Most Disappointing Season Ever?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tinplater

Most Disappointing Season Ever?

Post by tinplater » October 27th, 2019, 8:12 am

After all the pre season hype this year, I don't think I can ever recall being more disappointed in the reality of the season. I remember folks on this board seeing an 11-2 record, dominating teams, big bowl opportunities. Any of you recall a season with greater failed expectations? Worse seasons, yes, but greater underachieving?

dyedblue

Re: Most Disappointing Season Ever?

Post by dyedblue » October 27th, 2019, 8:15 am

It might be a little too early to say that it is the biggest disappointment. 11-2 was a stretch, but it is clear we didn’t get the same GA that left us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 27th, 2019, 8:17 am

We had pretty high expectations in 2016 and ended up winning only 3 games that year. I don't remember most people thinking we'd win 11 games with this year's schedule. Most people said at the start of the year that even if this year's team was as good as last year's the record could be worse because of the tougher schedule. Anyone expecting 11 wins and a NY6 bowl probably wasn't being honest with themselves.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
SBC_packers

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » October 27th, 2019, 8:24 am

tinplater wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:12 am
After all the pre season hype this year, I don't think I can ever recall being more disappointed in the reality of the season. I remember folks on this board seeing an 11-2 record, dominating teams, big bowl opportunities. Any of you recall a season with greater failed expectations? Worse seasons, yes, but greater underachieving?
It’s not even remotely close. You must be too young to be around for the 1966 season. It was my freshman year and I was pumped up and excited. We were ranked in the top 10 in the preseason polls. We were loaded. 18 of our 22 starters played some level of pro ball. I think we were ranked #7.

We lost our first six games (two of them to New Mexico and New Mexico State) and won the last 4. Head Coach Tony Knapp was fired.

This year doesn’t compare.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyUSU78

tinplater

Post by tinplater » October 27th, 2019, 8:33 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:24 am
tinplater wrote:
It’s not even remotely close. You must be too young to be around for the 1966 season. It was my freshman year and I was pumped up and excited. We were ranked in the top 10 in the preseason polls. We were loaded. 18 of our 22 starters played some level of pro ball. I think we were ranked #7.

We lost our first six games (two of them to New Mexico and New Mexico State) and won the last 4. Head Coach Tony Knapp was fired.

Not too young...too old I guess. I was in NYC at the time and didn't follow USU. I was at USU for the great Ralston years (graduated 65). Hopefully this season will be more than 4 wins, but it looks in doubt to me. I will be at the New Mexico game to conclude the season, bowl game looks doubtful to me.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » October 27th, 2019, 8:42 am

This is a huge stretch. Nobody had us winning at LSU. The wake forest game should have been won, but most thought it was a toss up beforehand. Air Force we got humiliated, but before the season started I don’t think most thought any air force game on the road was a sure thing.

We beat a good San Diego st team on the road, Colorado state and Nevada at home and we are 3-1 and 4-3 overall.

I think the offensive performance had been disappointing for sure. I was expecting a much better offense. But the record is about were I thought it could be at this point in the season.

Did everyone forget we lost an NFL running back and TE, 4 offensive lineman, and our best two or three receivers? I think anyone with a reasonable mind could see the offense wasn’t going to be as good, although the drop has been too much for sure
Last edited by Chatman on October 27th, 2019, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post:
dyedblue

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 27th, 2019, 8:42 am

No. Not most disappointing season ever (yet). But that very well could have been the most disappointing game I can remember in a very long time. Just embarrassing.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
JSHarvey

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » October 27th, 2019, 9:15 am

tinplater wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:33 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 8:24 am
tinplater wrote:

Not too young...too old I guess. I was in NYC at the time and didn't follow USU. I was at USU for the great Ralston years (graduated 65). Hopefully this season will be more than 4 wins, but it looks in doubt to me. I will be at the New Mexico game to conclude the season, bowl game looks doubtful to me.
You mean someone is older than me on this board?We need to do lunch .

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 27th, 2019, 9:34 am

I had us winning 8 games. We're right on track. We can't run this offense without tall WRs on the outside or without an Offensive line.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 27th, 2019, 9:37 am

One season that was really a letdown for me was 2015 after we dismantled Fresno and Boise and then just crapped the bed the rest of the year. I expected so much out of that year.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » October 27th, 2019, 9:39 am

For me who is in the older dirt category, one of the most disappointing season was 1978! I believe we had Eric Hipple, we should have been at least 9-2. We ended up 7-4, but the killer was getting killed by Weber State at home 45 to 24! It was the first time my Ole Pop had ever bought season football tickets. He had them for basketball for years and years. I remember him saying good hell, losing to Weber Junior college at home! I believe that year we lost to Long Beach State, one of their last few years of having football!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 27th, 2019, 10:06 am

Between what we lost, breaking in a new coaching staff, and the greatly increased schedule difficulty, a reasonable pre-season expectation was somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4. We are on track for that.

