Three plays that changed the game

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Coloraggie

Three plays that changed the game

Post by Coloraggie » October 28th, 2019, 11:00 am

I know it was many plays but three plays to me really stood out that changed the complexion of the game or revealed our attitude.

1. Sorry Tania, but Jordan Nathan dropped ball on the 2nd possession of the game killed us. He had a first down and running room as his defender was 3 yards behind him. Easy first down, with a block and move could have been a TD. If the offense gets going and can get a groove and we score it is a different game.

2. 2nd half, we score, hold AFA to 3 and out. The ball is downed at the 1, which was a terrible call that should have been challenged because the guy from AFA had a foot in the endzone when he downed it but that isn't my complaint. Run on 1st down OK. Now you have some room, the run up the gut on 2nd was awful. AFA expected it, defended it and put us in a bad situation, same problem we had against Wake. At that point the game was 17-7, if we can go out with the intent to score we could make it 17-14 and pressure goes back to AFA. Instead we get a 30 yard punt into the wind and AFA scores again.

3. Next possession 2 minutes left in quarter down 24-7, ball near midfield, we gotten a first down, Love takes a sack we get some yards back and it is 4th and 7. We're going into the wind so the punt won't travel far, time is getting low but still time in the game, we can't stop AFA and they chew up the clock. We punt. Gary should have just taken the team off the field at that point and conceded the game. We didn't have a great chance to win but there was still some chance if we convert and score. The whole team knew we had thrown in the towel and continued to play like it.

I'm not saying we win if change any of these 3 plays but if certainly would have given us a chance. On both players and coaches, players let us down but coaches didn't coach to win. With the wind I'm not sure why we didn't try to run the ball, you could tell anytime Love threw deep the wind was a factor, also a factor for the AFA QBs who overthrew a couple of wide open receivers by 5 yards going with the wind.

I left the game with 10 minutes left in 4th (I had a 5 year old who was freezing and I didn't want to see that crap), in the parking lot the USU buses were already moving to pick up the team, all I could think of was the chant :"warm up the bus."
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Roy McAvoy

Re: Three plays that changed the game

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 28th, 2019, 11:05 am

Coloraggie wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 11:00 am

2. 2nd half, we score, hold AFA to 3 and out. The ball is downed at the 1, which was a terrible call that should have been challenged because the guy from AFA had a foot in the endzone when he downed it but that isn't my complaint. Run on 1st down OK. Now you have some room, the run up the gut on 2nd was awful. AFA expected it, defended it and put us in a bad situation, same problem we had against Wake. At that point the game was 17-7, if we can go out with the intent to score we could make it 17-14 and pressure goes back to AFA. Instead we get a 30 yard punt into the wind and AFA scores again.
This exactly. Those offensive play calls were a great summary of the season. We were down 17-7! What are we afraid of?! Getting a safety and we might lose? We were already getting absolutely dominated and hadn't shown we could stop Air Force's offense. Those two read option hand offs on 1st and 2nd down were the most pitiful sad play calls. I knew at that point the game was over.

It was a bummer too because we had some momentum after scoring a TD on the first drive of the 2nd half. Why not stay in attack mode? I literally told the friend I was at the game "They're going run it right up the gut here. It's not going to go anywhere and we aren't getting a first down."

I don't get it. Again, the play calling just feels like we're scared and playing not to lose instead of playing to win.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on October 28th, 2019, 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 28th, 2019, 11:05 am

Sanford loves to run inside zone on 2nd and long. Perhaps my biggest frustration with his calls honestly. Puts us in a lot of third and longs.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 28th, 2019, 11:40 am

Coloraggie wrote:
I know it was many plays but three plays to me really stood out that changed the complexion of the game or revealed our attitude.
1. Sorry Tania, but Jordan Nathan dropped ball on the 2nd possession of the game killed us. He had a first down and running room as his defender was 3 yards behind him. Easy first down, with a block and move could have been a TD. If the offense gets going and can get a groove and we score it is a different game.

