Offensive Line

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgMac

Offensive Line

Post by AgMac » October 7th, 2019, 3:26 pm

I honestly felt like they held their own on Saturday. Not perfect, by any means. But I don't recall Love getting sacked or knocked down too many times. I think they gave him sufficient time to complete passes. Our receivers just weren't open for the most part.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
aggies22

AggieFBObsession

Re: Offensive Line

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 7th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Well, ok, but how poorly we ran the ball I don't think I can agree.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 7th, 2019, 4:56 pm

They held tough considering all how deep we had to reach to keep an O line on the field.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 7th, 2019, 5:04 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 4:52 pm
You have a point. I guess I was focusing on pass protection. We really couldn't run the ball at all. I think we had 28 yards on 25 carries. Which begs the question, should we have attempted to run it 25 times?

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 7th, 2019, 5:12 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 5:04 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
You have a point. I guess I was focusing on pass protection. We really couldn't run the ball at all. I think we had 28 yards on 25 carries. Which begs the question, should we have attempted to run it 25 times?
As an offensive coordinator you try to mix pass and run plays and short yardage and long yardage plays to keep a defense honest. Even in the run and shoot.

We'd throw a screen and our piss poor blocking and LSUs team speed would blow those plays up. We'd run north and south and go nowhere. We'd run east and west and go nowhere because of bad blocking on the edges and their team speed.

What would you do at that point besides throw hail Marys? At some point you're putting JL in very unsafe blocking situations because the defense is pinning their ears back and running a full steam ahead pass rush while not worrying about anything else. You have to mix up the plays.

Then later in the game when the score is out of hand and your kids are injured you just want it to end.

We got our a$s handed back to us on a platter.

.... Then you have your QB trying to do too much because he sees everything happening that I just mentioned....

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 7th, 2019, 5:29 pm

PS to those thinking that we should pass more deep balls in games like this, I would compare it to basketball. You're down by 20 points at the half and your game plan becomes to shoot threes, to make up the difference, with a hand in your face most of the time because you don't have the speed or quickness to get separation. Unless you have the best three point shooters in the history of Aggie athletics, it's not a good game plan against the Dukes of college football.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 7th, 2019, 5:46 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 5:12 pm
AgMac wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 5:04 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
As an offensive coordinator you try to mix pass and run plays and short yardage and long yardage plays to keep a defense honest. Even in the run and shoot.

We'd throw a screen and our piss poor blocking and LSUs team speed would blow those plays up. We'd run north and south and go nowhere. We'd run east and west and go nowhere because of bad blocking on the edges and their team speed.

What would you do at that point besides throw hail Marys? At some point you're putting JL in very unsafe blocking situations because the defense is pinning their ears back and running a full steam ahead pass rush while not worrying about anything else. You have to mix up the plays.

Then later in the game when the score is out of hand and your kids are injured you just want it to end.

We got our a$s handed back to us on a platter.

.... Then you have your QB trying to do too much because he sees everything happening that I just mentioned....
I think we had a decent amount of success throwing quick, short, vertical passes. I understand that we have to mix it up a bit, but I think we should have gone to that well a bit more. For the most part, it takes their speed advantage out of play. They could close immediately on the horizontal passes, and could recover well on the deep ball even if we had a step. But speed is not as big of a factor if our receivers are sprinting 7 yards and turning for the ball.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 7th, 2019, 5:50 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 5:46 pm

I think we had a decent amount of success throwing quick, short, vertical passes. I understand that we have to mix it up a bit, but I think we should have gone to that well a bit more. For the most part, it takes their speed advantage out of play. They could close immediately on the horizontal passes, and could recover well on the deep ball even if we had a step. But speed is not as big of a factor if our receivers are sprinting 7 yards and turning for the ball.
I'm sure if you have the ints in mind from the CSU game then you can probably relate to why the coaches didn't run those types of plays in the LSU game against some of the best DBs in the country two or three of whom will be NFL draft picks at least.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 7th, 2019, 6:06 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 5:50 pm
AgMac wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 5:46 pm

I'm sure if you have the ints in mind from the CSU game then you can probably relate to why the coaches didn't run those types of plays in the LSU game against some of the best DBs in the country two or three of whom will be NFL draft picks at least.
I'm not talking about the slow-developing, field side out routes. I'm talking about the 5-7 yard quick slants and curls. Those routes are much harder to jump (admittedly not impossible). I get that your intent is to argue with anything I post on this issue, but we did, in fact, run them against LSU and had some success.

sdiggety

Post by sdiggety » October 7th, 2019, 7:33 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 3:26 pm
I honestly felt like they held their own on Saturday. Not perfect, by any means. But I don't recall Love getting sacked or knocked down too many times. I think they gave him sufficient time to complete passes. Our receivers just weren't open for the most part.
Seriously. These kids were not supposed to be good and everyone expected that. Although Love doesn't have enough time, you don't see any horrible sacks or anything. Look at the injuries, these guys are playing with heart and are playing better than everyone thought they were supposed to. Some of these guys might be special as upperclassmen.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 7th, 2019, 8:22 pm

sdiggety wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 7:33 pm
AgMac wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 3:26 pm
Seriously. These kids were not supposed to be good and everyone expected that. Although Love doesn't have enough time, you don't see any horrible sacks or anything. Look at the injuries, these guys are playing with heart and are playing better than everyone thought they were supposed to. Some of these guys might be special as upperclassmen.
This I can agree with. The future is very bright for them.

Locked Previous topicNext topic