Random Pet Peeve

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
thegreendalegelf

Random Pet Peeve

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 9th, 2019, 11:29 am

Am I alone in hating the insulting variations on our rivals? For example, ewets, boogers, etc. I feel like these are childish and pretty lame. There are a few exceptions, BYU-P being one. I simply feel like these types of names remove validity from your side of the argument. For example, "BYU doesn't look great this year" vs "The Boogers don't look great this year" just have different feels to them. I understand that for some that is the point. But I don't think BYU fans are annoyed by it any more than we are by being called cows, dairy ewets, or that we are in Ogden.

Am I alone in this?
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post (total 8):
Cast Iron AggieyeaboybrownjeansLightbringerSweepDanceDwigtcvalaceofspadeskb

oleblu111
RIP

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by oleblu111 » September 9th, 2019, 11:44 am

I could care less if YBU is annoyed by insulting variations by which we refer to them. I do not see the ewe of ewe as a rival given they do not play us so it appears you are concerned about names called YBU. I have heard USU called dairy ewets, which is kind of clever

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 9th, 2019, 12:01 pm

It doesn't bother me either way. I read your examples the exact same way.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » September 9th, 2019, 12:02 pm

doesn't really bother me, but it's not my thing.

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » September 9th, 2019, 12:16 pm

you are correct, very random.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 9th, 2019, 12:18 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 11:29 am
Am I alone in hating the insulting variations on our rivals? For example, ewets, boogers, etc. I feel like these are childish and pretty lame. There are a few exceptions, BYU-P being one. I simply feel like these types of names remove validity from your side of the argument. For example, "BYU doesn't look great this year" vs "The Boogers don't look great this year" just have different feels to them. I understand that for some that is the point. But I don't think BYU fans are annoyed by it any more than we are by being called cows, dairy ewets, or that we are in Ogden.

Am I alone in this?
You're not alone. I think it's stupid too. "The pukes..." I just never said anything because I try to pick and choose my battles.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
Cast Iron Aggiethegreendalegelfcval

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 9th, 2019, 12:57 pm

I hate it. My reason for hating it is that it inhibits clear, concise communication. As a former technical writer, I find that distasteful.
As someone who appreciates clever language for the intent to be funny, I appreciate the effort, but it's worse than a worn-out dad joke.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelfSweepDance

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » September 9th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Not a fan of it either - but it’s not a big enough annoyance for me to call anyone out on it. It does seem prepubescent

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » September 9th, 2019, 1:39 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:

Am I alone in this?
Depends on who you ask. Check with Huntley: "They (BYU) so poo-poo."

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 9th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Not alone. Smack talk without any cleverness is a cardinal sin.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
thegreendalegelf

Machismo

Post by Machismo » September 9th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Sheldon Cooper, King of clever trash talk..

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 9th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Agree 100% with OP.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
Cast Iron Aggie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » September 9th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Well, isn't this earth shattering reading material. I tried, but not very hard, to actually care about this topic. :crazy:
;)
(just teasing you)

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » September 9th, 2019, 6:22 pm

I think for some of the terms there is some wit though. For instance the term "Zoobies" for BYU - perfectly encapsulates the idea that they are odd, on display, self-righteous, and just plan weird - and therefore should be in zoo. Likewise, switching the letters' order (YBU?) and adding an inflection makes a clear statement that anyone with a brain and any options wouldn't choose to go there. And of course "boogers" rhyms with "Cougars" (sort of) and everyone is just naturally disgusted with other peoples' boogers. I don't care about any of the other universities' nick names.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post:
oleblu111

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » September 9th, 2019, 6:24 pm

I will add that it seems pretty immature and childish. YBU, coogers, boogars, Pukes, etc. make me basically not take your post very serious.

Sorry to be that guy too but it’s like you never grew out of 2nd grade name calling. Sound educated.

Bulls On Parade
These users thanked the author Socrates2121 for the post:
cval

Bulls On Parade

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » September 9th, 2019, 6:26 pm

I agree those names are just silly... that's why I call them things I can't post on here 😎

Go Aggies!

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » September 9th, 2019, 6:48 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:

Am I alone in this?

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 9th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Why would it bother a aggie fan that I call BYU, YBU what the hell does it matter.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
USU78bigblue

sdiggety

Post by sdiggety » September 9th, 2019, 7:27 pm

We've got the nickname police over here.

You've never had any guy friends that nickname everyone and everything?? Let the fans nickname the players, the rivals, the coach, the announcers, and don't sweat the small stuff. If you'd like, you can use the complete university name and ensure correct punctuation and grammar in all your posts. Personally I still like to call BYU the self-righteous and dirtiest team in college football or the nut-punchers! I hope we beat BYU so consistently that they also get too scared to schedule us and we can play some quality p5 teams. Whether or not you nickname them, they'll nickname you (little brother)
These users thanked the author sdiggety for the post:
oleblu111

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 9th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Put me down for “not my thing, but doesn’t really bother me.”