Our schedule was soooo weak last year. People forget that. We already have a better win (SDSU) than any we got last year.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieaceofspadeskbBustaMcNutt

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 27th, 2019, 10:14 am

Given that our new coach “built” the program that he took over.

We returned a Heisman candidate at QB, our running back, two to receivers, and a very good running back.

On defense we returned most of our key pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 27th, 2019, 10:19 am

We've lost 3 games to 3 very good teams, nothing to be ashamed of. We are not as good as last year, but as has been pointed out, last years schedule was a lot easier than this one. I predicted 8-4 at the beginning of the year and we still have a chance at that. That said, we don't figure it out quickly, we'll only win 1 more game.

All in all, we're kind of where I expected it's to be right now record wise. I had us losing to SDSU instead, but the record is the same. No need to burn the whole thing down just yet, this is by far not the most disappointing season ever
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
AggieUprising50

Go Aggies!

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 27th, 2019, 11:02 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 10:06 am
Between what we lost, breaking in a new coaching staff, and the greatly increased schedule difficulty, a reasonable pre-season expectation was somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4. We are on track for that.

Our schedule was soooo weak last year. People forget that. We already have a better win (SDSU) than any we got last year.
I'm not so sure SDSU is that good this year. Yes, I know they have a good record, but they have barely beat some average to bad teams, including a nail biter to perennial basement dweller UNLV last night.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 27th, 2019, 11:05 am

AgMac wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 11:02 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

I'm not so sure SDSU is that good this year. Yes, I know they have a good record, but they have barely beat some average to bad teams, including a nail biter to perennial basement dweller UNLV last night.
That may be fair. Who of any note did we beat last year though that may be comparable? BYU? North Texas?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 27th, 2019, 12:01 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 11:05 am
AgMac wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 11:02 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

That may be fair. Who of any note did we beat last year though that may be comparable? BYU? North Texas?
A nail biting win is better than getting your a$$ kicked in a loss.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » October 28th, 2019, 9:33 am

tinplater wrote:
11-2 would have been an outstanding season for the schedule we had this year, and I think that was the general consensus. Most people had us at between 6-6 (pessimistic) and 8-4 (optimistic). There were concerns at WR, OL, and DB at the beginning of the season, which have been problems our bigger games. I have been good with everything so far this season, but I didn't watch much of the LSU game and had to shut off the AF game. It was hard to watch AF get so many yards on the friggin dive play almost every single time. I started having flashbacks of the old Nevada games, where we had the same problem, and if you can't stop that they are going to run all over you. I'm hoping we get it together for this weekend.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 28th, 2019, 10:00 am

What a ridiculous post. Experts and board members were bearish on this team. If we win 3 of our next 5 (tall order after Saturday), we are about where we thought we would be. I think there are some things to be concerned about, but I don't think this even ranks highly in the "Most Disappointing Season Ever" category unless you have been a fan for two seasons.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
AggieUprising50

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 28th, 2019, 10:57 am

2015 was by far the most disappointing season I've ever seen.

We had so much NFL talent (Mays, Sharp, Fack, Little Vig, Jalen Davis, Marwin Evans) along with a Senior qb, and we couldn't even produce a winning record.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
ViAggie

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » October 28th, 2019, 12:40 pm

No and it's not even close. Who honestly thought we would win 11 games??? We played cupcakes last year and lost 75% of our receiving production, 50% of our running production, basically our entire O line(biggest problem imo) and our top tight end.

I think our D is better, exposed on Saturday, but better overall from last year despite our offense lacking any kind of identity and placing the D in bad situation after bad situation.

Still hoping for 8 wins but 7 seems more realistic. Let's start by getting a W this week. Go Aggies!

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » October 28th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Perspective: we've played a really tough schedule and we've lost to good teams, all on the road.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » October 28th, 2019, 4:19 pm

I'm sticking with my original assessment at the beginning of the year:
AgMan21 wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 2:27 pm

Right now, with the unknowns we have going in, I (personally) think that eight wins will be a successful season. I don't think seven wins would be a success, but I would not be crestfallen if that happened. Six or less and I would suffer varying degrees of disappointment.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 28th, 2019, 6:07 pm

People who see this season as disappointing have a problem with unrealistic expectations. In other words, if you're disappointed, it's a YOU problem, not a USU problem.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
AggieUprising50NVAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic