Punting

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2688
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 153 times

Punting

Post by AgMac » October 7th, 2019, 3:19 pm

During the LSU game, I questioned whether we were the worst yards per punt team in the nation.

Nope. We're tied for 123 out of 130. How does this happen to us year after year? Such a pivotal position. So little attention from the Aggies.

There honestly have to be at least a dozen Utah high school punters averaging more than 37.4 yards per punt.
Last edited by AgMac on October 7th, 2019, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.



NVAggie
Posts: 15941
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 604 times
Been liked: 536 times

Re: Punting

Post by NVAggie » October 7th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Does anyone have stats for punts inside the 20? Callister's stats say he hasn't pinned any inside the 20. I don't think that has affected his poor performance.



ususports
Posts: 1120
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 139 times

Re: Punting

Post by ususports » October 7th, 2019, 4:10 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 3:19 pm
During the LSU game, I questioned whether we were the worst yards per punt team in the nation.

Nope. We're tied for 123 out of 130. How does this happen to us year after year? Such a pivotal position. So little attention from the Aggies.

There honestly have to be at least a dozen Utah high school punters averaging more than 37.4 yards per punt.
Didn't we recently get a commitment from a highly rated punter, and people on this board were "underwhelmed." If that is the case, the coaching staff just can't please anyone on here.
These users liked this post from ususports. Total Likes: 4
hipsterdoofus21Usu0505flying_scotsman2.0sneed



NVAggie
Posts: 15941
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has liked: 604 times
Been liked: 536 times

Re: Punting

Post by NVAggie » October 7th, 2019, 4:30 pm

ususports wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 4:10 pm
AgMac wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 3:19 pm
During the LSU game, I questioned whether we were the worst yards per punt team in the nation.

Nope. We're tied for 123 out of 130. How does this happen to us year after year? Such a pivotal position. So little attention from the Aggies.

There honestly have to be at least a dozen Utah high school punters averaging more than 37.4 yards per punt.
Didn't we recently get a commitment from a highly rated punter, and people on this board were "underwhelmed." If that is the case, the coaching staff just can't please anyone on here.
I'm pretty sure I was one that joked around about the punter commit. I rescind my snarky behavior. We need a good punter, kicker, etc.



trevordude
Posts: 708
Joined: August 25th, 2012, 10:38 am
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Punting

Post by trevordude » October 7th, 2019, 6:45 pm

LSU punting wasn't good, but look at our game vs CSU. It was great.


Not sent from Tapatalk

aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion & 2019 Weekly Pick'em Winner
Posts: 7761
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 1263 times
Contact:

Re: Punting

Post by aggies22 » October 7th, 2019, 7:49 pm

Callister was a true freshman punting in front of more people than who he probably played in front of his entire high career combined. Perhaps the moment was a little too big for him.
These users liked this post from aggies22:
NavyBlueAggie



User avatar
frankiesaysrelax
Posts: 283
Joined: August 15th, 2014, 8:15 pm
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 72 times

Re: Punting

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 7th, 2019, 10:59 pm

I do remember him pinning LSU inside the 5 on one punt.
These users liked this post from frankiesaysrelax:
flying_scotsman2.0



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15116
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 434 times

Re: Punting

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 7th, 2019, 11:04 pm

If I had been punting with those SEC monsters rushing at me I wouldn’t have taken much time to boom a punt either.



User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 2327
Joined: August 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Location: Smithfield
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Punting

Post by BLUERUFiO » October 8th, 2019, 6:41 am

I would have boomed in my pants.
These users liked this post from BLUERUFiO. Total Likes: 2
aggies22hipsterdoofus21


GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

User avatar
AGinNEIowa
2015, 2016, & 2017 WTHCG Pick'em Champion
Posts: 6113
Joined: January 10th, 2003, 12:00 am
Location: northeast Iowa
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Punting

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 8th, 2019, 8:44 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 10:59 pm
I do remember him pinning LSU inside the 5 on one punt.
he had one (47 yard punt) downed at the 4 - leading into the LSU series with the Haney pick - he also had fair catches at the 17 and 20. that's 3 pinned inside the 20. He also had one fair caught at the 25.
These users liked this post from AGinNEIowa. Total Likes: 3
hipsterdoofus21NavyBlueAggiedonlarson8


Enter your Picks on GOOGLE DOCS
BOWLS Entry Sheet

WEEK 15 Entry with results

WEEKLY & WTHCG Standings Congrats to winners - Aggies22 Weekly, bigblue WTHCG

KICKOFF Standings & Summary Congrats to winner - NHAGGIE!

ususports
Posts: 1120
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 139 times

Re: Punting

Post by ususports » October 8th, 2019, 8:49 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 8:44 am
he had one (47 yard punt) downed at the 4
To be fair, that punt was probably only 30 yards in the air, and was too short for the returner to actually field the punt, so it rolled the other 17 yards to the 4 yard line. It certainly worked out in our favor, but I wouldn't say it was a strategically skilled kick.



tipitup
2018 WTHCG Pick'em Champion
Posts: 385
Joined: December 17th, 2013, 8:17 am
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Punting

Post by tipitup » October 8th, 2019, 9:25 am

ususports wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 8:49 am
AGinNEIowa wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 8:44 am
he had one (47 yard punt) downed at the 4
To be fair, that punt was probably only 30 yards in the air, and was too short for the returner to actually field the punt, so it rolled the other 17 yards to the 4 yard line. It certainly worked out in our favor, but I wouldn't say it was a strategically skilled kick.
what is a stategically skilled kick if he can't down it inside the 10. with the rugby style kick they want it to be short and keep bouncing/rolling as far as possible. no possibility for a return. unless i don't understand the philosophy of a rugby kick.

i thought he did fine. no shanks, pinned them inside the 20. Statistics only go so far with punters.



ususports
Posts: 1120
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 139 times

Re: Punting

Post by ususports » October 8th, 2019, 9:30 am

tipitup wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 9:25 am
what is a stategically skilled kick
When you feel the kicker could do it repeatedly and consistently. It was definitely a great kick, but if he tried to make that kick ten times, I have my doubts that he would get that same result much more than the one time out of ten.



NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 1852
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: Punting

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 12th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Probably the sample size to evaluate the punting was way too small. The season takes time to sort these things out.



donlarson8
Posts: 1625
Joined: December 7th, 2013, 6:04 pm
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Has liked: 563 times
Been liked: 19 times

Re: Punting

Post by donlarson8 » October 13th, 2019, 9:13 pm

ususports wrote:
AGinNEIowa wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 8:44 am
he had one (47 yard punt) downed at the 4
To be fair, that punt was probably only 30 yards in the air, and was too short for the returner to actually field the punt, so it rolled the other 17 yards to the 4 yard line. It certainly worked out in our favor, but I wouldn't say it was a strategically skilled kick.
If a punt is downed at the 4 yard line it’s a great punt. Doesn’t matter how long it is. Average length of punt is probably one of the top five most useless stats in football.



LKGates
Posts: 3266
Joined: December 13th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 195 times
Contact:

Re: Punting

Post by LKGates » October 13th, 2019, 10:20 pm

A great punter is worth his weight in gold. I'd give anything to have Bentrude back. That kid didn't have the biggest leg, but he had an incredible tool kit, and tremendous accuracy. Not to mention the school record for yards per carry.

Another seriously undervalued position is long snapper. You only notice them when they're bad.


Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7601
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 324 times

Re: Punting

Post by dyedblue » October 13th, 2019, 10:59 pm

I’m still convinced that the punter cost us the Boise game last year


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion & 2019 Weekly Pick'em Winner
Posts: 7761
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 1263 times
Contact:

Re: Punting

Post by aggies22 » October 14th, 2019, 5:57 am

LKGates wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 10:20 pm
A great punter is worth his weight in gold. I'd give anything to have Bentrude back. That kid didn't have the biggest leg, but he had an incredible tool kit, and tremendous accuracy. Not to mention the school record for yards per carry.

Another seriously undervalued position is long snapper. You only notice them when they're bad.
Very true, we've had a pretty successful run of long snappers.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic