I hope we run a 3-4 defense

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

I hope we run a 3-4 defense

Post by SLB » August 20th, 2019, 5:51 pm

From the look of the team's roster, our strength on defense is the front 7. Imagine having D. Anderson, Unga, Leilua, Tei, Galeai, Woodward, and Meitzenheimer as our front 7.

travelingagg

Re: I hope we run a 3-4 defense

Post by travelingagg » August 20th, 2019, 6:06 pm

SLB wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 5:51 pm
From the look of the team's roster, our strength on defense is the front 7. Imagine having D. Anderson, Unga, Leilua, Tei, Galeai, Woodward, and Meitzenheimer as our front 7.
Wow. I like our options at safety, too. The front seven might rush a quarterback into throwing passes Lefeged, Bond, Gunther, and now Adams might pick.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 20th, 2019, 6:16 pm

There is actually not a ton of difference between a 3-4 and the current 4-2-5. In all reality, you are going to have:

2 interior linemen, 2 exterior linemen (only real difference is if Tipa has his hand in the dirt or not), 2 interior linebackers, and 2 guys defending the edge (in a 3-4 it'll be two outside linebackers, in a 4-2-5 it'll be a nickle and a combo EDGE guy).

The differences are fairly subtle. I think our strength is in the front seven, just like you. The lineup you mentioned will get TONS of playing time, albeit with one of the linemen getting a breather while the others unleash hell.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionaggies22NVAggie

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

bull

Post by bull » August 20th, 2019, 7:50 pm

I can’t wait to watch our defense. With the talent level we have and the defensive genius of our coaches, I expect we will see many different looks through the season. Offenses will groan when they start to game plan for us. Should be the best D in the conference.
The closer I look at this team the more hyped I get. Top to bottom I think this is the most talented team we’ve ever had.
These users thanked the author bull for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 21st, 2019, 6:00 am

bull wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 7:50 pm
I can’t wait to watch our defense. With the talent level we have and the defensive genius of our coaches, I expect we will see many different looks through the season. Offenses will groan when they start to game plan for us. Should be the best D in the conference.
The closer I look at this team the more hyped I get. Top to bottom I think this is the most talented team we’ve ever had.
Don't forget, we just brought in our highest rated recruiting class EVER and most, if not all of them are going to redshirt. The one or two true freshmen that MIGHT play is Dominic Tatum and Enoch Nawahine.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » August 21st, 2019, 6:06 am

What do you think about Cam Lampkin, do you think he stays at CB or gets moved back to WR? He looks like a very good athlete.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 21st, 2019, 6:46 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 6:16 pm
There is actually not a ton of difference between a 3-4 and the current 4-2-5. In all reality, you are going to have:

2 interior linemen, 2 exterior linemen (only real difference is if Tipa has his hand in the dirt or not), 2 interior linebackers, and 2 guys defending the edge (in a 3-4 it'll be two outside linebackers, in a 4-2-5 it'll be a nickle and a combo EDGE guy).

The differences are fairly subtle. I think our strength is in the front seven, just like you. The lineup you mentioned will get TONS of playing time, albeit with one of the linemen getting a breather while the others unleash hell.
Yeah, not much different except instead of Chris Unga out there it'll be Andre Grayson. Not much change between those two though. :joking:

I'm with you. I like what we're doing. I think Tipa (and even Te'i) are more of a defensive end than they are LB at this point. I also like getting more speed on the field with that 5th defensive back.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 21st, 2019, 7:15 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 6:06 am
What do you think about Cam Lampkin, do you think he stays at CB or gets moved back to WR? He looks like a very good athlete.
I think that Cam will probably stay at CB for the remainder of the season unless they determine that they are deep enough with the addition of Terin Adams. Another factor is going to be the overall health of the cornerbacks. For the coaching staff to feel good about allowing Cam to return to WR the cornerbacks MUST stay healthy.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 21st, 2019, 7:23 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 7:15 am
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
I think that Cam will probably stay at CB for the remainder of the season unless they determine that they are deep enough with the addition of Terin Adams. Another factor is going to be the overall health of the cornerbacks. For the coaching staff to feel good about allowing Cam to return to WR the cornerbacks MUST stay healthy.
I am sure Cam would see more time at CB than WR this year, right? The addition of Adams makes him a fringe role player on D, but he's got to be a little bit further down the depth chart this year at WR I would assume.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 21st, 2019, 7:24 am

