Love

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sl7vk

Re: Love

Post by Sl7vk » October 5th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Transferring would be a very risky play for love.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 5th, 2019, 5:02 pm

The problem with Love is that he is no threat to take off and run it. That is what made Chuckie the better college qb and allowed us to compete in the big p5 games during his tenure. Even when none of our receivers could get open, Chuckie could scramble and get good chunks of yards.

When receivers aren't open for Love, he still tries to force it in instead of running. That's why he has 6 TDs and 8 interceptions. Running is simply not in Love's arsenal.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » October 5th, 2019, 5:04 pm

LSUBAW18 wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 12:38 pm
That's not why I would take him out
Our back up is more mobile than Love, but mainly I would not want to risk injury.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 5th, 2019, 5:09 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 5:02 pm
The problem with Love is that he is no threat to take off and run it. That is what made Chuckie the better college qb and allowed us to compete in the big p5 games during his tenure. Even when none of our receivers could get open, Chuckie could scramble and get good chunks of yards.

When receivers aren't open for Love, he still tries to force it in instead of running. That's why he has 6 TDs and 8 interceptions. Running is simply not in Love's arsenal.
He made plenty of plays with his arm against Mich St last year and Wake this year. I think it boils down to the Oline (the freaking snaps) and the receivers. We were stacked in both areas last year and had just enough health in the Oline this year at Wake to be in the game.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
JSHarvey

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 5th, 2019, 5:17 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 5:09 pm
AgMac wrote:

He made plenty of plays with his arm against Mich St last year and Wake this year. I think it boils down to the Oline (the freaking snaps) and the receivers. We were stacked in both areas last year and had just enough health in the Oline this year at Wake to be in the game.
That's exactly my point. His receivers can't get open against the likes of LSU. In those situations, Chuckie could make a play with his legs. Love can't, so he tries to force it instead.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 5th, 2019, 5:58 pm

After thinking about it for a bit and watching some of the highlights, I feel like by the end of the game Love was doing all he could to get us back in the game. He was more willing to take the risky throws or try to fit some into tight coverage.

Even though these lead to two int’s I get where he’s coming from. Elite QB’s take those chances, and given that the run game wasn’t working and are receivers weren’t getting as much separation as they usually, I don’t mind him taking those chances.

I think it will pay off later in the year and help him become a better Pro.

I still believe!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 5th, 2019, 6:00 pm

I’m not going to pile on Love, he is very good but he has made some poor throws and has to be able to catch a snap that hits his hands. Our play calling has been awful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 5th, 2019, 6:10 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 5:17 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AgMac wrote:

That's exactly my point. His receivers can't get open against the likes of LSU. In those situations, Chuckie could make a play with his legs. Love can't, so he tries to force it instead.
I see your point. I’d prefer we not have him risk injury though. In the end Chuckie only played 2/4 seasons.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 5th, 2019, 6:19 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 6:10 pm
AgMac wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 5:17 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AgMac wrote:

I see your point. I’d prefer we not have him risk injury though. In the end Chuckie only played 2/4 seasons.
Chuckie was great and fun to watch but to say he was better QB? The guy was so inaccurate and he couldn’t throw a deep ball. Love will be money the rest of the year. Unless we play in another monsoon. The defenses we face won’t be as good. I do think not having Quin Ficklen at center is a huge reason this offense isn’t clicking as much. That guy was a leader and played a crucial part in our success.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
JSHarvey

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 5th, 2019, 6:22 pm

AgMac wrote:

He threw for more yards against Michigan State last year than Haskins did and helped us put up more points on a very good defense than anybody else they played all year. Threw for over 400 against Wake.
This loss is not on Love. It was just an overmatched opponent. Trade 2012 Chuckie for Love, we don't win this game.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
JSHarvey

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » October 5th, 2019, 6:27 pm

It's hard to tell watching on TV but Love seems to lock in on one guy. Maybe the other guys can't get open or he doesn't have time to go through progressions. I thought Nathan and Thompkins would be a much bigger part of the offense. Need a way to get them the ball more. Scarver seems to only be good at GO routes. If the ball is up for grabs at all, he isn't getting it.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 5th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Jordan is an NFL talent, but he’s always made dangerous throws. We just had the guys last year to catch those 50/50 balls.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 5th, 2019, 6:43 pm

TrueAG wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 6:27 pm
It's hard to tell watching on TV but Love seems to lock in on one guy. Maybe the other guys can't get open or he doesn't have time to go through progressions. I thought Nathan and Thompkins would be a much bigger part of the offense. Need a way to get them the ball more. Scarver seems to only be good at GO routes. If the ball is up for grabs at all, he isn't getting it.
Scarver treated that first ball that was intercepted like he didn’t want to offend anyone or be a bother. He knew it was underthrown and should’ve stopped and cut in front of the DB or at very least not allowed him to catch it.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
sdiggety