People should “fan” exactly how they want to “fan” though.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
AgMactysteve20Chupamedia

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 9th, 2019, 8:48 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:

Am I alone in this?
I would never call the BYU Tigers by the wrong name.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm

I really think we should turn our focus to the Asstechs right now.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 8):
lionheadNVAggieAgMacaggies22Usu0505oleblu111treesap32TrueBigBlue

lionhead

Post by lionhead » September 9th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Quite frankly, this whole discussion is difficult for me to understand since I graduated from the AC.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 10th, 2019, 6:02 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:49 pm
I really think we should turn our focus to the Asstechs right now.
:lol: :golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
oleblu111

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » September 10th, 2019, 10:16 am

While I'm not a fan of most of the sophomoric nicknames on here (though I have fully embraced the BYU-P designation for clarity's sake), their use doesn't rise to the level of a true pet peeve. Here are some actual pet peeves:

1. Standing to the left or blocking the entire escalator -- particularly on an escalator going down to a train where commuters are often attempting to race to catch the train.

2. Standing/walking slow/zig-zag walking/walking 3-4 abreast on a sidewalk. These are sideWALKS not sideSTANDS. Keep it moving and walk on the right so pedestrians walking faster than you can pass you on your left.

3. Drivers who drive slowly in the left lane. The left lane is for passing only. If you're not passing someone, you should be in the right lane. (EXCEPTION: HEAVY traffic.)

4. Drivers who believe that a "Left Lane Closed Ahead" means you MUST merge now and who then block the open lane for 1-2 miles before the actual merger. Idiots. Traffic logistical science demonstrates that waiting to merge at the actual merge with a polite every-other-car approach at the actual merge is the most efficient, safest, least traffic-jam-causing approach. Blocking traffic for an extra two miles often causes excessive traffic jams for miles. Long-haul truckers are particularly bad offenders, often staying in the open lane and blocking it so other vehicles cannot go around them. Some states now post signs advising drivers NOT to merge until the actual merger. The last-minute system, dubbed the “zipper merge,” suggests that all drivers wait until they’re almost at the fork in the road or start of the closed lane to merge over. Instead of creating a long line of cars at a standstill in the right lane, waiting until the last second maximizes road capacity, since cars are moving in both lanes and makes the road safer.

5. Loudly sucking up snot. Yuck. Go blow your nose.

6. Talking loudly on the phone on the train. If you must take/make a call on the train, keep it short and as quiet as possible.

7. Queue jumping. If there is a queue, go to the back of it and wait your turn.

8. Landmark/photo-op blocking by people taking 40 pictures then standing there blocking the photo-op while looking through all 40 pics before moving on.

9. Littering. Throw your trash in a waste receptacle. And why do smokers believe it is their right to toss their butts wherever they like?

10. Roughly 97% of all Tweets.
Last edited by ChicAggie on September 10th, 2019, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 2):
LightbringerTransplantedSpud

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 10th, 2019, 10:27 am

ChicAggie wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 10:16 am
While I'm not a fan of most of the sophomoric nicknames on here (though I have fully embraced the BYU-P designation for clarity's sake), their use doesn't rise to the level of a true pet peeves. Here are some actual pet peeves:

1. Standing to the left or blocking the entire escalator -- particularly on an escalator going down to a train where commuters are often attempting to race to catch the train.

2. Standing/walking slow/zig-zag walking/walking 3-4 abreast on a sidewalk. These are sideWALKS not sideSTANDS. Keep it moving and walk on the right so pedestrians walking faster than you can pass you on your left.

3. Drivers who drive slowly in the left lane. The left lane is for passing only. If you're not passing someone, you should be in the right lane. (EXCEPTION: HEAVY traffic.)

4. Drivers who believe that a "Left Lane Closed Ahead" means you MUST merge now and who then block the open lane for 1-2 miles before the actual merger. Idiots. Traffic logistical science demonstrates that waiting to merge at the actual merge with a polite every-other-car approach at the actual merge is the most efficient, safest, least traffic-jam-causing approach. Blocking traffic for an extra two miles often causes excessive traffic jams for miles. Long-haul truckers are particularly bad offenders, often staying in the open lane and blocking it so other vehicles cannot go around them. Some states now post signs advising drivers NOT to merge until the actual merger. The last-minute system, dubbed the “zipper merge,” suggests that all drivers wait until they’re almost at the fork in the road or start of the closed lane to merge over. Instead of creating a long line of cars at a standstill in the right lane, waiting until the last second maximizes road capacity, since cars are moving in both lanes and makes the road safer.

6. Talking loudly on the phone on the train. If you must take/make a call on the train, keep it short and as quiet as possible.

8. Landmark/photo-op blocking by people taking 40 pictures then standing there blocking the photo-op while looking through all 40 pics before moving on.

9. Littering. Throw your trash in a waste receptacle. And why do smokers believe it is their right to toss their butts wherever they like?

Are you me?