I think we stay with the 4-man front. It's what has been predominantly run during practice. Plus it's great to use in stopping the run-heavy teams on our schedule such as Air Force, New Mexico, and San Diego State.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 21st, 2019, 7:37 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 7:23 am
aggies22 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 7:15 am
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
I am sure Cam would see more time at CB than WR this year, right? The addition of Adams makes him a fringe role player on D, but he's got to be a little bit further down the depth chart this year at WR I would assume.
Because of numbers and the differences in the position yes. Cam would be the 4th slot WR right now, whereas he is currently 3rd at CB. I think he'll see the field in the maximum 4 games this year.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » August 21st, 2019, 7:46 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 7:24 am
I think we stay with the 4-man front. It's what has been predominantly run during practice. Plus it's great to use in stopping the run-heavy teams on our schedule such as Air Force, New Mexico, and San Diego State.
Plus you have a guy like Tipa who can play in space and cover the short routes if necessary. So if we face a pass heavy team, we can adjust.

But you mentioned those teams. Add Boise State to the list, especially this year. They must rely on their running game because the QB situation is volitile there.

I'm curious though. Has Tipa improved his quickness off the edge? Can the comparisons to Von Miller begin? :joking:

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 21st, 2019, 7:55 am

I like having the extra man in coverage for speed purposes. Tipa make the 4 man front much more dynamic than your typical 4 man front. It is going to be fun to watch.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » August 21st, 2019, 8:34 am

It’ll be interesting to see if we blitz as much this year. Seems under Wells we had a lot of exotic and disguised blitz packages. With the great Dline we have this year do you think we may just rush the front 4 more often than not or should we expect a lot of blitzing like recent years?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 21st, 2019, 8:38 am

I like an aggressive defense. That should be part of our Aggie DNA.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 21st, 2019, 10:10 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:

The only thing I would add is in the 3-4 the NT is the key to the line play. If he can't occupy the center and one of the guards on every play - holding his ground - the scheme breaks down as the guards release to engage the LB's.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so...

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 21st, 2019, 10:17 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 10:10 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

The only thing I would add is in the 3-4 the NT is the key to the line play. If he can't occupy the center and one of the guards on every play - holding his ground - the scheme breaks down as the guards release to engage the LB's.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so...
This holds true for any nickle package as well. You are relying on fewer fat guys to stop the same number of fat guys on the other side of the line. Without guys like Schuster and Unga, we wouldn't be able to play Tipa on the line. He is not built to take on two guys every single play. He is built to make tackles suffer.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » August 21st, 2019, 10:37 am

I think against run heavy teams when we need to stack the box I bet we'll see a defense where we have Fua, Devon, and Chris Unga all on the D-line.

I personally love how flexible our defense is shaping up to be. Especially with the ASU transfer.

We legit have a shot of having an elite defense this year.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
aggies22

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » August 21st, 2019, 11:11 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 8:34 am
It’ll be interesting to see if we blitz as much this year. Seems under Wells we had a lot of exotic and disguised blitz packages. With the great Dline we have this year do you think we may just rush the front 4 more often than not or should we expect a lot of blitzing like recent years?
I would guess if the line is as good as billed we'll see a lot less stunting. Gary likes man coverage a lot and if the 4 man front is able to make life hell on a qb then the DBs can get really physical knowing they have safety help deep and an all american MLB who can lay the wood on or jump slant routes, particularly on passing downs.

I'll bet when in that D they bring an extra guy maybe 25% of the time and possibly have a DE drop to cover flats or a TE occasionally and bring a LB or safety.

The reason a 4 man front is rarer and rarer is your D-ends need to be absolute studs. Guys able to both squeeze a tackle and not getted kicked out but still be able to beat a TE double and beat a fast RB to the Outside with the speed to react to a play action rollout and contain the QB. Tei fits the bill with his LB experience and increased bulk. Tipa is just such a finesse rush freak that he is really hard for a run blocking tackle to get on him to kick him out when he comes off of the edge so quick. He's liable to make the play in the backfield instead in a lead block play and appears to be a nightmare to option in the triple. Yeah there will be times he does get kicked out but he'll make up for it.

If you want to see the potential of this D watch what Wyoming did to the Aggies last year with a very similair D against the spread.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » August 21st, 2019, 11:46 am

I have to believe that with Coach A coaching this dl we're going to see some big improvements

Locked Previous topicNext topic