Very odd interaction with a BYU fan on game night...

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFreak

Very odd interaction with a BYU fan on game night...

Post by AggieFreak » August 31st, 2019, 1:13 am

I know that we did not play BYU on Friday night... but that didn't stop me from having the weirdest interaction and unintended conflict that I have ever experienced with a BYU student / fan.

We were up in West Yellowstone on Friday night to take in a show at the Playmill Theater (which was freaking hilarious in case you were wondering). Well, it was game day and in true game day fashion I was sporting on of my Aggie shirts. After the show had finished, me and the family started to leave the theater. One of the cast members approached us and said, "I like your shirt." My wife assumed he was talking to me and said something like, "Go Aggies!" I need to mention that I truly love this woman. Apparently he was talking about my son's NASA shirt. Ok... no biggie. We continue to walk out of the theater.

The cast member follows behind us and proceeds to inform us how everything about Utah State is overrated, pathetic and worthless. It was very strange, but I assumed he was just a socially awkward college kid trying engage in a bit of friendly trash talk. I might have politely reminded him to check the scoreboard for the past several seasons and then tried to just leave the friggin theater like normal people do. He continued to follow us out the door making sure to point out that he didn't care much about sports anyway, but that we needed to understand that USU was a waste of money and was a pathetic educational institution. Dude, I am just trying to leave. I am a pretty calm guy. It takes quite a bit to rile me up. At this point my wife is seething. The guys keeps following us and keeps chirping about USU. I gave him a thumbs up and told him "Good for you" and finally made it out of the theater. It took a couple of blocks of brisk walking through West Yellowstone to get my blood pressure back down. Who does something like that? We are not at a sporting event. We are at a dang play, that we paid money to attend. A cast member of the play went out of his way to try and pick a fight with a family in the audience. Is it any wonder that so many people hate BYU fans?
These users thanked the author AggieFreak for the post:
aggies22

bluegrouse

Re: Very odd interaction with a BYU fan on game night...

Post by bluegrouse » August 31st, 2019, 5:48 am

They are a different breed altogether...

gomretat

Post by gomretat » August 31st, 2019, 6:23 am

They are altogether a different breed. I live amongst them in Utah County. The choice of who to cheer for when the two of them play is a no brainer. However ............this board is almost identical to Cougarboard after a loss.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » August 31st, 2019, 8:05 am

gomretat wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:23 am
They are altogether a different breed. I live amongst them in Utah County. The choice of who to cheer for when the two of them play is a no brainer. However ............this board is almost identical to Cougarboard after a loss.
I don't feel our fan board is any different than any fan board in America after a loss. We are fans that were investing our time and energy for a win and then expressing that investment to other fans. The major difference, and why you are wrong to compare the two boards, is that we typically internalize our loss whereas cougarboard externalizes their losses.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 31st, 2019, 8:48 am

Defining quality of BYU students: They can't mind their own damned business.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » August 31st, 2019, 9:07 am

I would have reacted much less nicely than you did!

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Locked Previous topicNext topic