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » September 10th, 2019, 10:45 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 10:27 am
ChicAggie wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 10:16 am
While I'm not a fan of most of the sophomoric nicknames on here (though I have fully embraced the BYU-P designation for clarity's sake), their use doesn't rise to the level of a true pet peeves. Here are some actual pet peeves:

Are you me?
11. The misuse of the word "nonplussed"

12. Adding an "s" to the end of "anyway"

13. The phrase "it is what it is". Of course it is. What else would it be if it was not what it was?

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » September 10th, 2019, 11:49 am

I had a highway patrol pull over a semi for doing #4 on ChicAggie's list. Made my week.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
ChicAggie

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » September 10th, 2019, 12:16 pm

no one does the zipper method when merging, which is why it pisses me off that people zip down to merge at the latest possible position. get people to do the zipper method first, then worry about when people merge. but blocking traffic is douchey.

i suck the snot back because it's in the back of my throat. i can't hock the loogie and i can't blow my nose. most medicines are ineffective. if it's any relief to you, i get grossed out doing it myself and i try to do it when i'm on the can but sometimes... eh.

now, for a real pet peeve:

being dressed up at home depot. i was blocked from getting toilet plumbing supplies -- toilet plumbing supplies, for crying out loud! -- by an armani exchange t-shirt wearing fool with a gold chain, slicked back hair, too much cologne, too fancy a watch, and too clean of shoes the other day. go home and wear paint/sawdust/drywall mud covered jeans and a disgusting old t-shirt like the rest of us. and if you don't have the decency to do that, accept that you're a 2nd class citizen at home depot and get out of the way and apologize. do you see me getting in the way of the folks who do this stuff day in and day out for a living? no! they get first choice of materials and they go ahead of me in line the way God intended.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » September 10th, 2019, 12:55 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 10:45 am
My perspective is that 95% of people believe nonplussed means something close to the opposite of what it actually means, so even if you use it correctly those people think you're using it incorrectly. And the 5% of people who actually knows what the word means ASSUME the person using it doesn't know what it means, so there is the possibility for confusion even between two people who know exactly what it means. The solution: just don't use it at all.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » September 10th, 2019, 1:30 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 12:55 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 10:45 am
My perspective is that 95% of people believe nonplussed means something close to the opposite of what it actually means, so even if you use it correctly those people think you're using it incorrectly. And the 5% of people who actually knows what the word means ASSUME the person using it doesn't know what it means, so there is the possibility for confusion even between two people who know exactly what it means. The solution: just don't use it at all.
Not using the word at all is how the terrorists win. But seriously, I can't just give up a perfectly good word all because people don't know how/want to use it correctly. Especially when I'm reading a book and the author uses it to mean it's exact opposite. They should know better.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » September 10th, 2019, 1:41 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 12:16 pm
no one does the zipper method when merging, which is why it pisses me off that people zip down to merge at the latest possible position. get people to do the zipper method first, then worry about when people merge. but blocking traffic is douchey.

i suck the snot back because it's in the back of my throat. i can't hock the loogie and i can't blow my nose. most medicines are ineffective. if it's any relief to you, i get grossed out doing it myself and i try to do it when i'm on the can but sometimes... eh.
1. Getting pissed at someone else for doing a thing the right way just because everyone else is doing it the wrong way seems counterproductive and nonsensical. You should be applauding the driver with the courage to zip by everyone else and merge at the last minute. If enough people do it, then everyone will do it.

2. I hear you and I'm sympathetic. We all get into that situation. But I don't think I'm going out on a limb to suggest it is polite to wait until your either in private or when you're alone with your spouse so you can cause her to gag uncontrollably. I have a colleague who regularly does it in meetings and in the office right next door to mine. It's disgusting and highly unprofessional -- particularly given that he is SWALLOWING that sh!t.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » September 10th, 2019, 1:46 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 1:41 pm
1. Getting pissed at someone else for doing a thing the right way just because everyone else is doing it the wrong way seems counterproductive and nonsensical. You should be applauding the driver with the courage to zip by everyone else and merge at the last minute. If enough people do it, then everyone will do it.

2. I hear you and I'm sympathetic. We all get into that situation. But I don't think I'm going out on a limb to suggest it is polite to wait until your either in private or when you're alone with your spouse so you can cause her to gag uncontrollably. I have a colleague who regularly does it in meetings and in the office right next door to mine. It's disgusting and highly unprofessional -- particularly given that he is SWALLOWING that sh!t.
1. getting pissed at all is counterproductive and nonsensical. :joking:

2. i'll do my best. discretion is key.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » September 10th, 2019, 1:48 pm

I am completely nonplussed at how this thread has turned out
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
AgMan21

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » September 10th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Other MAJOR pet peeve:

Being in a public restroom and seeing someone walk out the door without washing their hands. I was in the Asheville, NC airport a couple of weeks ago. I made three separate trips to the bathroom (once when I landed, and twice while I was waiting to take off), and based on my limited observations, fewer than 20% of men using those restrooms washed their hands. It's obviously even worse when someone exits a sit-down stall and walks straight out without pausing at a sink. It's both disgusting and completely inconsiderate of others. I find it almost even worse when someone pauses at the sink, gets one hand wet, and shakes it off -- the "pretend wash." It's an intellectually dishonest attempt to trick themselves and others.

Locked Previous topicNext topic