tried and true stereotype.

Any others? Which of these are the most effective, and which ones are just plain dumb? I'm sure there are a million others for BYU, throw out as many as you'd like. :devil:

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: Utah State and BYU insults and stereotypes

Post by USU78 » October 29th, 2019, 6:18 pm

There's the one about the escaped man-eating tiger that starved to death in Provo.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 3):
AhbyeNVAggieAggieSkiBum

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 29th, 2019, 6:20 pm

I like when they call us Dairy Utes, I don't know why, but it makes me laugh. And since the Utes have kicked their collective (I can't express myself without swearing) for a decade and we're going to make it a trifecta this weekend....

I don't really have any for byu, I just prefer to call them the dumbasses.

I enjoy when they break out #3 as well. I went to both schools, so I know what's cookin' in the kitchen so to speak. Like I said, dumbasses.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
Usu0505AggieSkiBum

Go Aggies!

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 29th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Make something that connects BYU’s football team to Provo’s Most Eligible. That will do it.

And BYU-Provo Tigers is another fun way to troll.

#SkinTheCat

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 29th, 2019, 6:37 pm

I remember some good videos posted here about BYU football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DreadPirateRoberts

Post by DreadPirateRoberts » October 29th, 2019, 6:53 pm

AggieVoice wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 4:35 pm
Just for fun this rivalry week. What are some of the best and worst insults and stereotypes that these two fan bases use year in and year out?

USU:

1) Farmers - I like this one. It gives me pride, it's playful. If they mean it as insulting, it doesn't stick. Who doesn't want to be associated with farmers?
2) Ogden - I have never understood this one. It just seems stupid. It is annoying though and red flags them as a truly despicable person, so I guess it serves their purpose.
3) BYU rejects, or couldn't get into BYU - I transferred from BYU to Utah State so I love when this one gets thrown at me. I wonder what others think.

BYU:

2) BYU - Provo - I really like this one and it seems somewhat new. If you can tactfully place it in a conversation with a zoob, it lands well. Probably comparable to the Ogden one, but it actually makes sense.

Any others? Which of these are the most effective, and which ones are just plain dumb? I'm sure there are a million others for BYU, throw out as many as you'd like. :devil:
Zoobs is an older one. My grandpa, who lives up the road from BYU-Provo refers to the campus as "The Zoo". I think it comes from his generation. So those who attend "The Zoo" are referred to as Zoobies or Zoobs for short.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 29th, 2019, 11:12 pm

I like to point out that their student section ROC or Roar of Cougars is a physiological impossibility. Cougars don't roar. They can purr, hiss, scream, growl, and snarl; but, they cannot roar.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 4):
FloridaAggie13USUMAENVAggiethegreendalegelf

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Servo

Post by Servo » October 29th, 2019, 11:54 pm

DreadPirateRoberts wrote:
October 29th, 2019, 6:53 pm
AggieVoice wrote:

USU:

BYU:

Zoobs is an older one. My grandpa, who lives up the road from BYU-Provo refers to the campus as "The Zoo". I think it comes from his generation. So those who attend "The Zoo" are referred to as Zoobies or Zoobs for short.
And it's nicknamed "The Zoo" because its like being in a cage.

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

Mockingherd
Troll
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mockingherd » October 30th, 2019, 12:11 am

Rapist U. How many last weekend?

Get a grip on your campus and students.

Freaks.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 30th, 2019, 5:20 am

Mockingherd wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 12:11 am

Freaks.
Your an idiot. So is your school.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/BYU-I ... for/244164

KissMyAg

Post by KissMyAg » October 30th, 2019, 6:32 am

YBU is a good one
These users thanked the author KissMyAg for the post:
JSHarvey

Mockingherd
Troll

Post by Mockingherd » October 30th, 2019, 7:56 am

slcagg wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 5:20 am
Mockingherd wrote:

Freaks.

Ok. Torrey Green. Or is it Lamar Dawson? Or are you one of the dozen wanna be frat boys charged with sexual assault?

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 30th, 2019, 8:19 am

Mockingherd wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 7:56 am
slcagg wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 5:20 am
Mockingherd wrote:

Freaks.