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 5th, 2019, 6:50 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 6:43 pm
TrueAG wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Scarver treated that first ball that was intercepted like he didn’t want to offend anyone or be a bother. He knew it was underthrown and should’ve stopped and cut in front of the DB or at very least not allowed him to catch it.
I just think he thought he had the dude beat and the ball was coming to him. That was one of the best plays a corner has made all year long. No way anyone in MWC makes that pick.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 5th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 6:22 pm
AgMac wrote:

He threw for more yards against Michigan State last year than Haskins did and helped us put up more points on a very good defense than anybody else they played all year. Threw for over 400 against Wake.
This loss is not on Love. It was just an overmatched opponent. Trade 2012 Chuckie for Love, we don't win this game.
I didn't say we would win this game with Chuckie. But we would have had more offense. My point was that when our receivers absolutely can't get open, Love is no threat to take off running and turn nothing into something. Chuckie was. IMO, Chuckie may have been the lesser passer, but he was the better college QB.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 5th, 2019, 8:06 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 8:00 pm
AgMac wrote:

I didn't say we would win this game with Chuckie. But we would have had more offense. My point was that when our receivers absolutely can't get open, Love is no threat to take off running and turn nothing into something. Chuckie was. IMO, Chuckie may have been the lesser passer, but he was the better college QB.
Ehh but was he though? I think that is pretty debatable. Being able to escape pressure doesn’t make you a good quarterback. Plus Jordan has a better line he can trust and coaches don’t really want him out of the pocket. Also the best play we had today was when Love avoided pressure and hit mariner down field. Just because love isn’t as shifty doesn’t mean he can’t avoid pressure. That is actually one of his strengths

sdiggety

Post by sdiggety » October 5th, 2019, 9:09 pm

AgMac wrote:
AgMac wrote:

Every QB doesn't have to be a scrambler type. Love is a pocket passer type. Scramblers are fun but don't stay healthy. Love may be one of the best pocket passers there is- he just requires a pocket that gives more than half a second to make a play. His version of scrambling is the oline giving him some more time or him rolling off to the side if the pocket collapses and keeping his eyes down the field and make a pass- often a deep pass in his case. That's what the scramble drill is about- same idea for different QB type. After all the injuries at the Oline he hasn't been allowed any time to show what he can do.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 5th, 2019, 9:24 pm

sdiggety wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 9:09 pm
AgMac wrote:
AgMac wrote:

Every QB doesn't have to be a scrambler type. Love is a pocket passer type. Scramblers are fun but don't stay healthy. Love may be one of the best pocket passers there is- he just requires a pocket that gives more than half a second to make a play. His version of scrambling is the oline giving him some more time or him rolling off to the side if the pocket collapses and keeping his eyes down the field and make a pass- often a deep pass in his case. That's what the scramble drill is about- same idea for different QB type. After all the injuries at the Oline he hasn't been allowed any time to show what he can do.
I said good day, sir!
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
918AGGOKAggie

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » October 7th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Stop it. Unless Love is graduating this year and doesn't have to sit out a year there is no way that we would transfer, sit out a year, play a year somewhere else then go to the NFL. NFL scouts will evaluate his arm, decision-making and ability as a quarterback, not the talent around him. Why would he delay going to the NFL by at least a year and maybe two and not get drafted any higher than he would going this year????? Just stop it.

aggiebydefault
Has thanked: 0

Post by aggiebydefault » October 7th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Pretty sure I heard Love say in an interview that he already has one degree and is working on another. Iirr Josh Allen didn't have all that great of a season his last year, didn't seem to affect what scouts thought they saw in him.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 7th, 2019, 5:21 pm

AgMac wrote:

Can I have some of what you're smoking please? :headscratch:
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
sneed

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 7th, 2019, 6:14 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 5:21 pm
AgMac wrote:

I'm not sure to which part you take exception. If it was that Chuckie was the better college QB, certainly that's just an opinion. But if you're disagreeing with what I've said about CK's scrambing vs. JL's scrambling, then we're living on different planets. If nothing was there for Chuckie, he was very effective at scrambling and getting something. That is simply not part of Love's game.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 7th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Chuckie when it came to scrambling was far too often running backwards when he just needed to throw it away or take the sack.

JL on the other hand takes the sack, throws it away or just runs forward.

I rarely see JL making bad decisions or hesitant decisions unless he's trying to do too much because they're aren't many options left. And when he does it's usually an attempt at an explosive play or a critical first down throw. Chuckie would often make bad decisions randomly and leave me very frustrated.

I'm not frustrated so much with JLs decision making. I just think he's tried to do too much when his team's back was against the wall. The CSU game this year was a bit of an outlier in that the Aggies weren't outmatched and he just made some boneheaded plays. The LSU game and Wake Forest game seemed to be JL wanting to do something that no good college QB should be trying to do. Heisman, NFL hype driven decisions, maybe.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 7th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 12:50 pm
He’s definitely struggled this year but the offense as a whole looks broken.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, the offense looks inept, and at times not even inept.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 7th, 2019, 9:28 pm

I watched highlights of the game. The three picks against LSU were on Love. He was trying to make something happen, which I can respect, but they were under thrown and or late.