3. Next possession 2 minutes left in quarter down 24-7, ball near midfield, we gotten a first down, Love takes a sack we get some yards back and it is 4th and 7. We're going into the wind so the punt won't travel far, time is getting low but still time in the game, we can't stop AFA and they chew up the clock. We punt. Gary should have just taken the team off the field at that point and conceded the game. We didn't have a great chance to win but there was still some chance if we convert and score. The whole team knew we had thrown in the towel and continued to play like it.

I'm not saying we win if change any of these 3 plays but if certainly would have given us a chance. On both players and coaches, players let us down but coaches didn't coach to win. With the wind I'm not sure why we didn't try to run the ball, you could tell anytime Love threw deep the wind was a factor, also a factor for the AFA QBs who overthrew a couple of wide open receivers by 5 yards going with the wind.

I left the game with 10 minutes left in 4th (I had a 5 year old who was freezing and I didn't want to see that crap), in the parking lot the USU buses were already moving to pick up the team, all I could think of was the chant :"warm up the bus."
No need to apologize to me, I chewed his butt already. I will only say this, he has never dropped this many balls so I'm not sure what the heck is going on....sorry guys.....believe me - he's his worst critic
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
Jjoey53BadElbow

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » October 28th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Tania, thanks so much for always bringing a level head to the board. I’m sure all of these players are their own worst critic.

The O will click again. It was cold and the wind was pretty bad last Saturday, I could see the ball effected in the air in the first half.

I feel like we need to get a win soon just to relieve some pressure mentally - but we will be back on track.
Last edited by KissMyAg on October 28th, 2019, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 28th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:

This exactly. Those offensive play calls were a great summary of the season. We were down 17-7! What are we afraid of?! Getting a safety and we might lose? We were already getting absolutely dominated and hadn't shown we could stop Air Force's offense. Those two read option hand offs on 1st and 2nd down were the most pitiful sad play calls. I knew at that point the game was over.

It was a bummer too because we had some momentum after scoring a TD on the first drive of the 2nd half. Why not stay in attack mode? I literally told the friend I was at the game "They're going run it right up the gut here. It's not going to go anywhere and we aren't getting a first down."

I don't get it. Again, the play calling just feels like we're scared and playing not to lose instead of playing to win.
Been that wat way since WF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 28th, 2019, 12:17 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 12:04 pm
Tania, thanks so much for always bringing a level head to the board. I’m sure all of these players are their own worst critic.

The O will click again. It was cold and the wind was pretty bad last Saturday, I could see the ball effected in the air in the first half.

I feel like we need to get a win soon just to relieve some pressure mentally - but we will be back on track.
I have now heard this every single week since SDSU. The coaches have been acutely aware of how atrocious the offense has been. We've have several weeks, including two bye weeks, to figure something out. But we haven't. Unfortunately, this is our offense for at least the rest of this season. There is no magic button we can push to turn it around

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 28th, 2019, 1:07 pm

I wish we would have a good weather game so we can finally squash that annoying excuse. We act like the other team isn't dealing with the same weather. Newsflash, USU is located in Logan, UT. We should live for poor weather games.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13usufan1

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 28th, 2019, 1:27 pm

The 3rd and 8 for AF early in the game that they got a 40 yard run off of was ridiculous and seemed to set the tone for the game.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 28th, 2019, 1:33 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 12:04 pm

This is getting old. Every week I read the same thing here. It's windy, it's cold, it's raining. WTF, can the offense only work in perfect weather conditions?

The offense doesn't work, period. Sanford and his crayon-based playbook don't work. Talent is being mismanaged. Nathan should be in the slot, Devon Thompkins doesn't get enough looks. We have ONE running play. We should be running jet sweeps, running back sweeps, circle routes to the RB or slot, misdirection on occasion to at least threaten the defense and force them to defend the entire field entire field and not just the six square yards between the two guards.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
Aggie in BoiseChicAggie

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 28th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Nothing stood out to me as being a game changer other than Stumpeford crawling into a fetal position with the ball on our one yard line (yes it was a legitimate spot according to college rules) just as he did against Wake. We finally had offensive momentum, forced a punt, and he runs consecutive running plays (the only one in the playbook apparently) leading to a predictable play call on third down. After that it was over.