Ok. Torrey Green. Or is it Lamar Dawson? Or are you one of the dozen wanna be frat boys charged with sexual assault?
Admittedly you’ve got us beat on high profile sexual assault reports. Of course, that could be due to the fact that the Honor Code Office actively suppresses reporting sexual assault!
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
USUMAE

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 30th, 2019, 8:19 am

AggieVoice wrote:

USU:

BYU:

In relation to farmers and Ogden, they semi-frustrate me because I find them to be looking down on middle America. The Ogden one is at least somewhat funny because I think it's based on a photo of a sign in Ogden that says "Ogden: Home to Utah State University" or something. Maybe a satellite campus? :noidea:

The third one, "not getting into BYU" is partially true. I grew up "liking BYU" but I was also not going to pass my ecclesiastical interview, so I didn't apply. However, I did end up getting a graduate degree from William & Mary. So, they can say what they want. No one gives a rat's tush where someone went to school now. I could have gone to SUU, Weber, UVU, etc. and would be just as qualified for my job in a major city right now. All that matters is you have a degree in something and have relevant skills.- That being said, when it comes to a first job out of school (which is relevant) USU has a lot of opportunity to improve our career center.

1. I think zoobs refer to BYU being a "zoo" but that's understanding from the grapevine.
2. The mighty BYU-Provo Tigers. (It's what the Ogden reference could be, instead of coming across as scoffing at Ogden)

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » October 30th, 2019, 8:55 am

I guess what sticks in my craw is how they are supposed to be the "Classy" fans/university. Not all, but a majority of their fans have a superior attitude that make some of them insufferable. All fans have idiots, I get it, but they pat themselves on the back about the comments they get when they play "big" name programs about how awesome their fans are. I guess it doesn't trickle down however to the supposedly "little brother". Those fans are hypocrites and are not ashamed of it. That's why I want to see a beat down on their program for many many years.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 30th, 2019, 9:13 am

i drove the carpool today and picked up a random stranger going in to DC for work this morning. this is actually pretty common in the DC area -- they call it 'slugging'. anyway, the guy was a mechanical engineer grad from Georgia Tech who did submarine acoustics work. when he asked where I went to school as i shared that i'm also an engineer, he said "oh hey! the Aggies! i love the Aggies!"

so chalk one up for the ogden cow school.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 30th, 2019, 9:21 am

I always love to tell the intern story. Long ago while working in Uddah County, I had an intern from ybu. Nice enough kid, originally from Bozo. Anywho, when he found out I was an Aggie, he proceeded to tell me he hated USU because he really wanted to go there as a young adult and applied but ultimately was rejected. After his Mission he applied to ybu and got accepted immediately. He couldn't understand how USU would reject his application for admission but ybu would gladly take him.

Harvard of the West folks! :lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 30th, 2019, 9:25 am

ViAggie wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 9:21 am
I always love to tell the intern story. Long ago while working in Uddah County, I had an intern from ybu. Nice enough kid, originally from Bozo. Anywho, when he found out I was an Aggie, he proceeded to tell me he hated USU because he really wanted to go there as a young adult and applied but ultimately was rejected. After his Mission he applied to ybu and got accepted immediately. He couldn't understand how USU would reject his application for admission but ybu would gladly take him.

strange.

we accept pretty much anyone with a pulse

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 30th, 2019, 9:30 am

kittens - the mighty (smelly) YBU kittens.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 30th, 2019, 9:32 am

Mockingherd wrote:

Freaks.
I agree, it needs to be fixed. USU is working hard to fix it too. It's unacceptable.

However, at least at USU victims feel they can actually report it. At BYU there's a whole slew of instances where girls don't even dare report the sexual assault because they know BYU will investigate what else was going on and kick them out of school for it. It's ridiculous. Especially when the honor code office and campus police were in cahoots together.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on October 30th, 2019, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 5):
IntermeddlerthegreendalegelfZaggie07sneedJSHarvey

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 30th, 2019, 9:43 am

Anyone remember when a crackhead lectured everyone about how holy BYU is and how trashy his in-state rival was?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 30th, 2019, 10:09 am

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » October 30th, 2019, 10:52 am

These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
USU78

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 30th, 2019, 11:01 am

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » October 30th, 2019, 11:04 am

USU78 wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 11:01 am
We should play that on the Jumbotron in the Mav this Saturday when BYU offense takes the field!
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78BearLakeMonster

