Love not the only quarterback to struggle with Hype

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Love not the only quarterback to struggle with Hype

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 19th, 2019, 10:50 am

Clemson's Trevor Lawrence just threw his seventh interception of the season after only throwing four all season last year. The latest pick happened at the goal line with the Louisville safety reading him the whole way, which sounds familiar.

On making this post, I plead guilty to plagiarism of ESPN Senior Staff writer Chris Low.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Love not the only quarterback to struggle with Hype

Post by brownjeans » October 19th, 2019, 11:10 am

The hype isn't what's causing love trouble.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 19th, 2019, 11:10 am

Tua also not tearing it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 19th, 2019, 11:22 am

Many things go into football success outside of the quarter back, like the O line, running backs, receivers etc. The O line is very young, running backs we need Warren back asap, receivers Mariner is the closest to a possession receiver we have, we miss Tarver a bunch, the rest are short and can not high point passes, Repp may fit the bill. Thank the lord that coach brought in Mariner, Warren, Repp.

Honestly the Offense is not nearly physically tough enough. Last season we had a veteran Oline, receivers like Tarver, Green, and a NFL draft pick at running back. Big difference.
Last edited by oleblu111 on October 19th, 2019, 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 19th, 2019, 11:25 am

Hard facts — I love me some Love, but he is struggling a lot more than Lawrence and Tua and against overall worse competition, but granted, with a much worse supporting cast than those two.

The only game Jordan has even looked decent in was Wake.

He should have a breakout game against Nevada. Their pass D is atrocious.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 19th, 2019, 11:41 am

Though Jordan was never really in the conversation. The struggles of some of the other QBs mentioned in this thread only pave the way for Jalen Hurts to claim the Heisman this year.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 19th, 2019, 11:46 am

I think Joe Burrow deserves it as of right now.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 19th, 2019, 11:52 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 11:25 am
Hard facts — I love me some Love, but he is struggling a lot more than Lawrence and Tua and against overall worse competition, but granted, with a much worse supporting cast than those two.

The only game Jordan has even looked decent in was Wake.

He should have a breakout game against Nevada. Their pass D is atrocious.
I thought Jordan played well against SDSU. He took care of the ball against a really good defense.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
frankiesaysrelax

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 19th, 2019, 11:55 am

Before the year I said that we’d miss Tarver and that our defense was going to win us games.

I’m not worried about Jordan at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes off the rest of the year and puts his doubters to rest. And even if he doesn’t throw 5 TD’s a game I have no doubt he’ll play well enough to help us win.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
oleblu111

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » October 19th, 2019, 12:32 pm

You can add Jake Fromm to list of elite QBS struggling this year. In actuality despite decent numbers Jordan’s game against Wake was a red alert for scouts. As on poster mentioned the San Diego State game was much better for him. Tonight will be interesting if the weather is poor. He has to dispel the notion that he can’t play in adverse inclement conditions.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » October 19th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Lawrence, Tua, and Fromm don’t have many excuses for poor play. They have great supporting cast and great weather. They do play harder competition, but they are like the Utah State and Boise of their conference, so they have many easy games as well. Love is playing with little supporting cast compared to big time schools and poor weather (when at home). Not saying Love is better or those guys are under performing, but I see why Love is still getting some “Love,” especially from a draft perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
oleblu111

1TruAggie

Post by 1TruAggie » October 19th, 2019, 3:56 pm

New play-caller, offensive staff, less experienced and less physical offensive line and injuries to skill players, lots of drops (Repp’s sure TD last week, Scarver two drops per game). Tough to overcome.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 19th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Tua is struggling? If 27 tds and 1 pick is struggling at this point if the season then I don’t know what success is.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 19th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 11:10 am
Tua also not tearing it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tua from Alabama?
He has 27 td's vs 1 int and over 2000 yards already. I don't think that is struggling.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 19th, 2019, 5:19 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 2:02 pm
Lawrence, Tua, and Fromm don’t have many excuses for poor play. They have great supporting cast and great weather. They do play harder competition, but they are like the Utah State and Boise of their conference, so they have many easy games as well. Love is playing with little supporting cast compared to big time schools and poor weather (when at home). Not saying Love is better or those guys are under performing, but I see why Love is still getting some “Love,” especially from a draft perspective.

Tua from Alabama has 27 td's/1 int and 2000 yards passing. Lawrence still has a 14/8 td int ratio.

Yes these guys have better talent around them but they are also playing against better talent.

USU plays teams with similar talent levels just as Alabama and Clemson do.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 19th, 2019, 6:49 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 5:19 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:

Tua from Alabama has 27 td's/1 int and 2000 yards passing. Lawrence still has a 14/8 td int ratio.

Yes these guys have better talent around them but they are also playing against better talent.

This is untrue at this point in the season. Out of Love’s 8 interceptions 3 were against Wake & 3 vs LSU. It is clearly caused by an inexperienced offensive line and a receiving corps that can be streaky at times.

We have played 5 games, 40% of which are against teams from higher rated conferences than our own. When we play ooc it’s mostly against teams at or above our level.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 19th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 6:49 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

This is untrue at this point in the season. Out of Love’s 8 interceptions 3 were against Wake & 3 vs LSU. It is clearly caused by an inexperienced offensive line and a receiving corps that can be streaky at times.

We have played 5 games, 40% of which are against teams from higher rated conferences than our own. When we play ooc it’s mostly against teams at or above our level.
And 20% against a far inferior school.

Love's interceptions against Wake weren't caused by defensive pressure forcing errant throws or receivers running wrong routes. He made two very poor throws and one poor throw combined with a poor read - against a team USU had racked up almost 600 yards of offense no less. We were clearly an even matched opponent.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 19th, 2019, 8:17 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 7:47 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 6:49 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

And 20% against a far inferior school.

Love's interceptions against Wake weren't caused by defensive pressure forcing errant throws or receivers running wrong routes. He made two very poor throws and one poor throw combined with a poor read - against a team USU had racked up almost 600 yards of offense no less. We were clearly an even matched opponent.
Interception #3 Love had quite a bit of pressure that entire drive. Much of that pressure happened right in front of me. He was rolling out and from what I remember it was that same play to Mariner that caused a pick vs. CSU. One of the other picks the DB just read the play and made a play.

The lack of TDs is more concerning to me.. The game vs. SDSU is more concerning despite no picks- because we aren't scoring in the air.

And, although we did play 1 game against a far inferior opponent, Love did not play the entire game. Other teams are also playing FCS teams. In addition, your argument was that we all play teams that are similar to skill, but when 40% of our games are on the road against higher rated conferences, I don't think we can say we play skill levels that match ours. USUs sample size is too small to get there right now. That 40% has 75% of our picks right now.

Locked Previous topicNext topic