How about breaking a tendency and running a play they don't expect? Of course, that would require another set of crayons and for Straddlefield to flip over the napkin.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
Aggie in Boise

paaron46

Post by paaron46 » October 28th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Remember the play where Air Force was in 1st and 20 after a penalty and we gave up a 20 yard run?

*Sigh*

Twitter: @AaronPeck

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 28th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
I have to disagree here. Yes, he was wide open and the pass was right at him. The problem was its velocity and placement. It had a whole lot of pepper on it and nearly drilled a a hole into into his mid-right occipital bone. Jordan had to reach back for it, and it wasn't really catchable. With the space he was running in, if the pass leads him just a smidge and he catches it in stride, arguably we have a TD.

That one was entirely on Love. Had Nathan snagged it, it would have been one of the top 5 athletic accomplishments of the past month.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 28th, 2019, 2:19 pm

USU78 wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 2:15 pm
Coloraggie wrote:
I have to disagree here. Yes, he was wide open and the pass was right at him. The problem was its velocity and placement. It had a whole lot of pepper on it and nearly drilled a a hole into into his mid-right occipital bone. Jordan had to reach back for it, and it wasn't really catchable. With the space he was running in, if the pass leads him just a smidge and he catches it in stride, arguably we have a TD.

That one was entirely on Love. Had Nathan snagged it, it would have been one of the top 5 athletic accomplishments of the past month.

[Wasn't a perfect throw, but we need to make those catches. Love generally has a lot of pepper on his throws so it is not something new. As a receiver is if you get your hands on the ball you need to make that catch.]

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 28th, 2019, 2:20 pm

paaron46 wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 2:14 pm
Remember the play where Air Force was in 1st and 20 after a penalty and we gave up a 20 yard run?

*Sigh*
Which one?
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13AggieBlues

USU78

Post by USU78 » October 28th, 2019, 2:20 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 11:40 am
Coloraggie wrote:

No need to apologize to me, I chewed his butt already. I will only say this, he has never dropped this many balls so I'm not sure what the heck is going on....sorry guys.....believe me - he's his worst critic
You don't throw 100 mph fastballs at guys 10 yards away, aimed behind his earholes, and expect it to be caught. The Bears had a QB back in the day who played like that, Bobby Douglass. He didn't stick in the league because he found the concept of "touch" beneath him.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

aggietime

Post by aggietime » October 28th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
This was the point I turned the game off. Down 17 with 3:17 left in the 3rd quarter, I knew we would get the ball back 2 or maaaybe 3 more times. That meant we had to score on every drive and hold AFA from scoring again. Both of those were not happening. The punt was going into the wind and traveled all of 26 yards. As you noted, GA may as well have taken the team into the locker room. Here are the drives that happened after that punt:

AFA 11 plays, 66 yards in 6:21 of game time. TD

USU 3 plays, -3 yards in :41 of game time. Punt

AFA 9 plays, 43 yards in 6:32 of game time. Punt

USU 3 plays, 0 yards in 1:28 of game time. Punt

AFA 2 plays, -4 yards in 1:20 of game time. End of game.