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 30th, 2019, 11:10 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 11:04 am
USU78 wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 11:01 am
We should play that on the Jumbotron in the Mav this Saturday when BYU offense takes the field!
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post (total 2):
USU78AggieSkiBum

tysteve20

Post by tysteve20 » October 30th, 2019, 11:44 am

They HATE being called BYU-Provo with a passion, so I go out of my way to use it.
Elder Stevenson of the 12 referred to it as such in a devotional there one time and people on cougarboard were honestly saying things like, "this just proves even apostles can make mistakes" and "what a ute move"

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » October 30th, 2019, 11:57 am

AggieVoice wrote:

USU:

BYU:

I really prefer using Ricks - Provo over #2 on the list. Using Ricks - Provo can elicit some good responses in the right crowd, but it used to be that half the Provo campus wen to Ricks first, until Ricks became a 4 year school.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 30th, 2019, 1:03 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 9:25 am
ViAggie wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 9:21 am

strange.

we accept pretty much anyone with a pulse
Apparently not - maybe we had met our potato quota for the year? He didn't live far enough south? Wasn't in Franklin or Cassea [sic?] county? Iduno? :noidea:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

sdiggety

Post by sdiggety » October 30th, 2019, 1:54 pm

I was a student from out of state- so I don't understand why them saying the Ogden thing would bother anyone.

I think it makes them look dumb and ignorant. It's like they live in their imaginary world where they have to ignore getting dominated by a school twice in a row.

They have a reputation out-of-state, and maybe in-state, as living inside their own bubble, like they struggle if they leave because Provo is kind of bubbled in from the real world, and they get all shocked if they ever leave because they don't about anything on the outside. So i hear people say that stuff, and i also see other people say it because they actually believe it because they hear people say it. And i just think they all look dumb and ignorant for it and it doesn't really stick if you are losing to the team you are claiming you dont know where they are.

I think the tiger thing is similar but the reason it is funny is because a reporter congratulated them on their bowl win by calling them the tigers.

I think if someone called us the utah state bulls after winning a bowl game on live tv this season that would actually sting. I think messing up the location just makes a person look dumb

Turtle

Post by Turtle » October 30th, 2019, 3:19 pm

These users thanked the author Turtle for the post (total 2):
AndroidAggiesneed

bigbluebaby

Post by bigbluebaby » October 30th, 2019, 3:30 pm

I am lobbying in honor of all of the Multi Level Marketing companies in Provo to change the mascot at BYU to the “Downliners”.

Go here to list your pics of all the useless MLM crap you were guilted into buying.

Let’s get this done!

#down-liners

"So your saying I got a chance ??!!"

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 30th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Turtle wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 3:19 pm
They really do like that one, don't they?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 30th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 8:19 am
AggieVoice wrote:

USU:

BYU:

In relation to farmers and Ogden, they semi-frustrate me because I find them to be looking down on middle America. The Ogden one is at least somewhat funny because I think it's based on a photo of a sign in Ogden that says "Ogden: Home to Utah State University" or something. Maybe a satellite campus? :noidea:

The third one, "not getting into BYU" is partially true. I grew up "liking BYU" but I was also not going to pass my ecclesiastical interview, so I didn't apply. However, I did end up getting a graduate degree from William & Mary. So, they can say what they want. No one gives a rat's tush where someone went to school now. I could have gone to SUU, Weber, UVU, etc. and would be just as qualified for my job in a major city right now. All that matters is you have a degree in something and have relevant skills.- That being said, when it comes to a first job out of school (which is relevant) USU has a lot of opportunity to improve our career center.

1. I think zoobs refer to BYU being a "zoo" but that's understanding from the grapevine.
2. The mighty BYU-Provo Tigers. (It's what the Ogden reference could be, instead of coming across as scoffing at Ogden)
This is just someone who photoshopped "Utah" over "Weber" on the photo of the sign. I honestly don't understand why they think the Ogden thing is so funny but that's what you get when one is trapped in a echo chamber and witnesses other idiots that are peers laugh at something that is not funny - one just laughs like an idiot too and passes it on to the next clone.

The only explanation I have ever been told is that it is meant to be a cut against USU being so insignificant that no one even knows where it is. :noidea:

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 30th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Locked Previous topicNext topic