Starts with the run game

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
letsbehonest
Has thanked: 0

Starts with the run game

Post by letsbehonest » October 26th, 2019, 11:37 pm

A ton of fingers pointed at Love, receivers, play calling, etc.

To me it all comes down to the run game. It’s killing the offense. Especially when so much of the passing is built off of play action.

Aggie84025

Re: Starts with the run game

Post by Aggie84025 » October 26th, 2019, 11:41 pm

It seems like there is zero creativity. We can't run the ball up the middle especially with Bright who is more an outside runner. You very rarely misdirection or anything.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 26th, 2019, 11:43 pm

You are right. It all starts in the trenches...

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 26th, 2019, 11:52 pm

8 carries by our backs is not enough. If we suck so bad at blocking then let’s try the edge or even some reverses or sweeps with Nathan, Thomkins, and Scarver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 27th, 2019, 12:12 am

I don't understand how we don't try to kick start things by getting the ball into our fastest players hands through fly sweeps and such. EVERY other team in the COUNTRY is doing it!!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieUprising50

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 27th, 2019, 12:18 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 12:12 am
I don't understand how we don't try to kick start things by getting the ball into our fastest players hands through fly sweeps and such. EVERY other team in the COUNTRY is doing it!!

[I am pretty sure we have not tried this at all this year. Put it in scarver or thompkins hands on these fly sweeps and it will at least open up the defense for more runs up the middle.]

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 27th, 2019, 12:21 am

While we're at it how about a damn shovel pass??

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » October 27th, 2019, 12:23 am

In my mind there’s a long list of issues on the O side, and JLove is pretty far down that list. Last year he was surgical. He’s proven His cabability to be phenomenal. Sure he may not be exactly what he’s been hyped up in the offseason, and yes last year he had a better OL, TE, WRs, RB, and likely coach. but doesn’t that support that the bigger issues are what’s are what’s around him and less himself?

I’m a huge fan of the kid. And the crap people are giving him kills me. Honestly I think if we added a little creativity with some wrinkles and tried to breathe some life into the Offense I feel like he’d be able to take off again, but it is just so boring and predictable as we pace ourselves into an 18 second 3-and-out. And then the few things that do work are dropped 50% of the time.

It may be time to just throw out Yost’s offense because it clearly needs to have him coaching it to work. Sanford was phenomenal at Boise, why not just hit the reset and start fresh there because it can’t get much worse at this point.
These users thanked the author Aggs&Jazz12 for the post:
ProvoAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 27th, 2019, 12:27 am

Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 12:23 am
In my mind there’s a long list of issues on the O side, and JLove is pretty far down that list. Last year he was surgical. He’s proven His cabability to be phenomenal. Sure he may not be exactly what he’s been hyped up in the offseason, and yes last year he had a better OL, TE, WRs, RB, and likely coach. but doesn’t that support that the bigger issues are what’s are what’s around him and less himself?

I’m a huge fan of the kid. And the crap people are giving him kills me. Honestly I think if we added a little creativity with some wrinkles and tried to breathe some life into the Offense I feel like he’d be able to take off again, but it is just so boring and predictable as we pace ourselves into an 18 second 3-and-out. And then the few things that do work are dropped 50% of the time.

It may be time to just throw out Yost’s offense because it clearly needs to have him coaching it to work. Sanford was phenomenal at Boise, why not just hit the reset and start fresh there because it can’t get much worse at this point.

[When we are breaking bad offensive records set by the Guy area you know things are bad. It was frustrating to watch some the offenses with Meyers at the helm, but this year has been really painful to watch from an offensive stand point for most of they year.]

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 27th, 2019, 1:25 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 27th, 2019, 12:12 am
+1000. There is no misdirection or creativity. Nothing to freeze the lbs and safeties. Nothing to slow down the rushers off the edge. Sanford has not called a run play aside from inside zone al year from what I can see.

I really think he is just uncomfortable with the formation and RPO itself and just doesn't know how he can utilize his weapons. And Scarver and Tompkins are huge weapons and Nathan is a very dangerous slot receiver too.

I cant see downfield but it seems like we've abandoned the Te and especially Terrell. Probably because they are pass blocking more and lbs are not being frozen.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 27th, 2019, 10:09 am

Here is why we got beat, it starts with the defense you must stop the dive our front seven got pushed all over the field, if you can not stop that then you need to adjust which opens the sweep and pitch. We did not come close to even slowing down the dive, game is over when you get beat upfront like that.

On O you must stay on the field, you can not have 3 and outs because they can control the clock with the kind of offense they run. We got beat in the trench's .

You must be able to win up front in football in order to win he got our azz kicked bad.

This team does not need a change in play calling they need to man up.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
AngusAg

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 27th, 2019, 10:21 am

Our defense started the game with two turnovers. Against Air Force that is huge and those are game changing plays because Air Force doesn’t make those kind of mistakes very often and running 6 plays for 4 yards set the tone for the rest of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
ProvoAggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Locked Previous topicNext topic