GA is obviously a great recruiter and is loved by the players, but for the life of me I can't figure out why he plays not to lose when he's ALREADY losing.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 28th, 2019, 2:42 pm

USU78 wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 2:20 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:

You don't throw 100 mph fastballs at guys 10 yards away, aimed behind his earholes, and expect it to be caught. The Bears had a QB back in the day who played like that, Bobby Douglass. He didn't stick in the league because he found the concept of "touch" beneath him.
This was an early critique of John Elway as well. Bill Walsh used to lay into Joe Montana and Steve Young when they didn't properly lead the receiver. Catching the ball with full momentum even while guarded, meant gaining three or four additional yards.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
USU78

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 28th, 2019, 4:30 pm

USU78 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Coloraggie wrote:

These are D1 receivers, it was not Payton Manning throwing balls to kids in United Way ads

letsbehonest

Post by letsbehonest » October 28th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Does anyone have a clip of the play in question. I thought it hit him in stride and in the hands, but could be mistaken.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 28th, 2019, 5:12 pm

letsbehonest wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Does anyone have a clip of the play in question. I thought it hit him in stride and in the hands, but could be mistaken.

letsbehonest

Post by letsbehonest » October 28th, 2019, 5:18 pm

So it hit him right in the hands, no reaching back. He probably doesn't score but at least gets the first down and possibly a big chunk of yardage.

USU78

Post by USU78 » October 28th, 2019, 6:08 pm

There you go

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 28th, 2019, 6:14 pm

So, are we saying Jordan miss was a key reason we lost the game? If so, I call BS, he missed, like all the other guys....that play was not any more or less crucial than the 50 other drops we’ve had this season. Believe me he's not too high on himself right now....
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
USU78FloridaAggie13

letsbehonest

Post by letsbehonest » October 28th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Not the reason we lost. A play that could have help build momentum yes. The game was lost in the trenches though.

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » October 28th, 2019, 6:24 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 6:14 pm
So, are we saying Jordan miss was a key reason we lost the game? If so, I call BS, he missed, like all the other guys....that play was not any more or less crucial than the 50 other drops we’ve had this season. Believe me he's not too high on himself right now....
A 'frickin' men. This game was lost because AF completely controlled the LOS the entire game. No disrespect Coloaggie.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 28th, 2019, 6:31 pm

taniataylor wrote:So, are we saying Jordan miss was a key reason we lost the game? If so, I call BS, he missed, like all the other guys....that play was not any more or less crucial than the 50 other drops we’ve had this season. Believe me he's not too high on himself right now....

Not all all, his was just one of many mistakes. That game was a total team effort from Anderson on down to last player on bench.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 28th, 2019, 6:46 pm

That play was a very tough catch to make like many of the so called drops against Nevada. Ball placement has not been good.

That play would have tripled our offensive output on the day, so there is that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

GUS

Post by GUS » October 28th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Look at how many players AF has in the box on that play. Seems like they did that all night. Crowded the box and dared USU to do something different. Problem was USU stuck with the same old playbook.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 28th, 2019, 7:28 pm

taniataylor wrote:So, are we saying Jordan miss was a key reason we lost the game? If so, I call BS, he missed, like all the other guys....that play was not any more or less crucial than the 50 other drops we’ve had this season. Believe me he's not too high on himself right now....
Nope, if he catches that we win. You’re too close to the situation to be objective.

Hail Aggies!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 28th, 2019, 7:54 pm

We would have won but for AFA completely outplaying us.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 28th, 2019, 8:00 pm

I mean he should have caught that, but it is not possible that his miss made the top 3 reasons why we lost....
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
USU78

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 28th, 2019, 8:17 pm

dyedblue wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 6:46 pm
That play was a very tough catch to make like many of the so called drops against Nevada. Ball placement has not been good.

That play would have tripled our offensive output on the day, so there is that.

[Where would could the ball have been placed better? It seemed to hit him right in the hand in stride. Don't get me wrong this is by no means the top reason we lost, but this could have been a big play. I hope all the players and coaches can get their confidence back because they are for sure doubting right now. Tania, give Jordan our best and that we believe in him and expect big things this Saturday.]

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 28th, 2019, 8:44 pm

It is as on the back (left side) of his and zipped in there at 900 mph. A foot in front of him and he catches it.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 28th, 2019, 9:00 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 28th, 2019, 6:14 pm
Tell him that we care if USU wins and loses, but also to not let himself take criticism personally. Not that anyone here in the thread has crossed the line.

Locked Previous topicNext topic