What happened to the cannon?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
WasatchAggie
Posts: 574
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:58 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 15 times

What happened to the cannon?

Post by WasatchAggie » September 7th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Did we finally drop Army ROTC? If so, what happened?



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 352
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by Sl7vk » September 7th, 2019, 9:25 pm

My son noticed right away that we no longer had the guys doing push-ups.



User avatar
GUS
Posts: 2494
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 62 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by GUS » September 7th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Wondered that also. ROTC still did the flag ceremony at the start, so they are still around.



Aggieforlife
Posts: 536
Joined: September 1st, 2015, 5:12 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by Aggieforlife » September 7th, 2019, 9:56 pm

I was told that the university didn’t want to pay the fee the ROTC wanted to come do the canon.



User avatar
TrueBigBlue
Posts: 2512
Joined: November 12th, 2010, 12:14 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by TrueBigBlue » September 7th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Aggieforlife wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 9:56 pm
I was told that the university didn’t want to pay the fee the ROTC wanted to come do the canon.
Well if they charge per shot it probably has gotten pretty expensive lately
These users liked this post from TrueBigBlue:
Bill_George



trombone_ninja
Posts: 1160
Joined: November 24th, 2013, 1:59 pm
Location: Greeley, CO
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by trombone_ninja » September 7th, 2019, 10:13 pm

I was told there was some sort of issue in negotiations with the parties involved and that they may be back later in the season


USUFans’ resident band nerd
Providing useless “insider” info since 2013
Go Aggies!!!

LKGates
Posts: 3253
Joined: December 13th, 2010, 10:07 pm
Location: Salem, Oregon
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 180 times
Contact:

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by LKGates » September 7th, 2019, 10:27 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:09 pm
Did we finally drop Army ROTC? If so, what happened?
We can't. A requirement of the Morrill Land Grant Act is that Land Grant Colleges must have ROTC programs. They must also have engineering, agriculture, and home economics, and their libraries are official federal government document repositories.
These users liked this post from LKGates. Total Likes: 3
USU78thegreendalegelfAggieFBObsession


Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

WasatchAggie
Posts: 574
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:58 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 15 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by WasatchAggie » September 7th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Well they’d better figure it out quick or they might lose the cannon. University’s in the past have had DOD take them back.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15082
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 408 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 8th, 2019, 12:23 am

My 7 year old noticed immediately and was overjoyed. He hates the cannon. He has very sensitive ears and doesn’t like any loud noises. He struggles with the Spectrum noise too.



User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4227
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by aceofspadeskb » September 8th, 2019, 10:22 am

I for one, want the big boom fireworks back. Back in the day everyone in Cache Valley would instantly know when the Aggies scored. Much better than the dinky cannon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

These users liked this post from aceofspadeskb. Total Likes: 3
TurtleAggie_in_IdahoFull



User avatar
bigblue
2012 Gridiron KickOff Pick'em Champion & 2016 Bowl Pick'em Champion
Posts: 2068
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by bigblue » September 8th, 2019, 10:36 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:I for one, want the big boom fireworks back. Back in the day everyone in Cache Valley would instantly know when the Aggies scored. Much better than the dinky cannon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Those were the days!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

USUMAE
Posts: 164
Joined: September 3rd, 2015, 2:41 pm
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by USUMAE » September 8th, 2019, 10:36 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 10:22 am
I for one, want the big boom fireworks back. Back in the day everyone in Cache Valley would instantly know when the Aggies scored. Much better than the dinky cannon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
With how much our team will likely score, that'll cost a fortune!



User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4227
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by aceofspadeskb » September 8th, 2019, 10:38 am

USUMAE wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 10:22 am
I for one, want the big boom fireworks back. Back in the day everyone in Cache Valley would instantly know when the Aggies scored. Much better than the dinky cannon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
With how much our team will likely score, that'll cost a fortune!
But it could also help bring in a fortune. Each boom is an advertisement of what the rest of cache Valley is missing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk




SectionFaggie
Posts: 104
Joined: December 18th, 2016, 7:27 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by SectionFaggie » September 8th, 2019, 10:46 am

This is way better than what happened at Kent State yesterday. KSU made two teams visiting for an invitational tourney end a field hockey game near the football stadium that had gone to a second OT so that the school could use kickoff fireworks safely in the stadium. It was declared a No Contest. doh!