I still don’t blame him for inept offense. I blame Sanford. He is paid to make it happen.

letsbehonest
Has thanked: 0

Post by letsbehonest » October 7th, 2019, 10:15 pm

Love will finish the year with 35 tds and 11 picks
These users thanked the author letsbehonest for the post (total 2):
frankiesaysrelaxChicAggie

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 7th, 2019, 10:51 pm

NVAggie wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 9:28 pm
I watched highlights of the game. The three picks against LSU were on Love. He was trying to make something happen, which I can respect, but they were under thrown and or late.

I still don’t blame him for inept offense. I blame Sanford. He is paid to make it happen.
Do you recall if he was under pressure with those picks?

Go Aggies!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 9th, 2019, 8:43 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 6:39 pm
Jordan is an NFL talent, but he’s always made dangerous throws. We just had the guys last year to catch those 50/50 balls.
I love having Love as our QB, but to imply that his INTs this year have been 50/50 balls where our receivers have come out on the losing end is simply wrong.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
NVAggie

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 9th, 2019, 10:06 am

My take: Love is exceptionally talented. Last year he had an o-line that gave him time (maybe 2 to 3 times as much time on the average down as this year's o-line is providing) which allowed him to go through his options and usually find something. He also had receivers that just got free and caught balls most of the time. and he had the option of handing off to solid runners (Bright with CSU this year was similar).

This year he is only getting snaps in the general vicinity (and sometimes not even that), precious little time before the pocket collapses, and he has receivers that just aren't as good as last year.

The result (not surprisingly) is the season is not going as well as last year. All that said, we are at 3-2. With last year's performance level I think we would likely be at 4-1 (I think we would have beat Wake). Going forward I think we probably end up maybe one more game down on the remaining ones compared with how last year's team would have theoretically done.

We've got 7 games left in the regular season; I think we win five of them (and end up 8-4), I think last year's team playing this year with the same schedule would win six of them and end up (10-2). Just my opinion. (Which is probably only worth about what you paid for it. :-) )
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post:
sdiggety

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 9th, 2019, 4:27 pm

AgMac wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 6:14 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 5:21 pm
AgMac wrote:

I'm not sure to which part you take exception. If it was that Chuckie was the better college QB, certainly that's just an opinion. But if you're disagreeing with what I've said about CK's scrambing vs. JL's scrambling, then we're living on different planets. If nothing was there for Chuckie, he was very effective at scrambling and getting something. That is simply not part of Love's game.

He paid a price for it too.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » October 9th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Love needs a wake up call. The miss-played snaps need to have consequences. I know the weather was a factor against CSU but I'm just done with it. I posted in chat that Love needs to be benched if he drops a snap. Gary should tell him in a team meeting that he's coming out of the game if he drops another snap. Let the other players hear it. Let the center hear it.

Bench him for a series if he drops it between the 20 yard lines and bench him for a quarter if he drops one inside the 20 on either side of the field, or if the other team recovers the ball. Tell the team what's going to happen.

I'm just over it. Regoddamndiculuous
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 9th, 2019, 10:35 pm

El Sapo wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 6:46 pm
Love needs a wake up call. The miss-played snaps need to have consequences. I know the weather was a factor against CSU but I'm just done with it. I posted in chat that Love needs to be benched if he drops a snap. Gary should tell him in a team meeting that he's coming out of the game if he drops another snap. Let the other players hear it. Let the center hear it.

Bench him for a series if he drops it between the 20 yard lines and bench him for a quarter if he drops one inside the 20 on either side of the field, or if the other team recovers the ball. Tell the team what's going to happen.

Damion Hobbes was shipped to Siberia for his final two years by Wells after dropping a snap.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 10th, 2019, 12:13 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 10:35 pm
El Sapo wrote:
October 9th, 2019, 6:46 pm

Damion Hobbes was shipped to Siberia for his final two years by Wells after dropping a snap.
We will see if love is a competitor these next few games. He knows his numbers better than any of us and if he is a competitor he’s going to want to show up any critics. At least that’s probably what would drive me a little extra. I think these next few games he is going to get a chance to do that also. He’s gonna put the mtn west on notice.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » October 10th, 2019, 7:14 am

El Sapo wrote:Love needs a wake up call. The miss-played snaps need to have consequences. I know the weather was a factor against CSU but I'm just done with it. I posted in chat that Love needs to be benched if he drops a snap. Gary should tell him in a team meeting that he's coming out of the game if he drops another snap. Let the other players hear it. Let the center hear it.

Yeah. Let’s bench a future first round draft pick. Good idea, you are brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 10th, 2019, 7:21 am

I believe Kent Myers knew his stats better than Love. He made sure to tweet them out after every game. I do think he may not have known the score of the games though.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Locked Previous topicNext topic