oleblu111
Posts: 1205
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 130 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by oleblu111 » September 8th, 2019, 11:52 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:23 am
My 7 year old noticed immediately and was overjoyed. He hates the cannon. He has very sensitive ears and doesn’t like any loud noises. He struggles with the Spectrum noise too.
Poor kid he must not have a lot of fun at loud games, that is to bad.



stewusu98
Posts: 1369
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:42 am
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by stewusu98 » September 8th, 2019, 12:08 pm

bigblue wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 10:36 am
aceofspadeskb wrote:I for one, want the big boom fireworks back. Back in the day everyone in Cache Valley would instantly know when the Aggies scored. Much better than the dinky cannon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Those were the days!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It was amazing for those two home games a year when we would score. LOL



Mike_Child
Posts: 6
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 8:48 am
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by Mike_Child » September 8th, 2019, 7:18 pm

I'll bet Aggie Sports Properties got involved and wanted to charge them $10K! Happened to us! Go Aggies!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk




bluegrouse
Posts: 2879
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 269 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by bluegrouse » September 8th, 2019, 7:36 pm

I miss the fireworks too.



User avatar
Turtle
Posts: 128
Joined: December 11th, 2018, 7:10 pm
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by Turtle » September 8th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Mike_Child wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 7:18 pm
I'll bet Aggie Sports Properties got involved and wanted to charge them $10K! Happened to us! Go Aggies!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Wait.. more information on this??



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15082
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 408 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 8th, 2019, 9:20 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 11:52 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:23 am
My 7 year old noticed immediately and was overjoyed. He hates the cannon. He has very sensitive ears and doesn’t like any loud noises. He struggles with the Spectrum noise too.
Poor kid he must not have a lot of fun at loud games, that is to bad.
What's odd is fireworks, the blender, and the lawn mower are too loud for him, but my wife and I can be 10 feet away talking to him and it's like he doesn't hear us the first 4-5 times we say his name.
These users liked this post from hipsterdoofus21:
FloridaAggie13



Ahbye
Posts: 1677
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by Ahbye » September 10th, 2019, 12:52 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 9:20 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 11:52 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:23 am
My 7 year old noticed immediately and was overjoyed. He hates the cannon. He has very sensitive ears and doesn’t like any loud noises. He struggles with the Spectrum noise too.
Poor kid he must not have a lot of fun at loud games, that is to bad.
What's odd is fireworks, the blender, and the lawn mower are too loud for him, but my wife and I can be 10 feet away talking to him and it's like he doesn't hear us the first 4-5 times we say his name.
This was/is happening with my daughter too. Loud sounds really bothered her but she didn't hear our voices at normal levels. We solved the voices part. Turns out she couldn't hear us over the wifi connection.
These users liked this post from Ahbye. Total Likes: 3
hipsterdoofus21FloridaAggie13treesap32



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 727
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 11th, 2019, 12:25 pm

LKGates wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:27 pm
WasatchAggie wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:09 pm
Did we finally drop Army ROTC? If so, what happened?
We can't. A requirement of the Morrill Land Grant Act is that Land Grant Colleges must have ROTC programs. They must also have engineering, agriculture, and home economics, and their libraries are official federal government document repositories.
This largely drives my fandom of other schools...


Image



NavyBlue
Posts: 287
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:37 am
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by NavyBlue » September 11th, 2019, 12:54 pm

LKGates wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:27 pm
WasatchAggie wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:09 pm
Did we finally drop Army ROTC? If so, what happened?
We can't. A requirement of the Morrill Land Grant Act is that Land Grant Colleges must have ROTC programs. They must also have engineering, agriculture, and home economics, and their libraries are official federal government document repositories.
I'm pretty sure we can drop Army ROTC, because it did go away for a couple years in the '90s. I know because I was taking classes and considering joining it officially. I was told it went away because of a lack of participation, everyone wanted to be in Air Force ROTC. The only Navy ROTC program in Utah is at the U.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15082
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 408 times

Re: What happened to the cannon?

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 11th, 2019, 7:43 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 12:25 pm
LKGates wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:27 pm
WasatchAggie wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:09 pm
Did we finally drop Army ROTC? If so, what happened?
We can't. A requirement of the Morrill Land Grant Act is that Land Grant Colleges must have ROTC programs. They must also have engineering, agriculture, and home economics, and their libraries are official federal government document repositories.
This largely drives my fandom of other schools...


Image
The University of Nevada? Never heard of it. Are they a feeder school for UNR?



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic